p6-2

The Odds of Us

Mino tapped his fingers against the table as he tried to stay patient with the skeptical council members that all sat around him. He knew they would react this way, but he didn't realize he had to really convince them. "So you say that your reader claimed that this young woman bares the mark of the Morning Star," Daesung asked again.

"Yes and I have seen the mark myself," Mino reiterated for what felt like the hundereth time. 

"Then why have you not brought this young woman for us to see for ourselves," Daesung questioned Mino's intent. 

Mino wanted to rip off the head of the political spokesperson of the group, "Why would I bring her here when the last woman I brought you all made her out to be a martyr for the cause that I have yet to be convinced by?" 

"Are you questioning the council's judgement," Daesung challenged him. 

"I'm challenging the fact that the cause is taking too many lives," Mino frowned. "We are already being hunted and killed by humans why can't we stand together and save those innocent and blind to the cause?" 

"Your spirit and will power are recognized by the council and we commend you for it. But to expose ourselves to the human race will only cause more havoc and chaos that we are not prepared for," Daesung responded. 

"So we are to sit here and let our fellow brothers and sisters be slaughtered for a cause that they never had a chance to support or vice versa," Mino asked in awe at the council's restraint. 

"Be cautious of your words Mino for they may be your last," Daesung reminded him of his place. "Bring us the young woman and we will go from there," Daesung said as he stood to his feet with everyone else to follow and file out. 

Mino balled up his fists as he shot out a burst of energy and portalled his way back to the village. Angered by the council's reaction, he knew they would answer in that way but he still held hope that they would say other wise. "What happened," Chaerin asked as she walked in. 

"They want to see her before they make a decision," Mino shook his head in disbelief. 

Meanwhile Chaerin stood in her thoughts nodding to herself as she thought about everything she had seen, "'We can't let that happen, at least until she is ready to see them." 

"Tell me what you saw," Mino said as he sat down seeing the concern written across her face. 

"She's more powerful than she knows. I think...that she is the one to fulfill the prophesy your highness," Chaerin revealed. 

Mino felt the weight of the world on his shoulders as he looked at Chaerin unsure if it was the century old prophesy for all witches and warlocks. Seeing her nod caused an on coming headache, "Send for all of my advisors. I need her trained and prepared for the battle to come." 

 

Minzy never had felt so full that she was ready for a nap, but before she could do so there came a knock at her door. Pouting she wondered if she ignored the knocking it would stop, but it only increased making her drag her feet to open the door and see a dashing young man with a big smile plastered on his face. "Hi the name is Bobby," he held his hand out to her. 

Feeling a little self conscious, she reached out and he nearly took her hand and shook it vigorously. "Nice to meet you?" 

He chuckled as he bowed his head and brushed his lips across the top of her hand, "No the pleasure is all mine your highness." Straightening his posture he gazed around before plopping down on the chair. "So let me see what kind of magic you got." 

"Magic," she chuckled as she walked around to face him. "I don't have any magic." 

"Just because you haven't used it doesn't mean you don't have it," he shrugged as he patted the seat next to him. "Please come sit here your greatness," he smiled up at her. 

She wasn't use to all these titles as she moved to take the seat next to him. Surprised as he took her hand in his, she felt giddy as he asked her to close her eyes. Doing so, she couldn't help the excitement that surged through her as she waited for his next instructions. "Now I want you relax." 

Shifting uncomfortably she slipped her hand away from his, "Sorry I can't relax while holding your hand." 

"That's fine, do what feels comfortable," he replied. Focusing on her most relaxed position, she let her hands rest on her lap with her palms facing up. Feeling her breath slowing down she awaited further instructions. "Just keep breathing and let the energies within you take shape." Puzzled by his words, she tried to think of what he was asking her to do. "Don't over think it, it will just make it harder for you to connect to your inner core energies." Hearing his words, she tried to think of feels that made her relax. The thoughts of collecting flowers or working on a new recipe in the kitchen with Gummy came to mind. They were simple times, but they were times she cherised as she felt a pulse of electricity course through her body. "That's it," Bobby encouraged her to further explore her memories. The nights she spent up at night talking about what their lives would be like to their code talk around other servants, especially ones they did not like. All the memories came rushing in as she felt a pressure building onto her hands. Opening her eyes, she sat in awe at the orbs of light floating over the palms of her hand. 

Raising her hand out, she watched as the orb followed wherever her palm went. "Shatter," she spoke as the orb sudddenly bursted into small little sparks and fizzled out. Grinning to herself she gazed over at Bobby who sat in shock, "How did I do?" Excited, she subconsciously began to glow without her even knowing it. Feeling energized, she was ready for more while Bobby sat in awe by the power that was literally coming off of her with no effort. 

"I...I want to try something," Bobby said as he stood on his feet. "Tell me, how were you killed?" 

She felt a pull at her heart strings as she thought about her trial, "I was burned at the stake." 

"I want you to think on it," he instructed as he waved for her to stand and face him. 

Standing to face him, she frowned, "Why would I want to do that?" 

"Because it is part of you, it is part of the reason you're here today," he sighed knowing it must be difficult. "Be there, in the moment," he said as he closed his eyes. Hesitant, she slowly closed her eyes and gazed down to see that she was chained and tied up by ropes. Biting down on her lower lip as the flames began to rise all around her. She could feel the sweat on her brow as the pain of the flames her feet. She began to tremble as she gazed up to the sky to see herself being engulfed in the flames.

Yelling at the top of her lungs she was caught by the shoulders and shaken. Looking into the direction of the person who called out her name she was met by the crystal blue eyes that pierced right through her. Confused to see Mino standing before her, she felt her eyes water as he cupped her face in his hands. Trembling, her eyes shifted around to take in her surroundings. It looked as though everything was scorched to a crisp black. Gazing back at the person who began to wipe the tears that fell from her eyes with the pads of his thumbs, she was grateful when he enveloped her into a strong embrace. Falling into him, she trembled as the tears continue to fall. "Leave us," Mino's voice boomed as she heard footsteps retreating. Taking her small frame in his arms, he carried her towards the untouched bedroom. Frowning as he laid her upon the bed, he pulled the covers over her and watched as she curled up into fetal position. Staring down at her, she looked so vulnerable and afraid but not as afraid as the other witches and warlocks that had rushed his office. Rushing towards the cottage that was up in flames, he bursted through the door and saw his advisor Bobby who tried to call Minzy's attention as she stood with her eyes closed and fidgetting in place. Shaking her and calling her attention, the way her eyes flashed open and shone pitch black was frightful and thrilling all at once. But Bobby's voice telling him to knock her out brought him out of his thoughts. He didn't want to do that, it made him feel a bit guilty as he softly kept calling her name. Seeing how her eyes faded back to their normal shade of dark brown, he was aware that all the flames seemed to cease. Sighing, he made his way out of the room to see both Chaerin and Bobby standing there with mixed reactions. 

"She's too vulnerable," he said as both of his advisors agreed. "It is of the utmost importance that we send for all of the advisors. She needs all the training she can get before she meets the council." 

"And what of Morning Star? He will want to see her once he hears of her arrival," Chaerin asked the real question that was weighing heavy on their minds. 

"We do all that we can do, prepare to receive him when he comes," Mino frowned as he felt his chest tighten at the thought of Morning Star meeting Minzy. 

 

Minzy lay exhausted as she stared at the darkness before her. Hearing the knock at the door, she kept her eyes closed as one of the servants called for dinner time. She didn't want to be a jerk, but the overwhelming feelings of pain and emptiness kept her still as the servant placed the tray upon the small table before taking her leave. When the door was closed her eyes slowly opened as she felt a presence standing in the darkness as if looking at her. "What," she breathed not having the energy to care how she address the person peeping on her. When the person continue to quietly stand and observe her, she forced her heavy with exhaustion body up and extended her arm out with her palm facing the person. "Show yourself," she growled as a burst of energy shot out from her palm and the person had disappeared into thin air along with the light she unknowingly sent out. Sitting in the darkness, she couldn't stomach the food that was brought and instead needed something else as she pushed herself out of bed. Taking one step at a time on her wobbly legs, she was able to make it to the door for support. Being able to steady herself, she opened the door and made her way out and found herself running into the arms of the man who was staring at her with those glowing blue eyes. 

"Are you still hungry," Mino asked as he gazed into her room and noticed that the tray still had food on it. 

"No," she tried to balance herself in his grasp. "I want to go outside," she mumbled as her drained body fell against his. 

"Then we'll go outside," he nodded as he let her lean upon him for support and walked them outside. Extending his hand out towards the ground, he caused the ground to tremble as vines and roots of the surrounding trees started to sprout out. Coming together, they formed a bench for the both of them to sit upon. Taking a seat, he kept a comforting arm around her as she took in her surroundings. 

Gazing up into the sky she let out a soft sigh of relief as she looked up at the moon. It was full, big and softly glowing among the stars. Seeing it shining down upon her helped her sit up and stay staring at it. She sat in a trance while Mino sat observing her staring up at the sky. Watching as she closed her eyes and emitted the soft glow of the moon, it was interesting to say the least. "Thank you," she breathed causing him to pull out of his thoughts and realizing that he had been staring at her for far too long it would have been embarassing if she had called him out on it. He nodded as he shifted his gaze up at the moon above. "Why are you afraid for me to meet the Morning Star," she softly asked in the comfortable silence. She had heared the discussion that had taken place right outside the room when Mino had left her. 

"Would you like the truth or do you want the filtered version," he asked as he turned to look at her. 

"The truth," she said without hesitation. 

He nodded as he sighed and tried to put together what he knew, "There is a prophesy that one day an eternal flame of the Morning Star will lead a legion of witches and warlocks to defend us from the depths of hell." 

"Why do you need protection from hell," she asked curiously.

"You are not the only child of the Morning Star, his first born is known as the Dragon. For many centuries he has plotted and planned to take the war of heaven and hell into his own hands. Roping in all mystical creatures to serve him and denying him would be fatal to our kind," Mino said troubled at the thought of the council's hand weakening and starting to faulter under the pressure. "The Dragon is who we serve under the umbrella of the Morning Star's almighty and ultimate power. Everything goes through him before the Morning Star, it's the chain of command." 

Minzy was taking in the information, but what peaked her interest was the fact that she had a brother. She had family, something she thought she had only dreamt of. "Will I meet the Dragon," she asked as she started to imagine what he would be like. 

"Yes, eventually," Mino said knowing he had to prepare her for that moment. It was inevitable and will be a key moment to the fate of their species. "But for now, we have to prepare you to meet him." 

"Why would I need to prepare to meet him?" 

"You cause a threat, a problem to his plan and that is what he'll see you as and nothing more," Mino explained knowing very well their master was calculated and ruthless. 

Frowning as she felt a little discouraged by Mino's words, she wondered where he, this blue eyed counselor that he referred himself to be fell in all of this. "And you? Where do you fall in this picture you are painting out for me." 

"I'm the head witch...or was," he grinned at her. "In the witch and warlock community I along with the council lead together to serve under the Dragon." Though he wanted to say that the council had been trying to best him in certain aspects, he figured she didn't need to hear all the politic stuff behind it all. His thoughts led to his reading when he was young and stiffened at the thought. Gazing at the young woman beside him he found it surreal that this was really happening. 

"What," Minzy asked as she stared back at him noticing a shift in his mood. 

Shaking the thought, Mino looked away to help clear his mind, "I have sent for my advisors that will help me prepare you for when you meet your family. But don't worry I will be here every step of the way." Staring at her with his bluest of blue eyes burning brightly, "I will make sure there is nothing for you to fear." The way his eyes shimmered underneath the moonlight she could only nod at the glow of his eyes. They were hypnotizing as they brought her a comforting feeling to believe in his words. "Now let's get you back inside and get you something to eat. You may be an eternal flame, but you are also a witch and you need nourishment," he said as he stood and gently helped her up onto her feet. Helping her into the house, he let her get back into bed before leaning up against her wall to stay observing her. 

"Yes," Minzy looked at him confused as to why he was holding up the wall in her room. 

He shrugged as he nodded to the untouched food on her tray, "Eat." 

"Okay," she mumbled as she took the porridge and dipped the spoon in and raised it to show him before eating it. Humming as her stomach gladly accepted the food, she took another bite as she looked up at Mino who continue to watch her. "I'm going to finish this, you don't need to watch me," she felt slightly uncomfortable with him watching her every move. 

Amused by her atittude, he kept his composure for a little longer before taking his leave. Closing her door, he grinned to himself when he heard her loudly slurping and exaggerating how good the food was. The grin was wiped away as he saw one of his advisors he had not seen for over a decade. "Dara," he nodded. "Welcome." 

She nodded as she gazed upon the door he stood in front of, "I know you wouldn't have summoned for me if it wasn't important." 

He gave her a curt nod as he brushed his hand against the door to block any sound, "The prophesy is here." Dara gave him a look of concern as he made his way towards the sitting quarters for her to follow. "We have an eternal flame in our midsts and she is part witch." 

"How can you be so sure," Dara asked cautiously, knowing that he had probably already spoke to the council about this. 

"Chaerin had read her palm and I have seen it engraven in her hand as well," Mino said. "Her powers exude with little to no effort. She nearly burned this house down without trying and it was only her first lesson." 

"I see," Dara sat down seeing the worry apparent on his face. "What else," she asked. 

Mino hated how Dara was so talented to see right through him and be so bold to bring it to his attention, "I think she is the one I have been waiting for." 

Dara sat quietly as she took in his words, "You think or you know?" 

Closing his eyes, he thought on his conflicting emotions unsure, "I think." 

"Then for now, I advise you to resume your duties as head witch while us advisors take over the preparations," she said. 

"What," Mino growled as he glared at her. "I promised her..."

"Why are you making promises when you only think she is the one? Do not inflict your confusion on her while she is also going through a confusing time herself," Dara said bluntly. "When you know then we can revisit this discussion." Standing to her feet, she walked to the front door, "Go, our kind need your leadership. You are no use for us cooped up and supervising her every move." Mino hesitated before standing on his feet. Dara's words rang true and he hated the fact that he couldn't deny her request. Gazing over to Minzy's bedroom door, he softly sighed before taking his leave. 

 

Minzy could sense someone's presence as she sat up and gazed in the darkness. She could make out an outline of a figure that stood in the corner, "What do you want?" She felt her heart starting to race as she grew nervous by the figure's silence, "What do you want?!" 

"You," the voice whispered in a chilling echo. 

Unnerved, she extended her hand out to its direction, "Show yourself." When the figure did no such thing to move or respond, she had lost patience and let the source of energy shoot out into its direction. Seeing the streak of light flash and make the figure disolve, she formed another ball of light as she was prepared to send it towards the intruder, but the figure appeared to have left. Holding the ball of light for a little longer, she let it fizzle out before she pulled her covers over herself tightly. Closing her eyes, she tried to calm her pounding heart and convince herself that she would be okay. 

 

Minzy awoke to the knock at her door, not responding she knew the servants would just enter shortly. But when the knocking continued she lay a little confused as she called for the person to enter. "Your greatness," a woman's voice said causing Minzy to force herself to gaze up from the covers to see a woman standing with a smile. "Good morning." 

"Good morning," Minzy mumbled exhausted from the figure that had been haunting her the past two nights. 

"Please come to breakfast, we need to discuss somethings," the woman bowed before turning to leave. Minzy sighed as she made her way out of the room and saw the woman standing by the table and waving for her to come and take a seat. Shuffling over, she slid into the chair and saw that the table was filled with various options. "May I sit," the woman asked as Minzy was quick to nod. "Thank you," she said as she took a seat across from Minzy. "My name is Dara I am an advisor to the head witch. 

"Where is he," Minzy asked as she looked around to see he was nowhere to be found. 

"He had to attend to some business, I hope you can understand," she smiled. 

Minzy shook her head and smiled, "Of course, I just thought he would be here." 

"I know that he will come in from time to time to check on you," Dara grinned. "As for now, I need you to eat and then we will prepare for our day." 

 

Minzy stood in a heavy long black cloak that she was instructed to wear whenever training. The Dara woman motioned for her to follow her out into the woods. There stood tall bulky stones that formed a circle. Standing in the middle of it all, Dara grinned, "Today you will learn restraint. I've heard you have great power, but so does everyone else, it is the ability to practice restraint and learn how to control it is what sets you a part from others. Now this exercise I want you to think of one thing is the color yellow." 

"The color yellow," Minzy questioned as suddenly flames formed around them, blocking all the exits. Gazing around, she looked to Dara who stood unfazed. "What are you doing?" 

"Servant girl," she looked to see the master she had served glaring at her. "Where is my food?!" 

"I..." Minzy's attention was pulled to Mino who was standing and looking at her with scrutiny. "What," she asked as he shrugged. Suddenly the ground shook and she was falling to her knees losing balance. Gripping onto the ground, she noticed that the ground started cracking and splitting apart. Confused and lost in the moment she pushed herself back onto her feet and tried to escape. But the flames roared higher, causing her to stumble back. The chaos of nature, the people calling after her and the flames were all too much. Gazing around, she noticed Dara calmly standing and watching. She wondered why she was so calm as she thought about Dara's words. "Yellow," she breathed as she closed her eyes and tried to focus. "Yellow," she kept telling herself as she only thought of the color. The sun, the warmth, anything that helped her think and stay focused on the color yellow had her opening her eyes to see that there was nothing but herself and Dara standing there. "Yellow," Minzy let out a sigh of relief. 

"Interesting, you have a strong mind not utilizing your powers to help get you out of the chaos that was being created around you," Dara said.

"I'm not so sure that I have a strong mind. As for utilizing my powers I don't even know where to begin," Minzy shrugged.

"You begin by understanding that your powers are a part of you and if you're not careful it can consume you. Your body is a vessel or a home for your soul and powers.  If you can't learn to control them as well as yourself they can destroy you," Dara began to explain. "Many witches and warlocks have lost their control to their powers and it isn't pretty. As a witch your weakness shows in the use of your powers. You are exerting energy from within and pushing it out into the universe leaving yourself vulnerable. Now your aura will return in time, it all depends on the witch and their experience with the powers." Stepping forward, Dara reached out and placed her hand onto Minzy's forehead. "Now let's see just how much restraint you have." Minzy's eyes widened as she felt her spirit being pulled from her body and the next thing she knew she was passing out. 

"Dara are you crazy?! You could've killed her," Mino growled seeing the leathal spell placed upon Minzy. 

"But I didn't. She is a true daughter of the Morning Star, be careful Mino she is dangerous," Dara warned. 

"Where are you going," he called after Dara as he scooped Minzy's body into his arms.

"I must warn the others. A war is coming," Dara said before taking her leave. 

 

Groaning at the throbbing that came from her head, Minzy slowly opened her eyes to see the crystal blue eyes staring down at her. "Hey are you okay," he asked softly as he knelt by her. 

"I'm okay, I just have a massive headache," she mumbled as she took in her surroundings. She was back in the cottage in bed. 

Placing his hands over her head, he softly began to chant a soothing spell. Instantly the headache vanished and it felt like the cells in her brain were receiving a nice massage. "Thank you," 

Before Mino could reply he stiffened at the approaching presence. Sighing heavily, he frowned as he stared down at Minzy, "Stay here." Taking his exit, he opened the front door to see Daesung grinning. 

"I would like to meet the daughter of the Morning Star," Daesung said smugly. 

"She is currently not recieving any visitors at the moment," Mino said as he closed the door behind him to add affect. "She will meet you along with the rest of the council when it is time."

Daesung was a little irritated, but not surprised that he wasn't welcomed, "And when exactly will she be ready." 

"When the time is right. The advisors are doing a series of tests to make sure she is ready for when the Morning Star comes for her," he revealed. 

Daesung could not deny Mino's logic as he gave him a curt nod, "Prepare her well for we will see if she really is what you claim her to be." 

"And when she is what I claim, she will take her rightful place which is above the council, meaning above the both of us," Mino confirmed the inkling feeling Daesung was hinting towards. Daesung stiffened at the thought of someone else being above him outside of the Dragon and the Morning Star, they had demonstrated worthy in his eyes to be there. As for this mysterious woman, he wasn't so sure about it. Leaving without another word, there was no point in sharing pleasant sentiments when there was none to give. It was better that way for Mino as he watched with his trained eye to make sure Daesung had truly left. 

 

Author's Notes:

Dang this round is a little much right? As in I'm not sure I can complete this in six chapters, but I will try. I know I've been MIA, but that's because I've honestly lacked inspiration, but I figured I'll post what I have so far. Hope you all enjoyed this update and also I'd like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas/ happy holidays! Take care everyone, the year is almost done!