Chapter XXXX

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXXX

 

**YERIN**

“This is all I’ve got.”

 

I peeled my eyes away from the cookbook to look at Irene. A pink frilly apron with flowery designs is in her hand. It matches that of the purple one she had wrapped around her tiny frame.

 

“Some of my things are still packed somewhere in the attic. These cutesy aprons are all that I could find for now.”

 

I cracked a smile, “Don’t sweat too much about it,” I said as I received the piece of clothing, “Besides, I also have a bit of a liking for the color pink.”

 

Irene’s face lit up which made her face glow even more. There’s no denying that this kind of emotion—the happy one—fits her so well. I don’t even want to imagine how she must have been years before when she was forced by her family to move miles away from her home here in Seoul. Yuna and the others may have grown a hatred for her but meeting her in person, I really can’t help but open my mind. What if Irene’s just as a victim in this cruel fate as Taehyung is? There’s still a chance that maybe things could work out among everyone. No one has to hate anyone at all. Maybe…just maybe…things could go back to the way it was before.

 

Do I want it though?

 

“Yerin-ssi, are you okay?”

 

I paused the thought and pushed it in a little corner of my mind for my brooding time before I go to bed tonight. Right now, it is not the moment to think things through concerning Taehyung and how to help him. I’m here to keep Irene company and hopefully, bake treats for Taehyung. That’s all I should keep in mind for now.

 

“It’s nothing. I just remembered something.”

 

Irene didn’t look convinced. Even when I smiled and pretended to busy myself with flipping through the cookbook, I could still feel her gaze lingering on me. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not the odd kind of look that she’s giving me. It’s more of a concerned one, akin to what my mom would usually give me.

 

Despite her looking at me that way, I managed to fake a small smile, “So, where do we start?”

 

**TAEHYUNG**

I placed the letter back down to where it had been before and looked cautiously around in case Yerin had been in the house all this time. Once I secured that I’m alone, I aimed my eyes back at the letter.

 

I know for sure my eyes have not deceived me and Yerin would never go as far as to make this invitation letter as part of some sick joke to get back at me for ignoring her. Irene is definitely back here in Seoul.

 

It took minutes before I properly gained my senses back and when I did, I got the idea to confirm everything. I fished my phone out of my pocket and hurriedly clicked on the search engine.

 

“Bae Irene,” I murmured as I typed. It didn’t take a second for the screen to load and I didn’t even have to scroll through because right at the top of the screen is a news article of Irene’s arrival. It was dated a few days ago, specifically last weekend…the day of our trip to Gangneun.

 

I snickered. I may seem like an idiot at times, that I have to admit, but it definitely doesn’t need much from me to put the puzzle pieces together…the sudden trip, the effort to take me away from Seoul, Yerin’s acts of keeping me distracted. I’m positive the group has already informed Yerin of all the things she needed to know about my past and they’re trying to use her against me.

 

“Very clever, guys,” I said, staring back at the headlines of the online article, “Unfortunately, I think your efforts have just gone to waste.”

 

**YERIN**

I sighed when I saw my cookies come out of the oven looking like they’re meant to be served in hell. They’re fully burnt. I’m sure I timed the baking process correctly. Ten to twelve minutes is all it said in the recipe, so I opted to place the cookies inside for a good eleven minutes. I just don’t understand why I still got the same results as before.

 

“I was certain I’ll perfect it this time,” I said in dejection, staring at a batch of failed cookies. No amount of scraping off the burnt parts is ever going to save them.

 

Irene approached and peeked over my shoulder to check out my results. I wanted so bad to hide them from her especially after she pulled out her cookies in the other oven and they came out looking like the ones made in those late-night baking shows.

 

“How hot was your oven?” she asked, getting the tray from my hands to look at the cookies closer. She really doesn’t have to do that. Even I can tell how much of a failure they are even with my eyes closed. The smell it has from being burnt is too strong.

 

“350 degrees. That’s what it said in the recipe.”

 

“You do know this oven operates in Celsius, right?”

 

“Celsius?”

 

“Celsius,” she repeated, placing the tray down on the counter, “The recipe stated the heat in Fahrenheit. That means you need to convert it, so you should have preheated the oven to a hundred and eighty instead.”

 

EH?!

 

My eyes went wide. Was that my mistake all along?! Just because I’m too dumb to notice how high 350 in Celsius is?!

 

Irene gently patted my back as I began to mentally breakdown and lose all confidence. I can’t believe I was this stupid. I mean even elementary kids would know better than to bake at 350 degrees Celsius.

 

“I should quit baking. I’m not fit for it,” I said, shaking my head with a blank and downcast look, “I am not worthy to be working with an oven.”

 

Irene playfully laughed and guided me to sit on the nearest chair. She grabbed both my hands which forced me to look up to her. I would have covered my eyes had I have my hands free. Her beauty is too dazzling.

 

“Don’t feel down. Failing is all part of being a great baker. I also failed multiple times before, but I didn’t let my bad results stop me. Now, how about we mix up another batch?”

 

A smile slowly grazed my lips. I don’t deserve such an angel like her. It’s like the more we spend time together, the harder it is for me to fathom how selfish she is as the others portray her to be. I feel like this is all a silly game of tug-of-war in which the only difference is that there’s no rope. There’s just me, stuck in between.

 

**TAEHYUNG**

The phone rang twice before the person I’m calling picked up from the other line.

 

“Sir?”

 

“Seungwon, are you with Yerin right now?”

 

“No, sir. She told me that she doesn’t need a ride home because she’ll be coming over to a friend’s house but…”

 

“But what?”

 

“I followed her, as you instructed, and apparently, her friend…” Seungwon said, his voice getting lower with every word, “is Ms. Irene.”

 

I stiffened in my seat and I heard Seungwon call out to me a few times before I shook away the odd feeling in my stomach. “Okay. Thank you for your hard work, Seungwon.”

 

“You’re welcome, sir.”

 

With that, I ended the call and slowly brought down my phone to my lap while my eyes stared blankly ahead.

 

Minutes passed but I remained seated. It was only when my phone beeped with a message from my mom that I snapped out of my daze and stood up. I have no business left here. Everything I have in plan starts tomorrow when I see Yerin again.

 

I threw one last gaze at the invitation letter and my eyes softened. Irene is here. She came back. And then it hit me. Am I still the same Taehyung though? Am I still that boy who couldn’t imagine a future without her or have I changed? I should be happy that Irene is now here in Seoul. I should have rushed to meet her but somehow, I don’t feel the need to which is odd since I did say I miss her just a few days ago, after Yerin and I shared the kiss and I became all emotional.

 

“I don’t even understand myself anymore.”

 

**YERIN**

I bowed at Irene’s driver after he took me back to my apartment. It was already past ten in the evening. Irene insisted on driving for me herself, but I declined. She was already generous enough to invite me in her home. I didn’t want to trouble her at such a late time. I told her I could take the bus, but she called her driver instead. The poor guy just got awoken from his sleep. He was yawning nonstop as he was driving. I even got scared that he’ll fall asleep on the wheels. Fortunately, we made it to my place in one piece.

 

“Take care on your way back, driver-nim,” I said, waving a hand in goodbye. The tired-looking man smiled weakly before he got back inside the car and drove away.

 

I watched the vehicle until it disappeared down the road and then I turned to head inside, bags of cookies and brownies in my hand.

 

I smiled as I remembered the perfect baked goodies I packed back at Irene’s house which I now have with me. The cookies were no longer burnt, and they were of the right texture and taste. The brownies, fudgy just like how Irene said Taehyung wanted them to be, looked similar to those sold at mall stands that I often stop by for any chances of getting a free taste. I can’t say I nailed everything but I’m proud of myself for actually making my treats look edible. I’m already getting excited on seeing Taehyung’s reaction when he pops one into his mouth and all my efforts bursts through the sweet taste that tickles his tongue. Of course, I still have to approach him and hope to spark up a conversation but that’s the least of my concern. I’m a hundred percent sure I can catch him off-guard tomorrow and convince him to eat the baked good I made just for him. And once he tastes them, he won’t even have a choice but to apologize for ignoring me.

 

“Yerin, you are such a genius.”

 

~~~~~

I stepped out of my bathroom and heard the door open downstairs. My heart almost leapt in joy. Only one person is rude enough to come in unannounced.

 

I beamed and hurriedly put on my school uniform. I then rushed to retrieve my bag and busted through the door. I didn’t run because I didn’t want my excitement to show but I also wasn’t just walking either. I reached the bottom of the stairs within seconds and it left me panting a little.

 

“Relax, it’s just me.”

 

That’s why I can’t relax because it’s you.

 

I breathed deeply to catch my breath before I slowly made my way toward Taehyung. He was now sitting on the couch, eyeing me.

 

“Why are you here?” I asked, trying to sound uninterested in his presence. I just hope my face doesn’t look too thrilled though, “Weren’t you in the process of ignoring me? Besides, you should have waited to stop ignoring me after I let you taste my baked goods. Now, they won’t feel special anymore.”

 

I pouted but Taehyung merely looked up at me and blinked right before a small sly smile made its way to his lips.

 

“They’re not burnt this time, are they?”

 

I puffed my chest and hit it with my fist. “Ha! Just wait until you see and taste them,” I proudly said, “Wait here. I’ll go get them.”

 

I ran to the kitchen and got out the brownies resting in the fridge and the cookies I placed in a jar on the countertop. I was too much in a hurry that I almost tripped had I not grabbed hold of the doorframe for support. What’s unfortunate though is that Taehyung saw my little accident and he had the nerve to laugh at me.

 

I was glaring at him to stop but he kept on making fun of me until I decided to let him be. Being laughed at is better than being ignored…way better.

 

“Oh, they actually look like what they’re supposed to be,” he commented, looking down on the container I held out in front of him.

 

My face flickered with glee and my grin grew bigger and bigger the closer the brownie got to Taehyung’s mouth as he picked one up to taste.

 

He was quiet after taking the bite. I held my breath as I recalled every process I did in baking them. I tried to remember how much sugar I used, if I added pinch of salt, or if my baking time was right to get the right fudgy consistency. I know the brownie turned out alright as I ate one last night but still, I couldn’t help but feel conscious now that I’m seeing Taehyung taste it.

 

**TAEHYUNG**

 A surge of familiarity hit me the moment I made the bite. Yes, Yerin made it but it’s no doubt Irene’s recipe. She always has this special taste in her brownies that pastry shops and other bakers could never compare, and it managed to become of my favorites from her wide range of baked goods. Hence, I could never forget this feeling of eating one.

 

I snapped my chin up at Yerin. She was silently eyeing me, waiting for anything I have to say. I feel like asking her about Irene and why she bothered to share her recipe with Yerin knowing I’ll probably taste it, but I let the thought go. Instead, I faked my reaction and gave a thumbs-up.

 

“It’s delicious,” I said, taking another bite, “Where did you get the recipe?”

 

I know the answer. I just wanted to see how she’ll react and by the way her face flashed with panic for a brief second, I could tell what I’m about to get is nothing but a lie.

 

“Internet.”

 

An absolute lie…

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter