Chapter 8

Forgotten Secret

As the date was the only lead that was somewhat worthwhile to follow, Team Leader Ahn had gotten PO to do some research on it.

I found something interesting about a past case with that date that Myungsoo and Woohyun came up with. 14/9/2001. This happened 16 years ago, it was a homicide-suicide case. Not much on the case. Had to do a bit of digging though, seems like it was shoved under a lot of other cases. There was a survivor as well, PO offered. He then projected the case onto the screen.

The Lee family. There was a baby with signs of the Shaken Baby Syndrome and was found dead. The mother, Lee Yunhui, was killed by the father and husband, Lee Saebyeok, then he committed suicide. The survivor was a child, male, Lee Sungyeol, PO further explained.

Lee Sungyeol? I asked. Did this happen in Décor Apartments?

PO looked down and then said, How did you know that?

I lived in the same building. We were friends, I answered in a distracted manner.

However, Lee Sungyeol was not found at the crime scene though. So, he wouldnt have seen anything I dont think, PO continued. He continued to type and scroll through various documents, looking for more relevant information.

Where is Lee Sungyeol now? Team Leader Ahn asked, leaving over PO shoulder.

He was adopted and his file has been sealed, PO answered after a few clicks with his mouse.

Jonghyun got up and said, Ill take Myungsoo to the court and see if we cant get the files unsealed.

Myungsoo stood up and walked at a fast pace, following Jonghyun out of the office.

I can go to the forensics artist and see if we cant get a picture of what he may look like now and get it out. See if anyone knows him or if hell just come forward and we can interrogate him, Hwasa offered.

Ill try to dig for more information, PO volunteered.

Ill see if I cant write up a more detailed profile and we can see if he fits, Yugyeom said.

I was still in shock, I didnt know that that was the reason why the Lee family left and why a new family moved in. Although I didnt like the thought of my childhood friend being a killer, there was a high chance but obviously, he wasnt there so there wouldnt have been any psychological damage, making Sungyeol not a suspect.

The male librarian took the card and scanned it. He read the screen and asked, Your name is Choi Seungjae? Born in 1964 September 20? The male attendant looked at the client in front of him to ensure the information was correct. Mr Choi nodded and handed the books that he wanted to take out to the librarian.

Thank you so much! Please do come before the return date either to return the books or get them renewed, the young male said cheerfully. On his name badge it was written Park Seungjae.

Jonghyun rushed in and went over to PO. He hurriedly gave some information to PO and PO began to type, his eyes were trained on the screen.

Ive found something, PO announced. Park Seungjae formerly known as Lee Sungyeol still lives in Busan and currently works at a library. No previous criminal records, appears to be a perfect citizen. His adoptive parents died about 2 years ago, leaving him an apartment in Busan and a house in the countryside of Busan. He did finish his schooling and studied literature in college. There was a moment of pause before PO said, Wait, I guess hes not exactly the happiest person. Hes been in and out of psychotherapy and visits a psychiatrist since basically when his biological family died. I havent got any access to the medical records, well need a court order for that.

Wait a second, were not actually suspecting him of involvement to any of this right? So, his family died of a similar MO as these victims. But there were three deaths in that family, all these victims were singular victims. The police report clearly says that Sungyeol wasnt a witness. Nothing points to him at all. So he goes to therapy, how many other people in this city do the same. I mean Im sure he has some residual trauma being the only one left in his family, I argued.

Nobody else fits the profile. Hes young, male, probably got some decent strength and the deaths of his family in such a violent manner could lead to severe psychological trauma, Hwasa reasoned.

But he didnt witness it! I answered.

The date that you came up with points to him though and theres no other link that we can currently foresee, Myungsoo said quietly. The day where your entire life changes would be pretty significant, dont you think?

All the victims have an account at the library that he works. I didnt pick it up earlier because some of the victims are registered under other family members, PO reported.

I swallowed everything was slowly pointing to Sungyeol.  Let me go speak to him. My birthdate and name fits in with the numbers as well. I checked. If it really is him, he wont be able to resist the pull to take me out. Furthermore, Im a link to a past that he cant get rid of if he is the Unsub, I said seriously.

You are suggesting that you go undercover, Team Leader Ahn said after being quiet for the entire discussion. He seemed to contemplate my plan.

Youre not going to be able to get a court order for the medical records with what little we have. Well be sure of whether it is him if I go. I was determined, if I was a link then I could get something out of Sungyeol.