OO8. His Angel, His Doll

A Broken Doll

 

The first things Se Hun saw when he cracked his eyes open were pillows. Many, many pillows of all sizes but with the same shade of beige trimmed with a burgundy design. His head happened to be resting on the biggest and fluffiest one, ensuring him comfort. The matching, heavy duvet cover was snuggled all around him. It must have been the best sleep he's had in a while. He didn't want to change that so he tried falling back asleep.

But just as he was, he woke with jolt. This wasn't his hotel bed. No, the bed materials of the hotel weren't as lush, not as fancy. Looking up, he saw that this bed also had a beige, burgundy trim design canopy.

Se Hun quickly sat up, scanning his surroundings. He wasn't in a small hotel room anymore. It was a spacious room, with landscape paintings decorating the cream colored walls. Fresh flowers sat in a glass vase on the small coffee table besides an upholstered couch. Next to it were thick volumes of old books. Sunlight streamed in from the high, arched windows whose heavy, embroidered curtains have been drawn, giving everything in the room a morning glow. But what Se Hun found to be the most breathtaking was the girl who had fallen asleep in a wooden chair besides the canopy bed.

She had a quilt draped over her, obvious that someone had come and put it on her. A few strands of her long, raven black flew into her face. Her lashes rested so prettily on her cheekbones. And even though the expression on her face didn't look so peaceful, she was still so beautiful. In her sleep, she looked a lot more composed, opposite from the terrified, shaken expression she wore when she pushed him away from the bridge last night.

Oh right, Se Hun thought. That must be why he was here. His cheek flushed with embarrassment. He hadn't even thought twice about what he was doing. At the very last moment when he was just about to jump, he didn’t think anyone would care if he died. But someone did. A beautiful angel did.

Suddenly, the girl began to stir as the sunlight hit her face. Se Hun quickly got back under the covers, and pretended to sleep. He evened his breathing and closed his eyes but still opened them the littlest to peek at her.

As the girl groggily opened her eyes, she pushed the quilt aside, revealing that she was wearing a cashmere nightgown. She yawned, covering and gave a little stretch. How did she look so pretty, even with slightly messy morning hair? She looked expectantly at Se Hun and she reached over to brush his bangs out of his eyes, smiling gently as she did so. His heartbeat's pace increased.

He then pretended to start waking up, causing her to jerk away her hand. He rubbed the sleep away from his eyes and yawned. Se Hun continued his facade as he glanced around curiously. When his eyes landed on the girl, she smiled at him gently.

"Are you rested?" she had a slight accent to her Korean but otherwise, Se Hun understood her perfectly. He gave a little nod, still shy to speak.

"Then, freshen up, okay?" She pointed to the door behind her where a bathroom must have been. "I'll get some rice pudding with cinnamon. Would you like that?"

Se Hun quickly bobbed his head. He loved rice pudding, but still, the cat got his tongue. She was so much like a goddess that it intimidated him. But his savior just smiled and got up and walked out of the heavy, oak doors.

Even the bathroom was decorated and fancy. The wall tiles were engraved with impressive designs. The granite countertops were polished and gleamed with shine. Se Hun cautiously brushed his teeth, trying not to make too much noise because he enjoyed the stillness of the morning. He washed his face and wiped with the small, linen towel that was folded neat next to the toothbrush.

As he sat back down on the bed, he heard her footsteps. The door opened quietly, and closed just as quietly behind her. She was carrying a tray, with two white bowls, two spoons, and a cinnamon shaker. Se Hun sprung up to help her but she was able to set the tray down on the coffee table before he could do anything.

"Why don't you stay in bed?" She suggested, "You can eat breakfast there." He did as she instructed, still mute.

She shook some cinnamon into their bowls of rice pudding then bought the tray over to him, taking her’s off along with a spoon.

At first, Se Hun cautiously took a little taste of the pudding but found it to be very good so he began to eat it faster until he noticed the girl watching him with an amused face. He coughed awkwardly, scolding himself for forgetting his manners in front of this pretty girl. But she didn't seem disgusted, she just laughed. Se Hun noted with wonder how her laugh sounded so melodic.

