Words From the Past

Fallen Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twenty year old JR glanced through the small window of the restaurant's kitchen area. Business was slow, and he didn't have any tables to serve yet. However, it was still early, and many of the tenents in the tavern were up and ready for breakfast yet.

 

"You know, you could sit down and eat something while we wait for the customers to really start getting here," Aron smiled at him, his round eyes still heavy with fatigue. "As you know, customers don't flood the tavern until after nine, and it's only eight-thirty," his slightly older friend sat down and pulled the bowl of fruit close enough for them to share, motioning for JR to take a seat himself.

 

JR sighed, the action triggering a yawn. Walking over to the kettle full of coffee, he poured two steaming cups and carried them over to the table before going back for the jar of milk and a spoon. He placed the milk in between them, cradling his coffee cup to warm his hands as he tried to wake himself up fully. "So, what's on the menu today? Do you have any idea?" He knew it was a lame thing to talk about, but this was his livelihood and his father's legacy for him, so the tavern took presidence over anything else.

 

Aron stifled a yawn, pouring milk into both cups before reaching for a strawberry. "I smelled your father roasting some chicken, so I would assume we are serving chicken as the special," he grinned at JR, glancing toward the window into the customer area. Seeing that the room was still empty, he shook his head. This had been the pattern for the last year, with more and more people staying home to eat, instead of paying money to eat out. Yoseob's Tavern was losing business and popularity, and they all knew it. It certainly wasn't the thriving tavern it had been twenty years before, due to the rising taxes and lack of money. Alertesia was beginning to become a poor country and everyone knew it.

 

JR stabbed a chunk of pineapple and put it on his plate to begin cutting it up. "Well, chicken is always good, especially the way my dad prepares it, so it should bring in some customers. Don't worry!" He grinned at his friend before placing a piece of pineapple in his mouth.

 

Aron watched him for a moment, a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth. "You're always so optimistic, and that's refreshing. It's what we need right now, so thank you." He spoke the words with honesty, truly amazed at JR's ability to stay positive.

 

JR smiled back at him, standing up and finishing his coffee. He had just seen two customers enter, the man holding the door open for the enderly woman to pass in front of him. She made her way over to her favorite seat, using her cane, as usual. "Yay! We have customers! Maybe the day isn't going to be a total loss," he grinned at Aron, who rolled his eyes. "I'll be back."

 

Aron watched him leave, carrying the coffee kettle and jar of milk with him. He knew his friend would be a while, so he simply made his way to the back to the ovens to talk to Yoseob.

 

JR carried the coffee out to the gentleman first, serving him coffee and taking his breakfast order. When he was done, he made his way over to the older woman's table, smiling. "Good morning, Lizzy. How are you today? Is it coffee and a bowl of oatmeal today? We have some fresh fruit, as well, if you want some. It would go really nicely mixed in." The young man shifted, stepping back with one foot. He knew that she would likely order the same thing that she ate every morning, right on schedule.

 

Lizzy smiled at him, her eyes bright, but unfocused. "Aren't you smiley today! It's always great to know you are happy, my dear boy. Yes, I would like the oats and some fruit. Surprise me, for once. It's a nice change."

 

JR's smile widened, marvelling at her ability to pick up his mood and expression, even though she was completely blind. "Yes, I am. I'm honestly happier when you come in. It makes the morning better." He spoke softly, but it didn't take away the natually rough, sightly raspy tone of his voice.

 

The petite old woman smirked at him, shaking her head. "Your flattery is wonderful, my dear, but I am the one who is grateful to you. I feel needed when I'm around you, and I hope you never lose your passion and joy of life," she reached over and took his hand, caressing it gently before smiling. "Now I hope you find the right person to make you happy. Or I should say happier. You are secure in your own life. I think you should open your eyes a bit more to the possibilities of love, though," she smiled when JR snickered softly. "He's out there somewhere. Someone like you wouldn't have been meant to go through life alone. It just takes time."

 

JR smiled softly, understanding what she was trying to say. She was one of the only people who knew of his preference of men. He had tried telling himself he just hadn't found the right woman to make him feel the attraction he should to them, but deep down he knew the truth, and the ones close to him were okay with him not being attracted to the opposite gender. Even his father was okay with it, and that was a great relief to him. "Thank you, ma'am," he replied softly, taking a seat across from her briefly. "Things were different in the old days, weren't they?"

 

Lizzy smiled, taking a bite of her oatmeal that had been brought out by Baekho, who had been hired as a server. They had tried him as a sous chef, but Baekho was certain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter