Rooftop Prince

Flawless

Cha. Eun. Woo. 

Everyone knew his name. Everyone knew his favorite color, his favorite song, and his favorite book. The TV show he chose to watch, everyone else would watch. The restaurant he chose to go to, everyone else would go too. He was a trend setter, popular, and the king of Westmount High. Who wouldn’t know him?

And then there’s me. I’m lucky if I say two words the whole school day. I sit in the back of the classroom, and everyone passes me by. Unnoticed. It’s not that people hate me, or that my personality is more rotten than the half eaten apple at the bottom of the waste basket… I just don’t talk. In a way… I’m too scared to. I don’t want to offend anyone, and I don’t want to hurt those I once called friends. Not anymore.

Anyway, today was my first day back to school since summer break, and I could help but feel a tiny bit excited. Call me crazy, but I missed learning different subjects. There wasn’t much to do over the summer, so my mind had a little too much time to think about things. I’m pretty sure I ended up confusing myself more than coming up with answers to my questions.  

Straightening my blazer, I nodded curtly at my reflection in the mirror. I wasn’t a freshman anymore. I could do this. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I shut the door carefully behind me. The hallways were quiet and dark, for the sun hadn’t woken up yet. I could still see the lamp posts glittering against the cool, autumn air, and the faint chirping of early birds rang throughout the silent. Creeping down the stairs, I peered down into my father’s room. “Goodbye,” I whispered, smiling a little before slipping out the door.

My footsteps echoed down the alleyway as I hurried to the bus stop. The cool air whipped around my head, messing up my hair that I desperately tried to keep untangled. It was no use.  

“Good morning,” the bus driver yawned, taking a swig of his coffee.

I nodded silently, swiping my bus pass across the scanner before shuffling to my seat. Deciding upon the far back corner, I sat down, and the bus rumbled to life. It wasn’t before long until the bus grew crowded. 

“Have a good day,” the bus driver mumbled as I hopped off. 

Watching the bus drive away, turned slowly to face the school building looming overhead. It was all so familiar, yet so distant at the same time. Though I spent most of my life behind those walls, it didn’t feel like… home. I guess I was partly to blame, for I never created any emotional attachment to the building to begin with. Setting my jaw, I joined the crowd of students bustling to the door, and slid inside.

 

“Good morning, class,” a tall, thin woman smiled warmly at the students sitting before her, “My name is Ms. Park, and I hope we get along nicely this year.”

The class mumbled something inaudible in return. 

“Alright then…” taking a deep breath, she glanced down at the clipboard in her hands, “I’ll begin roll call. Kang Eunsong?” 

“Here,” a girl towards the front chirped happily while glancing at the boy seated behind her. 

“Kim Sonhye?” 

“Here.” 

“Kim Boyeon?” 

“Here.”

“Noh Jiyeong?” 

“Here-” 

My mind wandered off as I stared out the window. Cars flew by, and the tiny people hurrying across the sidewalks came in all different shapes and sizes. Sometimes, I would make up stories for each little person. Maybe that old lady crossing the street was going to visit her grandson after a long year of separation, or maybe that couple holding hands just went on their first date. Such little things seemed to amuse me when nothing else would. Sometimes pretending not to be lonely tricked my mind into actually believing it. 

“Song Jangmi?” 

“Here,” I answered quietly, and the roll call continued without anyone noticing I was there.

 

It was a little past noon, and there I was. Sitting all by myself on the roof of the school. I liked it there, for I could think clearly. I could hear my own thoughts, and sprawl out against the floor without anyone noticing or caring. Laying against the cement, I gazed up at the sky, picking out the different shapes formed by the clouds. 

“That’s a castle,” I mumbled, chewing my sandwich slowly, “And that’s the little rabbit that comes to visit. There’s evil Mister Frog,” frowning, I shook my head, “Why does he always show up?” I sighed, taking another bite of my sandwich, “But there’s Sir Blob coming to-”

“-Let’s stop,” a boy’s voice suddenly rang out.

“Oppa-”

“Don’t,” the boy’s voice snapped, “We’re done.”

“Please,” a girl cried out, “Please, give me another chance-”

“Please leave,” the boy answered wearily.

“Oppa-”

The door to the roof swung open, and the bickering couple proceeded onto the cement.

“I’m done, Sunghwi. Okay?”

The girl clung onto his arm, “You still love me! You don’t have to do this!”

“Don’t-”

Suddenly realizing I was staring at them, their eyes widened in surprise.

“Oppa-” the girl whispered, tugging on his sleeve, “Let’s talk about this somewhere else… that weird girl is up here again-”

“No,” he yanked his arm away.

“Oppa-”

Sighing, I rose to my feet, “I’ll leave. Just give me a-” I answered quietly only to be cut off.

“No, the only one leaving his her,” the boy answered coldly, glaring at the girl before him.

I shut my mouth, shrinking back into the shadows. So much for talking…

“Oppa-”

“Here,” he tossed back a fuzzy looking item to her, “I won’t be needing this anymore.”

“Oppa-”

“You better hurry back. He’ll be worried about you.”

Gritting her teeth, the girl spun on her heel and stormed out the door.

Sighing, the boy scratched the back of his neck wearily, “Sorry,” he muttered, turning to meet my eyes.

I froze slightly, immediately recognizing the boy before me, “C-Cha Eunwoo-”

“Uh… did you want an autograph or something?” he shifted uncomfortably.

I shook my head, “N-no.”

Turning his head, he frowned slightly, “What did you say your name was?”

“S-Song Jangmi,” I answered more quietly than I had before.

He nodded, staring at the floor in silence, “You don’t talk much, do you?”

I shook my head.

“That’s a first…” he muttered.

“What?” I frowned.

“Normally I’m the one that doesn’t talk,” he offered a tiny smile, “I should probably head back. It was nice meeting you.”

I nodded, watching him disappear through the door once more. Letting out a slow and heavy breath, I swallowed hard against my racing heart. Did I just witness… Sunghwi and Eunwoo fight? Did I just watch the golden couple break up? I shook my head. I’m probably just imagining things. It wouldn’t be the first time.