"Isn't it good? I made it myself." She declaimed with pride as she ate a spoonful of it.

"Y-yes." Se Hun timidly replied. He didn't know why he seemed to be so nervous in front of her. Nervous in the good way. Like he was a bit anxious, a bit happy. Something he hadn't felt in a long time.

"So, Se Hun, if you don't mind me asking, how old you internationally?" She casually inquired, while Se Hun broke a tiny smile at her straight forwardness.

"I'm turning 14 soon." He then blurted out without thinking. "How old are you?"

"17 internationally in September, I'm getting old aren't I?" She laughed again, her dark eyes turning into half-moons.

His angel was three years his senior. Se Hun's shoulders deflated a little at the thought. She did look older than him. He was a small, scrawny thing. But all the older girls always told him he was just adorable looking.

As they ate in silent, they both knew why the air was suddenly tense. Neither one of them wanted to bring it up first. The whole incident from last time still gave Se Hun shivers. She had already been so kind; he thought it was only right for him to address it first.

Clearing his throat awkwardly, he uttered a thank you. "If it hadn't been for you, I probably would have been . . . been . . ." His inability to finish his sentence was proof enough to show that he honestly hadn't been thinking straight, that he hadn't really wanted to die drowning.

"It's alright." She smiled softly as she patted his hand. "Depression has grown to be quite normal in the adolescent lifestyle."

"Yes, but no other car actually bothered to stop." Se Hun sighed, which caused her smile to fade. "What did my parents say when you called them? I'm sure you did call them."

Her pretty face clouded when he asked. She seemed angry and sad, a little bit of both. "W-well, your father, which I'm assuming he is, just said that you rest up and be back before --- "

"I want the exact and real thing he said." Se Hun sighed again as he stared down at his bowl that was half-way finished.

She sighed as well then recited. “ ‘I don't give a damn, just make sure he ain't dead. He better be back before Monday morning or we'll leave the brat here.' "

Se Hun nodded. Now that actually sounded like someone his dad would say. While she stared at him with sympathy, he looked back up at her with a brave smile. "Well, at least he wasn’t swearing with you."

"Do you need someone to talk to?" She asked as she took his hand and patted it. He slowly nodded as the lump in his throat was becoming hard to swallow. Tears were starting to come out like a waterfall as well.

He let out a whole four years’ worth of pain. She listened attentively and not even once interrupted him. And that was exactly what he needed all this time. A good listener and a shoulder to cry on.

His family life was filled with joy for ten years. Until the day when his mother passed away because of a car accident in effort of protecting him. His father, who loved his mother so much, couldn't forgive him for being the reason why his mother died. Neither could Se Hun. Drugs and alcohol became regular in his father's lifestyle, causing him to act so much more violently and unpredictably. He then got involved with Se Hun's stepmother who was a complete witch. His stepmom hated him with a passion and every moment she had, she would abuse him verbally only because she almost got caught beating him.

They had decided to go to China for vacation when his stepmother kept begging to see her favorite Chinese singer, Jay Chou performing in Beijing. Yesterday, they were going to be gone the whole day so Se Hun just grabbed his wallet and his jacket without a well-thought out plan. In the rain, he was in despair. He didn't understand the point in living if he was to endure this for another four years. Conveniently, he was walking along a bridge when those thoughts popped into his head. He thought he would be relieved of all this suffering. Se Hun would be able to see his beloved mother again. But at the last moment just as he was ready to say goodbye to his life, he was praying that someone would stop him. Next thing he knew he was being thrown to the ground by an angel sent to save him.

"Oh, you poor thing." His angel leaned into hugged him. When she did, he noticed how warm and safe she felt. "But don't ever think of doing something like that again, okay?"

When Se Hun weakly nodded after wiping his eyes, she didn't look so convinced by him. Then something seemed to pop into her mind. "Wait, I have something to give you." She quickly got up and left. With the same speed she left, she came back, this time with something in her hand. It was a Rubik's Cube.

At first he was confused but then she began to explain.

"Se Hun, do you have anything you like to do? A dream?"

"I like dancing." He blurted out. Honestly, he didn't do anything extreme well. He was decent in dancing but he wasn't really looking forward to pursuing a career that concerned dancing.

"Oh, that's great. I'm a dancer as well." She smiled as she held out the Rubik's Cube to him. "But if you're not sure yet, I guess this cube can still be of help to you."

"Huh? A Rubik's Cube?"

"Not just any Rubik's Cube." She jokingly huffed, indignant. "This one is special."

She continued. "Look at the gold rose on the red side. You see that? Well, red is the color of luck and protection." She paused for a dramatic effect. "So this will give you luck and it'll protect you too."

For some reason, Se Hun was being coaxed by her pretty words.  He didn't believe in things like luck but somehow when he held the heavier than usual Rubik's Cube in his hand, he was beginning to believe it too.

"It'll protect you so you can't ever do that again!" She cutely shook her head.

Se Hun smiled. She was really something. How did she do it? How did she make happiness out of thin air?

She then took the cube out of his hands and began to mess up the perfect Rubik's Cube, twisting and turning it. Se Hun watched as she held it back out to him.

"Life is just like a Rubik's Cube. It might look pretty to have a perfect, non-problematic life." She gave it another twist. "But, after a while, it gets boring. When you mess it up, you have to put it back together, but then you have to mess it up again. You know?"

Se Hun nodded with understanding. This was the cycle of life, either the times were hard or peace, they would pass and eventually he'll move on to another period of his life. All he needed was some patience, perseverance, and a steady stand to get through.

"Good," She closed his hand over the Rubik's Cube. "This is a promise to me that you won't ever do that again. A promise that you would get through this. A promise to find a dream and chase after it, okay?"

"Promise."


***

Se Hun inwardly laughed with delight when he saw that his angel had finished speaking with his parents. They were pale in the face, and looked utterly scared while she looked a lot different than the girl she displayed herself to be that morning. A fearsome, stony face replaced the gentle one. She was all business, not ready to take a crap from anyone.

"I'm sure you two are familiar with the CAI family brand." She smiled without kindness at them. "One phone call and I can take everything away from you. If you ever mistreat Se Hun, I'll have no mercy. And I'm a woman of my word."

Stiffly, they bowed and went back inside the hotel to retrieve the luggage to leave. Se Hun stayed because she wanted to have one last talk with him.

"Se Hun-ah, if you need anything, please call this number, alright?" She put a piece of paper into his hands and patted his hand closed. She smiled gorgeously, soothing out his long, boyish hair.

"It was nice meeting you." She patted his cheek one last time as she got into her car.

Se Hun was frozen. He wanted to say something to her. Anything. To express how grateful he was to her. To tell her how his heart beats when she looks at him. To tell her he wouldn't forget her. Only when the car began driving away did he ran after it.

"Wait, wait." He called, hopelessly thinking that the Range Rover won't possibly stop. But it did. His angel rolled down her window, a concerned look on her face.

"I-I think I know what I want to do." He said only because he didn't know what to say. "A dancer, I'll become a star!"

She smiled lovingly again. "It's a promise then? You'll become big and appear on TV?"

He nodded fiercely with determination. "But you promise you'll find me after I become big?"

"I pinky promise." She held out her pinky finger from the car window. Se Hun tip toed a little and locked his pinky around her's.

"I never got your name either."

"Ke Xin. Cai Ke Xin."

***

 

“Hello, can I help you?” A petite, middle age woman greeted Lu Han as he pushed the door to a very girly looking store.

Lu Han didn’t want any help finding Ke Xin a gift but he didn’t want her to think that he was trying to get something for himself either.

“No thank you, I was just looking for a present for my . . .” Lu Han could have said friend so he didn’t know why he said, “Girlfriend.”

She smiled and nodded, returning to the opened gossip magazine on the counter.

Lu Han mindlessly wandered around the store for a while only because he didn’t have a clue what she might want. She had a pretty face and shiny hair so beauty products were definitely not an option. He was sure she had a closet full of expensive clothes and shoes. What could you possibly give to someone who had it all?

He passed shelves lined with facial creams, masks, and washes. Even more with makeup products. Most of the clothes didn’t seem like things Ke Xin would like to wear either.  Lu Han sighed as he ran a hand through his long hair. This search was starting to seem hopeless. But just as he was about to give up, something caught his eye.

He came upon a glass case. In it were dolls, porcelain dolls. There must have been at least twenty of them but a specific one stood out to him. It had long, shiny black hair that framed so perfectly around its face. The doll’s dark eyes were mysterious and alluring. Even the little smile looked oddly familiar. Yi Xing would have probably called him crazy but he didn’t really care. He was just happy that he’s finally found a present.

“Would you like to take a look at the dolls?” The lady from the counter asked as she came over to the glass case.  

“Yes, that one please.” Lu Han smiled as he pointed to the Ke Xin lookalike doll. She unlocked the glass with a small key, and carefully opened it. She was even more careful as she handed the doll over to Lu Han.

“Usually, I don’t leave customers alone with delicate items but you seem like a cautious one.” She smiled politely at him then patted his shoulder. “Your girlfriend must be a lucky one.”

“Thank you.” Lu Han quickly bowed to the lady, making sure to keep a firm grip on the doll so it wouldn’t happen to slip out of his hands.

With a smile, he examined the doll closer, satisfied with himself for finally picking out something for her. He could hear Yi Xing’s voice right now, telling him how stupid he was for going out of his ways to get something for a girl that he had only known for a short period of time. Lu Han had gotten him some with an animal print so he didn’t have much to about. That boy loved his animal prints.

“Lu Han da ge!” A squeaky voice scared him from behind. Lu Han would have dropped whatever he was holding in his hand if his grip wasn’t so firm on the doll, but fortunately it was so he was able to release a breath of relief.

“Hi MiMi.” He knew it was her from her slightly unbearable voice and her signature perfume that was too strong and made him want to gag. She looked like she was shopping for Christmas presents as well judging from the few shopping bags she had with her.

She giggled, her textured pigtails bouncing on her shoulders. Lu Han looked at her outfit with some confusion. Wasn’t what she wearing, exactly what Ke Xin was wearing the first time they met? It was soft red capelet jacket paired with a plaid skirt. She was even wearing the same gray knee socks and brick red flats as Ke Xin.

“Is that for me?” She pointed at the doll Lu Han was holding in his hand. She looked so delighted that Lu Han felt a little tinge of guilt when he was about to tell her it was not.

“It’s for Ke Xin.” He suddenly broke out into a wide smile at the mention of her equally pretty name. For moment he forgot that the person standing next to him was MiMi, someone with a crush on him. Lu Han realized how mean of him it probably was to mention Ke Xin and MiMi’s tense jaw only added on.

“Oh.” Her lips tightened to make what looked like a crooked line. “That’s nice. You two must be getting quite close.”

“Yeah, we are.” Lu Han shrugged, again, he realized that he was probably making an insensitive move.

She waited while he paid for the doll at the counter. Lu Han could feel MiMi’s anger build up as she watched the lady carefully wrap the doll in newspaper and put it in a bright red box. As she put the last finishing touches like wrapped a bow around the box, Lu Han wondered why girls got so scary over their crushes getting things for other girls.

After he thanked the lady and left, MiMi was ready to explode.

“Please tell me you don’t honestly like Cai Ke Xin!” She stomped her foot. She stopped trying to keep her cool, and was letting all the hateful feelings out.

Lu Han had a limit to his temper too. He didn’t like how MiMi asked that question with disgust in her voice. In fact, he didn’t even like the way people asked incredulously if he liked her. What was so wrong about that?

“Yeah,” Lu Han frowned at MiMi, “I like her.”    


 

Woot! Woot! C'mon people, give me props. I got an update in before Wednesday, aren't I awesome? Haha. Well, I've been pretty inspired after reading all your supportive comments. 

That's the end of Se Hun's cameo for you guys. Is that the cries of Se Hun/Ke Xin rooters I hear? Serious, is there anyone out there who might, maybe possibly like these two? Don't worry all of you will come back running after we get past this predebut phrase! I know it!.  What? I didn't say anything! You heard nothing!