Flashlight (Possibility One)

The Odds of Us

Awaking to the soft tapping at the door, she stirred in the blankets. “Minzy darling breakfast is ready.”

“Okay thank you. I’ll be down in a little,” she sleepily said before face planting back into the pillow.

Stretching out, she slowly shuffled to the door and made her way down to the bathroom. Reaching for the door knob, she pushed forward and was surprised as the door opened before she fully caught grip of it. Losing her footing, she fell forward and into Mino’s bare chest. Caught in his arms, he smiled down at her, “Got you.”

As much as she wanted to squeal in excitement for touching nicely ripped abs, she contained it as she remembered they were just friends. Pushing herself off of him, she shrugged a sorry before closing the door on him. Grateful to find another summer dress hanging off the towel rack, she quickly stripped and stepped into the shower.

Coming down the stairs in a light blue flowery dress, she was grateful that Momma went out of her way to get another dress for her. “My goodness dear, that’s a gorgeous dress my son picked out for you,” Momma gawked at Minzy.

“What? I thought you got me this,” Minzy frowned. Glancing over at Mino she gave him a half smile and plopped down at the table, “Thanks I guess.”

“Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed,” Mister chuckled at Minzy who held a frown on her face.

Shrugging she tried again, “Thanks, I’m grateful that my friend got a dress.”

Mister began laughing loudly at Minzy’s words, “See boy, this is what you get for your careless words.”

“Honey don’t start,” Momma warned.

Before anyone else could add anything, Minzy stood to her feet and gazed between Mister and Momma, avoiding Mino. “I’m actually not hungry just yet. Please excuse me. I’d actually like to go see my grandmother right now.”

“Would you like me to come with you,” Mino chimed in.

“No I wouldn’t. But thanks anyway friend,” Minzy hated herself for how rudely sarcastic she was sounding, but she couldn’t help it as she walked away.

Minzy was furious at herself for lying as she walked down the dirt road starving. But her pride kept her moving forward, as she found herself there quicker than yesterday. Stopping in her tracks, she saw a young woman standing at her grandmother’s grave. Waiting quietly, she watched as the young woman laid flowers on the grave before turning to the grave next to it, she laid flowers on it also. Not sure how to react, she quietly made her way to her grandmother’s grave.

“Hello, I’m sorry to bother you but I just saw you put flowers on my grandmother’s grave,” Minzy spoke up to catch the young woman’s attention.

“She was your grandmother,” the young woman said in awe. “Your grandmother was well loved here. My mother loved your grandmother so much that she wanted to be buried by her. Though I don’t personally have many memories of your grandmother, it’s only out of great respect that my mother had for your grandmother that I bring flowers by here and there throughout the years. Please forgive me because I had didn’t know she had any family.”

“Wow my grandmother sure made an impression,” Minzy nodded to herself.

“She sure did,” the young woman smiled warmly.

“Thank you, for keeping my grandmother company while I wasn’t able to,” Minzy gratefully smiled.

The young woman shook her head, “Oh no, it was a great pleasure. The three of us have had many great conversations over the years.”

Minzy was impressed with this young woman, “Well I’m…”

“Minzy?” Minzy looked at her suspiciously, making her giggle, “It’s a small town out here in these parts of the country side. News travels fast. I hope you’re feeling better though?”

“Yes I am thank you,” Minzy nodded.

“My father is the town doctor. He told me how beautiful you were and boy was he right,” she smiled brightly.

“So it was your father who saved my life? Please thank him from the bottom of my heart,” Minzy was just in awe of this woman. “And don’t start with me on beauty. I’m guessing you’re the beauty of the town?”

The young woman placed a hand over her chest, “Please stop you’re making me blush.”

The pair laughed and talked about various things about the town and funny differences between the country side and the city. It was as if the two had been good friends for some time. “My goodness I better be heading back before they start to worry.”

“Let me take you back. You’re staying with Mino’s family right,” the young woman smiled brightly.

“No it’s fine really…”

“No I must insist, it’s the country girl in me,” she winked making them both laugh.

“Alright,” Minzy agreed as she followed her to her car.

As the two road off, they hummed to a song that played on the radio. Glancing over at each other, they both then began to belt out the words horribly. Laughing and singing together, the young woman stopped a ways from the house. “Minzy where have you been all my life?”

“I should be asking you the same thing,” Minzy laughed as she belted out a line from the song that just played.

As the laughter died down, the young woman pouted over at her. “As a country girl I must admit that I haven’t been completely honest with you.”

“What do you mean,” Minzy grinned at her reference.

“I haven’t properly introduced myself because I fear that you might judge me harshly,” she began to say. “When I heard you had come into town with Mino I wanted to get to know you for you, first hand. I just had to see for myself what was missing and now I fully understand,” the young woman tried to fight back the tears. Glancing over at Minzy, she could see that she had pieced it altogether. “Please don’t misunderstand. I love the man that I’m with now, he completes me. I just needed the closure of my past. So thank you for that.”

Minzy quickly took Somi’s hand in hers, “Somi please understand that it was never you that fell short. Though I can’t speak for Mino, just in the time that we’ve shared I know that you are an amazing woman who deserves nothing but the best! Also not to make things harder on you than it must already be, Mino and I are just friends.” Somi coughed in disbelief as Minzy continued, “Honestly we’re just friends. Ask him, he’ll tell you himself. We are nothing more than friends.” Her words stung as she sighed to herself, “So if you’re having any doubts you still have time.”

Somi giggled as she rolled her eyes at Minzy, “No girl, there are no doubts. I just want the past to be left in the past. And don’t let Mino boss you around. Aren’t you city girls all about being Ms. Independent? You tell him how it’s supposed to be. I mean that’s where I think I went wrong, I let him have the last say.”

“Then how about you come in and show me. Show me how a city girl is supposed to have the last say,” Minzy challenged her.

“I…don’t know,” Somi spoke nervously. “I haven’t seen him in years…”

“Let the past be in the past. You’re getting married damn it. It’s your day,” Minzy spoke with conviction.

“Yeah you’re right, it is my day. Damn it,” Somi agreed as she drove up the house. Parking the car, she gave a panicked look over to Minzy, “I don’t think I can do this.”

Sighing, Minzy got out the car and went around. Opening the car door, she yanked the young woman out and up on her feet, “Let’s do this!”

Gaining confidence, she took Minzy’s hand and marched up the steps. Knocking on the door, she faltered as the door was being opened. But Minzy was stronger than her and held her in place as Momma answered the door. “Somi and Minzy? What a surprise!”

“Is…Mino here,” Somi quickly rambled out.

“Umm…yes. Would you like to speak to him,” Momma gave a questioning look to Somi.

“Please,” Somi said nervously. Momma shot questioning glances at the both of them as she excused herself to find her son. “Minzy I can’t do this,” Somi mumbled as she felt like she was going to vomit.

“You’re doing it because it’s your day damn it, not his. Got it,” Minzy said through gritted teeth as she pinched Somi.

“Ouch, that hurts,” Somi pouted.

“It’s going to hurt even more if you let the past haunt you the rest of you wedding day,” Minzy gave her a look of seriousness.

“Somi,” Mino’s voice boomed. “Minzy,” he looked confused at the two standing together. “What’s going on?”

“Well thanks for the ride back Somi, I can’t wait for your wedding tonight. I’ll let you talk to my friend here,” Minzy said excusing herself as she gave Mino a pat on the arm. Cheering Somi on behind Mino’s back, she gave him a small shove before closing the door behind her.

Grinning to herself, she didn’t notice Momma standing in front of her, “What’s going on?”

Minzy shrugged her shoulders acting oblivious, “Somi gave me a ride from the graveyard and wanted to stop by to say hi. Is there any breakfast left? I’m starving.”

Minzy devoured what was left of breakfast as she talked to Momma about her conversations with Somi. Seeing the awe struck in her eyes, Minzy smiled, “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“You are one confident young woman. Can I say that? I admire you,” Momma shook her head in disbelief. “Most girls would throw temper tantrums about meeting a past lover. But you, you welcome them with open arms as if you had been long time friends.”

“You know, I was thinking that. If anything, I now have another friend to visit,” Minzy smiled brightly.

“Visit,” Momma asked not knowing what she meant by that.

“Where is Mister? I feel like doing a little shoveling right now,” Minzy said as she rose to her feet to clean her plate.

“He’s out back tending to the animals,” Momma answered as she took the plate away from Minzy to clean herself.

“Okay thank you,” Minzy sweetly said as she rushed upstairs and got changed before looking for Mister. Smiling as she walked up to Mister, she watched as he acted like an animal whisperer, “You’ve got some real talent there.”

“Oh thank you, I’m trying to prepare them for tonight’s festive. I have to put them all away so the drunk people don’t abuse them and ride them all over the fields.”

She gasped in shock, “No…”

“Yeah, drunk people do the most wildest things. You'll wonder who's really the animal,” Mister sighed as he led his animals to the barn.

“Can I help?”

“Sure,” he smiled and began to teach her how to talk to the different animals.

Minzy was a born natural, as she soon took over. Leading all the animals to their rightful place. They had finished up in half the time, allowing them time to secure the gates around the various plants. All the while, Mister told her different stories of all the drunks that tried to pull something stupid on his farm land. Lastly they came to the stables where the wedding reception and ceremony was going to take place. It was cute country theme set up that most definitely fit Somi’s style. Nodding in approval, she couldn’t help but sigh, “I’m so happy for her. She deserves it.”

“She does, doesn’t she,” Mister added as he stood next to her. “I’m guessing you’ve had the chance to meet her then?”

“I did,” Minzy smiled. “She’s super sweet. It was as if we had been friends for so long.”

“You are nothing like my wife,” Mister teased knowing very well of how she would’ve reacted. “And are you still friends with my son?”

“What does that mean,” she frowned at him. “Of course we are. We’ve been friends in the past.”

“And what about now?”

She shrugged as she avoided Mister’s gaze, “I guess…we’re still friends?” Minzy had no idea how to answer that question. She honestly didn’t know where she and Mino stood. For all she knew, she was just a stand in for the wedding.

“Minzy after all that you and he have been through you honestly think that you’re just friends,” Mister bluntly said.

“I honestly have no idea. All the men in my life have never been completely honest with me.”

“My son isn’t like all the other men,” Mister said reassuringly.

As much as she wanted to believe that she just couldn’t, “I wouldn’t be so sure. After all we’re still just friends in his mind.” Sighing she shook her head, “I’m sorry, that was a little…”

“Too honest? No you’re right. That’s what I asked for didn’t I,” he said knowingly. “Can I give you some heart to heart advice?” She nodded for him to continue, “Be brave enough to keep loving.”

“Huh?”

“Even if it doesn’t make sense,” he pointed to his head. “Go with what feels right,” he said as he then pointed at his chest. “I’m telling you this because as a guy myself, it takes us guys a little longer for things to click.”

Minzy smiled as his words made her think of her grandmother, “Alright, I’ll try.”

“That’s all I ask,” he grinned as he gave her a side hug. “Now let’s get back to the house and get ready to party!” The both of them danced their way back to the house to get dressed.

Minzy was surprised when a makeup artist was awaiting her, “I’m sorry I think you’re in the wrong room.”

“Nice to meet you Minzy, I’m Jinyoung. Somi sent me to be your makeup artist for the night. She said that she wants you to look flawless and sent the best of the best here in the town,” Jinyoung wiggled her eyebrows at her.

Minzy laughed at her silliness, “Alright. I’m gonna go take a shower and I’ll be right back.”

“No worries, I’ll just be setting up right here,” Jinyoung stated as she went about opening her makeup kit.

Minzy couldn’t remember the last time she had got all dolled up like this. Relaxed and amused by the daily gossip of the different parties attending the wedding, Minzy’s makeup was over before she even knew it. “All done! Are you ready to go knock ‘em dead?!” Turning Minzy’s chair around, Minzy was amazed to see the glamorous woman staring back at her.

“I…look like a celebrity,” she gasped as she turned different angles, not finding one flaw. “You really are the best!”

“Why thank you, don’t forget me when you and Mino get married. I will make sure you’ll have the face of a goddess!”

“I believe it,” Minzy added as she sat still gawking at herself.

“Well I better be off if I want to be able to attend the wedding too,” Jinyoung bid farewell.

Slipping on her dress, she made her way down the stairs and was met with the three family members. Each one staring at her, amazed by how she looked like a celebrity. But it was Mino’s smile that made her shiver as he extended an arm out to her. Accepting his gesture, she linked her arm with his as they followed out the older couple.

“You look beautiful,” Mino leaned over to whisper.

“Thanks friend,” Minzy grinned as they neared the stables.

Minzy was the second highlight to the bride and groom of course, all the single men from the town were at her feet. Even the not so single men were trying to get her to glance their way. “Hello beautiful, the name is Jiyong. May I have this dance?”

“She minds,” Mino interjected.

“Mino I think she can speak for herself,” Jiyong smugly spoke. “What do you say,” he turned his attention back to Minzy unfazed by the furious Mino.

“Why not? I’m tired of waiting for Mino to ask me to dance,” Minzy said as she took Jiyong’s hand. “I’ll be back friend,” Minzy said over her shoulder as she pulled onto the dance floor.

“So what’s a girl like you with a guy like him,” Jiyong nodded over at the still fuming Mino.

Minzy followed the flow of the music as she shrugged, “He’s a good friend.”

“Friend as in you’re not taken,” he eyed her cautiously.

“It’s complicated,” she simply said as she swayed her hips from side to side.

Jiyong followed suit and took Minzy by the hips. Pressing his body up against hers, he smirked over at Mino. “Does he know you’re just friends?”

Annoyed that every question was about Mino, she turned and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, “How about we just forget the questions and just enjoy the moment?”

“I like that idea,” he gave her a crooked smile and took her by the hips, taking the lead.

Minzy laughed at Jiyong’s humorous dancing, which encouraged him on further. They continued to dance a few more songs and she could’ve sworn Jiyong was the life of the party. Leading the crowd to cheer them on as they danced an upbeat couple’s dance. Minzy gladly let him lead her away. Cheering him on as he danced in the middle, she jumped in alongside him. Mimicking his dance moves, everyone cheered them to the end of the song.

“Thank you for the dances,” Minzy said as she fanned herself with her hand.

“Are you sure you don’t want to keep dancing,” Jiyong tried to persuade her with more funny dances.

“No I need a break. Maybe later,” she suggested.

He nodded in understanding, “Alright I’ll remember that!”

She waved as he danced off. Chuckling as he made his way to the middle of the dance floor again, she asked for some ice water. Not wanting a hangover the following day. Taking her glass, she made her way outside.

“Hi excuse me, you must be Minzy,” the groom came to her side. “I’m Bobby.”

Minzy gladly accepted his hand, “I know who you are. You’re a lucky man, congrats on marrying an amazing woman.”

He smiled gratefully at her, “Thanks I’m truly blessed. I just wanted to formally introduce myself, seeing as we’ll be getting to see each other more often.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“You’re dating my best friend, so…”

She sighed as she shook her head, “We’re not dating. We’re just friends.”

“Why are you both so naïve to what is happening between the two of you,” Bobby shook his head.

“So you already talked to Mino about us,” Minzy nodded her head in understanding. “See, like I said we're friends.”

“Minzy please forgive my dumb of a best friend, pardon my language. He may have loved you first as a friend, but I can see the way he looks at you. Especially when you were dancing with Jiyong, he hates Jiyong by the way. Those two have been at each other’s throats since we were kids.”

“Okay…” she didn’t see how that involved her, but she acknowledged his comments.

“Minzy be patient with my poor friend, he’s a bit slow,” Bobby sighed sarcastically.

“Would you please stop running your mouth and go find your new bride,” Mino appeared out from the stables.

“Well that’s my cue, it was nice meeting you Minzy,” Bobby waved before leaving the two alone.

