Chapter 7

Forgotten Secret

It was late, everyone had left. I was looking at all the files and trying to find links.  The evidence was leading us nowhere. There just wasnt anything to go on, all the anonymous tips had been complete dead ends. I ruffled my hair in frustration. I dont understand, this Unsub comes from nowhere and has perfect kills. This points to the Unsub having previous victims but we cant find them. He has no set criteria to his victims. Its all so random. I studied the board that Myungsoo and I had put together.

Its like he doesnt know who he has taken. Other than their names, if you see here in all the photos he only leaves the victims name written in blood somewhere.

Stop obsessing over this case Woohyun. You need to sleep! And how do you know if youre right? Just because there are only names doesnt mean that he only knew the names. It could very well be something else.

What else is there? I replied loudly. I raised my fist as if to punch the wall but instead I lowered my fist and tapped the table hard. I looked up and then walked over to the board with the most important information on the cases. I then frantically searched for something, muttering to myself. Yes found it, of course it wouldnt be so simple, I said in an excited manner, Its all numbers. Numbers…” I kept muttering to myself. After sitting in front of the board with pen and paper, I smirked and looked up, I found the link at least.

The Unsub that we are looking for is very likely a high functioning individual who has a fascination with the number sequence: one four nine two zero zero one, I said while writing the number on the board. If you were to calculate the names and birthdates of the victims you will get those numbers. Im not sure what the number means exactly but thats the Unsubs link between all the victims. Although we could put the birthdate first so it could also be two zero zero one one four nine. I finished by circling and underlining the numbers that he had written.

From this information, we can deduce that he will be in a job where he can access names and birthdates. It could be something as simple as being a part of some sort of call centre for emergencies or a bank or a cell phone company. Or this person could be an actual insurance broker, banker or medical personnel. But the Unsub is able to get this information. There is also the possibility that he is a hacker, Myungsoo continued on from where I left off.

 

May I please have a café latte? Myungsoo ordered politely. He walked to the other counter to collect his drink while verbalising his gratitude. He went to sit in a booth. He took a deep breath and stared at the opposite seat thinking. His eyes traced the various pictures printed on the cover of the seats. All of a sudden, his eyes widened, leaving his coffee, he got up and ran out the exit then towards Headquarters.

Woohyun! Woohyun! Myungsoo called out as he raced into the conference room, I figured it out. He grabbed a marker and wrote out the number 1492011. I was at the coffee shop. You know the one with the seats that have the posts and random flags and travelling cases? There was a date written and then it clicked. He took the marker again and then drew an oblique between the 14 and 9 and another between the 9 and the 2011. I think that the date 14/9/2001 holds some kind of meaning to the Unsub, if I am right and it is a date then it rules out the number 2001/1/49 or 2001/14/9 or 20/01/1449, Myungsoo finished his sentence clearly out of breath.