I Hear Your Voice

Flawless

 “I’m home!” I called rather quietly as the door slammed shut behind me. I cringed at the loud bang, carefully peeking down the hallway. The apartment was still quiet, and not a soul seemed to disturb the silence. I let out a long sigh before replacing my shoes with slippers and setting my bag down beside the door.

“Jangmi!” the weary voice of my father was muffled against the door to his room.

“Coming!” I hastily grabbed the bottle of pills on the kitchen counter and a glass of water before hurrying into his room.

My father’s eyes were worn and tired, as if he had seen far too much in far too little time. He was bedridden, and his arms and legs had become no more than skin and bones. It frightened me, seeing him this way. I’d wake up in the middle of the night screaming and run to his room just to make sure he was still there. I wasn’t scared easily, but seeing the one person I truly loved and admired on death’s doorstep… it was unsettling.

“How was school?” he rasped, and though his voice was tired, I could still feel his warmth in those words.

“It was fine,” I smiled, “My homeroom teacher seems really nice.”

“That’s good,” he nodded slowly, “And how are your friends.”

“They’re doing well,” I lied with a smile. To be honest, I didn’t have time for friends, not with my father like this, but I didn’t want him to worry.

“You should spend more time with them,” my father stared at me solemnly.

I shook my head, “No, I see them enough at school. Besides, I want to spend time with you.”

He sighed, sinking lower in the covers of his bed, “I’m worried about you. You shouldn’t be taking on this kind of work.”

Smiling, I squeezed his hand gently, “I’m fine. I promise.”

 

“-you may be dismissed for lunch,” Ms. Park announced finally, and the scraping of chairs against the floor announced the end of the period.

Digging into my bag, I drew out a small box containing the soup and rice leftover from last night. I slipped past the students hurrying down the hall to receive their school lunch, and I climbed up the stairs to the roof. Smiling a little, I swung the door to the open and let the cool, autumn breeze wrap its arms about me. As much as I enjoyed the classroom, I couldn’t help but long for lunch time. When I was alone, I could be myself without anybody noticing or caring. Finally, I was alone-

“I’m sorry,” I stopped abruptly, staring at the boy before me, “I didn’t realize you would be here-”

The boy turned around, and my eyes widened a little more. Cha Eunwoo smiled, shaking his head, “Don’t leave.”

I stood, frozen in my place as he stood there. Smiling at me. “Um…” I cleared my throat awkwardly.

“Ah,” he scratched the back of his neck, embarrassed, “Sorry, I just wanted some fresh air.”

I nodded silently, staring at anything but him.

“Um… do you mind if I eat with you?” he asked quietly.

“What?” my eyes snapped up to meet his.

“I mean, you don’t have to if you don’t want to. I understand. I just wanted to get away from her- I mean everything-”

“I-it’s fine,” I nodded, smiling.

“Thanks,” he looked down at his hands before nodding towards the edge of the roof, “Do you want to sit here? I like the view.”

I nodded, sitting down next to him, and turned to face the sky. For most people, silence seemed… strained or awkward. Yet, even between the silence right now, I could almost hear him speaking without any words shared at all. Glancing over at him, I frowned slightly, “Do you not have a lunch.”

He hesitated, then shook his head, “No…”

Biting my lip, I sat my box on his lap, “Take mine.”

“I can’t do that-”

“You need to eat,” I smiled, “I’ll eat when I get home.”

He nodded slowly, “Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

Smiling a little he stared down at the box before adding, “You know, I think this is the most I’ve ever heard you talk.”

I nodded, “That’s probably because it is.”

“I guess we have that in common…”

For the first time in years, I had spoken more than two words to someone. It was… odd. For some reason, I wasn’t scared. Maybe… just maybe we could be friends.