Chapter 9

The Sun that never Withered

Chapter 9

 

 

5 years later,

 

“Chiya~!”A sturdy loud voice, that belonged to a young man, galloped away on his horse down a dry road that was miles away from the main capital city in Zhao State.“Chiya!”

The horse had thundering hooves, as it galloped down the dry road. Its nostrils distended and its tail flagged side to side with the wind. You could clearly see the muscles ripping from its legs, and it's ears pricked as it pranced quickly.

Chiya!” The young man held onto the reign of his horse tightly, making sure not to pull too tight, in case the horse gone crazy.

He had been traveling for the last 3 days, trying to get to Zhao State’s capital city. The night soon fell and he had stopped to rest for the night near a river stream; since he was only a day away from his destination. He tied his horse to a tall and thick tree while he began a fire in the middle of an empty area. He had gone on a hunt earlier and captured a rabbit for his dinner.

He was dressed in a dark colored robe with his hair tied into a clean bun on his head; he looked oddly familiar.

As the fire flashed in front of him, it revealed his face. It was Dong Boran, Weiting’s friend who was returning to the main capital from the western boarders of Nuning City. He waited until the rabbit was fully cooked and smiled. Feeling hungry, he then picks the meat off the rabbit and places it into his mouth, chewing it down his throat.

It was delicious.

Suddenly he heard a loud echoing cry from the left where the forest sat and stood from his seat. He roamed his eyes around the area but saw no one in sight. It was too dark to tell if it was human or not.

Ahhh!” The cry was heard again just before he was to take his seat.

Like a busy buddy he always is, Boran places his dinner down near a rock to the side and steps into the forest to see what it was. He slowly approaches through the bamboo trees in the dark, trying not to trigger any trap that was set up for animals by villagers nearby.

Ahhh!” The voice screamed again, this time Boran made it out to belong to a woman.

Boran quickly moved and searched the area in the dead of the night. He knew it was impossible to locate the voice and whom it belonged to without some kind of light, but he never gave up. He was thinking it might be the spirits of the forest, but then also thought, what if it was someone in need of help? He ran and ran and finally approached a large wolf like beast that was a few feet away from a young woman on the ground.

A wolf? Here in the forest near the Capital? Impossible?

Boran flinched in quickness, and without hesitation, he swung the whip at his right-side waist-- striking the wolf in the head. He leaps over and bends down to the young woman.

“Are you okay?” He asked her as he froze in front of her, trying to keep her protected by the large wolf.

“I…. I’m fine,” She replies and pulls herself from the ground into a sitting position.

Boran noticed her left arm bleeding through her cotton robe as she held her right hand over the wound.

“Stay here, I will take care of this wolf.” He told her and she nods in agreement.

Boran looks back to the wolf who was still standing a few feet away from them. He whips out his black leather whip and begins twirling it towards the large hairy animal. He whipped a few times onto its head and scars it in the left eye finally.

The wolf howls in a cry that left a chilling sensation down Boran’s spine. It was injured. It kept wailing in a loud echoing howl as it felt the sharp pain gushing through its eye. It begins to growl a dark and heavy tone under its muzzle like teeth.

The wolf was angry! It decided that it wasn’t going to step down easily and begins to run towards Boran’s cowering body. Just then, before the wolf could get any closer than it already was, the young woman who was behind Boran a few feet away shakes her head slowly and blinks her eyes three times. A glowing reflection from her eyes stops the wolf suddenly.

The moon had reflected a light from her eyes that shot right into the wolf's right eye.

The wolf huffed and puffed and noticed the light from her eyes. Boran was too busy focusing on the wolf that he never even knew she had stopped it (with her eyes). She hinted the wolf to leave the premise with a wave to her head, and the wolf growled one last time before it turns to leave the area.

Boran takes in a deep breath and refines his body gesture. The young woman blinks one more time and her somewhat glowing eyes disappeared. She then pretends to be the victim again.

“Are you okay?” Boran asked her again as he runs over to her side, “You’re bleeding,” He looked at her wound.

“I’m fine,” Her voice was very soothing and calm, especially after what she just went through.

Boran rips a piece of cloth from his dark colored robe and ties it around her left arm gently. “There, that should help stop the bleeding.” He said with a soft smile. “Let me help you get up,” He grabs her right arm and pulls her up from the cold ground.

“Thank you so much,” She thanked.

She was dressed in a dark purple cotton gown-robe with anevergreen colored sash tied at her slim waist. She had her hair tied half up in a bun with one jade hair pin holding it together, while the bottom half of her hair rolled onto her back like butter. She had beautiful brown, rounded shaped eyes with a pair of define eye brows. Her lips were colored and full, with pale looking skin tone.

“You…” He peeks at her, “What is a young woman like you doing in the forest in the dead of the night?” He asked her, feeling uneasy and releases her arm.

“I…” She looks down to the ground and then back up to his eyes. “I was looking for herbs earlier today... But before I knew it, the sun had went down. I was on my way back home, but I lost my way.”

Boran nods, “I see,”

She tried to keep herself stationed, “… Do you know where this place is?” She played it off like she was lost.

Boran looks around the area, “Oh, this place is the bamboo forest. It’s 12 miles away from Zhao State’s capital city.”

Zhao State?” She whispered.

“Yes, are you from the city?”

“No,” She replied. “I live in the hills near the dense forest.”

Boran didn’t ask any more questions, “It’s dark now and there are dangerous animals lurking in the forest… If you want, you can spend the night with me at my resting area over there.” He points over in the distance, “… I’ll take you home in the morning.”

It was too dark to see the path to send her home right away, thus he asked for them to sleep there for the night.

“Hao,” She nods her head.

“I’ll lead the way. Follow me,” He said and walks away first.

For the night, the young woman and Boran slept near the fire in the empty space, and before they realize it, the morning came. Boran opens his eyes as he releases a breath and pulls himself from his sleeping position near the large tree trunk where his horse was tied at. He rubs his eyes to take away the blurriness and noticed the young woman gone.

Where did she go? Did she leave back home already? But the sun hasn’t risen yet.

Boran didn't remember much of what happened last night expect for the large wolf attacking the young woman, which was weird. He felt like something else happened, but couldn't remember it. He shook the feeling off and begins packing up his stuff and made sure the fire pit was extinguished completely before heading back to the capital.

 

Dong Manor;

 

 

“Young master Dong,” A servant boy greeted him at the door way of the Dong Manor.

“Feed my horse and give him a wash.” He handed the reign to the servant boy after hoping off the horse.

“Yes sir,”

Boran had been back home for 2 years now, after being stationed in Muban for 3. He walks through the door way to his family’s resident and there a young woman came walking into the yard.

Welcome home Young Master Dong,” Her voice was so sweet, it gave him goosebumps.

She was well dressed in a light blue silk robe with a white sash tied at her waist. She also had long silky hair that was done in a simple way with sharp mono lid eyes and pink tinted lips. She was Boran’s younger cousin, Yang Lushi.

“You’re still here?” Boran teased and pauses as soon as he saw her. “I thought I remember telling you to leave last month.” He points his finger and laughs. “No matter how much you sweeten your voice, you’re still not allow to stay here.” He adds as he walks pass her towards the main hall.

“… You,” She points her finger for a moment. Her attitude changed quickly, “Forget it,” Her voice turns deep and she follows him into the main hall. “I’m not leaving.” She crossed her arms as she comes to a stop as Boran turns to face her.

 “Your parents will blame me for keeping you here.”

“I don’t care, I ran away from home! You’re my Piao Ge (older cousin)— so you’re in charge of taking care of me.” She gave a sassy attitude.

She was still young, naïve and of course she had a crush on Boran. She had also ran away from home, now hiding in his resident.

“Lushi mei-mei,” He calls her and crosses his arms on his chest, “Your mother, my aunt— who is my father’s sister,” He explained it so she'd understand, “Is really going to blame me if you don’t go home…” He was somewhat afraid of his aunt. “I understand that she and you have a misunderstanding; but you staying here isn’t going to make anything better for yourself and for me.”

“I don’t care,” Lushi shook her head, “I’m not going anywhere for now.” She said and sticks out her tongue to , “How can you kick out a young girl like me? Do you really want to see me on the streets instead? I don't care, I’m going to stay here as long as I want!” She finished the conversation and turns to leave the main hall.

Boran bit his teeth and shut his eyes for a moment. He dislikes her for her stubbornness and no manner personality, but only tolerates her sassy attitude because she was his cousin; a member of his family.

Boran walks into his study room and finds Weiting standing in the middle of the room now.

