Red & Gold vs Black & Silver

Fallen Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next few days were filled with preparation for Ren's meeting with Hyunseung or whomever he decided to fight for him. JR hoped that he would accept it, since it seemed like the only resolution to the problem and he had a feeling that someone as conceited as Hyunseung would, given that his pride and standing would be on the line. Reclaiming the kingdom depended on it, so he hoped that Ren would have the strength to win.

 

Yoseob had been a nervous wreck since finding out about their plan to duel and take down Hyunseung, but he knew it was the best way. He could take comfort in the knowledge that JR wasn't fighting personally, but he was still worried about the entire situation and the success, as well. On top of that, even if he wanted to stop JR from doing this, he knew he couldn't. JR was not only an adult now, but also the rightful king of Alertesia, so he didn't have a say in the matter. All he could do was worry and hope it all went well, while keeping the tavern going, at the same time. At least he had Aron and Baekho to help him with that, since he might have gone insane otherwise.

 

After deciding on a date that would be best, JR met with an official magistrate, knowing the man would keep everything confidential and work it all out in an official manner that would draw Hyunseung out and cause him to see that it was the best solution. On top of it all, JR knew he could trust the magistrate, having known his son, Joshua, for many years, so he knew he was safe. Magistrate Hong signed the official documents, sending out announcements and summons to Hyunseung, stating the rules of the duel and the reason behind it. Hyunseung could not order JR's death for a claim such as this, since it was illegal for him to deny JR the throne, once it was proven that he was the true heir. They were confident that he would accept it, and set the date for one week since the summons and announcements had been sent out.

 

The next day, JR met with Ren and Minhyun to watch them fight, gauging Ren's skills for himself. He trusted Minhyun's words from before and his confidence in Ren's skills, but wanted to see it for himself.

 

"You're absolutely confident that you can beat whoever he chooses to fight for him?" JR grinned at the younger man, gaining a disapproving glare from Minhyun. "You do understand that I'm not doubting you at all. I'm just making sure you're ready to go up against anyone."

 

 

Ren laughed, not taking offense at him, in the least. If nothing else, he seemed to be excited about the fight. "JR, I see this as a huge privilege, and if this will take care of the problem and put you on the thone, it's worth the risk. On top of that, you should see some of the people I've beat in the past, if you want to dig them up," the fighter smirked at him, testing the balance of his sword. "I don't lose, so you don't have anything to worry about."

 

JR laughed sharply at his friend's confidence, but became serious again a second later. "I just don't want you to die because of this duel." Turning his attention to the sword in Ren's hand, he looked down at the one on his own belt. "Hey, would you object to using my father's sword? It might put new meaning into this duel, if you catch my drift."

 

Ren's cockiness disappeared at the offer of the royal object. "I would consider it an honor to duel with your father's sword! Thank you! Do you mind if I test its balance now?"

 

JR grinned at him, somehow having already known he would have never turned it down. "Of course. Thank you." Unbuckling the sword belt, he handed it to Ren, along with the cherished sword. "Only go to first blood or until one of you has the other down."

 

Minhyun smiled at JR, offering his own approval as he settled into his fighting stance. Ren had finished balancing the sword and was satisfied with it, settling into potion to face off against his friend.

 

They began the practice duel, setting it in the same manner of an official duel, with JR as the judge. Once they began, JR was amazed at Ren's skill, dodging Minhyun's strikes and expertly parrying against him with precision. Even though both men were very good, the fight only last about five minutes, when Ren got Minhyun down on the ground, holding his sword to his throat. Minhyun immediately yielded to him, ending the fight without any bloodshed.

 

"Is that good enough for you, Your Majesty?" Ren asked, helping Minyhun to his feet with a grin.

 

JR nodded, now completely confident in Ren's skills and his mind more at ease over the coming duel. "Yes, it is. Thank you both for your help. I appreciate it."

 

*

 

That evening after Aron got off from work, JR took him out to eat at a tavern he trusted to not poison him again. JR watched as the drinks were poured, confident that the servers didn't pose a threat to him. Aron also wore his sword out in the open on the outside of his tunic, sending a message to anyone who wished to harm JR.

 

While they were eating, JR leaned in and kissed Aron. When the other man looked a bit worried about the open gesture, JR

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter