Chapter 2

Forgotten Secret

Nam Woohyun,” the secretary called out.

 

I took a deep breath and walked with purposeful strides into the Special Cases Unit Director’s office. I stood up with my back straight directly in front of the Director, who was standing on the opposite side of the table.

 

The Director gave me a searching look before holding her hand out briefly for me to shake. With an indication of her hand, we both sat down with her being seated a few milliseconds before me.

 

“Agent Nam, I see that you are one of the top students in your peer group. Very diligent and observant, highly recommended for my Unit,” she said while reading off a page in a thick-looking file. She looked up at me and asked, “Well what do you have to say for yourself?”

 

I swallowed, thinking hard about the question, and then I answered, “I don’t know if it truly means anything for me to be top of my peer group. Knowing what to do and how to do it doesn’t mean very much. Even if I do well in simulated situations, it is still in a controlled environment which means there is no clear indication of what I will be like in a real-life situation. However, I believe that I have the ability to be in your Unit. I have many skills and the ones I don’t have I will work hard in developing and perfecting them. I think I can be a real asset in your Unit.”

 

She continued to look at me then she said, “To be honest with you, I like you. You and Kim Myungsoo are probably the two that I have had my eye on since the beginning of your training. I am in a bit of a dilemma though. I have one spot but two people. Who do you think I should choose?”

 

“I feel that I would be able to bring in a different outlook on certain cases and I am a very persistent person. I won’t stop simply because everyone tells me to or because there is a lack of a lead. However, I feel that I shouldn’t have to use pretty words to persuade you to choose me. You already know who you want, you just want confirmation that you are making the right choice.”

 

She smiled a little before her stern face reappeared, “I like the way you speak but you should probably learn to be more diplomatic and a better speaker. You are in a career where you might need to be slicker than our politicians.”

 

The Director then stood up. I followed her example quickly. She dismissed me and I left with a bow in her direction.

 

“Idiot!” I said to myself in a quiet whisper. I hit myself on the head and blew out a frustrated sigh.

 

I felt a presence beside me and then a low voice said, “You know only crazy people or mentally unstable people hit themselves, right?”

 

I dropped my head even lower and replied, “I messed up Myungsoo. I don’t what I was thinking. I don’t even know why I became so rude and arrogant.”

 

He laughed at me as he walked beside me, “I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as you think it was. What did you say?”

 

I looked at him and told him what happened.

 

“I really don’t think you said anything bad. You probably could have said things in a more delicate manner,” he responded calmly.

 

As we walked back to our assigned resting area, we saw Jeon Jungkook, a young but very promising trainee agent. He saw us and smiled brightly before rearranging his facial expression to one of polite respect.

 

“The Head of Training is looking for you both. You should report to him as soon as possible.”

 

I looked at Myungsoo questioningly, silently asking if he knew what it was about. He gave me a covert shake of his head so I looked back at Jungkook and said with a smile, “Thank you for letting us know.”

 

The Head of Training looked up when Myungsoo knocked on the open door. “Come in, come in,” he said with a jovial smile.

 

We stood at attention and waited for him to speak.

 

“As I am sure you are aware, the picking of the agent for the SCU has already begun. I believe that you have both had your interview with the Director. Final evaluations will commence. You are both required to be a part of an ongoing case and they will see how well you do. You begin on Monday at 07:00 and you will be reporting to Team Leader Ahn.”