Chapter 1

Forgotten Secret

“Serial killers usually always start somewhere. They perfect their skills and more often than not the key to the unsub lies in the earlier murders. What’s important to remember is that for some there is a moral code, for others they are seeking revenge for a perceived wrong and there is the one that seems to follow no reason or pattern,” the retired Assistant Director (who was giving us an introductory lecture) said.

 

Unsub = unknown subject

Reaons:

1. Moral compass

2. Perceived wrong

3. No reason

 

After 2 hours, the lecturer concluded with “A serial murder is usually a highly functional individual who may believe that he is in fact working towards justice or that he is above human thoughts.” He then looked up and said, “That’s it for today, please remember that you will be having your psychology talks tomorrow. Please read the prescribed books. And now get to it, you all have Physical now.”

We all got up and bowed as the older man left.

Systematically we left the seminar room and walked towards the changing rooms to put on our PT gear. We all got our clothes on quickly and stood in a straight line waiting for the trainer.

“What are you all waiting for?” a voice bellowed, “Get going, 25 laps! Last person will receive punishment.”

Immediately everyone picked up their feet and started running. Although we had all gotten into the Bureau, only the best graduated with the specialist skills and was placed in the Special Cases Unit (SCU). We all had already passed and were part of the Korean Bureau but if we completed this one year of specialised training, there was a possibility of a maximum of the top 2 being placed in SCU. The rest could get positions overseas or be a part of the more obscure areas of the Bureau.

The burning in my legs intensified. However, with 11 laps left I wasn’t going to stop. I counted 10 legs therefore 5 pairs. I just needed to pass 4 of them. I took one deep breath and quickened my pace. I passed 2 legs then another 2 and another 2. I could feel the fatigue starting to crawl in again. 6 laps to go. I pushed myself again, running side to side with the next pair of legs that I had to pass. 4 laps to go still side to side with the same pair of legs. He was growing tired, I just needed him to be more tired than I was. With a huff I sprinted again, leaving behind the 2 legs that I had run 3 laps alongside with. I managed to catch up to the light-footed pair of legs that was leading everyone. Kim Myungsoo. Academically speaking he was top in the class, second in combat, third in tactics and first in physical. He was a real competitor but a good person that I would not mind being friends and partners with as time goes on. I finished with him.

“Too slow!!” the dreaded voice shouted, “10 more!”

“Aish!” I groaned out as I continued to run.

I heard a slight chuckle and I turned to see my companion.

Myungsoo inclined his head and indicated that we should move faster.

I nodded my consent.

As we ran, a feeling of companionship developed between the two of us. When we finished the extra laps, we collapsed on the ground together. For a while, only the sound of our heavy breathing and the sound of dragging feet still running.

“I’m Nam Woohyun,” I said introducing myself as I rotated my neck to look at my partner.

He looked at me and responded, “I know.”

I looked away awkwardly. I mean I knew his name too but we have to start the conversation from somewhere.

“You could have pretended to not know,” I replied, “Now the atmosphere is weird…”

He laughed and said, “Why do you sound like you’re blaming me for this situation? Why must I lie?”

“How else are we supposed to start a conversation?” I complained.

He lifted and scrunched his eyebrows in disbelief, “I think you’re just bad at making conversation.”

I pretended to be offended, “I’ll have you know that I won the Class Award for being the most sociable and friendly person in the year when I was in Grade 6.”

Myungsoo laughed, “Yes because how you were when you were 12 really dictates how you are now.”

 

After Physical as we were walking to the change rooms, I nudged his arm with my elbow and gave him a playful challenging look. He responded by elbowing me in the stomach.

“Aish! I went through hard training just now!! I’m in pain!”

He just laughed and walked ahead of me. I was going to run after him but I smiled at Myungsoo’s back fondly. I guess it was a start to having a friend and hopefully a partner.