O1O. A Chase, A Journey

A Broken Doll

Ke Xin drew her hands together behind her back. Her dominant right hand squeezed her left with anxiety and nervousness. If she wasn't confining them together behind her back, she would have ready been chewing them down to the numb. Nail biting was gross, that she agreed with. But more so she wasn't ever allowed to show fear. Why? 1) She was Ke Xin, always the calm, collected one no matter what happened. 2) MiMi had her gloating, best I'm-sure-I've-already-won face on. 3) Madame Lu Hee was gazing over all the girls' faces trying to read their expressions, the teacher's own unreadable. How could one not be wacked out when their dance instructor was about to announce the lead of the Winter Ballet Recital?

"It was not a difficult decision to pick our lead." Madame Lu Hee said frankly, her criticizing eyes scanning every one of her students' ashamed expressions. "It should have been more difficult but, I guess a lot of you girls have fallen off the right track."

Then she smiled warmly, something she did rarely. Lu Hee only saved it for proud moments, and Ke Xin really hoped that she would be the pupil that her teacher was smiling about. Lu Hee began to walk down the lineup of her ballerinas.

"Some did poorer than others," Lu Hee continued to walk on. "Others were better than most."

Ke Xin's heart dropped when she saw that Lu Hee had stopped right in front of MiMi when she said that. MiMi held her head higher, a smug smile already forming. The Wang Twins on either sides of Ke Xin shifted uncomfortably as well. But Ke Xin stood still, refusing to show some kind of upset feeling over MiMi's victory.

"But . . ."

Ke Xin’s eyes snapped back into focus at Lu Hee's spoken conjunction. 'But' meant that there something more right?

"One," Lu Hee did a graceful slide down the lineup from MiMi to a pokerfaced Ke Xin, "Was the best of them all."

Her fellow classmates clapped for her achievement, some dejected, and others sincerely happy. While Lu Hee clapped and smiled with pride, Ke Xin smiled shyly with humbleness. She really hoped her smile didn't come off as boasting. What was really happening beneath her cool exterior was a hot explosion of feelings. Ke Xin had gotten the lead of the senior ballerinas' Winter Ballet Recital!

"What?!" MiMi suddenly demanded, stomping her feet. She was becoming famous for that. Everyone stopped in their small celebration and congratulating to watch her abrupt tantrum. "Why is everything her? Why do you favor her, Lu Hee?! It's not fair!"

Everyone gasped. Including Ke Xin. None of the students addressed Lu Hee without using her respected title of Madame in front. It was probably one of the worse things to do. The next to worse was screaming at their teacher and questioning her decisions.

Though Madame Lu Hee's eyes hardened, her facial expression didn't change. No anger, nothing. Instead she walked away from the lineup and then spun around to look at the group as a whole again. When she turned around, she asked, "Do you think you deserved it instead, MiMi?"

There was a silence.

"Ah, of course you do. A lot of you do." Lu Hee crossed her arms over her black leotard. "Most of you must think I like Ke Xin the best as well."

More silence.

It was starting to become more of a guilt trip than anything. Ke Xin couldn't really stop the feeling of guilt as she watched a tinge of jealousy flash across her classmates' faces. Even the twins, just for a nanosecond, had worn it.

"Take off your shoes."

Everyone but Ke Xin looked around confused. Ke Xin knew where Lu Hee was going with this. She prayed the Madame wasn't going to do what Ke Xin predicted.

"I said to take off your shoe." Madame Lu Hee pressed once more, but in a harder tone. MiMi did more looking around until she realized Lu Hee's gaze was on her. "Yes, you. You've changed into your normal clothes so I'm sure taking off your shoes isn't going to be a problem."

Everyone watched as MiMi took off her silver flats — ones, Ke Xin couldn’t help but notice that was the same kind as hers but in a different metallic color. MiMi's toes weren't in the best condition. They were a little beat up, some toes bruised here and there.

"These are the toes of a dancer. You should be quite proud of these roughed up feet." Madame Lu Hee announced. It was puzzling really. Was their teacher trying to praise or scorn MiMi?

"But . . .” There goes the famous conjunction.

"Ke Xin, please let us see your toes."

Ke Xin froze. Lu Hee really was going there.

At first Ke Xin hesitated. She herself couldn't look at her toes. How could she show the whole world if she wouldn't even look at them? Even when Ke Xin gave her a pleading look of protest, Lu Hee looked back with firmness and confidence.

Slowly, Ke Xin bent down to peel her golden Kate Spade flats off her feet. There was a loud gasp that sounded throughout the studio as a pair of gauze wrapped toes appeared. On the area on the gauze above her right big toe was a fat, crimson blood stain. New and fresh, most likely from a reopened toe cut. The skin area surrounding her gauzes was a purplish green, all swollen and such. Ke Xin winced even though she had gotten used to the pain. What she couldn't get over all these years was the inability to wear open toed shoes and the excruciating pain when she had to wear heels.

"This," She gestured to Ke Xin's horrendous feet, "Puts that to shame." Madame Lu Hee pointed to MiMi's feet.

"These are the true feet of a dedicated ballerina." She looked around solemnly while everyone else was still staring wide eyed at Ke Xin's toes. When Lu Hee opened , Ke Xin knew what she was going to ask her to do.

"No," Ke Xin shook her head before her teacher could utter a word, "I refuse to take the gauzes off."

Lu Hee nodded, respecting Ke Xin's wishes. She continued on, "These toes aren't something to take pride in, they deserve more than the meaning pride provides. These toes belong on stage. Which stages?”

"They belong in the Royal Opera House in London. In Broadway in New York City. In the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg. At the Théâtre de Châtelet in Paris." Madame Lu Hee ticked off the names of the most prestigious performing stages in the world. Ke Xin felt flattered. She could only dream of being on one of those stages amongst the most skilled prima ballerinas.

"Toes are an indication of a ballerina's dedication, devotion, passion, and love for her art. The prettier your toes, the less they're regarded by the ballet standards."

Ke Xin's classmates once again looked down in shame. As scary and harsh Madame Lu Hee was at times, Ke Xin still was really affectionate towards her teacher. She was almost comforting Ke Xin about the state of her toes but she did it in the most subtle, spike covered manner. Lu Hee really did care for her students, even if she refused to use anything besides tough love.

"Now, MiMi, do you honestly believe you deserve this position more than Ke Xin even after you've seen the difference in your toes?"

MiMi had her head bowed. But Ke Xin wondered if it was in bitterness of defeat or actual shame. When she didn't answer, Madame Lu Hee said in a stern voice, "I asked you a question, MiMi."

"No, ma'am. I think Ke Xin fully deserved it."

MiMi was sincere. Ke Xin could tell by the tone and change in her voice. Ke Xin knew she shouldn't, but she somehow felt sympathy for her. How did it feel like always being overshadowed by someone? Of course you would come to despise them. And it wasn't just MiMi Ke Xin overshadowed. It was everyone else in her class.

Just then, the automatic bell chimed, signaling the end of sessions. With the wave of her hand, Lu Hee dismissed everyone. The girls sluggishly moved to get their bags, recovering from the chiding they just received.

"Ke Xin, stay behind, I need to speak to you." Madame Lu Hee commanded. She turned towards the twins, "Go on ahead."

With a bow to Lu Hee and a worried look directed to Ke Xin, they left along with the other girls. Once alone, Lu Hee seemed to relax a little, the steel expression she wore was off.

"I don't think you like beating around the bush and neither do I."

"This is about Lu Han, isn't it?" Ke Xin made it so that her voice's tone and evenness matched her teacher's. No one beat her in frankness, and just that beginning sentence was already beating around the bush.

Lu Hee nodded, "I see you've and my little brother have already become a thing —"

"But we're just really close friends." Ke Xin interrupted

Lu Hee waved it off, "Nonsense, he never really paid much attention to girls so you're different."

Ke Xin remained silent and heard her teacher out.

"Since you're of importance to him, could you try to convince him? Convince him to returning to the business?" For once, Lu Hee sounded like she was pleading. "I mean, this dancing dream of his is ridiculous, that's why the family didn't support him. I believed that it would just be a phrase he was going through, but it unfortunately wasn't."

Ke Xin turned over the idea in her head. No wonder Lu Han was so down to earth even though he was from a background with money. It impressed her even more that he was rebel, willing to throw things aside to chase after what his heart desired. After doing all this, was it really right of Lu Hee to be asking for him to just simply return to the family business? No, definitely not.

"If I were to give my honest opinion about this situation, would that be alright? Do I have permission?" Ke Xin requested. Lu Hee nodded.

Ke Xin sighed. "I don't think I want to or that I'll be able to change Lu Han's mind."

"And why is that?" Lu Hee's eyes narrowed in interest, not anger.

"He's carving a new road for himself. It takes a lot of faith in your destination to try and pave a new road. After putting so much work in clearing a way towards your destination, isn't it too much of you to try to put debris on the route to make the path harder for him?"

"But if it is a matter of destination, wouldn't it be easier to try to go further down a route that is already created and cleared for you?" Lu Hee asked, almost if she was asking herself that question.

 

Ke Xin smiled. She shook her head. "No, it’s not the destination but the journey that matters."

She grabbed her bag and patted her teacher's shoulder lightly. "Those that believe in going in the easier direction are too scared to follow their dreams into the unexplored woods."

Just as she turned around towards the door, she could have sworn she saw a flash of messy, dark brown hair. Hair that looked quite like Lu Han's.

***

"Wow." Yi Xing sprayed chip bits over the couch when he spoke with his mouth full. "She actually said all that?"

Lu Han smiled and nodded with the same admiration for Ke Xin that caused Yi Xing to stop eating in his tracks. Could she get any better? She didn't sound at all disgusted that he wanted to pursue dance. Not at all.

"Dude, I take it back. You should totally go for her!" Yi Xing pushed his best friend's shoulder. "How are things between you two anyways?"

"I have her number and we text —"

"Woot!" Yi Xing shot up, causing Lu Han to drop the remote control and the potato chips in the glass bowl to spill over. "You move faster than I expected!"

Lu Han laughed. First, his friend's ing about liking Ke Xin and the next, he was fully supportive. Just a fantasy, huh?

***

Ke Xin: How would you feel about coming to a ballet recital?

Lu Han raised an eyebrow as he read the text but still, he replied back.

Lu Han: Depends, do I have to see my uptight sister?

Ke Xin: You may, or you may not. But the important thing is that I'm going to be the lead role in the recital.

Lu Han: Hmm . .

Ke Xin: I only have three tickets for friends and family, so make your decision quick or I'll give away your ticket!

Lu Han: Fine, I'll go. But you gotta answer one question.

Ke Xin: Deal.

Lu Han: What kind of flowers do you like?

Ke Xin: Purple lilacs, why?

Lu Han: You’ll see ;) 



 

(A|N)

I dare someone to look up the meaning of purple lilacs. I dare you! Lol, I didn't know it had that meaning and I realized how relevant it was to the story . . . of luck?

On a more personal note, D'OHMYGOSH. Guises, I just went to the orientation of the technical high school I was accepted into (yes, I'm going to be a freshman in Sept. ◔◡◔). Anways, my local high school is one of the lowest rated of the state and is a hell hole that I would refuse to attend even if you threathen to kill me not that great... so that's why I applied for one of the specialized technical schools of my county. Or more like I want to get away from the idiots of my school and town. It's called High Tech High School. One of its titles is The Governor's School of Excellence (...seriously, I'm not joking...). Well anyways, when you apply, it's almost the same way you apply for colleges. you fill out an application and you have to submit a profolio of your skills pertaining to the major you listed yourself for. Oh yeah, we have majors (like college) that we stick to for two years until junior year. I'm a Art major, a studio art major. Yes, I'm an artist and I might even have manwha/manga sketches of Ke Xin, Lu Han, and Se Hun that I could possibly post. 

I was scared! I had to go through the mall area (somewhat like a mall) of the school that was like more of a cafe than a cafeteria. The glares from my future upperclassmen was unnerving! One sophomore looking dude pasted by me with his friends was like, "At least this freshie's cute." I couldn't really say if that was flattering or not because I don't know if he was being sarcastic or . . ? 

I already love the school. It's going to be such a challenge, I can just feel it! But maybe that's just typical freshmen feelings? I was trying to look for my older brother (who got accepted three years before me) in the mall area since he said it'll be his lunch period when I have my orientation. But I didn't find him ;___; My gege's such a meanie. Him and his friends seem to come in as overachiever and now have a serious case of senioritis. Lol. Maybe I should say junioritis since he's only a junior . .  

Sorry for rambling but I'm just so excited >.< Imagine! A school of other overachievers and competition *_*  

Oh yeah, and I love you guys for being so supportive ^_^