Weiting?” He was surprised to see him standing there. “What are you doing here?” Boran closed the door shut behind him and walks over. “I thought we’d agree to meet tomorrow at noon--”

Weiting looked more define and mature from 5 years ago. He was now an adult who has accomplished many things! He won many battles, awards, status and even the heart of the people. He had many things going good for himself.

He wore a lavish dark black gown, over a purplish golden brown robe with his hair neatly tucked away in a high bun.

“I had a hunch you were going to make it home a day early.” He interrupted his friend as he held one of Boran’s books in his right hand, “A hunch that is…. I see you’re reading Bai Ping's books now.” He added and places the book on Boran’s desk.

Bai Ping is a famous female war strategist who was recorded in history (Bai Ping Ting), that had won many battles without using any soldiers to fight in wars.

 “Oh yeah,” Boran scratched his head, “I’ve been reading it for a few months now.” He rubs his hands together and walks towards his desk.  “But I still need to read more to understand her concepts.”

Boran was surprised to understand that Weiting had taken great observations on his personality.

“… Getting to the point,” Weiting whispered and stares at the book on the table, “Any news?” He looks up.

Boran stares back at him, “… No,”

What news were they talking about? Something was bothering Weiting.

Weiting nods with a deep breath, “I knew there wasn’t going to be any news, but I wanted to hold some hope.”

“No news means a good thing,” Boran told him, “Don’t worry, we’ll find him.”

Find who? Who needed their help?

“I hope so,”

Boran noticed how much of a weight loss Weiting had gone through within the last 6 months and the way he swayed as he paced around the room, “I see that your father’s sudden disappearance took a toll on you… You should take care of your health! If you fall, who is going to take over the Chan family.” He worried.

His father is missing? Why? And How?

“Don’t worry about me, I’m fine.” He lied. His heart was breaking in stress.

“I already searched Nuning City, your father isn’t there, but that doesn’t mean he is dead. Don’t lose hope, I’m here, I will help you find him.”

“I know,” Weiting pats his friend's left arm once, “Thank you,”

Weiting leaves the Dong Manor that later afternoon, back to his Manor to try and get some rest until he is stopped by Lu Geng in the middle of the hall ways.

“Young Master,” Lu Geng stops him from entering the main hall.

“… What is it?” Weiting turns to face him.

Lu Geng frowns and looks away for a moment and then back to him.

“... What is it?” Weiting’s eyes furrowed.

“It's nothing, I was going to ask you about the preparations for the offerings this weekend. Do you want me to prepare the white joss paper, or the grey ones?”

White joss paper is used for a cleaner prayer offering while grey colored ones are used for regular prayers. Weiting frowns deeply as he had forgotten about the memorial offerings he was to do this weekend.

Lu Geng noticed the weak and pale expression on his master's face.

“Let’s use the white ones,” Weiting replies and turns to leave the hall ways.

“Yes-- young master,” Lu Geng bows and watches as Weiting enters the main hall.

It's been exactly 6 months since he had return back to the capital city; right after his father disappeared in the last war. What had happened in the past 5 years during his stay in the South boarders of Zhao State, Luo Ning; only he and his father knew. It was something he wished never happened.

He walks into his sleep chambers and took off his over layer gown, leaving his purple golden color robe underneath, on. He takes a seat on his bed and sighs. With his eyes closed, he felt a sudden rush of tiredness overcoming his body. He felt the tired, but wasn't sleepy at all.

He was having trouble sleeping in the last 6 months due to stress. His eyes looked heavy and dark, but his body never gave up on him. He lays on his back to see if he could drift into a nice dream, but what awaited for him was only nightmares of his past.

The weekend finally came and Weiting was seen getting ready to set out with Lu Geng and a few other servants.

"Everything is set," Lu Geng said over to Weiting as he walks out the front doors of the Chan Manor.

"Hao," He nods and headed towards a small carriage parked in front.

Suddenly, "Weiting," A female's voice echoed from the side as she came by around the corner with a male figure.

"6th Princess, Ruyang," He greeted her with a bow to his head. "Crown Prince, Haiyang?" He was surprised to see him too.

She wore a black silk gown over a white and pink royal robe with her hair done nicely up. She looked all grown up as well from the last time he had saw her.

Haiyang was the crown prince of Zhao State, Ruyang's older blood brother. He had strong eyes, he was tall and slim with a pair of cute dimples indented on both cheeks, just like his sister had. He was dress in a royal red and yellow color gown that stood out.

"Where are you going at this time of day?" Haiyang asked, referring to the day since it was still early morning.

He held his hands tied behind his back as him and his sister, Ruyang, approaches him.

It has been a long 5 years since he saw them. Weiting almost forgotten that he knew the royal family.

"Tai-Zi (Crown Prince)," Weiting greeted him respectfully, "I'm on my way to make some offerings." He replied.

"It's been a while since we last saw each other," Ruyang said."You're so stingy, you've been back home for 6 months now, and yet have not paid us a visit. And we have to make the trip to come visit you...." She crossed her arms in front of herself. "It's been 5 years,"

"Yes, I was busy with other things so I lost track of visitation. Please do forgive me," He bows.

"At ease," Haiyang excused him and released his hands to his side, "... You said you were going to make offerings? Where?" Haiyang asked afterwards.

Weiting didn't want to tell them but had no choice, "Huaijiu Hills,"

Ruyang and Haiyang both widen their eyes, not in shock but in a comfort surprise.

"You're very daring, you know that's a place where only royalty can enter; yet you still go there?" Haiyang smirked as he plays with his left wrist with his right hand.

"I'm only going there to make offerings to the late Crown Princess."

"Oh," Haiyang nods slowly as Ruyang smirks to the side.

Weiting noticed the sudden cold atmosphere around them, "I know that it's late, but Congratulations on being bestowed as the crown princess," He congratulated her 3 years late.

Yes! Ruyang was deemed and bestowed the crown princess title after the death of Taiyang 5 years ago.

"Thank you," She carved a satisfied smile and brushes her gown.

"Coming back to topic, you don't have a royal order to enter Huaijiu Hills,"

"Ge, it's okay... Weiting is basically a royal member now, because he was once engaged to Taiyang mei-mei." She explained and looks back to Weiting, "Right?"

Weiting stands in silence. He doesn't wish to talk about the matter with them.

"But he never married her. So it doesn't count." Haiyang for fun.

What were they doing at his resident so early in the morning anyways? Weiting knew they didn't come there just to about Taiyang.

The morning slowly shifted.

"But now, he is engaged to Feiyang." Ruyang  said and Weiting peeks over with a slight surprise.

What!? Weiting was engaged to who? Why? When? How?

Weiting bit his teeth tightly, "What do you mean?" He asked out of curiosity.

"Right," Haiyang nods, "I almost forgot. That's the reason why we are here in the first place,"

Weiting felt like they were teasing him for fun because he setting out to Huaijiu Hills, "If you think it's unnecessary for me to take this journey today without a royal order, I won't go. There is no need to spread false rumors about me..." Weiting said, having enough of their teasing and turns to walk back into his Manor.

"Wait!" Haiyang stopped him from leaving and laughed a little, "Please, don't take it to heart. Me and Ruyang didn't mean anything harmful." He softly implied.

Weiting turns back to face them, "Then what brings you, the crown prince and crown princess Ruyang here today?"

"We came with the Emperors decree..." Haiyang said with a tough voice.

"Decree?"

Haiyang's personal Eunuch walks over with a golden tray with the Emperor's golden scroll, "Chan Weiting, you are to accept the Emperor's decree." He said with a loud tone as he grabs the golden scroll.

Weiting quickly kneels with the rest of this household in front of the Chan Manor, "I, Chan Weiting, is here." He bows his head.

It's always been a tradition for ages to have the Emperors people to bow in sight of the golden royal scroll-decree as if they saw the Emperor themselves.

Haiyang opens the scroll and begins reading the letters that were inked on it, "As a pillar of my nation and my kingdom; a high status and a well respected persona for the great Zhao State: I herby bestow a royal marriage to the great general, Chan Weiting. Princess Feiyang of Royal Consort Ziqi is of age and with the prayers of the heavens, Chan Weiting will be wed to Princess Feiyang on a auspicious date-- signed by the emperor himself."

Weiting was taken aback by the sudden decree. He couldn't believe what the Emperor was now trying to do to him. A marriage between him and Feiyang after what happened to Taiyang? Weiting held in his anger as he tightened his fist.

"Chan Weiting, accept the decree!" Haiyang finished the announcement and reaches out the scroll.

As much as he hated it and did not want to accept the decree, he knew that he couldn't reject it. If he shall reject it, a severe punishment will hold his family down.

"I accept," He said and stands on his feet, grabbing the golden scroll from Haiyang's hands.