Kim Taedong (1)--April Fools

Produce 101 season 2 imagines~

(Requested by @mayuve)

Taedong was a troublemaker. He was too hard to trust and too unpredictable to understand. Yet, (Y/N) had been his best friend since forever. Her still being alive was proof that he wasn't too bad. Still, she was also the best witness to his troublesome actions.

In group projects, he would always staple papers together right in the middle of the pages. He'd set alarms at random times during their hangouts, startling everyone around them and embarrassing her. He'd drum on every available surface, only type in uppercase, and chew on pencils that he borrowed from her. They always ended up fighting over his actions, steaming off, and then ending up being friends again.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" he yelled, throwing his arm around her.

"What is it this time?" she asked, pretending to be annoyed.

"Let's date." 

Time froze, and everything stopped. She stared at him, her jaw dropping. Her heart was beating faster as he leaned in closer to her, his lips almost brushing against her ear.

"What day is it today?" he laughed right into her ear. "April Fools!"

She checked her phone. April 1st. Wow. 

He laughed and ran. "Hurry up, we're gonna be late!"

She hated him. No, she didn't. But he definitely was annoying.

He passed her a note during class. 

Her eyes widened again, because it read: "I've been in love with you for so long. I'm sorry for the joke earlier--I really want you as my girlfriend."

She turned to him in surprise and he mouthed, "April Fools."

What an annoying little jerk. What an annoying, adorable little jerk.

Taedong didn't know what to do. He kept on covering up his feelings for her with jokes, because he was too scared by how (Y/N) might react to his true feelings. 

He was so occupied by his own thoughts that he didn't hide his phone while trying to text her. He erased and rewrote every word that he was trying to send to her...something along the lines of "I love you" and "Be with me" and "I wish we could be more than friends."

His thumb accidentally pressed a single letter: P. And once again, his silly fingers hit send.

Her phone vibrated and she read the text with a confused expression on her face, now turning to him.

"(Y/N) and Taedong, what is the meaning of this?" The teacher asked, snatching both phones. "You both: detention."

They groaned and complied, staying after school.

She glared at him all detention, and he avoided her gaze. Gosh, should he just confess? But would she even want to be with him? He was just a rebellious school boy with terrible grades and an annoying personality--would she see him as any different? 

"(Y/N)," he said.

"What." 

He took a deep breath. "Date me."

"Stop it!" She yelled, standing up so fast that she ended up knocking over her chair. "Stop playing with my feelings!"

He froze, not knowing what to say.

"You think it's funny to confess to me as a prank? Are my feelings a joke to you?" she demanded.

He shook his head. "(Y/N), I--"

"I like you, Kim Taedong." She clenched her hands into fists. "And I hate you for making my heart race for absolutely no reason."

He was still for a moment. Then he stood up, too, meeting her defiant eyes. "It wasn't a joke. It was never a joke."

"What? But you said--"

"It was a stupid way of covering up my feelings, of protecting myself in case you rejected me," he said honestly. "I know I'm annoying and that most people hate me, and you were always the one who cared for me. I didn't want to lose you either way--both as a girlfriend and as a best friend. So...will you date me?"

He put his hands on her shoulders. She put her hands on his, saying, "Fine." 

His eyes brightened. "Really? You mean it, right? Not April Fools?" 

"I'll kill you if you say 'April Fools' after this," she said.

He laughed and hugged her. "Never. I love you, (Y/N)."