O17. Nothing to Worry About

A Broken Doll

 

“Lu Han! Kick it! Kick it!”

 Ke Xin could hear Yi Xing scream from across the soccer field. The twins were getting up from their bleacher seats so Ke Xin lifted her eyes from the flash cards she had in her hands to stand with them as they excitedly cheered for Lu Han.

Lu Han was quick on his feet. He navigated the soccer ball smoothly around one of the defenders, doing a trick play as another one tried to steal the ball from him. With the coast clear from defenders, Lu Han had a second to score. The goalie didn’t look like he was about to let Lu Han score that easily either. At first, Lu Han made it look like he was going to blast the soccer ball into the left side of the net, even lifting his leg high enough to look like he was going to kick it with all his strength. The goalie fell for the bait, driving to his left just as Lu Han changed the direction of this foot, shooting the ball directly into the net with a thwack sound.

There was a lot of cheering after Lu Han had got his team the winning goal. The twins cheered from the stands while Ke Xin clapped and smiled proudly. Inside she felt slightly guilt missing the majority of the game while she tried to multitask between studying and watching.

As Ke Xin went to pick up her flash cards from the bench, Jia Li gave her a disapproving look, “Ke Xin, don’t try to spread yourself too thin. Maybe, you should study in a more quiet area.”

Ke Xin just shrugged and smiled at her friend’s concerned suggestion. “It’s okay. I can focus with all the noise. I wanted to watch Lu Han and Yi Xing’s soccer game anyways.”

“Did I hear the names of the winners?” Yi Xing came skipping up the stairs of the stands, grinning widely at his and Lu Han’s recent victory.

“Taking my credit.” Lu Han joked, giving Yi Xing a slight push on the arm.

While Yi Xing tried to argue with the twins that he really did help Lu Han throughout the game, Lu Han approached his girlfriend, giving her a big, sweaty bear hug.

“You were great Lu.” Ke Xin smiled as she tried to wipe some of the sweat off his face with some tissues she had found in her purse.

“Psh,” Lu Han laughed, “Says the one who was glued to her flashcards for half the game.”

Ke Xin’s cheeks colored a little with embarrassment, “Sorry…”

“Why are you even apologizing? Seriously, I heard that American test you’re taking, the SATs or something, are stressful. You should be studying instead of coming to watch me.” Lu Han gave Ke Xin’s hair a little ruffle, while she sighed. She didn’t even know why her teachers insist that she’d take this test. They said it’d increase her chances of an acceptance from a prestigious American college.  

“Still…” She dragged, wiping Lu Han’s forehead, “You want go get ice cream as a reward for that awesome fake shot? And a sorry for not watching your entire game?”

“Sure.” Lu Han smiled. He really needed something to cool him off from that game and from the summer heat.

Ke Xin went on to ask her friends if they wanted to tag along and get some ice cream with her and Lu Han. But as Yi Xing perked up, Jia Li elbowed him in the rib and told the two to go on ahead without them.

“Ouch, what was that for?” Yi Xing rubbed his side after Ke Xin and Lu Han left hand-in-hand to get some ice cream at a nearby café.

Jia Li rolled her eyes, “You do realize you’ll just be a third wheel and a er if you did go with them, right?”

“But I want ice cream. C’mon, let’s go get ice cream!” Yi Xing whined, jumping up and down on the spot. When he continued to whine, Jia Li sighed and looked to Jia Yi for advice. When her sister simply shrugged, Jia Li gave in.

“Alright, alright. Let’s go.”

“Woo!” Yi Xing started sprinting down the bleachers. Jia Li chuckled, grabbing her tote bag and began to walk down the bleachers after Yi Xing. When she noticed that Jia Yi wasn’t following, she turned around just in time to see her twin with a dazed expression and shiver even though there wasn’t the slightest breeze.

“What’s wrong?”

“I don’t like it.” Jia Yi replied as she picked up her own bag from the bleacher seat.

“Don’t like what?”

“This bad feeling I have. Happy times don’t like to last too long without giving us something dreadful. I feel like something’s going happen.”

“You’re just being paranoid,” Jia Li tried to reassure her sister who just nodded absentmindly, “C’mon, let’s catch up with the others.”

But what Jia Yi had said bothered Jia Li for the rest of the day. The summer was beginning to end and it had been one the most fun summers Jia Li had had with her group of friends.  To be honest, she was starting to get the feeling too that these happy times were not going to last.  But she didn’t want to jeopardize anything so she tried to shove these thoughts out of her mind. She had nothing to worry about. 



 

 

 

(A/N) Hello lovely readers, if you haven't noticed I've gone through a name change :D If you want to know why, go read my blog post because I don't feel like explaining it now. 

Also, 've cleaned up the foreword and description. What do you guys think? ^_^

And I'd just wanna let you know that some of the updates are going to be delayed by summer school. But eh, whatever. I get paid to go to summer school :P Not even joking, I legit get paid to go for five weeks, four days a day, and four hours a day. That means $200 at the end of five weeks (woot woot, shopping spree at the end of summer :3).