r e n e g a d e

r e s t r i c t i o n
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] r e n e g a d e [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

Mingyu grimaced as he pulled out the brightest article of clothing he owned, which was a two piece suit in a blinding white. He wouldn’t wear it if he didn’t have to, but unfortunately, he did. 

Yesterday, there had been an announcement across the town that a renegade had been discovered and was now up for public execution. Mingyu wondered what led the person to commit the act of betrayal to their partner. Was their partner boring, and that’s why they cheated? Did they have a fight? Or were they like Mingyu, partnerless and just wanting to escape the feeling of isolation?

He examined himself in the mirror. Too perfect. It was a shameless thing to say, but anyone could tell you that Mingyu’s looks were above average. Right now, even in this horrendously flashy suit, he still looked fashionable.

Mingyu dragged his feet to the execution square in the center of the town. Attendance was mandatory for everybody in the district, unless you were on your deathbed. So here he was, about to witness another death firsthand.

The perpetrator was tied to a stake, fear plastered on his face as he waited for his doom. Mingyu knew he shouldn’t feel sympathy for a wrongdoer, but the man was so young, barely even 20, and now he would never live to see beyond those years.

Mingyu felt someone’s eyes on him and scanned the crowd, and found Jisoo gazing at him. When their eyes met, Jisoo gave a shy smile before looking down, averting his gaze. Mingyu noticed that the hideous white ensemble made Jisoo look even purer, and resisted the urge to walk up to him and stand beside him. 

By the looks of it, Jisoo came alone as well, since he wasn’t talking to anybody, just looking straight ahead. He looked slightly nervous, but that was understandable. Death was no light matter.

His ministrations were interrupted when a loud horn blew across the square, silencing the murmurs. Everyone’s attention turned to the executioners, who were lined up, ready to fire.

“We are gathered here today to witness the end of another renegade. This filthy being has tainted our town’s purity by committing an act of adultery while already being marked. His partner was an unmarked person, so they will be left to their own devices. However, this individual will now be sentenced to execution.”

The crowd watched as the executioners aimed their guns. Mingyu didn’t want to watch but couldn’t look away as they pulled their triggers, each one finding its mark as the man tied to the pole screamed before taking his last breath. Immediately, the crowd erupted into applause. It was eery, the way they all clapped but not a single smile could be found among the audience.

They were dismissed and Mingyu turned away. He noticed Jisoo was still staring at the dead man tied to the pole, whose lifeless head was drooped over. Mingyu approached Jisoo cautiously.

“Hey,” he said in greeting.
Jisoo’s eyes snapped up towards Mingyu, his attention resurfacing. “Oh, hi Mingyu,” he said softly, his gaze slowly trailing back.
Mingyu smiled back at him. “Don’t look at it for too long.” He motioned to the mess in the town square. 
Jisoo nodded, looking back at Mingyu. “Sorry, it’s been a while since I’ve witnessed one.”
“Yeah.”
Jisoo’s eyes flitted to the ground. “I should get going, my partner is waiting for me.”

Please log in to read the full chapter