OO1. A Song Without Words

A Broken Doll

 

"Stop. Stop." Mrs. Song put up her hands, emphasizing her want for her pupil to discontinue playing. She inwardly sighed, and pinched the space between her eyebrows, to calm herself down. She wasn't angry. Just a bit frustrated.

"Ke Xin, can you tell me what's wrong with the piece?" Mrs. Song asked, trying to make her student able to grasp what she was doing wrong.

Ke Xin stared blankly at her teacher, clearly not understanding what she had played wrong. "Not to sound disrespectful, Mrs. Song but I didn't see any mistakes in the piece. The notes were all correct. So were the timing, the phrases, and dynamics."

Even though she was frustrated, Mrs. Song smiled at Ke Xin, who was one of the best students that she had in years. The girl meant well and she was hardworking. Still, she lacked an important skill of a musician. Her piano pieces were always flawless. Never a wrong note, timing was in place, phrases nicely shaped, and dynamics just as good. But she couldn't feel the music. She couldn't feel it all.

"Look at the title of the song." Mrs. Song and Ke Xin obediently did so. She blinked at the words printed on the top of the music score wondering why her teacher would tell her to do that. Mrs. Song watched as Ke Xin's eyebrows knit together as she tried to figure out the reason behind her teacher's sudden request for her to read the title. Song Without Words was written big and clear and still the reason was still vague.

"What kind of feeling do you get from this kind of title?"

After more blinking and thinking, Ke Xin tried to come up with a right answer. "Something that can't be expressed with words."

"Right! Right!" Mrs. Song excitingly encouraged her student seeing that she was on the right track. "And what do some people have trouble expressing?"

Ke Xin thought about it for a second and without thinking blurted out, “Feelings?"

"Feelings! Yes! Feelings!" Mrs. Song's face lit up. "Feelings! With this song can you feel how Felix Mendelssohn felt? Like, sorrow ripping at his heart? How these chords sound so sad and wishing. This is also known as Regrets. You can empathize with him, right?"

"No."

Mrs. Song lost the smile on her face as Ke Xin stared as passive and blankly back at her. Mrs. Song was not the type to ever yell at a student. She always got the sweet, quiet ones who practiced every week without a problem. But this, she really wanted to rip her own hair out. How was she supposed to teach a girl how to feel?

"Well . . ." Mrs. Song suddenly thought of a way she could get Ke Xin to relate to the song, “You’re quite a pretty one, Ke Xin. I'm sure you've experienced first love and first heartbreak, right? Mendelssohn probably felt this."

Now, with a slightly amused face, Ke Xin answered calmly. "Please, Mrs. Song. I'm CAI CO.'s only daughter and heiress. I don't get fairytales. Just a list of suitors."

Mrs. Song shocked with Ke Xin's very curt response, didn't know what to say. She felt bad for bringing up feelings such as this. Of course, Ke Xin couldn't do things other teenagers her age could. She didn't know why Ke Xin was giggling about it though.

Ke Xin began gathering up her piano books and score sheets. She continued to chuckle at the thought of her being in one of those star crossed lovers’ relationship.

"I'm sorry, my child. I hadn't meant to bring up a sensitive topic." Mrs. Song apologized sincerely, though she didn't know whether or not if it was actually a sensitive topic for Ke Xin.

The heiresses smiled at her teacher without any hurt feelings, and toss her gym bag over her shoulder and clutched her books to her chest. Just then the performing arts studio building's automatic system bell chimed, signaling the end of sessions.

"Don't worry about it, Mrs. Song. I was born into this position, there's nothing I can do about it. I'll just do what I'm told." She smiled and waved goodbye. "See you next week!"

Mrs. Song watched as the heiress turned left, towards the dancing hall. The child was a perfect model of what every East Asian parent would desire. Yet, the old piano teacher felt like there was something lifeless and empty about the girl.