Chapter XXXXIII

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXXXIII

 

**YERIN**

I glanced at myself in the mirror one more time, expecting to see something different, but nothing changed. The sadness was still there. There was no hiding it, so my only wish is for Taehyung to not notice.

 

I checked the time on the clock. I still have around five more minutes before Taehyung arrives sow with the remaining time, I examined myself again, this time, not minding the look on my face but rather, focusing on the way I dressed. I had on a simple flowy pink dress—its length falling just a little above my knees with most of my upper body covered by its long frilly sleeves and turtle neck design. I coupled it with heels along with a thin layer of makeup on my face and a shade of pink lipstick on my lips. My hair, which took me the most time to prepare, was set in a half-up, half-down do with the strands curled slightly at the ends.

 

“Pretty,” I tried to compliment myself, feeling worthy after spending hours on trying to make myself at least look presentable. There will be lots of well-known personalities later at Irene’s party. I, for most part, don’t want to be a laughing stock, going there looking like an ugly doll.

 

I forced a smile to my face and it ended up looking awkward that I had no choice but to forget it. There’s no reason for me to smile these days. I just lost my friends and I’m about to lose Taehyung too. If I smile, I’d end up being a masochist.

 

The front door opened, signaling Taehyung’s arrival and so I scrambled to grab my purse from the bed and make it all the way downstairs to greet him.

 

“Hey, I was…wow.”

 

Taehyung was staring so hard at me to the extent that I felt somewhat uncomfortable, thinking I may have looked funny.

 

I grudgingly walked over to him as he remained standing on the spot, not tearing his eyes away from me.

 

“Hi,” I said, not knowing what better thing to say. It’s been long since we last saw each other. Most of the times, we were just talking over the phone which I’m glad was the case. I wasn’t ready to face Taehyung then and even until now. I don’t want him to see me with red puffy eyes after all the crying I’ve done these past few days.

 

“Wow,” he repeated as he established eye contact.

 

My face heated up at his word and for a moment, I got my hopes up, but who was I trying to fool? The moment Taehyung realized his mistake of ogling at a girl other than Irene, he shook his head and cleared his throat, averting his gaze form mine.

 

“You look…old,” he said, his face away from mine which made it hard for me to see his expression, “Where did you get that dress? From your grandmother’s closet?”

 

I was supposed to be offended but instead, I felt happy knowing that despite Taehyung wanting to get back with Irene, nothing changed with his treatment toward me. He was still the same prick as ever when it comes to dealing with me.

 

“Ha-ha,” I sarcastically said, “I was going to tell you that you looked fine, but I guess I’m just going to return the favor and tell you how ugly you are in that suit.”

 

Clearly a lie. I mean I can’t fool anyone. Had I been not careful, I would have swooned after seeing Taehyung in such clothes. He was only sporting that typical suit and tie (which probably still cost a lot) yet there was something more captivating in the way he looked tonight. I thought about what it could be and when he reached to sweep his hair, that’s when I noticed it.

 

“You dyed your hair,” I stated, eyeing his mop of newly-dyed platinum blonde hair. It looked so silky that I had his urge to reach up and run my fingers through it, but of course, I didn’t. That would be weird and embarrassing.

 

“Ah, yeah. I wanted a change,” he said, feeling flustered when he shouldn’t be. The color suits him well.

 

He wanted to look good for Irene tonight.

 

“Is something wrong?”

 

I didn’t immediately notice the frown that unconsciously graced my lips as the disheartening thought crossed my mind. Taehyung saw but I acted like it didn’t happen. I tried to grin and hide the hurt, not wanting to give him a chance to pry deeper.

 

“It’s nothing. I just remembered the scene from the movie I watched last night. The protagonist died.”

 

He shrugged. “So, that’s why your eyes looked puffy.” He took a step closer to me and placed his hand over my hair, slightly ruffling it until I swatted it away.

 

“I worked hard on my hair. Don’t ruin it.”

 

He just laughed it off and went on ahead to the door. I rolled my eyes. What a gentleman…I wonder why I even liked him in the first place.

 

~~~~~

 

We made our way into the lobby and directly toward the area outside where the heart of the party is. Jazz music was playing in the background and the place was filled with that special ‘rich people’ aura. Everywhere I looked, people were clad in high-end suits and dresses. Some women even had those expensive purses in their hands which my twenty-dollar one could never compare.

 

“Are the others coming?” I asked even though I know the answer, still I wanted to get my hopes up.

 

“No. SinB even said she would rather jump off a cliff than be found here.”

 

“That’s not surprising,” I commented. Knowing the group, they loathe Irene too much to even bother dressing up for an occasion that’s meant for her.

 

“That’s not a problem though. Just stay by my side and don’t wander off too much. You’ll be fine.”

 

As he said that, his eyes were also telling me something which my mind rejected at the instance. His heart is still with Irene so there’s no reason for him to care that much about me yet alone look like he honestly has something going on for me.

 

“I know that. It’s just—”

 

“You made it!”

 

We both turned our heads to the direction of the voice and saw Irene approaching us. She was in this majestic red gown that hugged her slim figure and her hair was neatly held up into a bun with some strands hanging loose to frame her face. She looked ethereal, so it wasn’t a wonder how Taehyung looks to be in awe by also looking at her.

 

I internally frowned. Seeing him this way, I asked myself. Did he ever look at me with the same love-filled eyes? How I wish…

 

I stepped up to greet Irene as she opened her arms for a hug but even before I could reach her, she went over to Taehyung and gave him the embrace. I backed away, feeling embarrassed.

 

“I thought you couldn’t make it this early after you texted me about your hairdresser appointment.”

 

Wow, he even told her about his plans of dyeing his hair.

 

“It didn’t take as long as I expected it to be,” he said as he played with a few strands of his hair to show it off to Irene.

 

“You look good in that color,” she told him and had it not been for the lack of lighting, I would have seen the blush on his cheeks as she complimented him. He looks so happy being with her that it makes me want to secretly leave and give them their private moment.

 

“Thanks. By the way, Yerin’s here with me.”

 

I suddenly looked up and saw Irene already looking at me with the same wide smile. How can I even hate her for taking Taehyung from me when she’s this loveable?

 

“Hi. Welcome! I’m sorry I didn’t notice you right away.”

 

“It’s okay,” I said, “You must have been excited to see Taehyung here. I mean you guys haven’t seen each other for so long. I’m sure you need some catching up to do.”

 

“Exactly. Do you mind if I borrow him for a while? Some of our old friends are here. They want to see him.”

 

Taehyung looked at me with a questioning look, but I simply smiled at him and nodded at Irene. “Sure. Go ahead.”

 

“Thanks, Yerin-ssi,” she said and held Taehyung’s hand. I looked away, not wanting to hurt myself more.

 

~~~~~

I took a seat at a bench near the buffet table. I was supposed to eat to pass time but thinking of Taehyung and Irene together made me lose my appetite. Even the cake slices that would have normally made me drool didn’t look appetizing.

 

A sigh escaped my lips and I reached down to massage my ankles that were aching from the height of the heels that I’m wearing.

 

“I really shouldn’t have come here. What am I even doing with my life?”

 

I watched as the people mingled with each other with glasses of wine in their hands. They looked so comfortable being here that it made me feel more out of place. A commoner like me doesn’t belong to parties like this. I’m not worthy of being in their presence and had it not been for Taehyung, I wouldn’t even have the money to buy myself this dress which still could not compete with the ones worn by the ladies here.

 

“I really do think we’re fated.”

 

I flinched at the sound of a familiar voice whispering near my ear all of a sudden.

 

“Rowoon?”

 

“Hi,” he said as he circled to join me on the bench, “I wasn’t expecting to see you here.”

 

“I could say the same. You know Irene?”

 

“My parents are one of the top shareholders in their company,” he simply stated as if it was the most ordinary thing to say. I don’t get how rich people refer to their wealth like everyone is just like them. Is it ignorance or are they aware of such thing but just wants to rub it in other’s faces?

 

“Oh.”

 

“Anyway, why are you alone out here? Where’s your overprotective boyfriend?”

 

I frowned. “He’s with Irene and some of their friends.”

 

He clicked his tongue. “Well that . Your boyfriend with his ex…”

 

I didn’t answer as I don’t want to say things I might regret later. Instead, I bowed my head and started playing with the ruffles on my dress.

 

“Are you okay with it?” Rowoon asked. He probably is just concerned but right now, I really don’t want to talk about it but also, staying silent is quite rude especially when he’s trying his best to start a conversation. He even gave up his time to accompany me and not make me look like an outcast.

 

“I don’t see why I shouldn’t be okay,” I said, “They’re just talking. Plus, they’re not alone. Their friends are with them.”

 

I looked up to gaze at the direction where Taehyung is. He was busy talking to a few guys with Irene closely standing at his side, also engaging herself in the conversation. They appear to be so comfortable that it made my heart clench more. I could never make Taehyung as happy as how he is whenever Irene is around. They’re puzzle pieces made to fit together while I’m that odd one that doesn’t even belong to the entire picture.

 

“It looks to me like the spark’s rekindling between them,” Rowoon said as he too focused his gaze on Taehyung and Irene. “If I were you, I’d feel threatened.”

 

Rude or not, I don’t think I can further reply to what Rowoon is saying because as much as I deny it, he’s right and opening my mouth wouldn’t change a thing. No matter if I insist on the contrary, the fact that Taehyung wants a second shot at his relationship with Irene remains.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to—”

 

“It’s okay. You were only voicing out your opinion.”

 

I weakly smiled at him, but I never expected him to respond by holding my hands in his. I wanted to pull away as I feel like I’m betraying Taehyung, but the warmth of his touch was just too comforting. It feels good to have someone to comfort me this way after most of the people on my side left me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter