Realization

Fallen Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Early the next morning, JR found Yoseob in the kitchen writing out the menu for that day. Smiling at his father, he felt ashamed of his actions the night before. Even though he had felt angy and betrayed, he knew that Yoseob only had his best interest at heart and that he had been protecting him.

 

"Good morning!" He smiled at his father, taking a seat across from him. He knew that this could be the best time to talk, since they wouldn't have any customers for another two hours. When Yoseob smiled at him and set the menu aside, he knew his father was ready to talk. JR sighed, taking the initiative. "First of all, I want to apologize for my actions last night. They were very childish and uncalled for. You have always been protecting me, and now I know why. Thank you," he added, smiling at him.

 

Yoseob nodded, tracing the edge of his coffee cup with his finger. "I wanted to tell you sooner, but didn't feel that it was safe. I also wanted you to have a normal childhood, free from the responsibilities of the rightful king you are. I'm proud of the man you have become, and it's about time you knew the truth," Yoseob stood up and poured coffee for JR and handing it to him before seating himself again. "As far as Aron finding out...that was an accident. He found a document I had written, telling the truth of where I found you and everything in my own background," he laughed, his eyes crinkling slightly. "He's nosy. I had to explain everything to him, especially in the wake of his own father's execution. I owed him that. Do you understand?"

 

JR nodded, remembering when Aron's father had been put to death. He could imagine how his friend must have felt finding out something like that, given his history. "Yeah, I do. I understand why you had to tell him, and I'm glad you did, knowing the reasons. So, what's the whole story?"

 

His father smiled at him, taking another drink of his coffee. "Here you go. I'll explain everything to the best of my ability..." After that, he went on to explain about how he had saved Queen Jessica from an assassin as a teenager, killing the other man and taking his body to King Hyungmoon. He had been given a sword that had been passed down for generations, and offered a high position in the royal court. Yoseob had turned the offer down graciously, telling the king that he had promised his father on his deathbed that he would carry on with the family tavern. King Hyungmoon had honored his refusal, bidding him farewell with the sword and the promise of eternal gratitude. It was only three short years later that Yoseob had found JR, knowing it was his duty to take in the only surviving member of the royal family and raise him to become the king Alertesia desperately needed. JR knew the rest of the story.

 

JR stared at his father for a long moment before replying. When he did, his voice was fun of gratitude and slightly shaky. "Wow...I had begun to figure these things out, but I hadn't realized the extent of it all. If you had taken t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter