Wish upon a star

Against All Odds

"Look at the stars. The great kings of the past looked down on us from those stars. So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you. And so will I." -Mufasa, The Lion King

 

~

 

 

Jihoon woke up with a smile on her face, could this trip get any better? It was their last day of vacation and after that, back to reality. Everything was falling into place, she could not believe that she confessed to Seungcheol and Seungcheol confessed to her too. It truly a magical moment. Jihoon got up and looked at her phone. She received a text message from Seungcheol....

 

From: Evilcheol

Morning :)

 

To: Evilcheol

Why are you up so early?

 

From: Evilcheol

Cause I'm excited to see you....

 

From: Evilcheol

Let's have breakfast together....just you and me....us.

 

 

Jihoon smiled, she never imagined that she would be able to see those text messages again. She squealed in excitement. Jihoon got up from her bed and went straight to take her shower. While she was showering, she still couldn't believe it. Jihoon looked like an idiot, smiling and laughing at nothing. Jihoon is really in a very good mood. She stepped out of the shower, humming to herself. She looked at her clothes and she felt disappointed. Why did Jihoon didn't brought something nice? She asked herself.

"Maybe Sohye has something...." Jihoon looked at the bunk and Sohye was not there. Jihoon frowned but she still went to Sohye's clothes and looked for something "cute" to wear. Sohye has a lot of cute clothes and all of them suited her. You could let Sohye wear rags and she would still be able to pull it off cutely. Jihoon picked a spaghetti strapped dress. It was simple really, she didn't want to really prepare for their date, if that's a date....Jihoon wouldn't know.

 


~

 

          Seungcheol patiently waited for Jihoon. He couldn't believe what's happening. It was like a very beautiful dream. A dream that everyone wanted to have. Everything was perfect. Seungcheol saw Jihoon, approaching from afar. He smiled at the thought of seeing her everyday....the fact that they could be together excites him. They said that if two past lovers could be friends, it's either they never loved each other or they still love each other. Seungcheol didn't believed in that. The idea was ridiculous to him. How can two lovers be friends, it was absurd but then he realized that, it could be true. That past lovers could be friends....they could even be together, once again.

"Hi." Jihoon greeted with a smile. Seungcheol greeted her in return. They went inside the restaurant, together. They ordered their food and talked to each other for hours. They ate and it was obvious that they are happy with each other. Jihoon and Seungcheol reminisced about their past. They avoided some topics, especially the one with their break up. There are things better left unsaid or talked about. Those topics would ruin the perfect atmosphere. When you're with your loved one or having fun, you fail to realize how time flies. Jihoon and Seungcheol failed to notice what time it was. Both of them enjoyed each other's company....it was where they truly belong, in each other's arms.

          "Seungcheol...." Jihoon called out. They where now walking at the beach. Seungcheol held Jihoon's hand.

          "Yes....woozi." Jihoon blushed at the mention of that name.

           "Uhm, after we broke up....did you....did you....have..."Jihoon couldn't organize her thoughts. She didn't know how will she react to the answer to her question. For a second there, she regretted why she asked him that question.

Seungcheol laughed....he laughed at Jihoon. Jihoon pouted, she wasn't expecting that Seungcheol would just laugh at her like that. She was about to walk out when Seungcheol stopped her by hugging her from behind. Seungcheol placed his chin on Jihoon's shoulders. He tighten his hug to Jihoon and Jihoon was surprised by the sudden antics Seungcheol had been doing.

          "About your question....yes..." Seungcheol said while looking at the beautiful horizon in front of them. Jihoon was already expecting that....a man like Seungcheol, would never be vacant. Jihoon could feel Seungcheol's strong arms around her. Jihoon fits perfectly in Seungcheol's arms, much to Seungcheol's liking. Seungcheol lowered his hug and hugged on her stomach.

"But..." Seungcheol continued, "those girls were only dates....I have never had a girlfriend after you....you're still the one for me, always have and always will....you may not be my first but I told myself that you'll be my last...." and with that Seungcheol kissed the back of Jihoon's head. Jihoon felt butterflies in her stomach, she blushed so hard....it was a good thing that she was not facing Seungcheol or she would die of embarrassment.

          "How about you?" Seungcheol asked....hoping for a good answer.

          "Hmmm....I never entertained anyone....you were my last...."Jihoon confessed. Seungcheol smiled at the thought of him being Jihoon's last.

          "Not...even Mingyu?" Seungcheol asked....

           "Not even Mingyu." Jihoon confirmed and Seungcheol smiled. It was a truly beautiful moment, a memorable one and it made both Seungcheol and Jihoon happy. Finally they were in each other’s arms. Jihoon felt her phone vibrated, she checked her phone and it was a message from Hani....

 

 

One new text message
From: Hani

Jiji, we have a problem....it's about your mom.

 


~

 


"Mom...." Jihoon looked at her mother who is resting in the hospital bed. She took a deep look at her mom as if it was the most precious thing in the world. Jihoon is fund of gazing into people's eyes. It's because, it's in the eyes where you can see the person's real identity.


"Hmmm." Solar hummed. It was music to Jihoon's ears. Solar is really good when it comes to music. She taught Jihoon everything she knew about music. She would loved to see Jihoon perform one day on stage.


          "What do you think the stars look like?" Jihoon asked. Solar smiled. As ridiculous as it sounds, Jihoon had never been annoe to see the stars. Solar is sick and therefore needed complete bed rest. Jihoon, being the caring daughter she is, always accompanied her mom. For her it was enough that she is with her mom. Solar is the only happiness Jihoon has in this cruel world. Solar was the only one keeping her sane in this insane world. Solar is her life, her very beautiful mother. Her mother who, despite being sick, manages to show her big bright smile.


          "I....I think....it's very beautiful." Solar said while smiling. Jihoon had always admired the way that her mother smiled.


          "How beautiful it is?"  Jihoon who is beside Solar asked with curiosity. Solar caressed Jihoon's long soft pink hair.


          "Why don't you go outside and have a look." Solar said. Jihoon looked up for a moment, contemplating whether to leave her mom or not.


          "Nope. I don't want too." Jihoon said and hugged her mom really tight. Solar laughed at the sudden antics of her daughter.

 

          "Why not?" Solar asked.

 

"Cause, I want my first time to see the stars is with you, mom. Someday we'll get out of this hospital and we'll go stargazing. We'll even have a bonfire this big." Jihoon said with innocent eyes and hand gestures. Solar laughed.


"Until that day comes, I won't leave you just to see the stars...so you better get well soon mum, you're not getting any younger." Jihoon joked. Solar nodded.


"Okay."

 

Jihoon woke up with a tear in her face. She wiped her face. You were really that sick, huh mom. Jihoon thought. If only...if only, I have known...Jihoon started feeling dizy and her vision started to blur.


When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are

"Mom!" Jihoon said. Solar looked at her daughter.


"I want you to close your eyes." Jihoon said.


"Why?" Solar asked curiously.


 If your heart is in your dream                                                                                                
No request is too extreme.                                                                                                  When you wish upon a star.                                                                                                    As dreamers do


          "Just do it." Jihoon demanded. Solar closed her eyes. She could hear Jihoon stumbling into some furniture and then suddenly the lights were off. On cue, there were a few small lights...Solar opened her eyes, She was amazed on how the room was decorated with Christmas lights that looked so beautiful. She scanned the room and saw....in the middle of the room. Her daughter holding a jar full of paper cranes with various colors. Jihoon walked closer to her mother.


Fate is kind                                                                                                                             She brings to those to love                                                                                                    The sweet fulfillment of                                                                                                        Their secret longing.                                                                                                               Like a bolt out of the blue                                                                                    
                Fate steps in and sees you through

 

              "Mom, I know this isn't what stars looks like, but this will do for the meantime. Cinderella said that when you wish upon a star, your dreams would come true and I read somewhere that if you made 100 paper cranes and you give it to someone, that someone gets one wish...I'm giving this to you and I'll make a wish under these stars that you will heal fast. I love you mom." Jihoon said and hugged her mom.


"I could never ask for a more perfect daughter." Solar said teary eyed.


"Mom, I'm your only daughter." Jihoon laughingly said.


When you wish upon a star                                                                                                  Your dreams come true      

 

 

Jihoon went to the room, crying. Her eyes swollen, face looked so stressed and tired...she looked horrible. Jihoon approached her mom who was laying down on the bed.

"Mom...." Jihoon said as she sat down. She looked at her mom and held her hand.

"It's gonna be alright....Jihoon, she'll wake up...." Hani said trying to comfort Jihoon.

 

 

 

 

Author’s note:

 

italic ones are flashbacks, :)