Chapter Four: First Mission

Words Can Hurt Too
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Doyeon took a bottle of soda out of her bag and shook it, spraying it everywhere. Sejeong began singing, "Celebration time, come on!", pointing her fingers in every direction while awkwardly shaking her hips. 

Nayoung flicked both of them on the forehead in annoyance. "Pabos! You don't even know what the mission is yet and you're already celebrating."

Yuri continued, "Your mission is: going back to school."

Doyeon dropped her soda bottle in shock, splashing Sejeong's pants, causing her to fall while she was dancing. 

Doyeon blinked rapidly, shocked that she'd have return to school. "Why? That place . The only thing good there was my best friend Yoojung."

"Regulations state each assassin have to have a cover for their real identity. We can't have the government on our tails about truancy and such," explained Yuri, while handing them each a folder. 

Yuri continued, "Doyeon and Sejeong will be Wonju Elementary School students, while Nayoung will be a Wonju Middle School student." 

Looking down at her necklace, Sejeong's memories of Chungha came flooded into her brain. Sejeong bitterly thought, "It's already been two months since she left." She wiped the unshed tears from her eyes, wondering where and what Chungha was doing right now. "I hope she's having a great life without me."

Nayoung's voice snapped Sejeong out of her thoughts. "What's bothering you?" 

"Huh? Nothing important," responding Sejeong, but in reality, her heart hurt like crazy. Imagine something so wonderful and important just left in an instant and you couldn't do anything about it. Her grandparents, mother, and best friend left her all on the same day, effectively crushing her heart.

"We'll talk about this later," whispered Nayoung, while putting an arm around Sejeong. Nayoung was usually emotionless, only expressing annoyance at times, so this caring side of Nayoung surprised Sejeong. 

"Since we briefed you on your mission, you're free to do whatever you want. Your school mission starts tomorrow." Sooyoung waved goodbye to trio and left with Yuri to go buy more fried chicken. 

Doyeon threw her hands up in frustration. "Why do we have to go to my school? Why can't we go to your school, Sejeong?"

Sejeong scanned the file for their mission. "It's says here that I moved and changed schools because my house was burned down. Everything on this file is true, except the fact that says that I live with my mom, grandparents, and my brother is going to college at Seoul Unversity." 

They decided to go over the contents of the files in depth at their shared room. While Doyeon was the one who was actually reading her file, Sejeong and Nayoung were deep in thought. 

Doyeon sighed loudly, snapping them out of their thoughts. "Guys, I thought we were gonna read the folders, not mope in silence about going back to school."

"Sorry kid. We're thinking about, uh, stuff," replied Sejeong, picking up the folder. "Let's go over your folder."

Doyeon smiled in excitement, happy that they were finally going over their identities. "My stepfather gave custody of me over to my "grandmother", the Assassin that will supervise our mission. Her name is Kang Mal-soon, a 55 year old woman that is a high ranking assassin that's been in the Order for 30 years."

Nayoung opened her folder, curious at what it would say about her identity. Her eye began to twitch when she read the contents. "I was adopted by a monk, but he felt that a being as holy as me should be living among humans to learn their ways and become the true Stone Nayoung. I used live with a modest farmer by the countryside in Wonju, but he sent me to live with Kang Mal-soon because he wanted me to go to school."

Sejeong began to laugh her ahjusshi laugh. "It looks like it's fate. You are still Stone Nayoung, even in a fake identity." 

Nayoung grumbled in annoyance. "Hurry up and read your file."

Sejeong smugly smirked, assuming that her identity would be better than Nayoung's. "I already told you most of it. Bit I'll read it again anyways. I'm an elementary student living with my mom, brother, and grandparents in the countryside of Wonju. We moved two months ago since my house burned down."

Her smirk turned into an embarrassed smile she saw what caused the fire. "My house burned down when I was playing with a lighter. I released a strong and loud fart, so the fire caught onto the gas, burning my house down." Sejeong hid her red face in her hands after reading the rest of the folder. 

Doyeon fell on the floor, clutching her stomach and hysterically laughing while Nayoung tried to hold in her giggling, but she was obviously failing. 

"Stop laughing!" yelled Sejeong, red-faced from embarassment. "This isn't even the real reason why my house burned down. It burned down because..." She stopped, reminiscing of the events that occured two months ago. The sound of gunshots, the smell of smoke, jumping out of the window. Her eyss began to glisten with tears, but she wiped them before they could fall. 

Nayoung patted Sejeong's back. "You don't have to tell us. It's fine."

Sejeong sighed heavy-heartily, deciding to continue. "I s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter