Cool Off

Let You Go

Somi’s POV

 

 

“I’m so hungry. Hey, let’s eat something, pretty please?” Somi begged, her hands on her stomach and forming an adorable pout.

 

“Later, let’s finish this stupid research first.” Kyulkyung answered her attention still on the book she’s currently reading.

 

Somi couldn’t help but complain. Its weekend and she should be with Chaeyeon right now, cuddling with her and rewatching all their favorite movies, she shouldn’t be stuck here reading all the books in the world and failing on finding what she’s looking for.

Somi groaned her chin lying on top of the table as her eyes wandered around the library trying to find a little bit of motivation – no luck. Her eyelids became heavier everytime the clock ticks.

 

“Here, read this. Everything you need to know is written in this book.” 3 books were placed in front of Somi and Kyulkyung. Her voice made Somi’s eyes bolt open; her sleepiness and tiredness suddenly went away - falling to the abyss.

Somi didn’t move at all, her chin still on the table but her eyes not on the girl standing in front of them.

“Sejeong-ah.” Kyulkyung’s voice almost a whisper, shock written all over her face.

“Hey..” Sejeong greeted Kyulkyung. Somi turned her head to the right to see what’s happening between the two. Sejeong was looking at Kyulkyung with a small smile, but Kyulkyung was too shock to even smile or reply to the older girl standing in front of them.

Sejeong turned around; about to leave when she suddenly stopped and uttered something. “I missed you guys.” And immediately leaving.

 

If their attention wasn’t glued to the older girl they wouldn’t have heard what Sejeong said. Somi looked at Kyulkyung, but Kyulkyung was still looking at the place where Sejeong stood before leaving, a huge smile plastered on her face, and her eyes a little bit teary.

“Snap out of it, we have stuff to do, every second is precious.” Somi uttered, grabbing Kyulkyung’s attention.

 

Her friend looked at her before nodding; she grabbed the book that Sejeong gave them. Somi looked at the 3 books in front of her, pondering if she should take the offer or let her pride do its own thing once again.

She ended up reading the book that Sejeong gave them. It honestly made everything easier, everything they needed was written there like what the older girl have said. They stayed there for 5 hours in total, where it should have been 7 hours if Sejeong didn’t gave them the book.

 

Somi took a quick glance at her wristwatch revealing the time, 3:15PM. She stretches her arms, “Let’s eat?” Somi asked, turning her head to Kyulkyung whose busy fixing her things.

“Sure, where do you want to go?” Kyulkyung asked.

“Burgers, wait no, how about pizza?” Somi answered. Not really sure of what to eat.

Kyulkyung shook her head, disapproving Somi’s suggestion, “I’m sick of eating burgers and pizza, I always eat that when I’m with you, jeez.”

Somi pouted and crossed her arms, “You asked me, idiot.” She uttered.

“Yah, I’m not an idiot, it’s not my fault that I’m not addicted to burgers and pizza.” Kyulkyung said.

“What do you want to eat then?”

 

Kyulkyung placed her index finger on her chin, trying to think of something, “Ramen?” She asked, looking at Somi.

Somi froze for a second when Kyulkyung suggested ramen, “You don’t want ramen?” Kyulkyung looked at Somi who’s currently frozen; she waved her hand in front of Somi’s face trying to get her attention.

Somi snapped back to reality, “Ramen it is then.” Somi uttered before taking her bag and grabbing Kyulkyung’s wrist, she grabbed Kyulkyung out of the library.

 

-

 

“Ugh, when will the ramen come out? Kyulkyung, I’m hungryyy~” Somi held Kyulkyung’s shoulder before shaking her.

Kyulkyung pushed Somi away, “Jeez, Som how impatient can you be?” She grabbed the plate of kimchi and placed it in front of Somi, “Here have these, and stop complaining.” She scolded the half-Canadian.

“Yah, you’re expecting that a plate of kimchi is enough to satisfy my hunger?” Somi pouted, making Kyulkyung sigh in frustration.

“I can’t believe Sejeon- Chaeyeon unnie can keep up with you.” Kyulkyung uttered.

 

Somi noticed how Kyulkyung tongue slipped, but she just let it slide, “Leave my girlfriend alone.” Somi hissed at Kyulkyung.

 

“Whatever, child.”

“What did you just call me?” Somi raised her eyebrow.

Kyulkyung saw how Somi’s expression changed, so she decided to play along.

“Child.” She answered the younger girl.

“I’m not a child.” Somi protested.

“Kid?”

“No.”

“Baby?”

“What the hell Kyulkyung?”

“Fetus.”

“I seriously can’t with you, you’re so weird.” Somi uttered.

Kyulkyung smiled at Somi then her face suddenly became expressionless “I won, so can you shut up now?”

“You’ve been hanging out too much with Nayoung unnie.” Somi uttered.

“Yah, leave Nayoung out of this!” Kyulkyung furrowed her brows.

“Oh now you’re like that.” Somi smirked.

“Shut up-.”

 

“Two bowl of Miso ramen.” The waiter uttered before placing two bowls of ramen on their table, making both girls stop and stare, “Please enjoy your food.” The waiter uttered before leaving the girls.

 

They didn’t waste any second; they grabbed their chopstick and started eating. Kyulkyung stopped stuffing her face with ramen when she was half finished with it. Somi noticed her friend stopping.

“Hey, you need to eat more, but if you really don’t want it, I can have it.” Somi uttered.

Kyulkyung chuckled, Somi really loves food, “No, idiot. I just remembered something.” She uttered, making Somi stop and look at her.

“What is it?” Somi ask, curiosity found in her voice.

 

Kyulkyung stirred her ramen, before looking at Somi who’s already looking at her, “I remember how we’re forced to eat ramen because it’s Sejeong unnie’s favorite food.” Kyulkyung let out a bitter smile, “It’s just… I missed Sejeong unnie. I missed how her smile looked when we would go here.. I just miss her, you know?” Kyulkyung uttered.

 

Somi sighed, “Nothing last forever, Kyulkyung. We really can’t do anything at this point but to accept that she’s not coming back..” She held her friend’s hand, “Let’s get use to this, yeah?”

Kyulkyung’s bitter smile was replaced with a small smile, “Yeah, you’re right. We can’t always live in the past.”

Somi let’s go of Kyulkyung’s hand, they started to eat the already cold ramen, they talked about their past – cause why not right?

 

-

 

She opened their apartment door, feeling excited because she’s finally seeing her girlfriend, “Chaeyeon-ah, I’m home.” She stepped inside, removing her shoes and waiting for Chaeyeon to pop out in front of her.

“Chayeon-ah?” Somi called, still waiting for her girlfriend. But minutes had passed and the only thing that greeted her is silence. She felt disappointed, her shoulder dropped and her smile slowly faded away. She reached her pocket to grab her phone, she decided to text Chaeyeon.

 

To: Chaeyeon <3 [5:54PM]

Hey, where are you?

 

While waiting for her girlfriend’s reply Somi decided to change into something more comfortable, once she’s done she checked her phone to see if there’s a reply – none. She called and spammed Chaeyeon but still – nothing.

She waited for minutes - but minutes turned to hours - until she fell asleep.

 

Somi was woken up by a gentle tapping on her shoulder, she slowly opened her eyes and rubbed it, she looked up only to see Chaeyeon looking down on her. She takes a quick glance at the wall clock, 1:36AM.

“Where have you been?” Somi asked.

Chaeyeon rubbed her nape and sat down beside Somi, “I was out with my friends, but I think I had too many shot, and I kinda went crazy..” Chaeyeon looked down, unable to look at her girlfriend’s gaze.

 

Somi cringed when she smelled a whiff of alcohol assailed her nostrils, but she managed to ignore it, “You didn’t even tell me you’re going out.” She uttered, “And you drank..” She added, Somi’s voice at the last sentence was almost a disappointed whisper.

“Look I’m sorry, I wasn’t planning on drinking that much-“

Somi cut her off, “You could’ve told you know? You didn’t even answer my call or a single one of my text; didn’t you realize there’s someone waiting for you?!” She almost yelled, but she got control of herself.

“I’m sorry..” Chaeyeon uttered still looking down.

Somi stood up, unable to endure the smell of alcohol, “Sorry? I was so damn worried, you could’ve texted me and tell me you’re coming home late, so I wouldn’t be worried sick-“

“I don’t have to tell you everything, Somi. Just let me be once in a while, will you? You’re choking me.” She looked up and met Somi’s gaze.

Somi felt a painful pang in her chest, “What? Let you be?” She bit her lower lip trying to control her tears, “Sure! You know what? I’ll even grant you your wish right now!” Somi grabbed her coat and bonnet; she stepped outside their apartment before slamming the door shut behind her.

 

She ran outside, letting her feet take over, until she finds herself in front of the park’s playground. She sat on the bench admiring how the wind made the swing move, how the starless sky looked beautiful without even one freckle of stars, and there all her tears fell, making her cheeks a stream of tears. All she can hear was her own sobs, and the crickets that are in the area.

 

She was crying her eyes out, when suddenly she felt someone sat beside her, it made her jump in fear, and she whipped her head to the right only to be greeted by those cloudy gray eyes – those eyes that she once knew and loved, those eyes that made her heart go crazy. She looked away before those eyes get the chance to devour her.

 

Sejeong gave somi a handkerchief. Somi stared at the handkerchief as it looks familiar to her – ah that. She takes the handkerchief, on the bottom left of that handkerchief was Somi’s name, and yes it belongs to Somi. But she gave it to Sejeong, she tried to give it back to the younger girl, but Somi always refused.

 

“Stop staring at it, wipe your tears.” Sejeong uttered it wasn’t even a suggestion; it was more like a command.

Somi listened, she wipes her tears. Her tears and sobs stopped, filling the area with silence.

“You can have it, thank you for letting me use it for 4 years.” Sejeong smiled at the younger girl, her teeth showing and her eyes forming a crescent like shape, imitating the moon above them.

She clenched the handkerchief, “Your welcome.” Somi’s voice almost a whisper.

“It’s super later, I’ll walk you home.” Sejeong suggested, but Somi quickly shook her head.

“I don’t want to.” She uttered looking at Sejeong. “We need time to cool off.”

“Oh, your girlfriend?” Sejeong asked. Somi nodded as an answer.

“I think you need to talk it out.” The older girl suggested.

 

“Yeah, but not today.” Somi bites down her lower lip as she mentally prepares herself for the next sentence, “I’m giving her the freedom she asked for.” Somi bitterly uttered.

 

Sejeong hummed in response, “Want to stay at my place?”

Somi froze, unable to think of an answer or an excuse.

-----

Hello, thank you for reading :D