The Training

Blood and Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Donghae entered a very dark room. No light could be seen from inside it. It was already morning, but if he would just be honest. It was a morning that he didn’t feel like getting up. Oh, who was he kidding? Ever since he laid his feet in The Lair and knew the grim news of being Lost Anima’s leader, mornings in Seoul felt like a burden to him. If he had the choice, he’d rather sleep for eternity. “Is there no li-”

 

Suddenly, the whole place boomed with light. He thought the room looked like a university gymnasium with the shiny wooden floor and just how spacious it is. Although basketball ring or bleachers were missing, and stuff in action movies that he never dreamt of experiencing welcomed him.

 

“Go on.”

 

He heard Dara spoke behind him. Donghae started walking inside, his eyes roaming from one side to other. He’s sure sports enthusiasts may enjoy this room, but certainly not him. He gulped so hard as he stared at the boxing ring on the left side. Seriously. What did I get myself into?

 

“Follow me.” He heard Dara, and followed her as she walked towards a big red punching bag in the corner. They stopped near the two ladderback chairs near the wall. “Do you know how to punch?”

 

He looked back at her, then immediately spun around, with widened eyes. She was about to lift her black shirt up, and the gentleman in him could not believe she’d do that without any warning. “Huh?” That was all he could say.

 

“Do you know how to punch?” Dara walked near the punching bag. She was wearing black sports bra and black tights. She took her heels off and was barefooted, looking at Donghae, waiting for his answer.

 

Ah. She’s wearing that. Donghae shook his head, feeling embarrassed over nothing. “Yes.”

 

“Have you ever punched a person?” She asked.

 

There were lots of times in the past that Donghae got involved with a fight, but that was with him just receiving all the physical attacks. He knew too well how it was like to be bullied, but not once he fought back. He did not want to lie, but he didn’t like to look lame too. “Y-yes.”

 

“Really?” Dara asked flatly, not believing him for a bit.

 

Donghae just nodded.

 

“Okay.” She tied her hair on a top ponytail. Donghae was looking on the white walls beside them. He could not look at Dara any longer because of some skin that she was showing. It was truly making him uncomfortable. “Punch.”

 

He looked at her. “This?” He pointed at the punching bag. He was wearing a blue shirt and gray jogging pants.

 

“Yes. A simple punch should be a good start for you to warm up and learn how a leader lives his life.”

 

Donghae did not ask anymore questions. He took a step back from the punching bag, raised both his hands and gave it a strong punch. He peeked from side to ask her reaction.

 

“Can you punch using your right then left hand?”

 

“Sure.” He said. Donghae punched again using his right hand, then left hand, although his left was weaker.

 

“Again.”

 

Punch.

 

“Again.”

 

Punch.

 

“Again.”

 

Punch.

 

“You call that a punch?”

 

Donghae stopped and peeked again. “What?”

 

“You won’t even injure a kid with that.” She said uncaringly.

 

Now, he felt insulted. “That was a strong punch.”

 

“Really?” Her face looked bored as ever.

 

Donghae raised his hands again, and punched the thing, swaying it for a bit. He peeked again. “Is that okay now?”

 

“You are weak.”

 

Donghae straightened his back, and put his right hand on his waist. “Do you know how to punch?”

 

Dara swiftly hit the punching bag that it smacked harshly Donghae on the face. The man staggered back for a bit as he covered his nose with both hands. That hurt! He looked at her with widened eyes.

 

“Now, punch.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Good morning, lideo. My name is Lalisa.” A girl with full bangs, black and medium length hair assisted Donghae to sit in the couch of the library. “You can simply call me Lisa.”

 

She is cute. He thought. He just bowed back, but could not look at her in the eye. He would not forget that face too. She was there when merciless people in black assaulted him and his thing down there. They kept on scrubbing and pulling hair in all places. Remembering it makes him want to tear up.

 

“I’ll teach you how to speak in different languages.” Lisa smiled sweetly to him.

 

“Lisa can speak thirteen languages.” Dara spoke behind him. “She’ll help you master some important languages used in the business.”

 

“D-different languages?” He asked. What for?

 

“A leader should know how to speak at least six languages.” Lalisa replied, as she sat and opened a book.

 

“Six?”

 

Dara, who sat quietly across the table spoke. “Your brother, Minho, speaks English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Thai, Spanish, Italian, French, German and Russian.” She paused, looking at his dumbfounded look. “All fluently.”

 

Seriously? “Wow.” He gulped as his eyes fell on the stacks of books in front of him. “M-my Korean is good.” He tried to smile.

 

“That’s not counted, lideo.” Lalisa smiled back.

 

“You have a month to learn at least six languages.” Dara said in a monotone voice.

 

“A month?!” Donghae said out loud. You’re crazy. He thought but did not dare say that. “That’s . . .” He chuckled in disbelief. “That’s impossible.” He swore he could already feel a migraine coming in.

 

“It will be very useful for you at The Bartering.” Lalisa began to say. “Different mafia groups from all over Asia will come. Other Western countries will also visit you from time to time. They will not be speaking Korean. You have to be eloquent and prepared, leader.”

 

Now, he’s nervous. Back in the zoo, whenever there were foreign visitors, he would always hide and pretend to be doing other things just to avoid the chance of having a conversation with them. It was Seunghoon who would try to in their conversation without really asking or wanting his presence. “B-but,” He bit his lower lip. “Can’t I have an interpreter beside me?” He tried and smiled at Lalisa.

 

Lalisa really found him bizarre. He’s really different from Lee Minho. She thought. Putting all the brutality and ruthlessness on the side, Lee Minho is a genius of his own. When he was seven, he could already speak five different languages. He oozed with so much confidence when he was alive. His words were the law. He’s wise and yes, a head-to-toe trickster too. Now, observing Donghae who was looking at her like a puppy lost in the most dangerous forest in the world, she could not help but wonder. How is this man going to lead us all? “I’d gladly help, but I’m sorry, lideo.” She bowed politely. “You cannot have an interpreter all the time. There will be closed meetings where Blackbloods cannot be present.” She asked herself how on Earth is he going to manage that too.

 

“Ahh.” Donghae nodded, feeling disappointed.

 

“Let’s start with the basic.” Lalisa beamed a smile, meanwhile, Dara just sat there quietly, staring at the red carpeted floor of the library room. “How is your English?”

 

“English?” He glanced at Dara who wasn’t even looking at him, then back to Lalisa. “G-good.”

 

“Okay. Great.” Lalisa felt energized. She had to help him become the leader of Lost Anima. “You already know the basics. Let’s try it with a simple conversation.”

 

Donghae straightened his back from sitting and inhaled.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Lee.” Lalisa spoke in English. “It’s been a long time since we last saw each other.”

 

Donghae bowed in hesitation. “Y-yes. We are.”

 

Lalisa stared at that, then smiled. “How is your grandfather?”

 

“Good.” Donghae nodded with a smile.

 

“How are you handling the business?”

 

“Okay.” He nodded again, still wearing that nervous smile.

 

Lisa waited for any addition. There was none. “Will there be changes that will happen under your regime?”

 

Donghae creased his brows, then said, “Okay.”

 

Lalisa almost dropped at him. Dara already raised her eyes and looked at him. “Uhm.” Lalisa shifted from her seat and smiled. “Let’s do translation. I will say it in Korean, then you will translate it in English.”

 

Donghae nodded at her again.

 

“Lost Anima will surely remain on top in all the years to come.” She said.

 

Donghae surely wanted for her to repeat that. He was raking words in his mind. “Lost Panama . . . Anime . . .” He creased his forehead, trying to remember it. “Anima . . . uhm. Is . . . was . . . is . . .” He finally decided while pointing a finger at her. “Is high on,” He paused. “Now and forever.” He breathed evenly and smiled.

