Kim Jonghyun (1)--Class President

Produce 101 season 2 imagines~

(Requested by @ichegdrgn)

(Y/N) hung her fiftieth poster on the wall, amidst snickers from the rest of the school.

“She thinks it’s okay to run against Kim Jonghyun,” they jeered.

She tried to ignore their voices, but her shoulders slumped. Of course. Kim Jonghyun was the most popular member at Kina High School, and that was precisely the reason why she hated him. Everyone worshipped him and thought he was the smartest, greatest person on earth, and she just couldn’t understand why his popularity had caused everyone else to laugh at her all the time…

It had started since birth, pretty much. They always liked the same things, so they always competed against each other in everything. Whether it was in rapping, studying, or running for office, he was always the winner. And, naturally, she was the loser.

“Good luck,” said Jonghyun as he passed her by.

She rolled her eyes. “Thanks a lot.”

On Wednesday, she put on her cutest outfit, hoping that today was the day for her to break this constant curse of failure.

"Should we elect a school council president, then?" The teacher said as the class nodded in unison.

“I nominate (Y/N),” Kim Doyeon, (Y/N)’s best friend, said with a wink to her.

She leaned over and whispered, “Thanks.”

“I nominate Kim Jonghyun,” said Hwang Minhyun, and the entire class broke into cheers.

The voting ended and Kim Jonghyun won 48:2. It was obvious who had voted for (Y/N): Kim Doyeon and probably just some other person.

Filled with embarrassment, she bit her lip to keep her tears from coming. This was so stupid. Why had she even wanted to be a class president in the first place?

The bell rang, and Doyeon touched her shoulder. “Are you okay?”

(Y/N) nodded, still biting her lip. “Thank you for voting for me and for being so supportive.”

“That’s what friends are for.” Doyeon smiled.

“Aww….” she stopped. “You know, I feel like it’s a curse. Every single time, I lose and only get two votes.”

“Well, I believe that we can break it--together!” Doyeon grinned.

“Thanks again. I...I’m gonna go to the restroom,” (Y/N) said, realizing that Kim Jonghyun was looking at her.

She ran to the restroom, finally able to clear her thoughts and wipe any possible tears away. As she walked out, she locked eyes with Jonghyun.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey.” She dropped her gaze from him. His eyes were on her, and she knew it too well.

His expression was filled with worry. “Are you--”

“I’m fine,” she said, still not meeting his eyes.

He checked her expression one more time, to make sure she really was all right. “I just--”

“Yo!” Doyeon came running to her, when she realized that Jonghyun was standing there. “Oh, oops. Were you guys talking?”

“It’s fine,” (Y/N) said quickly, before Jonghyun said anything, and took her best friend’s right arm. “Let’s go eat.”

Jonghyun watched the two of them leave, still concerned for her. Hopefully she wasn’t too hurt by the situation.

At math class, Miss Park turned to (Y/N). “What is the cotangent of -470?”

“Um...0?” (Y/N) offered, and was met by laughter from the entire class. Cheeks burning with embarrassment, she hid her face with her math textbook. She thought she heard Jonghyun’s voice in that laughter, and it broke her a little. Peeking at him from the book, she saw his face perfectly poised. He was too nice to laugh at her.

His eyes met hers once again, and she turned away.

Thankfully, math was the last class. She could go home and sleep to take away her troubles. Finally, she could look forward to something.

“(Y/N) and Kim Jonghyun, I need you to stay with me,” Miss Park said.

Great. Now even that hope was gone.

“I noticed that you were unable to concentrate and even offered the wrong answer in class. You’re normally one of our brightest students,” the teacher said to her. “I hope you’re not in this state of mind when you enter the entrance exam.”

“Yes, ma’am,” (Y/N) said weakly.

“So, since you and Jonghyun are our smartest kids, perhaps you can review with one another.”

Jonghyun gave her a sweet smile. “Should we begin?”

She glared at him, but nodded.

With a smile, he began to teach her. It was so hateful to admit it, but it was actually nice to have someone teach her for once, to actually be patient until she finally got an answer, and to cheer for her success. Jonghyun did precisely all of that.

“You know,” he said suddenly. “I voted for you.”

“I was the only other candidate,” she answered, but her heart was still beating faster.

“You can choose not to vote at all, which is what you did...I can tell by your face,” he said, laughing nervously and fidgeting with his pencil. “I wasn’t trying to get the position. I genuinely wanted you to win.”

“What do you mean?”

He met her eyes. “I’ve been voting for you since first grade. I’ve been always trying to let you win--every single time we meet each other in a new activity.”

“Wow...and still I lose against you.” She laughed bitterly. “That’s why I h--”

He waited for her to continue, but she stopped. “(Y/N), do you hate me?”

“I…”

“Why?” Hurt was written all over his face, and (Y/N) suddenly didn’t have any words to say. Why did she? Because he was better than her? Because she always felt like she was second place? Had that ever been his fault, though?

“Because...because I’m not good enough,” she said, as tears began to pour out from her eyes. “Because I’ll never be good enough. My parents always wanted me to be first, and were never satisfied with me unless I won something. I never hated you, I just hated myself for always being such a disappointment.”

“Oh, (Y/N).” As she sobbed, he stood up and patted her back, waiting until she had finished crying her heart out. “You’re not a failure. You are so beautiful and you deserve everything the world has to offer.”

“Thank you, Jonghyun.” Then she began to blush. Had he called her beautiful?

His cheeks reddened a little, too. Apparently, he had realized what he said. “I meant that you are a beautiful human being--”

“I get it,” she cut him off. “I know I’m not beautiful in that way.”

“Actually, you are beautiful ‘in that way,’” he said with a mischievous smile. “Beautiful enough for me to have a crush on you for twelve years now.”

“What?”

He shrugged. “Why else would I have voted for you each time?”  

She was silent.

“So...do you want to date?”

She pretended to sigh. “Fine, Class President. I’ll date you.”

“Thank you.”

She burst out laughing. “What a weird response.”

“What else am I supposed to say?”

“I don’t know…” she thought for a moment. “‘Here’s my number,’ or ‘Let’s meet tomorrow at the cafeteria’, or ‘I’m so lucky to have you’...”

“Okay. Here’s my number: 000-000-0000. Let’s meet tomorrow at the cafeteria. I’m so lucky to have you, and--” he took a deep breath. “I love you.”