Park Jihoon (1)--1st

Produce 101 season 2 imagines~

(Requested by @ImYoonI). 

Park Jihoon. 

The beautiful face of his had given him so much attention, but had also drawn out so much criticism.

They called him worthless, talentless, annoying, rude--and so many other names that were not worth hearing.

If only they could see him and talk to him in real life. Then they'd know, that Park Jihoon was more than just a pretty face and a high ranking. That he had actually practiced that viral wink of his for thousands of times. That he had made a lot of genuine friendships with the Produce 101 members, despite the fact that his two fellow trainees were not included anymore.

Even now, (Y/N) watched as he practiced alone on the dance floor, trying to get those popping movements just right.

"Oh, (Y/N)-teacher!" he exclaimed with a huge smile.

She thought about turning away, but knew that she was already caught by him. "Yes?"

"It's very late, teacher. Do you want me to walk you back to the dorms?" he asked kindly, his eyes full of concern as if he had been the teacher and she was the student.

"Sure." Her words came out before her mind could process them. This Park Jihoon boy had her wrapped around his finger. "I mean, er...I'll stay for a little while."

He nodded. "That's fine. I'm going to practice a little longer--if that's allowed. Is that okay?"

She remembered that the curfew was at midnight, and it was probably close that time. But somehow, she couldn't directly reject the desperation and determination in Jihoon's eyes. "Okay."

"Teacher, I love you!" he said with a beautiful smile, and (Y/N) felt butterflies in her stomach. No, more like a whirlwind--in the fluffiest way possible.

She forgot to answer him--or, she really didn't know how to. "How many days left until the performance again?"

"A little less than two days, teacher," he said. "Or, more like 46 hours."

"I see." 

Park Jihoon bowed and went back to practicing. 

"The elbow..." she said softly, pointing to her own left elbow. "A little more up."

"Ahh, thank you." He always answered with a smile and immediate acceptance of her advice. 

"You're welcome. Do you need anything?" 

"Umm, I have a question. (Y/N)-teacher, isn't hard to be a teacher when you're the same age as some of us trainees?" he asked, his eyes genuinely curious and not a single bit critical.

She nodded. In fact, she was only a year older than Jihoon and therefore the youngest teacher and dance trainer of the new Produce 101 season. She had debuted as a crew dancer at such a young age and had been recognized worldwide, making her an official dance teacher in spite of her still being in her teens. But the biggest factor had been a viral dance video where she had won against 1,000 other contestants.

"I know a lot of people say things online," he said. "And I hope you're not too affected by them."

So he had noticed. Lots of people were starting to say that her popularity, not talent, had gotten her the platform of being a trainer instead of a trainee. It was true that popularity had been a major factor, but it hurt that people were blind to her talents and hard work, and only pointed out her flaws. "I wish I wasn't so sensitive to their words, but it still hurts. But Jihoon, you also have more than your fair share of criticism, too!"

He shrugged. "Criticism is criticism. It's painful but I hope that one day, they will see beyond my appearance and instead at my effort."

She clapped, saying, "That's the right attitude to have, Jihoon. You're so mature beyond your years."

He laughed.

"Why are you laughing?"

"You're only a year older than me," he said.

So he knew, too. She wondered if he had researched it recently. 

"I have to admit, though, it's scary. Although I've been first place so many times, even I don't feel like I deserve it--so why should anyone else?" he said, almost to himself. "And the rankings are always so unpredictable--I can't even be sure that I'll debut, or that I'll have any fans when I do..."

She put a hand on his shoulder. "You always were the first place to me."

He turned to her, surprised.

She blushed. "I know, it sounds so cheesy. Just forget what I said."

"Teacher, you were the first person that I ever fell for," he said slowly. "And I know that my 'first' isn't the same with your 'first', but if you feel like your opinion might change..."

"Jihoon..." she began.

"If I can do anything to win your heart, I would choose it over winning first place," he finished.

She didn't want him to give up his dream for her. But dating--or even acknowledging each other's feelings--would probably lead to the outcome of more criticism and even Jihoon getting eliminated.

His eyes were pleading. "I'm only asking you to wait, teacher--no, (Y/N). I'm not asking for anything now. I just want to know if you could--one day--have me as the first place in your heart."

"Debut, then," she said finally. "Debut for me, even if it's not first place. You're already first place in my heart, so I'll wait for you."

Jihoon's eyes brightened. "I will."