Chapter 4: Another Encounter

I'm Just Another Bystander
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

         During school the same day, Taemin ended up sticking to me like glue. I didn’t know why he was clinging on to me, when it seemed like he hated me. Maybe he really was scared of The Twins and their gang, but then again, who wouldn’t be scared? I felt the urge to just push him away from me, but I dealt with it for as long as I could. We were in our homeroom during lunch because we apparently had the same idea to stay away from The Twins and he was sitting so close to me that our thighs were touching. That was the last straw for me. Out of frustration I threw my metal chopsticks on the desk after feeling him shift in his seat; we were so close I could feel his every move. Then I pushed his chair away from me. He was lighter than I expected. He gave me a confused expression and I just glared at him. Then he had the audacity to scoot his chair closer to me. After feeling his thigh next to mine again, I gave up and grunted to catch his attention. Don’t tell me I have a grunting problem.

         “What’s wrong with you? Are you a leech or something?” I snapped loudly at him. I grunted again and placed my head in the palms of my hands.

         “Could you be quiet for once? I swear I’m going to go deaf being around you,” he said as he crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair.

         It took a lot to not point out that he was the one who wouldn’t leave a centimeter of space between us which was probably why I sounded louder. I slowly turned my head so I was looking at him, but my head was still laying in my hands. He raised an eyebrow at me which only made me grit my teeth harder. Taemin was also more arrogant than I originally thought. I can see why he gets beat up everyday. If I wasn’t the nice person I was, I would have beaten his face in too. Pssh, that little tackle meant nothing. I continued to glare at him, trying to express my frustration through my eyes. His chair was still sitting next to mine, so my head was at an awkward angle, and my frustration face was demented. I rose out of my seat so I could leave the room and his cocky arrogance.

          I stormed out of the classroom and slammed the door behind me, hoping that he wouldn’t follow me. I couldn’t take two more years of this torture. Before I knew it, I might be bald in my third year.

I ended up pacing in the hallway for no particular reason. I wasn’t thinking about anything; it just felt good to not have a leech on me at the moment. In the principal’s office, he acted like he hated the idea of us “becoming friends”, but now here he is, acting like a contemptuous needy girlfriend. It’s bad enough he already looks like a girl. I leaned against the wall right beside the classroom door. I began to rub my temples to calm myself down and get rid of the slowly developing headache.          

Just then, he came outside and immediately grabbed my left wrist once he saw me. He had a tight grip on my wrist and kept it close to his face, yet it was far away from him at the same time. His face was unreadable and I was afraid he was going to assault me. A lump formed in my throat and I had to swallow a couple of times to get rid of it. He noticed my gulps and was staring at my neck and I stopped because he was making me feel awkward. His eyes rose to meet mine, with an intimidating stare that made my voice shake with fear.

         “What... what are you doing?” I managed to say.

         My eyes were darting from my hands to his face. He jerked my wrist, pulling me forward, making me even closer to him. Instead of thinking that he was going to beat me up, the idea of began to go through my head.

         “Please don’t -

         “Never leave me alone again,” he said through his teeth. Every syllable he said was stressed, making chills go down my back.

         I had to gulp down my fear again and nodded vigorously. His grip loosened on my wrist as he started to lower my hand, but he didn’t let go yet. His face became readable and his eyes were filled with fear. It made me wonder to myself What have they done to you? I took a step closer, and wrapped my right arm around him to pull him close to me so I could give him an understanding hug. After about two seconds, he pushed me off of him and let go of my wrist. When he let go of my hand, it felt like he had jerked it a little, so it hurt.

         “Get off of me! I know you’re a loner but do you have to be so desperate? Aish,” he said as he brushed his shirt off like I made it extremely filthy or wrinkled. That was amazing, I thought, returning back to his normal self in only two seconds.

         “Um, who told you you can talk to me like that?” I asked with an attitude.

         “Um, my brain,” he mocked me, and rolled his eyes like it was such an obvious answer.

         “Why are you so difficult?!” I wailed and stomped my feet on the ground repeatedly. I was already worn out from having arguments and recriminations with him all the time.

         “Why are you so easy?” he immediately responded with gasp. My eyes widened in shock at the words he chose. His comeback failed, but still turned into an insult. I would’ve walked away if he hadn’t just told me to never leave him again. The silence grew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter