Blue Moon

Fallen Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the next few days, JR slipped in out of consciousness and he was unaware of anything around him. Aron stayed by his side as much as possible, and asked Yoseob at two different times if he should get the doctor again. Both times Yoseob refused, telling him that the doctor couldn't do any more for him, and he didn't want to get any healers involved, since they might let the word out that JR was still sick. That could be very bad, if it got as far as Hyunseung. Yoseob was determined to keep this secret, especially with the spies Hyunseung undoubtedly had planted all around. He was certain that the tyrant had sent someone to poison JR, and until they found out the truth, this couldn't get out.

 

Ren and Baekho had also helped in keeping this situation private, deflecting anyone who asked about the sick young man. Even though Ren didn't work for the tavern, he had proven valuable to them, so Yoseob had allowed him into their private circle. Minhyun had also been in a few times, and Aron had insisted that his friend was trustworthy, so Yoseob had allowed him to see JR, but hadn't taken any offers for him to help out. Aron had noticed that Yoseob still didn't trust him fully, something that bothered the younger man greatly. However, he kept it to himself out of respect and trust for his boss. Yoseob knew what he was doing.

 

On the third day of JR's sickness, Aron was approached by Minhyun, who motioned for them to exit the tavern. Once out in the secluded street, Minhyun broke the silence.

 

"You know, I'll bet Yoseob is waiting for the second quarter moon to see if it will do any good," he his lips, chewing on the lower one nervously. Running his eyes over Aron's messy, ragged appearance, he frowned. His older friend looked terrible, the bags under his eyes clearly visible and dark.

 

Aron snickered, noticing the disapproval from his tall friend. "I know. I need to sleep more. I will...when JR improves," he sighed, trying not to think of what could happen if things took a turn for the worse. "You're right, though. The second quarter moon is his best chance." He thought about it for a moment, shaking his head. "It's supposed to happen tonight, and last for the next few days." He laughed, smiling at Minhyun. "Or, um, nights. The moon isn't out during the day."

 

Minhyun grinned at him, taking a drink of his ale. "Well, technically it is out during the day, but not shining. I know what you mean, though. The power from it won't be."

 

Aron nodded silently, thinking about the moon. There were four different stages for the quarter moons, and only one of them had healing power. If they were wrong about the timing and cycle of the moon, it could be a matter of life or death for JR. Just the thought of losing him was sickening.

 

"Why would someone want to kill someone like JR, anyway?" Aron jumped when Minhyun uttered the question, his already round eyes widening even more.

 

"Oh, ing hell! I'm sorry," Aron blushed at his startled reaction, choosing his response carefully. "I don't know. Maybe it was what he saw at the town square the other day, and didn't you say he seemed especially jumpy, too?" He hated lying to Minhyun, but he knew he couldn't let the real reason for wanting JR dead. JR's death would ensure Hyunseung's continued reign, carried down through the tryant's line. That would mean certain doom to Alertesia for an indefinite period of time.

 

"Yeah, maybe so. He was also supposed to meet with me that night to discuss a plan he had, but that was the same night he got sick," Minhyun rubbed his arm, inspecting the scrape he saw there. "I'm guessing maybe someone overheard our conversation and didn't want us to discuss the matter further. There are deceitful ears everywhere."

 

Aron nodded, curious about what they might have been discussing. "Yeah, that could be it," he replied quietly. "Well, I should be getting back to the tavern. With JR out, we'll be short-handed."

 

Minhyun sighed deeply, seeming to be irritated by Yoseob's lack of trust in him. "Why doesn't he hire Minki? Is it because he's more of a figher than anything else?"

 

Aron opened his mouth to reply,then closed it again, turning to face Minhyun. "Are you talking about Ren? So, his name really is Minki? I've always been confused, because he introduced himself as Ren. What do you know about him?"

 

Minhyun pursed his lips, nodding thoughtfully before answering. "He used to work for my father, taking the swords he made into tournaments," he snickered, shaking his head. "He wouldn't lose easily. Don't be fooled by his pretty face. He can be deadly. That's why he's careful about who he takes jobs for."

 

Aron offered a half-smile, trying to imagine the delicate looking young man even knowing how to hold a weapon. "I see. It's understandable how he fools people. So...he's a mercena

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter