Prolouge

Against All Odds

 

Jihoon opened the door. She went in and quickly sat furiously at the chair. It was evident in her face that she’s upset and is pissed at something. Mingyu, who's in the kitchen, went out and was surprised to see Jihoon there. He almost threw the hot pot. It was a good thing that his grip was tight enough to secure the pot. “How many times do I have to tell you to close the door? Are you a caveman or something? I’m positive that you have a door in your apartment.” Mingyu said whilhe carefully placing the pot on top of the table.

Jihoon quietly got up and closed the door. “See…now what’s your problem?” Mingyu asked Jihoon while getting some plates and silverware from the cabinet. “I got fired…I’m officially jobless….again.” Jihoon said while dropping her head on the table. Mingyu wasn’t surprised at what Jihoon had said. He sat beside Jihoon. “As expected of you…you have quite a talent for being fired from a job.” Mingyu said while caressing Jihoon’s back. “You’re not helping.” Jihoon whined as she looked up to see Mingyu. “Well, it isn’t something new. Everyone knows that you can’t last long on a job. You don’t have a stable job and always gets fired for almost everything. That’s not a good record you know.”

“I know…but do I have a choice? All of my bosses are and always makes me do things that are either illegal or too impossible…it is so frustrating.” Jihoon said and messed her hair. Finding a job was hard enough for her…staying on the job is impossible for her. “Mingyu I don’t know what to do anymore.” “Relax, you’ll find a decent job soon enough…that wouldn’t be illegal or impossible.” Mingyu tried to reassure Jihoon. If there was an award for trying almost all jobs and getting fired for less than a month then Jihoon would probably won first price. She tried almost all of the jobs out there. She tried being a cook even though she was bad at it. A waitress and got fired for arguing with a customer. A babysitter but lost the child and eventually lost her job. She tried working at the cashier at a convenient store. A preschool teacher but got fired because the principal wanted something that Jihoon couldn’t and wouldn’t give. She was also accused of e by her co-workers and they were shamming her even though they have no evidence. She even tried being a taxi driver. It will be a big help if Jihoon would at least last a month with a job but that never happens.

“Did I did something wrong on my past life? Tell me Mingyu….was I a bad person?” Jihoon asked. She was desperate for an answer and Mingyu tried his best not to laugh. “How should I know? I wasn’t even born at that time.”

“Maybe I killed a royal member of a family before….please forgive me, forgive me for all the wrong things that I have done in the past and in the future.” Jihoon said in no one in particular.

“Oh come on, I’m sure you didn’t killed someone in your past life.”

“How sure are you that I didn’t?”

“Aish! Just believe me okay…you didn’t killed someone in your past life.”

“Hmmm….don’t tell me you are like Yoo Eun-Soo from Faith or Hae Soo from Scarlet Heart Ryeo…they both travelled back in time and…Ouch!” Jihoon said while caressing her head. Mingyu had hit her head.

“You watch too many Korean Dramas.” Mingyu said.

“Well, what am I supposed to do…with all my free time.” Jihoon said still caressing her head.

“I don’t know…look for a job.”

“It is easier said than done.”

“Look..” Mingyu said while putting food on Jihoon’s plate. “Life isn’t a bed of roses… life is a wheel, sometimes you are in the upper side. Full of happiness, it’s as if nothing could go wrong. You are happy and contented with your life. You get everything that you want and dreamed off but there will come a time where you will experience the down part of the wheel. Where you can’t see anything good happening in your life. Where you become depressed and unhappy but you should always remember that nothing is permanent in this world. Right now, you may think that you are the most miserable person on earth but there will come a time that you will be the luckiest person here. Just be patient, work hard and pray hard. Who knows, maybe your fate would change.” Mingyu added. Jihoon paused for a second and said,”the food is delicious.”

“Did you even listened to a word I said?” Mingus shouted. Jihoon started laughing “Of course I did. Hahahaha I just wanted to see your reaction.” Jihoon said and smiled at Mingyu.

“What will I do with you?” Mingyu said.

 

“Let’s eat.”

~

“Mingyuuuuu,” Jihoon called out his name at the top of her lungs.

“What is it this time?” Mingyu asked Jihoon lifelessly. He was so tired from work and he really wanted to sleep but unfortunately Jihoon was there.

“I’m gonna treat you out for a barbecue because…I got an interview,” Jihoon said ecstatically.

Mingyu rubbed his eyes. “You got an interview?” Mingyu asked wide eyed.

“Yes yes yes…this baby just landed an interview.” Jihoon said while pointing at herself.

“Really?” Mingyu couldn’t believe. He slapped his face to make sure that he was awake.

“This is not a dream dummy. I will soon have a job so what are you waiting for? Let’s go.” Jihoon said and grabed Mingyu’s hand.

“What job are you applying for?"

"A secretary at a company.”

“Okay….good luck.”

“Thanks.” Jihoon said. Looks like fate has given her one more chance. Her destiny is finally changing. She has full of hope. She just wish that she would last at the her newly found opportunity …secretary…..how hard could it be right?