 

Lalisa closed and looked back at Dara for help, but the latter only lowered her head. Lisa gave him a very awkward wide smile as she pushed the books to the side and tapped her pencil. “Let’s uhm . . . Let’s start with nouns. Shall we?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae and Daesung stood in The Lair’s huge vacant space. It was cemented, and there were orange safety cones placed all over. “Have you ever driven a car?” Daesung smiled, as they watched a gray Jaguar F type stopped in front of them. A blackblood got down and bowed to them. He gave the key to Daesung.

 

“No.” Donghae replied, without tearing his eyes on the car. It was his first time seeing a sports car in his entire life. It was indeed striking and intimidating.

 

“That’s okay. Today, you’ll learn how to drive.” Daesung smiled and opened the side door beside the driver’s seat.

 

“What?”

 

“Yes. You always have your drivers with you, but there will be times that you may want or need to drive alone.” Especially in escaping or some sort of shooting. He didn’t add that anymore.

 

“But-” Donghae was worried that he would wreck the car. It looked brand new and so expensive! “Isn’t there any old car that we can use?” He asked. “This looks-”

 

“It’s okay.” Daesung offered a kind smile, before sitting inside and closing the door. Donghae hesitantly walked to the driver’s seat, made a sign of the cross and sat inside too. He closed the door and looked at Daesung. “Now, the basic thing in learning how to drive is adjusting the vehicle. It’s important that you are comfortable. The seat is adjusted to your height. You look at the mirrors. This is the rear view mirror, those are the outside mirrors. You adjust them like this.” Daesung showed him to adjust the mirror and the seat. “Your feet should comfortably reach both pedals.” Donghae followed him. “Good.”

 

Donghae nodded with a smile. He thought that maybe he’d enjoy this.

 

“Minho doesn’t like seatbelts, but-” Daesung was beginning to say but stopped when he saw how Donghae quickly grabbed and tighten his seatbelt. “Of course, it’s important for beginners.” Daesung took his seatbelt, although he wasn’t used to it either. “I’ll wear mine too.” But somehow he thought he needed it today. “Now, look down there.” He pointed below.  “They are foot pedals.” Donghae looked at them intently while trying to absorb everything. “That right one, the smaller one is the accelerator. Press it down, the car moves. Press it harder, the car moves faster.” He pointed to the left. “The left one, the bigger one is the brake pedal. Press it down. The car slows down. Press it harder, the car stops. Am I clear?”

 

“Y-yes.” Donghae nodded. He closed his eyes to remember. “Left, go. Right, stop.”

 

“No. No. No. No.” Daesung pointed at him. “Left, stop. Right, go. Okay?”

 

“Ahh.” Donghae nodded again. “Left, stop. Right, go. Okay.” He repeated.

 

“Yes. Remember, you should only use your right foot in using the pedals. It is much safer. Your left foot just stays on the car’s floor. Oh. You’ll get it.”

 

“Right foot.” Donghae noted that.

 

“Your hands should be holding the steering wheel firmly. Not too much force but it has to be firm.” He pointed at the thing. “This is the steering wheel. Your hands should be at the 9 and 3 o’clock position.”

 

Donghae creased his brows. What time now?

 

Daesung saw his confusion and guided his hands. “There.”

 

“Ahh.” Donghae was now holding the steering wheel.

 

“This is the power or ignition button. Press it-” Suddenly, Daesung’s phone rang. He looked at it.

 

Donghae followed the instruction and suddenly the car began to move forward. “Oh.”

 

Daesung ended the call when he felt that they were moving. “Wait. You always start with your foot on the brake, because-”

 

“Brake.” Donghae panicked as the car moved. His right foot quickly reached for the right pedal, and the car moved faster. “Oh no.” They could hear the traffic cones being hit as they moved forward rapidly.

 

“Wait. That’s accelerator.” Daesung pointed at his foot, while holding on the handle beside him. “Stop!” Daesung’s left hand went to the steering wheel.

 

Donghae’s hands left the steering wheel, and raised them in surrender. He thought Daesung wanted to drive. “Okay!”

 

“Don’t take off your hands on the wheel!” Daesung panicked even more when Donghae grabbed the wheel again and they turned harshly to the left th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter