Burning Motivation

Fallen Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been six months since Lizzy's death, and JR was no closer to finding out who had murdered her, but he was still certain that she hadn't died of natural causes. Moving on with his life, he had now taken to scrutinizing everyone that walked into the tavern. He knew it was likely meaningless, but he still couldn't shake the feeling that someone had gotten away with murder.

 

Things had also changed in his personal life. While he still had a constant friend in Aron, he could feel his relationship with Baekho becoming more distant. He knew the reason, and his name was Choi Minki. The day he had avoided the pretty young man had been the day he had lost him to Baekho. His friend had distanced himself since then, likely feeling guilty for stealing Minki's heart from him. JR thought it was slightly ridiculous, but hadn't taken the time to fix that issue. It would come back around in its own time.

 

He had also found a close friend in Minhyun, and the younger man had bonded with him by trying to teach him to hone his sword-fighting skills...only to Aron's amusement. JR just wasn't cut out to be a swordsman and he was okay with that. He knew that he could beat Minhyun any day of the week with a bow and arrow, so that helped Minhyun's ego from growing too big. They had their own preferences and we're both okay with that.

 

One day while he was on his way back from the market, JR saw something that stopped him in his tracks and made his blood run cold. A large crowd of people were forming and JR could see several of the so-called royal officials guarding a platform. It was the sight at the platform that had the young man disturbed. Two young men were bound to metal stakes in the ground, and the closest official was holding an unlit torch in his right hand. JR swallowed hard, knowing there was nothing he could do for the men.

 

His heart pounding, he stared at the young men, probably not much older than he himself was, and made his way to edge of the crowd. Feeling sick to his stomach, JR watching in horror as the officials began explaining what the men had done to deserve this fate, and that, at the order of King Hyunseung, they would be burned at the stake. The two young men had found the treasure that JR and his friends had failed to bring out of the cabin ten years earlier. Despite the claim that the treasure had been for whomever was able to find it, these men were about to die as their reward. The head official, dressed in the black and crimson uniform of the Crown, finished his speech, then held his torch out for his servant to light it. The two young men appeared to be resolved to their fate as the official placed the torch between the two men, igniting the pitch. JR felt tears stinging his eyes as he watched and heard the screams as they were burned alive. Though he did feel sympathy for the two young men, the real reason for his tears was the frustration from being so helpless. Everyone knew that Hyunseung was an imposter and that he wasn't the rightful ruler, but no one was strong enough to go against him and stop his tyrany, so this was how things would continue.

 

Grinding his teeth, JR looked over at the head official, locking eyes with him. The official didn't look away, and instead of feeling fear facing the enemy, JR felt a determination to do something. One way or another, he would stop the terrible reign of the imposter Hyunseung. He made a promise to the young men who would soon be reduced to ashes and bones. The innocent boys who had died because of a lie. He would put a stop to it.

 

Finally looking away from the official, JR turned to go back home. He needed time to think of something that would work, because he had seen and heard enough. On his way home, he felt as if someone might be following him, so he headed to the shop that Minhyun's family owned instead. As soon as he walked in and Minhyun saw the troubled look on his face, the taller man walked over to his table, eyeing him.

 

"Hey there," his friend greeted him quietly, motioning to the chair. "May I sit?"

 

JR jumped when the other man spoke, startled. Nodding, he ran his hand through his thick hair. "Did you see the town square today? Those men..." Closing his eyes and placing his head in his hands, JR could feel his emotions coming to the surface.

 

Minhyun pulled a chair out, being careful to not scrape the marbled tile. Sitting down, he seemed tense to JR, a clear indication that he knew what his friend was talking about. "Yeah, I heard. I don't know how he gets away with this , and those boys were innocent. It's just a power play to send a message to the town

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter