ING (Possibility One)

The Odds of Us

Minzy took advantage of Mino as her own personal guide. Though she had been to the market many times, this was her chance to see it through his eyes. Mesmerized by how he broken down the basics of each product they had from how it was grown, farmed, to the point of it being sold right before her eyes. He even charmed her with fun facts as to why each product was benefical and necessary to have. She could tell just how proud he was of their family farm from the passion in his eyes as he showed her around. "I have a better appreciation of the produce sold here. I wouldn't have known such interesting things about my food if it weren't for you," she graciously smiled. 

"You don't know nothing yet. My mom takes all the produce that we can no longer sell to make delicious meals."

"Really," Minzy chimed in. "Maybe I can get a few recipes for me to take home with me."

"And when were you planning on going home," he rose an eyebrow at her. 

She shrugged as she looked down at her phone, "I think pretty soon. The last train should be leaving in about thirty minutes." 

Mino coughed a laugh as he shook his head, "Yeah you're not going to make that train." 

"Why not," she frowned. 

"Minzy dear," Mino's mother called as she was rushing towards them. 

"Just a warning, my mom doesn't know how to take a no for an answer," Mino quickly said before his mother approached them.

"Minzy dear," his mother said as she linked her arm with hers. "Can you please help me make dinner today? I have no daughters, only this helpless son..."

"I'm standing right here mom," Mino cut in as he crossed his arms over his chest. 

Huffing as she brushed her son off she continued, "Anyway, like I was saying. I don't have any daughters and was wondering if you could help an old lady like me make dinner for tonight."

Minzy glanced down at her phone before looking back to Mino's mother, "Well..."

"Great! I knew you wouldn't let your mother down like my son had," his mother gleefully spoke. 

"Again, I'm right here," he rolled his eyes at his mother's passive comment.

"Great, go help your father wrap things up at the market," his mother said. 

Sighing he gave a knowing look to his mother, "Did he ask for my help?" 

"No, but does he need to," his mother gave him the look right back. 

Putting his arms up to surrender, he glanced over to Minzy, "See, I warned you."

"Hush," his mother scolded as she led Minzy back towards the house. 

 

Minzy was impressed by how well the dinner had turned out. It had taken a few hours to prepare it, but thanks to Mino's mother the time flew by. The only odd thing she didn't understand was why she had to get measured from head to toe before placing on an apron. Brushing the thought aside, she set the table as asked and smiled at how it looked like a set straight out of a commerical family setting.

"Help me place the food on the table dear," Mino's mom said as she brought a bowl to the table. 

"Sure thing," Minzy followed suit. 

After all the food was put out, the pair stood in admiration at their hard work. Mino's mother wrapped an arm around Minzy's shoulder and sighed, "We make a great team." 

"We sure do," Minzy nodded as she smiled. 

"Alright let's eat," his mother said as she clasped her hands together. 

"Should we...wait Mino's mother," Minzy hinted seeing as neither of the men had come. 

"No, they are probably clearing the air between them. Mino didn't leave on good terms with his father. And one more thing, I'm your mother too, especially since you're going to be my daught soon."

Minzy gave an awkward smile not knowing what to say as she sat next to Mino's mother, "Umm...so what happened between the two if you don't mind me asking?" Mino's mom rose both eyebrows awaiting her name to be called, "...Mom?"

Mino's mother quickly obliged as her name was called, "Well my precious daughter, let's just put it this way. They both want the same thing really. Mino wanted to take over the family business in due time, but he wanted to go to school first. He told his father this could be a great opportunity to learn new skills to improve the farm." Mom chuckled to herself as she shook her head, "But my sensitive husband took it all wrong and thought that Mino was making up a lie to get out of being the successor. In his prideful moment, he told my son that the only thing new that would happen to the farm was Bobby, his best friend by the way, would become the sucessor instead of him. This way Mino could go and do as he pleases. Mind you my son is like a clone of my husband, he's sensitive too. Mino took it as his father didn't think he was good enough and took his things and left." Frowning she took Minzy's hand in hers, "My son has been gone for five long years. I understand that he was deeply hurt by his father, but really? He left me, his father who he looked up to, his best friend who by the way has no idea as to why he was quickly promoted, and not to mention Somi." 

"Who is Somi," Minzy asked intrigued by everyone involved in the story. 

"Somi is..."

"Mother," Mino's voice boomed as his walked in, startling the two. "Is dinner ready," he eyed his mother with caution as he walked up to them. 

His mother quickly stood to her feet and took her son's hand in hers, "Yes son, go ahead and wash up while we wait here." 

"Okay but no more story alright," he said sternly. 

Sighing Mino's mother waved him off, "Yes, yes. Hurry before the food gets cold." As he disappeared, his mother turned back to Minzy and whispered, "Don't worry too much about her dear. It's you he brought home." 

Not sure how to take the last comment, Minzy sat quietly as Mino came to sit across from her. As their gaze connected, she found herself looking away. She didn't know why, but she just couldn't look at him. Suddenly Mino's father entered taking a seat at the other end. Turning Minzy took courage and introduced herself, "Hello my name is Minzy, Gong Minzy." 

"Gong? I knew a grandmother Gong, she used to come here every month with her granddaughter until she suddenly passed away. Bless her soul, she always knew how to make everyone smile. I miss her sweet spirit," he frowned. "She sadly had no other family so I don't know what happened to her granddaughter. I'm just grateful that we were able to lay her to rest in our family graveyard. It was the least we could do." Minzy bit her lower lip as she felt herself starting to tremble. "If I were to ever find her granddaughter I would be at peace."

"Why," Minzy said with a shaky voice. 

"Before grandmother Gong passed away she invested all her finances into our family farm. It was in one of the toughest times, but luckily grandmother Gong was able to save it for us.Without her, I don't know where our family would've been." 

"Honey you've never told me this," Mino's mother gasped. 

Mino's father frowned as he continued, "Grandmother didn't want anyone to know. She knew that you would never agree to taking any of her money. She used the last of what she had not only to help us but to help her granddaughter. But sadly the government wouldn't allow me any documents or any information to her granddaughter because I wasn't family."

"Honey how could you," Mino's mother began to cry. "How could grandmother Gong make you keep such a secret." 

Meanwhile Minzy sat frozen as she listened to the two bicker back and forth. It was when someone touched her hand that she was brought back to reality. Looking towards the owner, Mino held a small smile, "Minzy do you want to go see her?" 

His words brought tears to her eyes as they began to fall freely. She couldn't say a word for the fear of choking out a sob. Nodding quickly, she bowed her head as she wiped at her eyes. Feeling arms wrap around her she cried harder, "Minzy baby, my son will take you there right now." 

Minzy couldn't stop the tears that were falling as they drove further down the farm road. Her heart was pounding so hard, she felt like it was going to burst right out of her chest. There was no way so many coincidences could happen in a weekend. Shaking her head in disbelief, she trembled as she folded her arms across her chest. So many thoughts raced through her mind, she thought that her head was going to explode. 

"We got this," Mino's voice chimed as he placed his palm onto her arm. "We got this." His words brought comfort, to her uneasiness. Shamelessly she took his hand and held it tight as she continued to cry, she needed reassurance in his touch as he kept a firm grip on her. 

As the car came to a stop, she felt as though her heart skipped a beat. She felt panicked when Mino released her hand, watching him scurry around to her side he opened the door and extend his hand out to her. "Don't worry, I'll be here every step of the way." 

Hand in hand, Minzy was able to gain the strength and courage to get out the car. Letting Mino lead the way with a flash light in hand, she quietly thanked the heavens for this moment. Never in her wildest dreams did she think she could find her grandmother's resting place. To think it had been at her happy place all this time, what were the odds? Shaking her head at another crazy coincidence, she thought back to the horrid day of being ripped away from the only family she had ever known. It was so hard to go from being loved to it only being a vague memory. It was a rude awakening at a young age, jumping from one bad home to another. With nothing left to lose she had finally ran away to become homelss. She became an instant adult in such a cruel world. Her innocence stripped and it made her shiver thinking of how she was had ended up in some very sticky situations. Just the thought of it, she knew her grandmother had probably been turning in her grave. Scoffing at her horrible choices and hardships that were forced upon her, she cried hating herself for cursing her grandmother in those past times. Knowing well enough it wasn't her grandmother's fault, it took her years to finally accept her fate. Accepting it was the first step to a long journey that led her to this very moment.

"We're here," Mino's voice echoed through the quiet air. 

Taking a deep breath, Minzy stepped forward and watched as the flash light shown across her grandmother's tomb stone. Seeing her grandmother's name etched onto the tombstone brought her to her knees as she clutched onto her chest. Choking back the on coming tears it was as if she had the wind knocked out of her. Gazing back up at the tombstone she was speechless at how beautiful it looked. It was far better than her imagination had come up with as she fell alongside it. Reaching out with trembling hands, she let it all out. Bawling her eyes out, she cried out the past years without her grandmother. All the memories flooded of the good, the bad, the ugly, all of it. Touching the cool marble, she traced the lettering of her grandmother's name, "I've finally found you grandma." 

After many failed attempts of convincing, Mino took matters into his own hands as he effortlessly swooped her up into his arms. Craddling her shivering body, he quietly walked her back to the car. Gently placing her into the passenger seat, he turned up the heat as they drove in silence. Neither one saying a word as they both had a lot running through their minds. 

Returning back to the house, Minzy tried her best to gather enough energy to push herself out of the car. Embarassed that Mino had to carry her to the car, she could at least walk back into the house. But her legs quickly gave out and she was soon falling straight for the ground. With no strength to stop the impact, she closed her eyes hoping that she wouldn't fall too hard. 

"Got you," she was startled as she was caught right before touching the ground. Holding her up, he frowned as he could feel her trying to muster the strength to fight him off. "Minzy stop being such a city girl! Let me take care of you." Sweeping her off her feet, he held her close to him, "Please let this country boy help you out just a little bit." The conviction in his eyes melted away any prideful and insecure thoughts. Biting her lower lip she whispered a thank you as he carried her inside. Closing her eyes as the warm lights, shone right in her puffy eyes, she clung tighter onto Mino. 

"My poor daughter, Momma's here don't you worry" Mino's mother's voice echoed. Minzy tried her best to open her heavy eye lids, but it was just too much for her. "Get her upstairs to your room."

"What the hell boy?! She looks deathly. You couldn't have brought her sooner," Mino's father's voice followed. 

"We don't have time for this right now. We need to attend to Minzy," Mino's mother cut in before the bantering could start. 

Humiliated that Mino's parents were seeing her in such a state, she made a mental note to bring some kind of bodily harm to Mino when she was feeling a little better. At that thought, she felt as though she was being pulled into a deep slumber. Minzy felt herself becoming numb to her surroundings as her vision was becoming spotted. 

"Minzy I know you're not going to like this, but I'm going to have to undress you," Mino instructed. Minzy mumbled a groan of frustration, as she tried to fight off sleep. As if she wasn't embarassed enought he was going to undress her? What was that about? "Minzy you are soaked from a cold sweat and mom isn't strong enough to lift you, so I'm going to help my mom undress you and put you into dry clothing." Holding on to as much concentration as she could, she wanted to argue back and instead groaned as her body was being shifted. Hissing at the sensation of cool air, she added another mental note that she was going to do more than just bodily harm to Mino. She was going to kill him for touching her without permission. Agreeing with her thoughts, she could no longer fight off the slumber that over took her.