Chapter XXVII

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXVII

**YUNA**

“Three days isn’t long. We can’t possibly come up with a plan to prevent Taehyung-hyung from losing it,” Jungkook stated and Eunha and I both nodded in agreement to that. He’s right after all. Thinking of a way to avoid Taehyung-oppa from breaking down at the news of his ex-girlfriend returning to the country within three days is difficult if not impossible especially after seeing him still react so negatively at the mention of her yesterday.

“I knew this was coming. I just didn’t think it would be so soon,” I said. That wasn’t a lie though. Ever since she left South Korea a few years ago, I predicted she’d come back but I was expecting it to be when Taehyung-oppa finally moved on. I guess I miscalculated things.

“What do we do?” Eunha asked in a desperate tone before she continued while looking down to fidget with her fingers, a habit she got from me during tense moments. “I don’t want to see Taehyung-oppa so hurt again. He doesn’t deserve this.”

“You’re right. He doesn’t but I don’t think we really can do anything about it. I mean we could hide her from him, but it won’t be long before he finds out the truth and that would probably make him more hurt knowing we knew but kept it from him. The best option we have now is to tell him as soon as possible. The more time he has to prepare himself, the better.”

Eunha stayed silent. She maybe analyzing if what I said is indeed the best shot we have. Jungkook, on the other hand, nodded immediately before he timidly raised his hand. We both turned to him and he voiced out what I think is something Eunha and I completely forgot- our hope.

“I say we tell Yerin-noona everything first.”

**YERIN**

“You’re planning on doing your groceries today, right?” Taehyung asked as soon as he finished parking the car. I was caught up with daydreaming again that I haven’t realized that we were already here at the supermarket that was nearest to my apartment, the fairly huge store that loves to offer various bundles of random things on sale. Hence, I usually stop by here when I can to see if something is worth the price.

I gave Taehyung a nod and quite surprisingly, he bent over and unbuckled my seatbelt for me. I could have done it myself in case he’s unaware of that. I’m not that stupid to not know how to remove a seatbelt but I decided to let this one go. He may have done it for a purpose other than mocking me.

“Just deduct today’s expenses from my first paycheck. I’ll be receiving it this weekend, right?”

Taehyung looked at me with a blank look and it kind of amazed me how he shifted his mood so easily like that. I can’t even think of what I could have said wrong.

“You’re honestly telling me that?” he said with the same expression. My face scrunched as I thought of reasons why I shouldn’t have said what I said. I was just telling him to deduct my grocery expenses from my pay since I don’t have money with me as of the moment. What’s wrong with that? It’s just me stating the obvious.

When he must have realized I wasn’t getting him, which I do most of the time, he rolled his eyes and heaved a sigh like he was dealing with an ignorant child who doesn’t know the difference between left and right. For some reason, this alien is really good at making me feel stupid for a moment.

“Can’t you see? This is all on me. I asked you out today, so all the expenses will be on me. What’s so difficult in getting that part?”

Taehyung voice was definitely exasperated but I wasn’t focusing on that at all. Rather, I think my mind stopped comprehending at the middle of his statement.

‘I asked you out today.’ He really said that. Does it mean we’re on a date this whole time? Did I just experience my real first date? If so, why am I even feeling happy about it considering it’s Taehyung whom I’m with?

“Oy, woman. Stop staring at the air grinning like that. You’re creeping me out. Sheesh.”

Taehyung’s snap pulled me out of my thoughts and when I looked back at him, he already had his back to me as he made his way inside the supermarket with both his hands carefully tucked in the pocket of his jeans.

However, I didn’t find myself getting annoyed at being left alone once more because in my mind, the thought of going on a date with Taehyung still lingered and I don’t think I’ve never felt this thrilled before, not with Taehyung being the reason for my sudden excitement. Maybe I don’t really hate this alien as much as I thought I do.

~~~~~

“That would be 67,000 won in total, sir,” the cashier informed Taehyung who swiftly handed over his card.

“I really don’t think I should get all these for free. I think paying half seems more reasonable. At least, let me do that instead,” I said as I eyed the bags of groceries with shame. 67,000 is not taken lightly when it comes to me. That obviously is such a large amount. I just can’t afford to let Taehyung shoulder everything. I do have a conscience in case he’s unaware of it.

“Stop being so persistent. I told you already. Everything’s on me,” Taehyung replied with the same annoyed tone. I have been bugging him with the same thing throughout our time here in the supermarket. I mean I can’t help myself. He’s literally spending so much money on me who isn’t even that important to him besides the fact that he hired me to act as his fiancée. He’s even willing to pay me full this weekend when, if you really calculate all that he’s spent on me, one paycheck won’t probably suffice. Heck, just by adding the money he spent on all those shoes and clothes this morning, I’d probably be in debt to him for more than a year.

I noticed the cashier glance at us with a cheeky smile. She must think we’re a couple. Honestly, why do girls nowadays are so keen on the idea of romantic relationships? I don’t see what’s so good with being committed at such a young age to someone who you probably won’t end up marrying.

“I just don’t want to owe you so much,” I mumbled and I’m certain Taehyung heard me, but he decided to let it slip past his ear. Instead, he grabbed two of the bags, leaving one for me to carry, and it’s even the lightest one. Something is definitely wrong with him today. He’s being too kind and it’s creeping me out. Taehyung plus kind? That would definitely yield an error.

“Did you hit your head or something?” I asked when I managed to catch up with him as we tread along the supermarket’s almost empty parking lot.

Taehyung slowed down his pace and turned to me with a brow raised. He now went back to his usual Taehyung attitude which means he’s now the annoying and teasing alien I’d love to punch in the face some of these days.

“Why? Because I’m being kind? Shouldn’t you also call me Prince Charming now?”

Okay, when will he stop bringing that up?

I frowned and that made his laughter come out. He really loves to see me getting irritated at him, doesn’t he? He could be perfect as a sadist if he wants to.

“That’s not funny anymore,” I said as soon as we reached his car. I helped him in loading the groceries to the backseat of the car and it was only when we finished and settled ourselves inside the vehicle when he spoke.

“And you breaking our agreement’s first rule is also not funny.”

There was seriousness in his tone and I wasn’t quite sure if he’s still in his usual Taehyung attitude because something in the way he said that statement tells me he isn’t. Besides, first rule…what was it again?

I don’t know if Taehyung could really read minds, but he just read mine for probably the second time now.

“First rule. You are not allowed to flirt or go near any boy inside and outside school,” he said while never bothering to look at me. He just kept his eyes straight ahead as he started driving us out of the parking lot. I, on the other hand, felt like the ground just collapsed under my feet.

How could I forget about that? Well, it’s not like I’m flirting with Rowoon. We were just exchanging texts every now and then. There’s nothing wrong with that, right?

I glanced at Taehyung and immediately my mind pictured a massive ‘WRONG’ as I realized how faulty it was of me to hide from Taehyung the fact that I have been interacting with a boy which is definitely against our agreement. Now that I think about it, I feel so bad. Taehyung decided not to mind the breach I committed, and he even went to the extent of paying for my groceries. Never have I ever felt like such a cheat before.

“Sorry,” I whispered, loud enough for Taehyung to hear. He didn’t reply, nor did he give off any gesture and I felt a knot twist in my stomach, seeing how he’s ignoring me. I don’t even know what else I should do for him to accept my apology. I mean I really did forget about the first rule. I guess I got too caught up over the fact that Rowoon was so kind and gentlemanly to me that I set aside the thought of the agreement I made with Taehyung during my first day as his pretend fiancée.

“It won’t happen again,” I continued but still, there were no words from Taehyung. He’s really giving me the silent treatment. Well, I guess I deserve it anyway.

“Do you want to stay over for dinner? I’m thinking of making some seolleongtang tonight.”

Silence.

“Maybe also some kimchijeon to go along with it. It’d be delicious.”

Still, Taehyung kept his mouth shut.

Mentally, I was slowly ripping my hair out in frustration. This is driving me crazy. His silence is driving me crazy. Can’t he say something? Anything will do. I don’t even mind if he’ll tease me or what but please let him say something.

I opened my mouth to try and convince him once more to utter a single word when he finally spoke, and I’ve never felt so relieved my entire life.

“I’m staying over your place tonight.”

Finally!

Wait. What?

“Eh?”

Taehyung glanced at my direction and we locked eyes before he returned his attention back to the road. I swear I saw him smile for a second there.

“You heard me. I’ll be sleeping at your place tonight, so you might as well keep true to what you said awhile ago. I’ll be looking forward for the dinner you said you’ll prepare,” he said as a smirk began to tug at the corner of his lips. He really does find ways to make my life miserable. As a matter of fact, I’m thinking he was born for that purpose.

**YUNA**

“How are we going to break it to her?” Eunha asked as we slowly treaded along the pathway leading to Yerin-unnie’s door. After we decided to tell unnie what she needs to know, Jungkook got a call from his dad, wanting him to meet him for dinner tonight along with some of his family’s friends. Of course, he can’t say no despite him wanting to come with us so badly. That’s why the only thing he ended up doing was driving us here to unnie’s house and wishing us good luck, something we know we’ll need.

I took in a huge breath and exhaled deeply. Even I, myself, am not sure where to begin and how to explain everything to Yerin-unnie. Yes, she’s a completely reasonable and understanding individual but I’m scared of what she might think once she finds out. I’m scared of her seeing us anew, of seeing us as the culprits of why Taehyun-oppa is behaving the way he is now.

“I don’t know,” I whispered.

I felt Eunha’s hands reach out for mine before she held them tightly. “Unnie will understand,” she said and pulled at my arm to make me look at her. When I did, she was smiling so genuinely at me that all my worries seemed to have dissipated into thin air. Eunha does have this effect on me. She’s like my personal stress reliever. She always knows how to make me feel better. I’ve never regretted talking to her first during that time back in kindergarten when I saw her playing by herself in the playground’s swing.

“I hope so.”

**YERIN**

“My place is a mess.”

“We could clean it up.”

“The air conditioner broke.”

“We could open the windows. Some fresh air wouldn’t hurt.”

“The bathroom’s heater isn’t properly functioning.”

“I actually like taking a cold shower.”

I sighed to myself to compose my nerves. A little more and I’m sure I’ll explode. I’ve been making up excuses ever since we began driving home, in hopes of making Taehyung change his mind. I only intended for him to join me for dinner to make up for my disobedience to our contract’s agreement. I never said I wanted him to sleep over.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter