Chapter XXXIV

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXXIV

**YUNA**

“What’s taking her so long?” I mumbled as I checked the time on the clock that’s hanging on the wall. Ten minutes have already passed since Eunha went downstairs to get some water and I’m sure it wouldn’t take that much time to do so.

Worry clouded my mind as I thought of Eunha being alone in the kitchen. I’ve watched way too much murder films to the extent that I imagined the worst case happening to Eunha downstairs.

At the disturbing thought, I immediately kicked off the blanket and stood up from the bed, putting aside the book that I started reading. Park So Nyo’s whereabouts could wait for later because right now, I have my priorities straight and that entails checking on my best friend who took ten whole minutes just to drink a glass of water.

After slipping on my pair of fluffy indoor slippers that are designed to resemble that of a cute puppy, I slowly went out the door after checking to see if I hadn’t disturbed Sowon-unnie who was already snoring in her bed. Luckily for me, unnie isn’t much of a light sleeper.

The hallway was empty, and all other rooms had their lights off which means to say most are probably asleep by now. I didn’t bother to switch on the hallway’s lights, both to not bother the others already in their room and to make sure I remain obscure if ever there are bad people who snuck into the house.

I tiptoed as I made my way down the stairs, being careful as to not make a sound. The last thing I want is for the intruders to hear me. I mean there’s no use for a surprise attack do if my presence isn’t a surprise anymore.

“Eunha?” I whispered as softly as I can. I imagined my best friend hiding somewhere in a corner after noticing the arrival of the trespassers. The safety of my best friend should come first. Beating up the people who had the guts to sneak inside could wait for later.

“Eunha…” I repeated but still, there was no answer. My mind then began to alert itself. What if they had taken Eunha as a hostage?

“Oh no,” I exclaimed, covering my mouth as my eyes bulged at the thought. If I’m right, that means I can’t beat the hell out of the trespassers without rescuing Eunha first.

“I need a plan,” I told myself before a sound of a chair being dragged reached my ears. If my estimates aren’t wrong, I’d say it came from the veranda.

Thinking now could be my chance to sneak in and catch the trespassers off guard, I rushed to the living room where I could get a perfect view of the outside from the one-way glass window.

From afar, I could already see two figures but it’s still unclear given that it’s also so dark in here. However, when I reached a meter away from the window and when the moonlight hit the people outside, I realized that they weren’t intruders at all because sitting there in the veranda is no other than Eunha and Jungkook.

I felt myself being relieved. At least I know Eunha’s safe. However, my worry was soon replaced by curiosity as I realized one thing. What are they doing outside this late at night?

I don’t know if it’s the sleepiness in my system or it’s that I’m really just being paranoid tonight, but I think I felt something tug at my chest at the sight of my best friend and my boyfriend having their time alone at this hour. I know I could trust both of them. I know they wouldn’t do things that would hurt me but why? Why do I feel like I’m questioning their loyalty? Why do I feel jealous?

**JUNGKOOK**

“Do you want me to be completely honest or do you want some lies here and there?” Eunha joked to lighten the mood between us.

I chuckled to let her know I appreciated the effort. “Completely honest.”

“Fine then. Just make sure you don’t regret it.”

“I won’t,” I said before continuing in my head, “I think I already know what you’re going to say anyway.”

“You know…I really do like you. I like you a lot not as a friend but as something more than that,” she blurted all too sudden. I faced her with a look of dismay and saw that she wasn’t looking at me as she said those words. She was staring straight ahead, at the sea as it glistened in the nightlight.

“I know,” came my reply and it must have caught her off guard, me saying it because she soon faced me with a look of surprise, but she was quick to mask it with a smile when she noticed that I already have my eyes fixed on her. “You weren’t really that subtle with your feelings.”

She bit her lips, willing herself not to cry again and seeing Eunha, the Eunha who is always smiling for everyone, about to break down into tears for the second time around, I couldn’t help but feel the urge to encage her in a comforting hug. Such a kind-hearted woman like her isn’t supposed to be hurt. She’s supposed to be protected, wrapped in a bundle of love but no matter how much I think like that, I know I’m not the right person to do that and I can never force myself to be that person even if that is what Eunha wants.

“Does Yuju know?” she asked, almost in a whisper, as she hang her head low to stop me from seeing the tears that started to stream down her face, but she was a second too late to do that because I knew what I saw. She’s crying. Eunha is crying again and I’m partly responsible for it.

I shook my head for a ‘No’ and she sighed in relief. After all, it’s what matters most in our case, right? Her friendship with Yuna, her one and only best friend who she holds dearer in her heart.

I smiled. That’s the Eunha I know, the Eunha I learned to love as a friend. She’s always that person who puts friendship over anything else. I even remember that time where she had to rush to Yuna’s house back in high school just to play as her when Yuna and I got stuck in the middle of the forest after getting lost on a hike. Yuna didn’t ask permission from her mom then and Eunha risked getting scolded for going out so late just to save Yuna from being caught. I don’t know if she had already developed feelings for me that time but if she did, it must have been hard. She had to sacrifice knowing that in the end, she’s still going to be the one hurting because after everything, she still found us together when we came home.

“I’m sorry,” I finally mustered the courage to say but Eunha just shook her head as she bit her lips to prevent herself from sobbing. It’s not easy to cry silently but she’s doing it like it’s nothing.

“Don’t be. I don’t blame you because if there’s anyone to blame here, it should be me. I’m the one who fell for you. I’m the one who can’t keep herself from falling for the wrong person. I’m the one who selfishly loved my best friend’s lover.”

I could tell how strong Eunha is. She’s handling the situation better than most woman can, and I admire her for that. Had it been me in her shoes, had it been me stuck in a one-sided love all these years, I don’t know if I can do the same thing. I don’t think I can play pretend only to end up hurting at the end of the every day.

“But still,” I said as I placed a gentle hand on the frame of her shoulder. She flinched at my sudden touch but soon settled to it and I continued, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I can’t return your feelings.”

“You don’t have to, Jungkook,” she replied with a smile she tried to make herself cheer up despite her whole self just wanting to break down and cry. “I don’t need you to. I was perfectly fine loving by myself and that will remain the same even after tonight.”

I don’t know how I should respond to that. She basically ended the conversation. That was my cue to stop trying to think of anything more to say and just offer her a smile, a smile that says a thousand words of apology for hurting her in a way I did not intend to do.

We sat there, dwelling on the silence, as we allowed the soft sounds of the waves to soothe our ears. Eunha was still sobbing gently as she allowed her tears to dry in the cool autumn breeze that blew every now and then. I, on the other hand, sat still, staring straight ahead without doing anything else. I had the option to leave since Eunha no longer wanted to talk anymore anyway but I don’t want to do that, not when I could do something better. I could still offer Eunha comfort with my presence, not as the person who could reciprocate her feelings but as the person who has been and will still be her friend.

**YUNA**

I wiped the tears that involuntarily escaped my eyes as I silently walked away. I don’t know if I’m crying because I’m happy how things turned out between Eunha and Jungkook or because I’m also hurting for my best friend. I honestly am not aware of her feelings until now. I never saw the signs and I guess I can’t really say I’m her best friend after all. I should have figured it out myself, right? I should have noticed. Jungkook did, and I know I’m more observant than him. How come the tides turned? I have so many questions in my mind with so little answers. I think that if I ask myself any more unanswered queries, I’ll might lose it.

“Yuna?” a groggy voice asked from behind me. I hurriedly wiped the tears away and turned to face the person.

“Unnie!” I exclaimed, trying my hardest to sound cheery despite the storm that’s raging on in my mind. “I thought you were already asleep.”

“I was but I woke up feeling nature’s call,” she said like it was the most usual thing you’d hear in a conversation. I have to give it to Yerin-unnie for being this blunt.

I forced out a chuckle, “The restroom is upstairs.”

“I know. I thought I just heard something down here. I decided to check,” she explained, and I was reminded of my paranoia a while ago which made me somehow forget of the sadness I got from overhearing Jungkook and Eunha’s conversation.

“That was me,” I said, and she nodded. I stepped aside for her to pass. She smiled gratefully at me before walking ahead to the direction of the stairs. I guess she was still half awake as she didn’t see through my lie of faking cheeriness. I noticed that unnie did always have this skill in reading people’s eyes exceptionally well. It’s probably one of her precious skills.

I was about to head back to the room I share with Eunha and Sowon-unnie as well, when the door leading outside suddenly opened and out came Eunha followed by Jungkook. They were obviously shocked to see me out here, but they were fast to hide their expression in a second.

“Yuju?” Eunha asked. Her eyes were still visibly puffy after the crying she had done and I’m sure she has her fingers crossed by now, hoping I won’t point it out. I decided to relieve her of the burden and played oblivious.

“Oh, hey. I didn’t know you were here all along. I actually went looking for you a while ago, but I gave up when I didn’t see you in the kitchen, eating a late-night snack,” I tried to joke to make myself seem believable to both of them. Jungkook chuckled and I thank the Heavens for that. He has always been the one to detect when I’m lying but right now, I think I have him fooled by my acting. It’s either that or he’s still coped up by his recent conversation with my best friend.

Eunha puffed her cheeks like the usual cute reaction she’d always give. If she’s still hurting, then she’s hiding it well.

I let out a laugh as I made my way over to them. I playfully hit Eunha on the back before pulling her in for a hug. I’m making it seem like I’m only doing it after saying such a mean joke but I’m actually hugging her because I want to- because it’s what she needs after bravely confessing like that.

As soon as we pulled away after a while of the embrace, I gently held Eunha by the shoulders and stared at her eyes, forcing her to do the same.

“I don’t want to sleep without my best friend by my side after all.”

I didn’t mean for it to remind her of the conversation she had with Jungkook, but I think that’s exactly what I did because the moment those words came out of my mouth, Eunha burst out in a cry before she threw her arms at me for another hug. I gave Jungkook a questioning look, asking him to explain as if I didn’t know the reason why Eunha is acting this w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter