p3-6

The Odds of Us

Minzy felt as light as a feather as she floated in the pool of cool water that formed underneath a water fall she stumbled upon. Humming to the sound of nature all around her, she felt good, like really good. She couldn't remember the last time she had felt so good, with nothing to weigh her down physically and mentally. Not to mention that she had blocked out all communication, knowing very well father would be commending her for doing the right thing. After her much needed swim, she built a small camp fire as she laid out on the grassy area. Laying sprawled out as she stared up at the night sky, it had her feeling so calm that she dosed off to sleep. Grinning to herself that she was currently on good terms with Mino, maybe they could possibly go back to the pen pal days. She wouldn't mind that at all. 

Minzy sighed as she loved the way mother combed through her hair with her fingers as they sat on the couch just being them. The way mother massaged her scalp in the process only made her relax further. "I'm proud of you Minzy," mother spoke. "Thank you for being such a strong young woman like we raised you to be." Minzy smiled as she snuggled further into mother's lap. "Now it's time for you to be vulnerable. Let him make good on his promise to you," mother said as she enveloped Minzy into a tight embrace. "Let him honor the bond between you two so that I can finally rest in peace." Minzy bit her lower lip as she hugged tighter onto mother. "It's okay that you're afraid to love him, but don't let that fear get in the way of you truly being happy. Be happy Minzy. Choose happiness." 

Minzy awoke to the first rays of sun light. Brushing a tear that fell from her eyes, she was surprised she had any tears left in her to still be crying. Standing and stretching, she shifted into her wolf form and made her way back home. It was oddly quiet and no one was around. Searching in her mind, it seemed that her brothers and father were in the forest. Not quite understanding, she figured she'd get washed up and maybe see what they were up to afterwards. 

Snuggling in her mountain of blankets, she let out a long sigh of relief. Letting her droopy eyes fall shut, her father's voice sounded in her mind. Minzy where have you been?! Everyone was looking for you! Get up and get dressed for the bond ceremony. 

Minzy groaned as she kicked in her blankets, Why? Aren't the three of you there to represent our family? I think that's enough...

Get up and dressed now! Come to the forest straight after you are ready, father sternly said before channeling her out. 

"," she hissed as she tumbled out of bed and shuffled to her closet. 

Letting her loose curls fall down her back, she grinned as she gave one last look before making her way to the forest. She was curious as to who would be having a bond ceremony. She had been so wrapped up in her own world to really know what was going on in town. Sighing as she walked deeper into the forest, she could see the softly lit candles in the distance. Taking stride, not wanting to miss the ceremony, she knew her father would give her an earful. Stumbling in the back, she was surprised as the crowd divided to make a path way for her. Unsure of how to react, she cautiously walked forward until she was found in the middle next to father and her brothers. Gazing at father as he held his hand out to her, she gladly took it and was startled as he began to walk her further into the circle. Looking back to her brothers for an explanation, they both stood smugly as she turned to see Mino. 

"What's going on," she mouthed to Mino who stood with a knowing smile. 

Mino held his hand out as his family blade was handed to him. Holding out his left arm, he dug the sharp tip into it before reciting the bond chant, "Let it be known to the Gods and written in the books of heaven, that I Mino make a vow to protect, cherish, and love this woman before me from today and into the next life to come." Removing the blade that had cut his forearm open, he moved towards her and extended his hand out for her to take it. "Let us choose happiness," Mino gave her an encouraging smile. 

His words shook her to the core as her dream of mother flashed in her mind. Letting the tears cascade down her cheeks, she nodded as she held out her left arm, "Let us choose happiness." He turned the blade to the dull side and ghosted it the length of her scar. It felt like her arm was on fire. Tingling up her arm and sending sparks of electricity down her spine. Taking his now bleeding forearm to hers, he held onto her arm as father began to recite the words of the ceremonial bond. She continued to cry as a scarf was wrapped around their connecting forearms.  

"I thee bind and seal this promise that you both will become one from here on," father proclaimed as he placed his hand upon their connected arms . After his words, the crowd cheered with excitement as Minzy was pulled into strong embraces of her brothers. 

 

As the celebration bon fire ensued, Minzy did her best to stay lively and upbeat with all the sentiments sent her way. From time to time, she watched as Mino was also embraced for his decision to finally take the vows upon himself. He seemed to be eating up all the attention, meanwhile as she wanted to do was leave.

After an adequate amount of time, at least in Minzy's mind, she excused herself from the celebration. Finding a near by stream, she washed the blood from her arm and sighed as she stood to take her leave and find Mino standing before her. "Hey," he grinned. 

"Hey," she grinned. 

"Thanks for not running away from the ceremony," he said gratefully.

She shrugged, remembering how it felt to be alone at the original ceremony, "It's fine." She looked at his arm that was bleeding and poorly bandaged. Shaking her head, she walked up to him and took his arm. Leading him to the stream, she washed and cleaned up the cut the best she could before ripping a piece of cloth from her dress. Gently dressing the wound, she smiled impressed by how well she did. 

"Wow you're a natural," he grinned making her look up at him. It was then that she realized it was a bad idea as she was now only a breath away from him. Gazing into his eyes they shimmered differently. There wasn't any hate or ill feelings, but something she had never experienced seeing in his eyes. It was all too much for her, as she turned her gaze back to the stream. But Mino had different plans as he reached out and gently turned her to face him once more. "Don't look away. Don't look away from me," he softly spoke. 

"Why," she mumbled as she stubbornly kept her gaze on the ground. 

"Because I need you to see what I had failed to see so long ago," he replied as he tilted her chin upward, making her look back into his eyes. "Thank you for finally writing me back." 

She chuckled as the tears started to well in her eyes, "I didn't know my words affected you that much." 

"It's not just your words, it's you. You helped me see..." he paused as he pulled out the white envelope she had slipped in the basket from the day before. "I didn't realize I had fallen for you. I didn't know that my letters to you were in fact, love letters. I loved you then and love you more now that I realized what I had to do to start making it up to you." Holding out his freshly bandaged arm, "I needed to make the vow to you. I needed to be a man and take ownership of my feelings for you." 

"Are you sure it wasn't forced," she scoffed as she wiped at her eyes. 

"Can I ask you something," he responded with a question. She nodded as she awaited his question, "Can I kiss you?" 

"Umm..." she didn't know what to say. Meanwhile Mino took a leap of faith and crushed his lips against hers. Kissing her strongly and hoping he could convey the feelings he had developed over the years. Taking her into his arms, he continued to work his lips against hers until he felt her melt against him. Bracing herself against him, she also took the leap as she kissed him back. Letting her lips work so effortlessly against his, she couldn't help but smile as he let out a hum of approval. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she let her fingers run through his hair as she pulled him further into the kiss. Giggling as she was lifted so easily and laid onto the cool ground beneath them. She gazed up into Mino's eyes and couldn't help the butterflies that fluttered in her stomach with the way he was looking down at her. Her heart rate started to pick up as he descended down only inches away from her lips. Gasping as he brushed his lips ever so gently across her own, she couldn't wait any longer as she reached up to take him by the collar of his shirt and pull him down. Crushing her lips against his, she felt something wet against her cheeks. Pulling away, she touched her cheek and looked up to Mino who was in tears. Not understanding what was wrong, she sat up as he moved to sit next to her and continued to cry. She didn't know how to react, as she slowly reached over and began to rub soothing circles on his back. 

Sniffling, he brushed the tears away and coughed, "You must think me weak." 

She shook her head as she sighed, "Crying doesn't make you weak." 

"I just...I've never felt something so strong like I felt as I was kissing you just barely. It was like it was meant to happen, like you were meant for me. Like you were the center of my universe and nothing mattered. Nothing but you matters," he chuckled feeling like he was sounding like a mad man. 

"Don't be ashamed. You're feelings are safe with me," she reassured him as she pat his back and pulled away. 

"Wait," he said in a panic as he caught her hand to stay her. "Where are you going?" 

"I'm not going anywhere. Don't worry, I'm just going to sit right here," she smiled as she took his hand in hers and squeezed it gently. 

Mino let out a sigh of relief as he intertwined their fingers, "I've never felt so intensely about someone like I do right now. I don't know, but your words ground me. I believe you, it's like my instinct is to trust you with every fiber of my being. Sorry if I sound so needy, but I just need to be near you." 

"You are," she as he moved as humanly close as he could be next to her. "Just relax, we'll figure this out together." 

Watching as he did what was said, he let out a sigh of relief as he looked at her with a bright smile, "I believe you." The sincerity in his voice made her grin as she shook her head. she wondered how things turned out this way. 

 

After much convincing, Minzy was able to get rid of Mino. He had begged and pleaded to sleep over to be near her or better yet have her sleep at his home. But she just couldn't. It was too much, she let out a sigh of relief as she closed her front door. Leaning against the door, she could sense that he was still standing in front of her house. "Go home Mino, I'll be fine," she called out. 

"Okay, good night Minzy," he called back as he reluctantly retreated. 

I've never seen anyone as spell bound as this poor soul, Seunghyun sighed. 

It's probably part of his curse for neglecting his promise to Minzy for so long, Jiyong said feeling sorry for the guy as well. 

"Minzy, come to the kitchen," father called out to her. 

Pushing her brothers' thoughts aside, she did what was asked of her, "Yes father?" 

"Come have a seat," he gestured to the chair across from his. Quietly moving to the chair, she smiled to father, "Mino is being overbearing because you are not showing him enough affection." 

"What," Minzy scoffed as she thought of the shared kiss in the forest. 

"I'm kicking you out of the house. You must live with Mino from here on out," her father said firmly. 

"Wait what, you're kicking me out of the house to be homeless," she said in shock. 

He shook his head as he further explained, "You're going to be living with Mino from here on out. I'm doing this because if what I've seen today is showing me anything he will go from being madly in love to insane and eventually too insane for him to handle and take his life." 

Minzy huffed out in disbelief, this bond sounded more like a curse every day. Shaking her head, she sighed as she turned to make her way to her room. Sadly packing her belongings, she didn't like how she had to leave the comfort of her own home for someone else's sake. 

"For someone who calls others selfish, you seem to be feeling the same way," her father called out to her. 

She shrugged as she zipped up her bag, "I guess I am, but my feelings seem to not matter." 

"Of course they matter," father interjected. "This bond will be more of a curse than a blessing if you choose to let it be that way. Fate is being kind to you right now because of all that you endured through the years with Mino. But don't be fooled, fate will deal with you when you least expect it if you don't accept it." 

"Fate has taken my power to choose. I don't need it to take the power to feel what I feel as well," she said with a bitter tone. Picking up her bags, she walked past father, "Goodbye father." Refusing to let her father drive her to Mino's house, she wanted to walk out with dignity as she walked down the roads with her bags in hand. Shuffling up the stairs with such heavy bags, she walked up to Mino's front door and rang his doorbell. Within seconds, the door swung open to see a surprised, yet delighted Mino. "Hi," she said as she lugged her heavy bags through the door and dropped them on the floor. "Where do I sleep?" 

He looked over joyed that she was there, "Umm...would you like to stay in my parent's room?" 

She shook her head, as she moved over to the couch and laid down, "Right here is fine." Letting out a heavy sigh, she closed her eyes after saying goodnight. Her ears perked up as she heard movement. Listening closely, she heard Mino walking around before placing a blanket onto her as he whispered a goodnight. Hearing him settle onto the floor beneath her, she peeked to see Mino smiling up at her. "That is creepy! Don't do that," she watched as the smile was quickly wiped off of his face. "Why don't you go sleep in your room on your bed?"

"With you sleeping out here on the couch? I think not," he said offended that she would think he would do such a thing. 

"Mino," she whined.

"Yes," he said delighted by her calling his name. 

She sat up and pouted, "Please go to your room to sleep so I can get some rest." 

"Only if you sleep in my parents bed, it is only right," he bargained. Debating on what to do, she finally gave in and let Mino lead her to his parent's room. "Welcome to your new bedroom." Minzy gasped in awe at how massive the room was, not to mention the bed was bigger than a king size, yet it did not over power the room. The colors were of blues, greens, and purples. All cool colors that she loved. "I asked your brothers what your style was, I hope you like it." 

"You did this all for me," she gawked at the details that most definitely were according to her taste. 

"For us," he clarified with a bright smile. 

She smiled as she shook her head and walked over to the bed. Letting out a soft moan as she laid onto the luscious bed, it felt heavenly. "I guess this bed is big enough for the both of us. If you wanna join..." Before she could finish, he was springing onto the other side of the bed causing them both to laugh. As the laughter subsided, Minzy frowned as she laid staring over at him. Meanwhile he laid with a bright smile to finally have her in their home, "I feel like all we talk about is apologies to one another." 

"Then don't apologize, tell me what is on your mind unapologetically," he said with a big smile plastered on his face. 

She sighed deeply as she thought of what to say, "Are you madly in love with me right now because of the bond?" 

He hummed as he thought of her question, "I'm not sure, but I do know that I feel strongly for you. Whether it's love or not I haven't really thought that through." It was his turn to flip it back on her, "Are you madly in love with me?"

"No," she answered right away. Her quick response had him flash a look of hurt, but she was just as quick to explain."But I feel strongly about you as well." Though her response did soften the blow, it stung and he found it hard to cover it up. She thought how to phrase what she was feeling, but struggled to find the words, "It's like this, we've been linked together for so long I just don't know how to feel about you. I know I should feel protected, cherished and loved when I'm around you, but you've taught me to doubt the system. Doubt that fate knows what's best for me. Doubt that if we're linked, it doesn't necessarily mean it's love." 

Mino reached out to take her hand in his as he rubbed comforting circles on her hand, "But your gut tells you to doubt those doubts right?" She nodded as he continued, "Doubt your doubts, not yourself. Meaning that you know what is right for you and no one, not even fate can deny it." 

"So you're saying to go with my gut feeling," she asked. 

"I'm saying, take it how you want to. It's your life to live," he said confidently. 

"Thanks," she smiled over at him as she brought up the surprise bond ceremony. 

The two had talked the night away as they caught up with what had happened over the past few years of disconnecting. The conversation soon faded out as Minzy became overwhelmed with exhaustion and fell asleep. Finding himself with a plastered smile on his face, he watched as she slept. Looking at her dream the night away, he sighed as he sat up and started to write her a letter.

It was Minzy who first awoke to the sunlight streaming through the windows. Fluttering her eyes open, she moved to try and stretch to see that Mino was still holding her hand. Grinning as she slid out of his grasp, she was caught off guard to hear him whimper her name softly at the loss of contact. Shaking her head, she turned to see a white envelope that had her name written on it. Taking the envelope off of the side table, she opened it to see it was a letter from Mino. 

Minzy,

The letter and the breakfast helped open my eyes, literally. It was as if a light came on in my mind that helped align both my mind and heart. I don't think I've ever had something like that happen to me before. Everything became as clear as day as I sought your father out and asked for your hand. Even though he told me you were already mine, I wanted to make sure of it. Watching everyone part to allow you to walk down that same feeling of my mind and heart aligning happened again. I felt my parents presence as your father blessed our union and just knowing that I made my parents proud brought me to tears. Now as I see you sleep next to me I can't help but tell you that I am sorry. Though you told me that you were tired of apologies I can't help them. I am so sorry that I didn't know that all you wanted was a friend. I am so sorry that time and time again I blamed you for my suffering. I'm sorry for loving Iother women as you stayed faithfully waiting for me. I am so sorry that you had to take my place in sending my parents off properly as I lived so selfishly. I am so sorry that you your mother passed away. I am so sorry that I couldn't let you love Bobby. I am sorry you had to be forced to be bonded yet again to an undeserving man. And I am most sorry that you would doubt my affection for you being merely the curse or of the bond...

"Truth be told, I'm sorry that I lied to you last night," Mino spoke up calling her attention back to him. Gazing back, he continued to recite the letter as if he had memorized it, "Minzy I know exactly what the strong feelings are for you. I just fear the rejection that will come if I speak the words." She felt her chest tighten as she sat quietly listening. "But I'm gonna take a chance and tell you that I love you. I loved you throughout the years without knowing and I love you even more as I say the words to you. So I beg of you with all of me, can we reflect on the past, live in the present, and hope for a bright future by becoming friends? Let us learn of one another and build a forever friendship as we work on becoming one." Minzy was in tears as he moved to take her hands in his, "So what do you say? Can we be friends?" She laughed as she nodded, letting him pull her into a tight embrace. She let out a sigh of relief as he kissed the top of her head, she felt safe and cherished. But most of all she felt herself letting her guard down to this man she now called a friend. 

 

YEARS LATER

Mino laughed as he chased the children around the lawn. "Dinner is ready," Minzy called out through the window. 

"But mom..." little Jiyong pouted. 

"No buts, come in and get cleaned up. Grand-dad is coming over for dinner tonight," Minzy gave her children a knowing look. 

"Grand-daddy," little Bom squealed as they came rushing inside. 

"I wonder what he's gonna bring us today," CL chimed in. 

Mino shook his head as he followed their children in, "Wow, can his visit be good enough? Sheesh, whose kids are these." Mino shook his head as he walked behind Minzy and took her by her hips. Planting a soft kiss onto her neck that made her giggle, she teasingly bumped him away. 

"Stop, you're distracting me," Minzy blushed as Mino continued to pepper kisses down her neck. 

"Get a room," little Seunghyun shook his head as he shuffled into the kitchen. 

"Hey are you saying you want another brother or sister," Mino teased as he nuzzled his face into his wife's neck. 

All four of the children moaned and groaned seeing how affectionate their parents were being. "Can you believe they hated each other once upon a time," Minzy's father came in shaking his head.

"Grand-dad," the children screeched as they went rushing into his arms. 

Minzy turned into her husband's embrace and tip toed up to peck his lips, "I love you, you know that right?" 

"As a friend or like as your lover boy," he wiggled his eyebrows up and down at her. 

She laughed at his dorkish ways and embraced him tightly, "As a friend and as my lover boy, like we were blessed to be one." It was as if a weight had been lifted off of her shoulders. Smiling up at the man who held her, she floated up towards Mino's lips. Taking them to her very own, she giggled as he groaned with want. 

"You still smell like strawberries," he mumbled into their kiss.

Pecking his lips once more, she let out a happy sigh of how much she had learned to love his sweet kisses and many more things about him. Gazing over at her children who were arguing over the new gift grand-dad had brought with father standing back amused and laughing, she shook her head while Mino joined in laughing. Her husband's hearty laughter made her smile as she thought of mother. This is happiness.

This is our happiness, Mino clarified as they gave each other knowing looks of understanding. 

 

Author's Notes:

Yes! Cheesy endings for the win haha! Thanks for reading, hope yall enjoyed this short story as much as I enjoyed imagining and writing it. I've got the next set started so be on the look out for the next update! Until then, hope everyone has a blessed week!