Chapter 3: Meddling

A Call for Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been over a month since Jimin had left Busan.  Life had gone on without him, I had continued to spend time with Nam, though only at lunch.  Our interaction going from hi, to actually speaking a few words every now and then in-between all the chatter of everyone else.  He would always mimic one of the girls at the table to me when they did something obnoxious and the two of us would have a laugh. 

One afternoon, after lunch, I had stayed back a bit to help clean up our table.  On my way out, I had caught wind of a conversation I wish hadn’t.

“Nam why do you keep bringing that stupid Nari girl around, she brings down the mood.”  I heard Hyun’s voice coming from around the corner of the cafeteria where their lockers sat.  Hyun was Nam’s best friends and would always be next to Nam at the table causing mischief.  Most of the mess I cleaned up was his.

“She’s not so bad, you have to try talking to her,” Nam bit back, “Plus, Jimin asked me to interact with her.  I’m doing it for him.”

“Of course, Jimin did, why he likes that girl I will never understand,” Hyun huffed before I heard their footsteps disappearing down the hall, never noticing my saddened presence around the corner.

Suddenly I was really frustrated, frustrated with the fact that despite my trying, people still didn’t want to be around. 

“Are you really trying Nari?  Or are you just convincing yourself you are.”  Jimin’s words rang through my brain like a gong and I found myself jolting into an even deeper rage.  He should have given me the change to be successful on me own.  Who did Jimin think he was?  Interfering with my life in such a way?! Asking his friends to talk to me was a slap to the face.

I flipped open my phone, and sent a quick text to Jimin, “Don’t ask your friends to treat me like a charity case.”

I huffed out an angry sigh and headed to class.  My mind still caught up on Nam’s words.  Part of me had started to play around with the idea that maybe Nam had felt some sort of connection long before he approached me but in truth it was just Jimin’s meddling.  I had appeicted his attention but I didn’t want to be a burden to him.  He didn’t really want to spend time with, he was only doing it because of Jimin.

I had received a text a little bit later from Jimin, a single question mark to say he was not understanding what I had meant.  Park Jimin was an idiot at times.  My day was almost over but I was still so furious, I wanted to do with him and I had never been so thankful he was in Seoul because he couldn’t pester me or force my words. 

I didn’t need Park Jimin to ask his friends to talk to me.  I would have been fine at my table reading my books on my own.

Jimin attempted to call me that night, but I ignored his call and went to bed early.  Before dozing off, a text popped through, “Why are you ignoring me?  Did I do something?”

I didn’t respond, only shoving my pillow over my head and shutting down my thoughts.

The next afternoon as lunch came around, Nam waved over at me as I was bringing my lunch tray.  I pulled out my book, offering Nam a smile.  It was my way of saying I needed to study, and made my way to a different table where I could be alone.

While I didn’t want to admit it, part of me wish I hadn’t overheard their conversation yesterday.  I would have happily lived my life in bliss but now, while I couldn’t admit it at the time, it hurt to know that Nam only talked to me because Jimin had asked him to.

Jimin sent me a few more texts throughout the day, “Can you call me later today….?”

“Respond to my text messages.” 

“Nari.”

“Don’t act like you can’t see these.  I have IMessage.”

The final one I received was as I was walking home, “I am skype calling you at 6.  If you don’t answer, I’m calling your house and talking to your mom.”

I grumbled, Jimin knew my weakness’ to well.  My mother would come storming into my bedroom, “Why are you fighting with the only friend you have Nari?”  Because that’s exactly what I wanted to hear from my mom after everything.

I let my fingers glide across my screen, texting the response, “fine.”

When I got home, I rushed passed my parent’s, not wanting to talk to them and went straight to my room.  I opened my laptop at my study desk, knowing that I could kill time and practice algebra before Jimin’s skype call came through.  I made sure not to log in early, but knew if I wasn’t ontime, he’d be calling my house at 6:01. 

When his video call came through, and his face entered my sight, it was clear he had just gotten out of the shower.  He looked tired, dar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter