OO3. Reality

A Broken Doll

There were about two things that got Lu Han irritated. The first being when someone tried to take something that was his. The second being when he kept being pestered about things he obviously didn't want to talk about. Otherwise, it was rare to every see him angry. But right about now, he was ready to smack Yi Xing* upside the head.

"Admit it."

"No."

"Admit it."

"No."

"Admit —."

"Will you stop?!" Lu Han cried, throwing the TV remote control on the couch, emphasizing his frustration. While most would have jumped at Lu Han's sudden action, Yi Xing sat calmly, his arms folded across his chest, a knowing smile mocking his friend.

"You know I'm not going to stop bothering you until you admit it, right?" Yi Xing said, continuing to poke at Lu Han. Lu Han in turn rolled his eyes and tried to focus on the program on TV. Yi Xing wouldn't be Yi Xing if he wasn't being his typical, nosy self. So Lu Han did know that the pestering was not going to stop.

"Aw, c'mon. Why are you making this more complicated than it needs to be?" Yi Xing whined, giving Lu Han a slight push. Lu Han sighed, wondering himself why he was making a big deal out of it either.

"Alright, alright," Lu Han gave in, "I think she's cute, there, I said it!"

Yi Xing wasn't quite satisfied though, he just raised an unimpressed eyebrow. It was clear that he was expecting Lu Han to elaborate more on the subject of the girl they met yesterday at the dance studio. Or maybe he knew there was more to what he thought to her than just being "cute." Yi Xing was damn right though. Lu Han didn't think she was just cute. He didn't even think she was hot either. To him, she was beautiful. Totally indescribable.

He couldn't even speak when he laid eyes on her. Her eyes were the first things that caught his attention, but it wasn't because of their size, it was because they had more distinct edge to them than those "dolly eyes" Asians valued so much. They were dark. So dark, they looked like they were going to draw you in; a mysterious and slightly mischievous charm was obvious too. They looked knowing, as if they saw right through you, reading you like a book.

She wasn't perfect, but her face could absolutely count for above average. Pretty, but not completely flawless.

"Oh. My. God." Yi Xing slapped his hand over his forehead in disbelief and groaned. "Please, please, don't tell me it's that 'love at first sight' crap."

When Lu Han just looked away with guilt written all over his face and remained silent, Yi Xing groaned even louder. Lu Han just frowned. Yi Xing was very logic; he liked to weight every single option out before he made a decision. He was very rational but sometimes, Lu Han wished he could just lighten up a bit.

"So what?" Lu Han defended himself, though he did know why anything with her would just be a fantasy.

Yi Xing gave Lu Han a get-real face. He didn't like wasting his words but his friend didn't seem like he liked to face reality much. Or to grasp the concept that it was just not going to work out.

"Did you see what she was wearing?"

When Lu Han didn't answer, Yi Xing continued on. "How about her diamond earrings and necklace?"

"And her hair? Normal girls can't grow it below their shoulders, you know that."

Lu Han sighed and grabbed one of the pillows lying around and buried his face there out of frustration. Why did he feel so angry at Yi Xing? Maybe because he was right, especially about all the things he pointed out.

"Girls like her don't go for guys like us." Yi Xing told him right before he left to buy lunch.

But what if? All the impossible loves were from challenging society's belief that wealth should decide whether you could end up with one another. Even though, he knew it was near impossible, he swore that when he saw her, he could see his future quickly flash before him, her laughing, her smiling, and her crying. And yet, he didn't even know her name . . .

***

About week later, he had almost forgotten about that girl from the dance studio, just almost. He managed not to think of her too much and when Saturday morning came rolling around again, all he was really thinking about was food and dance practice with the group. Usually, in the morning he practiced alone thanks to Yi Xing whose cousin pulled some strings for them.

Lu Han walked past the maintenance rooms on his way towards the dance studio. He never paid much attention to those rooms, but as he stopped suddenly when he heard all this cluttering and clanging coming from the storages. Curious, he stuck his head in but found the biggest surprise. Ever.

It was her. At first, he didn’t recognize the girl from last week. Her long hair was pulled away from her face into a high, sleek ponytail. This week, her outfit was a lot more casual, fitting high end, sweat shirt and pants.

But what she was doing looked even more uncharacteristic.  The storage room had all sorts of desks, cabinets, tables, and chairs haphazardly stored there, arrayed in a mess. The place looked like a dust wonderland too, hardly a place for a girl of high status. Still, she was here.   And she was actually cleaning the dirty furniture?

“May I ask how long are you going to stand there and stare?”  She suddenly turned around, hands on hips, an amused expression on her pretty face.

“I . . uh. . I . .” Lu Han stuttered, his face flushing a bright, brilliant, red. Great, he made himself look like an even bigger idiot in front of her. But her laugh sounded more playful than mocking.

“Just help me move this, will you?” She struggled to move aside a huge cabinet blocking her way.

He sighed and shook his head out of amazement; did she really expect a small ballerina like her to be able to move something like that? He walked over and, with ease, pushed the cabinet over to the side.

“Psh, I could have done that myself.” She muttered as she picked up her paper towel roll and a cleaning spray. Lu Han chuckled. Cute.

“Uh, can I ask what you’re doing?” Lu Han asked as he leaned on the dusty cabinet, not caring at all if he dirtied his shirt.

“I got permission to take the furniture that the academy doesn’t want anymore.” She smiled to herself as she wiped the inside of a desk. “There’s so many schools down in the south provinces that don’t have proper furniture, so I thought I could clean them up and ship these to them.”

Lu Han’s heart melted.  This girl was real something. One moment she seems like the typical, rich girls, the next, she’s actually cleaning furniture for less fortunate schools? She was definitely beautiful alright.

“Here.” She threw another spray bottle that was lying around at him. “You’re going to ask to help, aren’t you? Well? We have a lot to do!”

Lu Han looked away, laughing. He was going to ask, but he was thankful she was the one suggesting it. Better get to work.

“Oh, and I’m Ke Xin.” She smiled and struck out her other hand that wasn’t holding a paper towel.

Ke Xin, what a pretty name too. It meant somewhere around the lines of elegance and a nice aroma.    

“Lu Han.” He smiled back, taking her hand and shaking it, not oblivious to the shock that passed between their hands.

Sorry Yi Xing, maybe he was going to fantasize a little longer. 



First off, shoutout to b2utyfulshawol! For the gorgeous poster, amazing background, and the recommendation <3 If you're looking for beautiful work or a poster, you HAVE to check out her poster cafe, seriously, click that link!

Second, thank you for all your support. Your comments make me smile and really make my day! 

*Yi Xing is Lay's real name

*When Yi Xing says that normal girls can't grow their hair below their shoulders, though middle school in East Asia, and I think high school in some areas, school girls are required to have their hair above their shoulders. 

Anyone else excited that Ke Xin and Lu Han have officially introduced themselves/made acquaintances?