“I’m gonna head back to the house. I have to be up early…” Minzy started to say as she began walking away.

But she was stopped in her tracks as he caught her wrist, “Wait, we didn’t even have one dance yet?” Sighing she turned reluctantly back towards him. Folding her arms across her chest, she stood in front of him waiting for him to make his move. “Alright,” he said as he took her hips and swayed them to the melody that drifted out from the stables. The two quietly danced before Mino spoke up, “You looked like you were having so much fun with Jiyong.”

Minzy stiffly shifted from side to side as she continued to keep her arms folded across her chest, “Yup.”

“I don’t really like that guy…”

“I know, Bobby just told me,” Minzy bluntly said.

“Oh…” Mino grew quiet again not knowing what else to say. “So…”

“So…” Minzy wanted nothing more than to end this uncomfortable swaying.

“Why do you have to be up early?”

“I’m leaving tomorrow morning,” she flatly said. “I need to get back to reality. I have so much to take care of with work and all.” Minzy said more so to herself. Convincing herself it was for the best, especially since she found herself in his arms again. “Yeah…” pulling away she stood tall before him. “I better go then.”

He shrugged as he pushed his hands into his pockets, “Oh…I guess if you have to…”

It was all that it took for her to explode, “Look Mino, I don’t have time for this. I have to leave for my pride’s sake. I thought I could be okay with whatever this friendship entails, but I just can’t! Everyone including myself can see it, why can’t you?!”

“Minzy I…don’t understand….”

Biting her lower lips so hard, she could see that she was going to have to spell it out for his dumb , “Mino I like you more than just a friend. I…I...love you. I love your family. I love this place. I just love everything that makes you who you are, a stupid country boy! So I'm leaving in the morning, because I can’t accept being nothing more than just a ing friend! I have enough of those types of guys in my ing life!” The bold tears streaked down her cheeks as she tried to compose herself, “I understand if you can’t return the same feelings. But I can’t wait around wasting my ing time wondering if you’ll ever figure out if you love me too.” Pushing past him, she rushed down the dirt road. Moving past the house, she found herself at her grandmother’s grave. Falling to her knees she cried, “I know it doesn’t make sense that I’m leaving you after I’ve searched for you after all these years. But I want you to know that I’m doing what feels right. I love you grandma! I’ll come visit you soon.”

Minzy was grateful that the house was still empty as she raced up the stairs. Pulling off the dress, she hurriedly put her clothing back on before rushing back down the stairs. Swinging the door open, she was surprised to see Mister standing there. “And where are you off to baby girl?”

“Please, don’t stop me,” she sniffled through her tears.

“How about I take you to where you need to go? I’m not going to let you go on your own, especially in this state of mind,” he looked her up and down frowning.

Not caring, she quickly nodded, “Please take me to the train station.”

“Okay,” was all he said as they drove off. The ride was quiet as Minzy tried to contain her sobbing. She was grateful that Mister only focused on the road, allowing her time to try and compose herself. “We’re here.” Minzy quickly hopped out as she rushed over to the empty train station. “Minzy you do know that the last train left an hour ago right?”

“, nothing is going right in my life right now,” she cried harder as she took a seat on a nearby bench. “Can I use your phone,” she mumbled dialing her phone number and finding that she had a full mail box. Overwhelmed she cried into her hands, not knowing what to do at the moment.

“Can I offer a suggestion? How about we head back to the house, you can take a nice hot bath get something to eat and take a good night’s rest. Then in the morning you can get some breakfast and I’ll bring you back to take the first train back.” Minzy cried harder, as good as that sounded she couldn’t face Mino. “Or how about we do everything but the breakfast? We can pack some to go and we can eat breakfast here as we wait for the train?” Glancing up with tear filled eyes, she did her best to give him a smile. “Great, let’s get back to the house so we can get you all changed.”

Mister did everything he promised with Momma who soon came in to take over in assisting Minzy. Pulling the covers up on Minzy she smiled lovingly down at her, “Don’t worry I’ll pack enough for your train ride as well.” Placing a sweet kiss on her forehead, she turned out the lights allowing slumber to take over Minzy.