Chapter XXXV

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXXV

**YUNA**

“For real?” I asked with wide eyes.

“For real,” Jungkook affirmed.

I blinked and stared at the ride in front of us. I could still not believe he took my words by heart. I never imagined him to actually rent a white horse for us to ride on.

“You have got to be kidding me,” I mumbled after heaving a sigh. What I said was meant to be a joke. It wasn’t meant to be made into reality but who knew? My boyfriend here just took it way too seriously.

“I’m not. You said you wanted us to ride on a white horse, right? Well, here it is. Just as you wish.”

There was an evident glint in his eyes which made me wonder if he’s being serious or he’s really just making fun of me. I mean a horse?! Really? He wants us to trek the mountains on a horse? We’re not in the Joseon era for goodness’ sake!

“You are such an idiot. Has anyone ever told you that?”

“You just did,” he replied, his grin growing wider by the minute, “Admit it though. This idiot’s idea made you happy.”

I rolled my eyes. He is partly right. I do feel kind of flattered after seeing how much effort he put into getting us a white horse just because I asked for it. What I’m only concerned about is that I have not much experience on being on a horse. The only time I remember riding one was way back in grade school when I went on a mountain trip with my parents. It wasn’t even a full-grown horse. The ride I had was on the back of a pony, a little one about the size of an adult St. Bernard.

“I don’t know how to ride a horse,” I told him honestly. I don’t care if he laughs at how lame my excuse is but I’m better off feeling ashamed than seeing myself injured after having fallen off from a horse. That would be such a funny reason for a broken arm.

Jungkook’s mocking grin disappeared and was replaced by the smile he often gives me, the sweet and encouraging one, “Who says I’m letting you fall?”

“What if we both fall then?”

He laughed at my question and shook his head, “I’ve tried horseback riding upon my mom’s request, Yuna. I’ve done it for months. Don’t you have faith in my skills?”

“Honestly? I have none,” I teased which earned me a pinch on the nose, “Besides, you took the lessons three years ago. That’s enough time for you to forget everything you’ve learned.”

He puffed his chest and tapped it with his fist, “This golden boy doesn’t forget.”

“Says the one who left his set of underwear back at home for this trip,” I said sarcastically while rolling my eyes.

Jungkook flushed deep red at the mention of our little secret. “We do no talk of that,” he said, trying to sound stoic but the sparkle in his eyes hints how he’s on the verge of laughing. Who wouldn’t though? Out of all the embarrassing things Jungkook has done, him forgetting to bring underwear for a weekend trip definitely makes it to the top of the list.

I raised a brow and challenged him, “I don’t see the reason why I shouldn’t talk about it.”

“One more word from you about my forgotten underwear and I swear you’ll regret it.”

A smirk tugged at my lips. The worst Jungkook could do as punishment is by tickling and I’m not even that affected. Sometimes, he peppers me with kisses, saying they’re meant to be my payment for whenever I make fun of him. I don’t even see where’s the agony in that? I actually think it’s more of a prize than a punishment.

“You don’t scare me, Jeon,” I said, finally hoisting myself up the horse confidently as if I’ve been riding one since forever. I don’t even know where to grab hold on to.

It was Jungkook’s turn to arch his brow, “We’ll see about that.”

In one solid motion, Jungkook followed me atop the horse, sitting so that he was in front and that I was facing his broad back. It’s been a while since we’ve been close like this ever since Jungkook’s father got rid of his motorcycle after that motorcycle accident that took place a few years back.

“Hold tight,” he said as he grabbed both my hands and encircled it around his waist. He really doesn’t have to tell me. Even if we’re going at a pace that could match that of a snail, I’d still hug him from behind. I am secretly a er for my boyfriend after all. Besides, he also doesn’t mind my random clinginess. In fact, I think he even loves it when I act all possessive of him.

“Let’s go, Prince Charming,” I whispered near his ear and he chuckled. I rarely like this ever since I began developing this anxious state of mind. I’m sure Jungkook noticed the changes in me one way or another but he’s probably just waiting for me to actually admit it personally. It’s hard coming to terms with my problem and even telling it straight to him but after knowing how blessed I am to have someone like Jungkook, someone so committed and passionate with what we have, I think I just might give myself a chance and talk to him about all these unwanted thoughts in my head that are poisoning me little by little every day.

Eunha set aside her feelings so that Jungkook’s relationship with me would last. I can’t let my best friend’s sacrifice be in vain which brings back to my mind that I also need to talk to her once we get back. She probably needs someone to be there for her right now. I know I’m not a pro at giving advice and I’m not much when it comes to saying things for comfort, but I think I’m the best one she’s got. It wouldn’t hurt if I give it a shot…I hope.

**YERIN**

“Your hairstyle suits you,” Taehyung blurted out of the blue as he grabbed a few strands of my hair. I smiled. It’s rare to hear a compliment from him. Oftentimes, he’ll only say good things to me when there’s in it for him like he needs a favor or he’s being out of his mind and he wants to see whatever weird reaction I could give him.

“Thanks,” I mumbled, low enough for him to hear. I tilted my face sideward to avert his gaze as I felt my face heating up. The way his eyes were staring intently at me makes me uncomfortable…in a good way. Since when have I ever been this conscious being with a guy, let alone accepting compliments?

“It’s called PIGtails, right?” he asked and it’s quite noticeable how he emphasized the word ‘pig.’

I thinned my lips and, in an instance, the giddiness inside of me disappeared. What do I expect?

I slowly looked back at Taehyung with an unamused look and I could see that he was trying hard to hold in his laughter. Nice one…It was very funny. HA.HA.HA. (Note the sarcasm.)

“Get it? PIGtails? You. Pig! Hahaha!” It was only a second after I stared at him when he finally erupted, letting out all the soul in him as he leaned back in a fit of laughter.

“Why do I even bother taking your words seriously? All you do is make fun of me,” I said, more to myself than to him. I wasn’t expecting a reply, but it seems as though he heard it well because he gradually calmed himself down, wiping away the few tears that formed from the corner of his eyes.

He was still giggling when he answered, “You should be honored though. I don’t act like this in front of the others. At least, not anymore.”

Okay, are we switching to the emo Taehyung now? Because if we are, can I get a pass even just for now? Today is supposed to be a breather from all of Taehyung’s drama. The last thing I need is for our conversation to get serious again. I mean last night’s talk drained the life out of me. I’ve never been into Science and yet there I was talking about stars and blackholes and whatnot. Damn, Taehyung seems to be making me weirder than I already am.

“Anyway, Jin-hyung seems to be grilling meat now. I’m hungry. I think the sea has had enough of us. Let’s go,” he said, completely changing the topic. Did he notice my shift in demeanor? Or did he not simply want to deal with his life’s today like I do? Whatever it is, at least it got both of us out of the path to once again being all emotional and philosophical. Even just for one day, I want to be with Taehyung as if we’re normal…as if he never had his awful past love and I’m not his pretend girlfriend/fiancée. For today, can we have fun together as friends? Would that be possible?

Taehyung extended out his hand for me to hold after he finished dusting himself off of the sand that stuck to his clothes. I stared at it for a second, blinking…waiting for an answer to the question I didn’t even say out loud.

“What are you waiting for? Our fun awaits,” he said. My eyes went wide but I quickly hid it with a nod. It seems like Taehyung just read my mind. Well, it’s either that or we were simply just thinking the same thing. I guess after all these moments of opening up to me about his hurting, he also wants to take a break from himself.

I smiled and reached out for his hand, accepting it and letting his warmth spread to mine, “You’re right. Let’s have fun,” I said but continued in my head, “Just for today…”

*****

“Where are the two lovebirds?” Jin-oppa asked and it was only then that we noticed that two were missing from the group. Jungkook and Yuna were nowhere to be found.

“They ran off, I guess,” Sowon-unnie answered as she handed over empty paper plates for each of us. We were gathered in a long table with food cooked by Jin- and Yoongi-oppa. None of us got the time to eat breakfast as almost everyone was eager to just get out of the house and run to the beach so an early lunch (or brunch) was our only option. It’s a good thing the two eldest in the group had the initiative to start grilling meat minutes after arriving.

“Should we wait for them?” SinB questioned despite the fact that her eyes are already glued to the food in front of her.

“To those who want to wait for them, raise your hand!” Jimin yelled, lifting his arm. A second passed but no one dared to do the same. I wanted to, but I don’t think my stomach could wait any longer especially with all the delicious meat an arm’s length away and judging by the way everyone seems to have reacted, I could say we’re all thinking the same thing.

“They could manage,” Hoseok-oppa said with a shrug before being the first one to dig his chopsticks into the plate of grilled beef, “They probably won’t even return until tonight. Only Heaven knows where those two went off to.”

“Exactly,” Jimin automatically replied as he, too, made himself a wrap. These people really…they aren’t even a bit guilty about eating without Jungkook and Yuna, but I guess this is what you call real friendship⸺ being true to what they really want. Besides, I think they do have a point. The two probably wanted time to themselves (as if what they had back in Seoul was not enough).

“I left my phone back at the car. Is no one else even going to bother to contact them though?” Namjoon-oppa asked but everyone was already busy shoving meat after meat into their mouth that his question was left hanging in the air. I, too, was in the process of making myself a wrap but I felt bad for him, so I put down my chopsticks and grabbed my phone from my pocket.

“I’ll send a text to Yuna to ask her where they are and if they’ve already eaten,” I said, earning an approving nod from him to which I received with a smile.

“Thank you for being the only person in this group to be reasonable enough. I mean the rest are really just acting like children out on a field trip.”

“That’s what happens on an empty stomach,” I tried to joke but I’m pretty sure that wasn’t enough because the chuckle he gave me was obviously a forced one. I can’t blame him though. Even I know how lame my attempt at humor was.

“Here,” Taehyung suddenly interrupted. I turned to my side, where he was seated, and saw that he finished the wrap I set aside.

With Namjoon-oppa forgotten, I found myself blinking and questioning on whether to accept Taehyung’s offer by eating it directly from his chopsticks or to receive it with mine. The latter might ruin his wrap though but it’s the most normal thing to do, right? If I were to follow the former, I’d probably look too clingy to him. Plus, it’s disgusting⸺ sharing chopsticks, that is.

“Thank y⸺ oompf!”

“My arms were already getting cramped,” he said, looking away as if he did not just feed me the wrap that he made.

I glared at him as I chewed with my mouth full of beef. He really did not go skimpy with the meat. He was probably reminded of how much of a big eater I am.

After swallowing everything, I cleared my throat and hit him lightly on his shoulder, “I could have choked, you know.”

“But you didn’t,” he said, offering another wrap, “Here. I’ll be careful this time.”

I pouted, “I’m not a baby. You don’t need to feed me.”

“I know but I want to feed you. Now, open up.”

“I’m not⸺ aack!”

His eyes twinkled with mischief as he smirked with a matching raise of his left brow, “Not what?”

This arrogant brat…

I stared daggers while chomping the food he forced inside me mouth for the second time around. In my mind, he’s the one I’m eating…

….

Okay, don’t get me wrong. I’m not talking about the dirty meaning behind the word ‘eating.’ What I’m trying to say is that I’d very much like gnawing Taehyung until there’s nothing left of him. That may sound a bit gruesome but what can I say? Watching a series of torture movies got me inspired.

“Hey, guys!” SinB’s voice boomed across the table, gaining her the attention of everyone, Taehyung and I included, “I just saw this flyer stuck to a nearby post and guess what?”

“Just spill the beans and go straight to the point, Eunbi,” Jimin said. He really does like getting on her nerves, probably as payback for her doing the same most of the time when the group gets together.

“Shut up, Park Jimin.”

“Yah! That’s oppa for you!”

SinB stuck her tongue out at the blond-haired guy in front of her before she tilted her entire frame to the side to face us instead., “As I was saying, I just saw this flyer and it’s advertising a famous fortune teller that lives nearby. Isn’t that cool?”

“She’s definitely just an old lady who happened to acquire a crystal ball that glows off from eBay,” Jimin teased further but SinB wasn’t even listening to anything he said which was quite funny especially when he even leaned forward to poke on her, only to be ignored.

“I already had my fortune told by a cookie two days ago,” Hoseok-oppa informed us but it’s evident in his face that he’s still thrilled at the possibility of having his future predicted by some well-known psychic.

“Me too. Hoseok and I went to eat at this Chinese restaurant who gave free fortune cookie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter