Detention

Let You Go

CHAPTER 4

 

 

Somi came back home around 9 in the evening. She unlocks their apartment’s door and slowly opened it; a smell of something delicious greets her, which made Somi’s lips curl up into a smile.

 

She walks to the kitchen, and sees Chaeyeon cooking something. Wearing an apron, her hair tied into a messy bun. Chaeyeon wipes the sweat that was about to drip out her temples with her forearm.

‘Cute.’

 

“Hey.” Somi wraps her arms around Chaeyeon’s waist, and placed her chin on her girlfriend’s head.

 

Somi feels Chaeyeon jumped a bit, she must have scared the girl.

 

“You’re finally home, I was waiting for you.” Chaeyeon uttered, she turned around and gave Somi a quick peck on the lips before turning back to whatever she was cooking.

“I’m sorry to keep you waiting.” Somi whispered in Chaeyeon’s ear before gently nibbling on the older girl’s earlobe.

“Yah!” Chaeyeon’s body tensed up by Somi’s sudden action, “At least let me cook.” She said before playfully pushing Somi away.

“Stop being gorgeous, then maybe I’ll stop.” Somi smirks. Chaeyon’s face suddenly became red, which made Somi laugh.

“Stop laughing!” Chaeyeon uttered, she covered her face with her hands due to embarrassment.

Somi moved closer to Chaeyeon and removed her hands that was covering her doll-like face and gave her a kiss on the forehead, “I love you.”

 

--

 

“Yo, Somi.” A voice greeted Somi who’s currently busy reading something for their presentation.

“Hey, Nayoung.” She didn’t really need to lift her head to know it’s Nayoung.

A chair beside was Somi was moved, and then suddenly Nayoung was sitting beside Somi, “I heard the news.” She uttered, Somi feels Nayoung’s sharp gaze even though Somi is not looking at her.

She stopped reading for a second but she quickly regained her focus, “Yeah? Kyulkyung told you.”

 

“Yeah, she’s also my classmate.” Nayoung uttered. Somi’s eyes literally bolt open, and her jaw dropped.

 

“Hey you okay?” Nayoung pats Somi’s shoulder. Somi didn’t even realize she dropped the book she was reading and was already standing.

“Sorry, I have to go.” She takes her things and picks up the book that she dropped. She quickly leaves the library; she clenched her blazer, and tried to control her breathing. She feels like she’s suffocating. She goes to the nearest restroom, and splashed her face with water.

 

‘Classmate?’

 

‘So she’s studying here?’

 

‘Why?’

 

Somi was having a mental break down when suddenly her phone vibrates. She takes out her phone to see who texted her.

From: Chaeyeon <3 [8:13AM]

Don’t skip lunch, okay? See you later, ily xoxo

 

Somi feels her tensed muscle started to relax when she read Chaeyeon’s text message, a smile slowly crept her face.

 

To: Chaeyeon <3 [8:13AM]

I won’t. I miss you already :< ily <3

 

She puts her phone back in her phone, and walks back to her classroom. She slides the door and immediately Kyulkyung ran towards her.

“Somi, I didn’t exp-“ Kyulkyung was cut off by Somi when she suddenly sighed really loud.

“I already know, Kyulkyung. It’s fine though, I shouldn’t be affected right? After all I’m nothing to her.” Somi uttered before walking to her seat and throwing her bag on her table.

 

Kyulkyung sighed and kept shut, not wanting to piss the younger girl. Their professor came and the class had started. Somi can’t seem to focus on what the professor was saying, she normally listens but this time it's different, everything her professor said sounded gibberish to Somi’s ears.

 

“The course of true love never did run smooth.” One of her classmate read. It caught Somi’s attention, she ponders where she heard that quote – ah,  she remembers it now.

 

‘The course of true love never did run smooth, indeed.’

 

F L A S H  B A C K

 

 

Finally the day Somi was dreading is here, she can’t think straight ever since what happened, her mind was drifting into god knows where, her hands was getting clammy, she was about to black out when she feels a pair of warm, caring hands caressed her cheeks.

“Hey it’s okay, you didn’t do anything. It’s my fault for forcing you.” Sejeong gently uttered.

Tears that Somi was begging not to fall since earlier finally got out, “Sejeong, I don’t want to be a burden; I don’t think this is right anymore.”

“Shhh, don’t say that. You’ll never be a burden, Somi.” Sejeong wipes Somi’s tears with her thumb.

“Why are you doing this? Your parents don’t like me.” Somi uttered in between her sobs.

She wipes Somi’s tears that won’t stop falling from her eyes, “Because I love you.” Sejeong gently cupped Somi’s face, “And you love me. That’s enough reasons right?”

Somi looks at Sejeong. The Sejeong that used to stare at Somi blankly was no longer there, her eyes were filled with love, love that was only reserved for Somi.

“But you can’t disrespect your parents, Sejeong. I don’t want you to fight because of me.” Her voice was almost a whisper.

 

Somi’s heart break when she saw a tear escaped her girlfriend’s eye; the tear was followed by another one, and another one, until tears started streaming down Sejeong’s face. “So you’re telling me to give you up?” Sejeong bitterly asked.

 

Somi felt a poke in her heart, but soon that quick poke became painfully unbearable.

 

This time Somi was the one wiping the tears off Sejeong’s eyes, “If that’s what you have to do, then I can’t do anything about it.”

Sejeong’s arm fell. The hands that were cupping Somi’s face turned to a fist – anger. No, she wasn’t angry; she was hurt - very hurt. Sejeong turned her back and was about to leave when she feels fragile arms wrapped around her waist.

“But as long as you can, I want you to fight for me.” She uttered, her face buried in Sejeong’s sweater.

Sejeong’s lips curled up into a beautiful smile, she turned around to face the younger girl, and she leans her forehead on Somi’s shoulder. “I will fight for you.” She placed her index finger on Somi’s chin, lifting her head up. Sejeong looks up, and their gaze locked. She leans in, giving the younger girl a passionate kiss. After the kiss she pulls Somi in, holding her in her arms.

 

“I Kim Sejeong will fight for Jeon Somi. This is only an obstacle that we have to go through, afterall, “The course of true love never did run smooth.”

 

“Jeon Somi!

Somi immediately stoop up when she heard her professor’s voice, “Yes, sir?”

“What are you doing? I’ve called your name not once, but thrice! Do you think its okay to day dream in my class?!” He hissed at Somi.

 

‘Way to go Somi.’

'Way to ing go'

 

Somi wasn’t really able to do anything but to stare at the ground due to embarrassment, the room became silent, screams from her professor was the only thing that can be heard, “After class, detention.” Her professor uttered.

 

“Wait, what?” Somi asked which made it seem worst.

Her professor flinched, “Didn’t you understand? I said DE.TEN.TION.”

Somi silently groaned. Seriously, detention because of that? That’s just cruel and ing unnecessary. But she couldn’t do anyways, it’s been a while since she got detention and it was in highschool, where she was still a rebel.

 

She didn’t have much of a choice but to listen to whatever useless lesson her professor teaches that we will probably never use in the real world. 3 hours felt like 3 years, the class finally ended, and guess who’s stuck in school? Somi.

 

“Dude, what were you thinking? You know you have to pay attention when Professor Smith is teaching.” Kyulkyung fixed her things as she scolds Somi.

Somi rolled her eyes, “I didn’t feel like listening to his Shakespeare .”

“Why is that?” Kyulkyung asked.

‘Cause it makes me remember that I don’t want to remember’

“I don’t know.” Somi answered, “And better hurry up, Nayoung is waiting for you.” Somi pointed at the door where Nayoung was leaning on.

Kyulkyung shoved her books in her bag, “I’ll be going now, have fun.” Kyulkyung throws Somi a teasing look before approaching Nayoung.

 

Somi doesn’t really know what’s going on with those two, she doesn’t know if they’re official or they just started dating, but she do know that Kyulkyung is happy whenever Nayoung is there, so she’s also happy for Kyulkyung even though their relationship doesn’t have a label, yet.

 

She grabs her phone and wrote a text message for her girlfriend.

 

To: Chaeyeon <3 [5:11PM]

Chae, I’ll be late. I got detention >:(

 

She patiently waits for her girlfriend’s reply but a few minutes had passed and she still hasn’t gotten a reply from Chaeyeon. She just shrugs it off, she’s probably still at class or she’s busy doing something. Chaeyeon and Somi doesn’t go to the university together, Chaeyeon actually wanted to transfer here but Somi didn’t want to, because she don’t want her girlfriend to waste her scholarship in her current university.

She leaved the room and walked where the detention room is. Every step she takes is heavy, she clearly doesn’t want to do this, she just want to go home and cuddle with her princess.

‘Blame yourself stupid, if you listened this wouldn’t happen.’

She sighed, Somi is currently in front of the detention room, and she lets out another sigh before sliding the door. It was empty, as expected. Getting detention in a prestigious university is shameful, so students behaved as much as possible. Somi is a good kid, don’t get her wrong, it’s just her professor might actually hate this half-Canadian girl.

She takes a sit (duh, what did you expect, her partying in this ty room?) There was a huge sign on the board, “No cellphone.” Just as she read the sign, her phone vibrates.

‘Yeah you.’

She takes her phone out, confident that no one will see her.

 

From: Chaeyeon [5:33PM]

Somi! Did you do something stupid? -.-

 

To: Chaeyeon <3 [5:33PM]

I’ll explain later, once I get back home, ilyyyy

 

From: Chaeyeon <3 [5:34PM]

You better >:(

 

I was about to type another text message when suddenly someone slides the door with so much power, making a loud ‘thump’ sound.

 

Somi’s brows furrowed “The ? Don’t you know how to slide door gently?!” Somi yelled at whoever the kid was, she was confident that it wasn’t a teacher since they don’t go here. She was in a sour mood, so the kid that will enter this room will taste hell, or so she taught.

 

Her heart stopped beating for a second when she sees who entered the room, her face showing no sign of emotions, her gray eyes piercing through Somi, her hands inside the pocket of her skirt – she looked so different.

 

“I don’t remember teaching you how to curse, my dear Somi.” Sejeong uttered her voice as cold as the day she left her.