Angel Eyes

Flawless

 

“Jangmi-ah,” my father’s voice sounded even more weak and fragile than before, but even then, he was smiling, “Don’t worry about me, okay?”

I nodded, watching the movers empty all of my stuff into the truck parked outside, “I’ll visit you everyday. I’ll make you lots of food and bring presents and-”

“Jangmi-ah,” my father gripped my hands, “My daughter, you are too kind to me. Spend time with your friend and his family.”

I looked down. To be honest… I was really nervous about that. “What if they don’t like me?”

“They’ll love you,” my father shook his head, “You are my beautiful rose. They will be able to cherish you more than I ever will be in this state.”

A tiny, sad smile tugged at the corners of my lips, “Don’t say that…”

“Don’t forget to eat enough and sleep,” kissing my hands, he stared at me sincerely, “I don’t want to hear you ended up in the hospital again.”

“I-”

The front door banged open, and in tumbled all six boys of Astro.

“Jangmi Noona!” Sanha exclaimed, rushing over to capture me in a giant bear hug.

“Wow… so this is your house?” MJ examined all the pictures hanging on the walls, “Jangmi-ah! You were so cute-”

“Yah,” Moonbin slapped him over the head, “Stop staring at her stuff.”

“Do you need any help?” Jinjin smiled.

I shook my head, “Um… I think the movers got it all… and I don’t have that much anyway so…”

“We should go and get something to eat!” MJ exclaimed suddenly, “Because you need to eat more!”

I glanced back at my father, “W-well-”

“Is that your father?” Eunwoo spoke quietly, reaching my side.

I nodded, “Um… father, this is Eunwoo. The one I’m going to be staying with.”

My father smiled as Eunwoo bowed, “Thank you, son.”

Eunwoo nodded, smiling gently, “I’ll protect her. Don’t worry.”

“Yah, let’s go eat,” MJ moaned, “I haven’t eaten since an hour ago-”

“Shut up,” Rocky snapped, “Can’t you see she spending time with her father?”

“Oh-”

“It’s alright,” my father shook his head, “Go on and eat. I’ll be fine.”

 

“Wah… there’s so many choices,” Sanha stared at the menu turned to me, “Jangmi Noona, what are you gonna eat?”

I shrugged. To be honest, I wasn’t used to being in such a busy restaurant- or any restaurant for that matter.

“I want to get black noodles,” Sanha continued, “Because when we become trainees, I won’t be able to eat them.”

“Oooh, I want beef!” Rocky pointed at the dish.

“I hope they come out with lots of side dishes,” MJ sighed, “I really want those squid thingies.”

“Jangmi-ah?” Eunwoo spoke quietly, turning to me, “What’s your favorite food.”

“Um…” I bit my lip, “I really like Spicy Rice Cakes, but-”

Eunwoo nodded slowly, then got up, “Jangmi-ah forgot something at her home. We’ll see you later, okay?” With that, he took my wrist and dragged me out of the restaurant.

“W-where are me going?” I managed to get out.

“You wanted Spicy Rice Cakes,” he smiled, “And since they don’t serve them there, we’ll go somewhere else.”

Blood rose to my cheeks, “I could have just eaten something else-”

He shook his head, “You weren’t comfortable there, right?”

I looked down. No, I wasn’t.

“Then let’s go somewhere else.” He led me down the street to a small vendor on the side of the road, “Halmoni?” he called to old woman working the station, “Two Spicy Rice Cakes, please!”

The old woman looked up, then grinned, “Eunwoo-ah! It’s so nice to see you again!”

He smiled.

Pouring the rice cakes into two separate containers, the old woman looked back, “Where’s Sunghwi-ah?”

Eunwoo stiffened a little, “We… uh… broke up.”

“Finally,” the woman nodded in agreement, “I never liked her too much. She was too… smart. She knew she was a looker, and that isn’t a good thing.”

Eunwoo smiled but said nothing more.

“Ah! And who is this?” the woman suddenly noticed me.

“Oh!” Eunwoo moved over, “This is Jangmi-ah.”

“Is she your new girl?” the woman smiled.

I blushed, “N-”

Eunwoo cut me off, lacing his fingers through mine, “Yeah.”

“Ah… she’s very pretty,” the woman nodded, smiling as she held out the two containers of spicy rice cakes, “Treat her right, okay? She looks like a keeper,” winking at me, she waved as we turned to leave. “Goodbye! Visit again soon!”

I smiled, waving back. Once she was out of sight, I turned to Eunwoo, red in the face and very confused, “Yah… why did you lie? We’re not a couple-”

He stared at me, “We could be.”

My heart was racing out of my chest, “W-what?”

He smiled, brushing my bangs out of my eyes, “We could be a couple.”

I swallowed, unable to move, “Um… but we’re just friends-”

“I don’t want to be friends,” his eyes bore into mine.

I stood there in silence.

“Will you be my girlfriend?” he spoke quietly.

I was in loss for words. No one had ever shown even the slightest interest in me, so why now? “Um…” I looked down, “Why me?” I felt his fingers lift up my chin, forcing me to meet his eyes again.

“Jangmi-ah,” he said quietly, “Remember when we first met?”

I nodded.

“When I saw you… it was like I was seeing an angel for the first time. I was really depressed, but when I saw your face, I suddenly felt happy again.”

I blushed, “Really?”

“I want to protect you, and I don’t want anyone else to have you,” he spoke quietly, “So please… just say you’re mine.”

My mouth seemed to work on its own for the first time in my life. “I’m yours,” I heard myself say.