Gem

Let You Go

CHAPTER 8~

 

 

“What the hell were you thinking? Chilling in the park at this time of day, are you crazy?” Kyulkyung scolded Somi.

Somi plopped on the coach, burying her face on the nearest pillow. Kyulkyung became more frustrated when the younger girl didn’t answer her.

“Don’t ignore me.” Kyulkyung hissed. Somi said something but she wasn’t able to understand it since it was muffled by the pillow.

“What?”

“I’ll explain later,” Her voice much clearer, but her face still buried on the pillow. The Chinese girl didn’t bother the younger girl anymore, but reminding herself to ask Somi later.

“Mhmm, I’ll leave now.” The two girl’s attention diverted to the beautiful girl standing by the door holding the door knob – ready to leave.

“Wait, unnie,” Kyulkyung uttered. Sejeong turned her head, looking at Kyulkyung with a ‘what’ look. “Stay?” Kyulkyung’s voice almost sounds like she’s begging rather than asking.

“Stay?” Sejeong repeated what the ostrich said. She didn’t seem to get what she meant.

“Stay.. Stay here. We- I missed you too.” She uttered before running towards the older girl hugging her like a damn teddy bear.

 

The older girl was obviously shocked but it didn’t take her long to gain back her sanity, her arms found its way to Kyulkyung. Somi saw how the two are hugging, her arms ached – her heart wants to join but her brain tells her otherwise.

 

“I missed you so much unnie..” Kyulkyung uttered, a sob followed her sentence.

“Aigoo, I’m sorry, don’t cry.” Sejeong the crying girl’s back, trying to calm her down.

Somi feels her hands clenching the pillow – turning her knuckles white, “I’m going to bed.” She got up and threw her unnies a quick glance, only to see Sejeong hugging Kyulkyung but looking at her – a flash of hurt was seen in her eyes. That heart-breaking view didn’t stop her from leaving the living room and locking herself in the guest room.

She leaned on the door after closing it, her knees grew weak every time she breaths, until it eventually gave in – letting her body slide down the door until she was seated on the floor.

 

'Why can't my knees support my body? Am I getting fat?'

 

She weakly laughed at her own taught. How hard is she going to try to deny the truth? The truth that was always in front of her – waiting for her to accept it.

 

‘What if I still do actually love he-‘

 

She was pondering when suddenly she feels her eyelids started to close. She listened to her body, throwing herself to bed, shoving the thought in the back of her mind. Her head lolls and the muscle of her face relax, releasing all the tension and worries of her day, and there she drifted to dreamland.

-

Sejeong is seated on the couch, right hand holding a can of beer, her eyes wandering around Kyulkyung’s apartment and stopping at a photo – it was them about 5 years ago, genuine smiles plastered on their face.

 

‘Wish I can turn back the time.’

 

“Unnie, do you want something to eat?” Kyulkyung uttered, her head peeking through the kitchen.

“Nah, I’m good.” She answered before taking a sip of her cheap beer.

She never really liked beer, for her it tasted like cat piss mixed with bitter gourd juice, but one day she just caught herself finding comfort from it. Weird isn’t it?

 

‘Expect the unexpected.’

 

Kyulkyung left the kitchen holding two plates of nachos, she placed it on the table in front of them, “I know that you told me that you don’t want to eat anything,” She grabbed the remote, turning the tv on, loud enough to not wake up the probably sleeping Somi, “But I want you to eat, you look like a damn stick.” Kyulkyung uttered.

The older girl chuckled, “Rude.” She didn’t protest though; she takes a chip and ate it.

“What happened to Somi, unnie?” Kyulkyung asked. “Why did you suddenly bring her here?”

Sejeong laid back on the couch and folded her arms, before uttering “Relationship problems.” Sejeong sighed, “I told you I saw her in the park right? I asked her if she would like to stay at my place, but she denied my offer – so here we are, at your lovely abode.”

“Oh, Chaeyeon unnie.” Kyulkyung’s voice was a whisper, “What exactly happened though?”

“I really don’t know. But I’m guessing they fought? Somi’s giving her girlfriend freedom?” Sejeong said, clearly not sure of her own answers.

“What? Freedom?” Kyulkyung chuckled at Sejeong who’s obviously confused by her own answers.

Sejeong shrugged, going back to her cold gaze, “Heck, I don’t know anything.”

 

The room fell silent, but it wasn’t awkward, it was more like a very comfortable silence. The tv was the only thing that created noises.

Kyulkyung felt an urge to ask something, but she doesn’t want to be insensitive. But her thirst for answers was over the roof, she just had to. She needs to know.

 

“Unnie.” Kyulkyung called, Sejoeng’s head turned, looking at the younger girl. “Why.. did you suddenly.. leave?” She asked bluntly, letting out all the courage that built inside of her for the past year out in that 1 question.

The older girl looked away. She fixed her gaze on the television; it took her a while to digest the question of the younger girl sitting beside her.

Kyulkyung looked down, embarrassed by her own insensitivity, “Sorry.. I shouldn’t have asked that-“

“It’s for the best.” Sejeong cuts off Kyulkyung.

“What?” She looked at the older girl whose gaze is still fixed on the television.

 

“I didn’t really have a lot of options. It’s either I stay and let my conscience consume me. Or leave and let go of everything and that includes you guys… And I chose the second option.” She paused and looked at the younger girl whose still confuse.

 

“To make it simple – it’s because of my selfishness.” Sejoeng bluntly said.

 

“I don’t understand, Sejeong. What are you talking about?” Kyulkyung is confused – very confused. She doesn’t want to believe what she heard.

 

‘Sejeong chose to leave us? Why? She must have a reason right? She wouldn’t do that, I know her and I trust her…’

 

“It’s hard to understand Kyulkyung, I understand if you hate me right now.. causes to be honest, even I, hate myself.”

The Chinese girl weakly shook her head, disagreeing with what the older girl said, “Don’t. There must be a reason right? Why you let us go? There’s a reason right?” Her voice sounds desperate, hearing her bestfriend like that; it’s breaking Sejeong’s heart.

“I wish..” She looked down, shifting her gaze to the floor.

“Unnie, please-“

 

DING DONG

DING DONG

DING DONG

 

The doorbell wouldn’t stop ringing. It didn’t even take 1 second for it to ring again. Kyulkyung hissed at the sudden disturbance. She approached the door and peaked at the peephole, making sure it’s not someone sketchy. She immediately opened the door when she saw who’s outside.

“Chaeyeon unnie? What are you doing here?” She looked at Chaeyeon from head to toe.

‘She looked like a mess.

“Kyulkyung.. is Somi here?” She looked at Kyulkyung showing her swollen red eyes – obviously from crying.

She nodded, “But she’s sleeping right now, I suggest giving her more time for herself.”

“But..”

Chaeyeon was about to say something when suddenly Sejeong cut her off, “No buts. Give her time, you wanted freedom right? Well, look she’s giving it to you aren’t you happy?” Her cold, dark gaze glued on the girl called ‘Chaeyeon’.

“I didn’t ask for your opinion, I don’t even know who you are.” Chaeyeon uttered. Giving her back the cold, dark gaze the Sejeong gave Chaeyeon.

Kyulkyung instantly felt the tension and was very uncomfortable, “Chaeyeon unnie. I think Sejeong unnie is right. Give her more time, you can pick her up tomorrow morning if you’d like.” She tried to ease up the situation.

“Tsk, fine.” She uttered, before pointing a finger at Sejeong, “Say HIK something only when your opinion is asked for.” Chaeyeon turned around, about to leave when suddenly Kyulkyung asked her something.

“Unnie, you’re driving?” Chaeyeon nodded, “But, unnie you’re drunk.”

“It doesn’t matter. I HIK got here drunk, and I’m going home drunk.” She answered.

“I’ll take her home.” Sejeong grabbed her car keys on the table and stepped outside.

Chaeyeon hissed, “I don’t need your kindness.”

“I’m not doing this to be kind. I’m doing this for Somi, what do you think she would feel when she sees you in jail for drinking and driving?” Sejeong gave her an emotionless look, “Stupid.” She hissed back.

Chaeyeon felt embarrassed, she agreed knowing that this stranger is hella right, being arrested for drinking and driving just to find Somi. She feels guilt crawling inside her body when she remembers what she said to her girlfriend.

 

‘Ah, I’m the worst.’

 

The only thing she thought of ever since she saw Somi walk out that door was to find her, take her in her arms, apologize, and tell her how much she loves her. She shouldn’t have drank, if her friends didn’t force her, she should be asleep by now – beside her Somi,her girlfriend, her love, her everything. If only she didn’t take that damn alcohol, damn it.

 

‘I love her so much.’ Chaeyeon told herself.

 

The car engine starts, and Sejoeng starts driving Chaeyeon back to her apartment – their apartment, “You better.” Sejeong uttered.

Chaeyeon didn’t realize that she said that out loud, but she isn’t embarrassed, what she said was pure truth.

“You better.” Sejeong reapated. Chaeyeon’s attention was on the girl driving the car, but the girl’s attention was on the road – of course.

“I want you to do something for me, take care of her, and give her every single ounce of your love.” Sejeong uttered before letting a small smile form her lips.

“Why are you telling me this?”

“Because she’s a gem, and gems are precious and valuable; you wouldn’t want to lose one, don’t you?” She answered the confused Chaeyeon.

 

‘I lost my gem – my everything. I lost her.’

-

Ey, so as you can tell, I'm playing with my reader's feelings right now, ahoho. Anyways, thank you for reading <3