Behind The Cold Gaze

Maleficent and Golden Knights

Rose was just eighteen but she had to work her off. She had to do all the house chores and even cook for the two witches in the house, her stepsister and stepmother. 

Not just that, she took a part time job at a convenient store somewhere near her house. His father did send her money but the two witches took them all. It was tiring but that was all she can do to survive. 

"Rose!!!!" The old witch shouted very loudly as if Rose was deaf. Rose who was busy with the laundry quickly dried her hands and ran to her room. 

"Yes?"

"Cook me ramen."

"It's just ramen. You can cook it by yourself." She bravely objected even when she already knew the consequence.

The witch slapped her, hard.

"You don't have to act all b*tchy to show me you're a b*tch. I already know." She smirked. 

Rose glared at her angrily. 

"How dare you glare at me?" She slapped her for the second time. Rose winced in pain. 

"Get lost. Make it done in 5 minutes and send it to my room."

Rose felt like crying but she quickly shed her tears. She had been enduring this for so long, she shouldn't be crying. She was strong and will forever be. 

She was boiling the noodles when her hair was pulled harshly from the back. 

"Are you stupid? How many times do I have to tell you my clothes should be hand washed?!!" Hyelin pulled her hair harder. She tried to release herself from her grip but Hyelin was slightly stronger. Rose was too weak to fight back. Her strength was only her cold gaze and that was all she had. 

Hyelin kicked her shin making her fall on the floor. She winched in pain but not even a single tear fall from her beautiful eyes. 

"Know your place, stupid. Father doesn't care about you anymore. Just wait a little longer and you'll see who is the true queen." She mocked her. She stepped on her leg real hard before making her way out of the kitchen. 

Rose got up and continued making ramen for the old witch. Her leg felt like it was just hit by a truck. That fat witch should go through some diet programmes. Her leg alone weight like a truck. 

Rose was hurt but there was no point on showing it. Nobody cared. Yugyeom did but he was still too young, like her. They were powerless. 

Magic was the only thing that could change her life. And that was impossible to her.

 


 

It was three in the morning and Rose was at the convenient store, doing her part time job. She was tired but she didn't think sleeping during her shift would bring her any good. She might ended up losing her job. Her face was bruised and swollen by the slaps from the witch but it didn't matter anymore. She was too tired to care. 

There was no customer so she decided to listen to the iPod. She had fallen in love with all the tracks in there. All the songs potrayed her feelings beautifully. Depression, anxiety and the needs to feel loved. She wondered who was the singer because she had never heard any of the songs. Guess it was from some underground band. 

She was too engrossed in the music when someone suddenly took off her earphone. She was startled but groaned in annoyance when she saw him. 

"What do you want?" She asked harshly.

"Excuse me? Is this how you treat your customer?" Jungkook asked sarcastically.

"No but you're an exception." She rolled her eyes. She did that a lot that her eyeballs might ended up getting stucked. 

"Why is that?" He raised his eyebrow.

"Because you're annoying." She answered in a duh tone. He shrugged, acting like it was not a big deal. 

He walked off towards the freezer and took a pack of ice. He then grabbed few snacks and took a cup of ramen before going back to the cashier. 

"The total is $." Rose said coldly.

"Do you have handkerchief?" Jungkook asked out of blue. Rose stared at him, confused. But she then grabbed her bag and took out a handkerchief. She handed it to him. 

Jungkook took it before he suddenly walked to her and dragged her to the chairs nearby. He pulled her down, making her sit on one of the chair. Rose was too startled that she couldn't make a move, nor talking back. 

Jungkook put few cubes of ice on the handkerchief before wrapping it neatly. He then pressed it on her face. He did it very gently as if her face was glass and he's afraid of breaking it. 

"Who did this to you?" He asked softly. 

"None of your business." She, however, answered him coldly. 

He smirked. "Feisty, I like."

"I don't like you." She replied. 

"Unfortunately, I don't care." He chuckled. Rose felt like kicking him on his face but the softness in his gaze calmed her. 

Jungkook was still pressing ice on her face when he suddenly noticed the slight bruise on her ankle. She was wearing jeans but her shoes was low cut that it slightly showed her ankle. Rose felt uncomfortable by Jungkook's stare so she quickly got up. 

But, Jungkook was faster. He pulled her down, back at her seat. He got up from his seat and kneeled down in front of her. He took off her shoe and scanned her ankle. He glanced at her miserable face. She looked like she was about to cry but he knew she was holding back. He took the ice pack and pressed it on her ankle. 

"You better don't let me know who did this. I'll just kill that bastard." He mumbled under his breath.

Rose felt like crying now that she felt like someone actually cared. But she knew she shouldn't. Jungkook's touch was gentle and soft. He made her felt safe. 

Jungkook got up as he was done. He caught Rose staring at him, "Are you done checking me out?" 

"You're still annoying." She made an annoyed face which made him laughed. 

"Now, sleep." 

"Are you insane? I'm working." 

"Just sleep, idiot. I'll take over. Don't worry I won't steal anything." 

"Why should I trust you?"

"Because you have to." He said. He gently pushed her head down, positioning it carefully on the table. He then closed her eyes using his hand. 

Rose was too tired to fight and she was very sleepy as well. It didn't take her too long before she drifted into sleep. 

Goodnight, world 🌛