chapter 22

The Sun that never Withered

Chapter 22

 

In the following day, Ke Chi had arrived in front of the Chan Manor. He was seen hopping out of his small wooden carriage and walks right into the main yard.


"Young Master Ke Chi." The Chan Manor servants all greeted him as he walks pass them.


"Where is your Young Master?" 


"He isn't home."


"Not home? Where did he go?"


"We're not sure, but he left early in the morning."


Ke Chi thought to himself quickly and then sighs, "Do you at least know when he will be back?"


"Sorry, we're not sure." They noticed a pale look on his face, "Is it important?"


"Yes,"


"Oh, then we'll send someone to inform you in the palace as soon as he returns."


"No, once I go back to the palace, I can't come out... Once Weiting comes back, have him come meet me at Sunshine Restaurant. I'll be waiting there until mid night." 
"Okay."


Ke Chi headed towards the restaurant alone in a slow pace thinking about his stress. His arms gently swings back and forth on his sides freely, while his feet scuffed on the ground, but no sound came to them. The noisy street market had taken over the sound of his feet. Suddenly, He begins to get a fuzzy feeling that he was being followed by someone. He stops to peek over his shoulders but the busy people bustling behind him were too many to pin point a specific person. The hair on his neck stood high as he picks up his pace and then quickly turns the corner to take the ally. People bustled by, but no one came into the ally after him. He stops to hide himself in a small corner and waits for a few seconds before taking the first steps out again.


"Am' I being too nervous?" He asked himself after he made sure the ally was cleared and starts out, carefully.


He approaches the restaurant and headed in, meanwhile a tall man was seen following him inside.

 

-
-

 

Weiting and Lu Geng was seen walking up to a small wooden hut in the middle of a vastly bamboo forest just South of his Manor. He watches as the light from the sky fades back and forth, creating new shadows at every corner. His eyes glimmered from the hallow bamboo trees and listens as the wind softly wailed in between his ears. He could smell a freshly stink of bamboo as he walks closer to the hut.


Lu Geng lifted his face, letting the light and shadows dance across his face as well. "Do you smell that?" He asked his master.


"Wood?"


"No. Mint." Lu Geng sniffs a few more times. He loved the smell of Mint.


Even with a little bit of wind coming through, the bamboo trees stood utterly still like statues in a living museum where no leaf dared to fall. Weiting approached the gates, that were made from the bamboo trunks, and stops to peek into the clean yard.


"Young Master Chan?" Cui Feng saw him and drops her basket of herbs to the side. "Young Master Chan, Sir Lu Geng, what are you two doing here?" She asked as soon as she opens the gates for them to enter.


Weiting takes a look around the area avoiding her eyes for the moment. Judging by her voice, he could see that her expression and body language was much better than when he first found her.


"I'm just checking up on you." He replies and scans the front yard and then the side of the hut.


"Oh," She knew he was just being extra cautious, "Come on in." She lead them the way into the yard towards a wooden stool at the round table. "Have a seat."


Weiting takes a seat while Lu Geng stood to the side, near the door way. He then, finally, took a glance at her and saw her dressed in a simple plain light blue outfit.


"How is it here? It seems to be really quite here." He asked as he roams his eyes around the small one bedroom-room. "I'm sorry you have to live in hiding... But, I promise you, this is only temporary. Once I find the late crown princess Taiyang's murder, I will allow you to live freely." 


"It's okay. Living like this is much better than what I've gone through in the past 4 years." She tried her best to smile as she begins pouring a cup of hot tea for him, "Actually, it's not that quite around here.. Its peaceful here, if that's what you mean." She watched as the cup filled up half way and stops. "There are birds that chirp every morning, snakes that rattle in the afternoon and wild animals that cries in the night." She said and places the cup in front of him, and then takes her seat across from the table.


"And how is that peaceful?" He asked staring at the cup instead of her eyes.


She pulls her small hands onto her lap, "Young Master Chan, we both know that you're not here to talk about how peaceful this place is."


He looks at her.


"You want to know more about Taiyang's death, don't you?"


He sits in silence. Of course he does, but he didn't know how to approach her about it and not make it look like he is obsessed.


"I don't blame you for not giving up... If I were you, I will continue to look for the truth too. The late crown princess was such a kind hearted person, to see and know that someone killed her, isn't fair."


He nods slowly. "Yes, I won't give up... So, have you recalled anything new? Anything detailed in particular?"


She was glad that he wasn't ready to give up on this issue. She felt like the only person who could give Taiyang justice was him.


"All that I've told you and Young Master Dong, was all that I could remember from that day." She said with a sad tone, a little upset that she can't recall much.


"Then... What about the days before her death? Anything strange?"


"The days before her death?" She thought and confused herself. "... The days before her death..."


"Anything will be helpful."


She turns to the side to think and did remember about one particular thing that happened. "Now that you mention it, three days before her death, I saw 7th princess standing outside Richu Palace."


"Feiyang?"


"Yes," She nods carefully. "I was running an errand for the late crown princess that day and saw 7th princess standing outside Richu Palace whispering something into her maid's ear... I was going to go out and greet her but when I got to the bottom of the steps, she was gone."


Weiting bit his lips lightly, "Anything else?"


"No," She shakes her head. "After that, Ruyang brought in the soup and Taiyang ate it... And then." Her eyes looked as if it was going to burst out crying again.
"Hao le," He stops her from explaining further. "Thank you. You've helped enough."


She smiled with tears wailing in her small eyes.


"I'll be leaving now. You don't have to worry about anyone finding you here. This is a place where me and Boran often practice our swordsman ship. No one knows about this place but us..."


"Thank you." She thanked him as she stands to bow with grace.


"Lu Geng will bring you food and clothes on the first of every month, try to stay inside and don't go out looking for trouble." 


"Yes,"


He stands and takes his leave with Lu Geng towards the door.


 "... Young Master Chan," She stops him with a bit of hesitation.


"What is it?" He turns back to her.


"I want to thank you on behalf of Taiyang. I know, you don't like her how she likes you... But I want to let you know that even so, Taiyang loved you wholeheartedly. There wasn't a day that she didn't think about you."


He took a big gulp of his own spit and turns back towards the door way. He was ashamed of himself for hearing about her affections for him. He felt bad about everything.


"That day when she overheard you and Young Master Dong talking about not wanting to marry her because of her disability, was one of the worst days I ever saw her dread in. She didn't eat or sleep for days. But... She was still happy afterwards." She said with pace. "What I'm trying to say is that she was not mad at you, nor did she hate you or blamed you for what you said. She understood how you felt..."


Although Lu Geng doesn't personally know how Weiting is feeling at the moment, he felt a little heartbroken for him. He watched the expression on Weiting's face go sour back and forth. He has always supported Weiting in the choices and decisions that are made because he served the Chan family, and this caused him to have never really thought about how Taiyang would have felt.


"The last thing the late crown princess doesn't want you to do is not forgive yourself."


He takes in a shallow breathe, "I know." And leaves the room.

 

-
-

 

Weiting arrives back home, riding on his horse with Lu Geng right behind him that evening. The metal clanking from the hooves of the animal made it clear for the servants to open the doors to wait for him.  


"Young Master!" His servants came out the door way. "Young Master, Physician Ke Chi came here earlier to see you but you wasn't home."


Weiting hops off his horse and smudges a frown on his face, "When?"


"This morning. He said, he will be waiting at Sunshine Restaurant until mid night."


"He also said that it was something important that he had to talk to you about." Another servant added in.


"Mid night? Young Master, there's only one hour left until night fall." Lu Geng noticed the dark sky hovering over their heads.


"I'll go meet him first."


"But, are you sure he still there?" Lu Geng stops him. "It's really late. He might have left already."


"He said he was going to wait until mid night, I think he is still waiting for you. Besides, he looked rather pale about whatever he needs to talk to you about." The servant said.


"Hao le, Lu Geng take my sword and wait for me in my chambers. I will go meet with Ke Chi first." He said and hands over his sword.


"Yes," Lu Geng takes his sword and watches as he hops back onto his horse and rides off alone.

 

Sunshine Restaurant,

 

Weiting parked his horse outside the front and rushes carefully into the restaurant.


"Oh my, who is this?" The madam of the restaurant chuckles as she approaches him. "This is the first time I've ever seen Young Master Chan this late at night."


It was 11 PM.


"I have a friend who was waiting here for me, did he leave yet?"


"A friend? A handsome and young fella..." She replies with a chuckle and crosses her arms on her chest, "Aiya, he has been waiting all day for you-- he didn't even order a drink. I don't know if he is dead or alive upstairs." She said and eyed over to the stairs and up into the VIP rooms.


Weiting wasted no time and goes up to the VIP rooms. He soon approaches the door and pushes it open, "Ke Chi?" He walks into the room.

He scans the area but found Ke Chi nowhere inside. He walks over towards the bed area and still no sign of his friend.


"Ke Chi?" He shouted in the middle of the room but no reply came back.


He stops moving and after a moment of silence, he headed back down the stairs to the first level. "Madam,"  


"What is it?"


"Did my friend leave the restaurant?" 


"I didn't see him leave. Is he not up there?"


"No,"


"Then... Perhaps he left already." She shrugs her shoulders and turns away to entertain another male customer.


Weiting frowns with a fuzzy feeling filling his stomach. Perhaps Ke Chi did leave? He then turns to leave the restaurant and heads back to his resident for the night.

 


-
-

 


"That was a quick meeting with Ke Chi." Lu Geng saw him walking through his chamber doors. "I wasn't expecting you back for another hour or so. What's wrong?" He noticed the odd look in his Young Master's face.


Lu Geng had just finished wiping his sword down and places it back into its pocket.


"It's weird." He whispered to himself and takes a seat on his bed.


"What's weird?" Lu Geng's eyes looked cutely confused, upon hearing him talking to himself.


"Nothing..." He sighs.


Lu Geng dismissed his young masters worries, "... So what was so important that Ke Chi needed to meet with you?"


"Nothing."


"Nothing!?" Lu Geng gasped. "What do you mean?"


"I didn't meet him. Ke Chi had already left when I got there." He replied and begins un-tying his sash at his waist off.


Lu Geng gives him a hand and helps him takes his top layer robe off afterwards.


"I see, well, I had the servants put up a bath for you in the other room... Wash up before you sleep." Lu Geng said as he hangs his robe to on the wooden pole to the side. "If there's nothing else, I'll be heading out now." 


"Hao," Weiting nods and Lu Geng leaves the room quietly.

 


The next day arrived and Weiting had changed into a new set of white and evergreen colored robes before walking towards his bedroom doors. As soon as he perched the doors open, Lu Geng surprised him and carved a shocked expression across his face.


"Y-Young Master!" He scared himself as well.


Weiting frowns and pats his sleeves, "What's the matter?"


"Uh, morning." He greeted first, "4th Princess is in the main hall seeking an audience with you."


"4th Princess?"


"Yes,"


In the next few minutes he walks into the main hall where his father was already sitting in with Luyang. 


"4th princess," He greeted her. "Father," He greeted afterwards.


"Son," His father calls him over. "What kind of trouble are you getting into now a days?" He asked and leans back into his chair.


"What do you mean?" He was lost for a second.


Luyang stood up from her seat, "Where is Ke Chi?"


"Huh?"


Lu Geng carved a confused look as well. "Didn't return back to the palace last night?"


"No! He's missing." Her eyes gazed straight over with the strongest frown ever. 


"Missing?" Lu Geng gasped before Weiting could even say a word.


Luyang gave an angry look at Lu Geng and then shifts her gaze at Weiting, "Weiting, didn't I tell you not to do anything stupid." She approached him.


"I don't understand what you are saying right now." He was shocked as well, but managed to keep a calm tone.


"Those two female servants you had me and Ke Chi look for, they're dead."


Anxiety crawled up behind his neck and into his head. Dead? Weiting could feel a bit of pain in his chest with constricting of his muscles tensing up through his arms. His feet were grounded on the floor for a moment and a bunch of questions filled his mind.


"And now... Ke Chi is missing." She said and panicked within her mind. "Before Ling-er died, she said something to Ke Chi. He was supposed to meet me today to discuss what was said... But he's nowhere to be found."


"Did you check the royal--"


"I did!" She interrupts him, "I went to the royal infirmary before coming here, they told me that he didn't come back last night... He was gone all day... But, before he left out of the palace yesterday morning, he told the head physician that he was going to meet with you."


"Yes, my servants told me that he stopped by in the morning... But I wasn't home. Me and Lu Geng was running some errands. We didn't make it back until almost mid night."


"Yes," Lu Geng backed his Young Master up. "So, Ke Chi's disappearance couldn't have been done by my young master.


"I'm not saying that your young master kidnapped Ke Chi." Luyang threw her anger at Lu Geng now, "I'm asking what they are doing behind my back that caused his disappearance." 


Weiting froze for a moment, thinking to himself.


"We haven't seen him since a week ago. Where could he have gone? What if something happened to him?" Lu Geng panicked.


Weiting then remembered about the fuzzy feeling he was having last night when he couldn't find Ke Chi in at the restaurant. He had a bad feeling something must have happened. But what? 


"Try to recall if you can remember anything from a week ago that seemed strange." His father spoke. "If the Emperor finds out that Ke Chi is missing, everything will be in a mess. Ke Chi is the youngest royal physician in the palace and the most talented one. You can say, he is the Emperors new favorite person right now. We must find him before the Emperor figures it out."


"Yes, father."


-
-

 

Dong Manor,

 


Boran was seen getting ready to head out when he is stopped by Lushi.


"Piao-Ge," She looked rather sad.


"Not again..." He clenched his eyes closed and then opens them, "Yes?" He said, trying to act firm.


"I'm leaving..."


His expression went relaxed, "What? Really? When?" He sounded rather excited.


She hissed at him for the kind of reply he gave her. "Tsk... Today." She swings her hands in front of herself and approaches him, "My father wants me to return home. I have to listen to him if..." She pauses and rolls her eyes away.


"... If what?"


"N-Nothing." She shakes her head cutely and turns her whole body away from him. "You have to take care of yourself, don't get hurt again. Your hand is still injured, don't soak it in water for too long." She reminded him.


He smiles and rubs his hand on her head like a child. "Hao le,"


He knows that she really cares for him, and he would sacrifice his life for her any day, but still can't find it in himself to actually return her feelings.


"Don't worry, I will take care of myself." He rest assured her. "That's good, you're an unmarried girl, I think it's best if you go back home and listen to your parents."
She carved a sad expression across her face after hearing his reply and removes his hand from her head, roughly. He then brings his hand back to his side. "Be good now."


"Sir Dong," Yang Sun's voice then approaches their conversation. "Lushi Mei-Mei, you're here too." She smiles sweetly.


Lushi frowns as soon as she saw her with an annoyed look in her eyes. "Where else would I be?" She said and then rolls her eyes away.


"Don't mind her. What's the matter?" Boran asked Yang Sun with a brighter smile.


"It's nothing, I just want to stop by before leaving."


"What!? You're leaving?" Boran frowns with a gasp.


Lushi noticed right away the different expression between the conversations. Her heart sunk deep into her chest and down her stomach. 


"Where will you go? Who will you be staying with? Do you even have money for your travels?" He asked all kinds of questions.


Yang Sun bows her head gently, "I will be heading South... As far as to where I will be staying, honestly, I'm not sure... But I'll be fine. I saved enough money to travel there already."


Boran didn't want her to leave, not yet at least.


"How about staying here for a bit longer?"


"Here?"


"Yes. You can leave when have a place to go."


Yang Sun peeks at Lushi, who was seen staring at the pot of flower on the ground with an sad look. 


"No thanks. I think it's time I should leave."


Lushi peeks back to her eyes and they met briefly.


"Then I can send you off--"


"No need." She stopped him and walks over to Lushi's side, "Lushi, can I ask you for a favor?"


"W-What kind of favor?" 


"Let's become sworn sisters?"


"What?" Her eyes widen in shock. "Us? Sworn sisters?" She didn't feel like she deserved to be sworn sisters with her. "I... I..." She peeks back and forth from Boran and her.


Yang Sun grabs her hands closely, "I grew up alone in a dark place. I don't have a sister, how about we become sworn sister? Are you willing to be my sworn sister?"
Lushi hesitated for a while.


"Didn't you always wanted a sister?" Boran said. "You can have one now if you promise her."


Although Lushi carried anger and a bit of resentment towards Yang Sun because she truly knew that Boran had feelings for her, she never hated her fully. 
"H-Hao," She agreed with a slight smile.


Boran had the servants bring them each three lit incense and a pot of white ashes. They both kneeled on the ground in the yard side by side as they held their three lit incense in their hands, looking up into the sky.


"I, Yang Sun, vow to become sworn sisters with Yang Lushi, to share the good and bad with her, to share feelings, thoughts, emotions and desires. I promise to be there for her when hard time comes along and protect her from harm."


Lushi gave her a soft smile, "I, Yang Lushi, vow to become sworn sisters with Yang Sun, to share the good and bad with her, to share feelings, thoughts, emotions and desires. I promise to be there for her when hard time comes along and protect her from harm."


They both looked at one another and then takes three bows to close the ceremony.


"Jie-Jie," Lushi grabs Yang Sun's right arm and helps her up.


"Mei-Mei," Yang Sun calls her with the sweetest tone and pats her head gently.


"Hao le," Boran walks over. "I'm getting all cringy by listening to you both." He teased them. "Haven't you both noticed that your surnames are the same?"


"Yes! We're both Yang's!" Lushi hasn't noticed it until now. "You're Yang Sun and I'm Yang Lushi... We're perfect as sworn sisters!" She claps her hands together with joy. 


Lushi was no longer mad at her.


"You're happy now?"


"Of course, I have an older sister now."


"Good, then I want to let you know, now that we're sisters, I will never take what belongs to you." She said with a serious face and Lushi knew what she meant right away. 


Boran did as well as he frowns at the side.


"I will never forsake our sister bond over anything. I will never allow myself to be a burden or stress in your eyes." She promised. "So, I will always give in to you."


Lushi felt a little guilty and sadden as she listened to Yang Sun's words. Her heart broke for herself and for Boran. She knew how much Boran took a liking in Yang Sun, and to hear that Yang Sun will never ever allow herself and Boran to be a couple, made Lushi's heart fall even deeper into the ocean. She felt ashamed of herself for having to force Yang Sun roll in the white flag and lose to her desires.


"Is this why you wanted to be sworn sister with me?" She asked.


"I just don't want you to hate me... Most importantly, I don't want to be misunderstood in others eyes. Understand?"


Boran knew those words were for him and fakes a smile, "Hao le, let's get going." He didn't dare look into their eyes and left the scene first.


As the three of them walks into the main hall of the manor, an elderly man was seen standing in the middle of the room, dressed in a silver armor.


"Father?" Boran calls out to him. "Father, you're back!?" He runs into the room to greet him.


"Um," He nods his head as he turns to look at his son. "It's been a long while, my son." He smiled with tears gathering in his eyes.


He was Boran's father, Dong Xiaoyu. He had very strong eye brows, sharp nose and a nice body built for an old man. His face had dry dirt plastered on it with his helmet sitting on the table nearby revealing the strands of his white hair.


"Father,"


"Uncle!" Lushi rushed over to hug him too. "We've missed you so much!" She buried her face in his metal armor chest.


Yang Sun took a step to the side and back. She knew who he was, but never really had a real conversation with him before.


"It's been a long time, let me take a look at you both." He chuckled as he places them both side by side. "Um, you've both grown up so much."


"Father, why are you back? Did the war ended?"


"Yes, the war ended. We won."


"That's good!" Boran hugs his father with tears rolling down his cheeks. "That's such great news! Now you can come home!"


Yang Sun was lost for a moment until it finally hitted her quickly. Of course! Boran's father was stationed in Xi Wang city, West of the boarders for nearly 8 years to fight a war that was losing. She was glad that they had won it, finally.


"Who is this?" His father asked them both as he looks over to Yang Sun.


"Oh, this is my sworn sister, Yang Sun." Lushi introduced her before Boran could get the chance to say anything. "Jie-Jie, this is Boran's father, my uncle and General Dong Xiaoyu."


"Oh, General Dong," She bows in showing respect to her elder.


"... Yang Sun?" He said her name, "Your name is quite pleasant to call out. Yang as masculine? Sun as in grandson? But you're clearly a girl." He name. "Why would your parents call you this name?"


"Father,"


Yang Sun laughed along, "It's okay," She hinted at Boran and then turns to face his father, "My parents chose the name thinking I was a son... But, its Yang as in bright and positive, Sun as to damage."


Boran and Lushi stared at her, never had they ever imagined her name to be so meaningful.


"One must stay positive and bright as to having a damage future?" His father calculated the meaning, "It's a strong name indeed, like Yin and Yang."
"Correct."


"Hao, Boran... Help me go change." He finished the talk and walks out of the main hall. "We have a lot to catch up on."


"I will be back, don't leave without me saying goodbye." Boran said towards Yang Sun and then chases after his father out the room.


Lushi could sense a not willing to leave vibe from her eyes. "Jie-Jie, are you really leaving?"


"Yes,"


"Do you have to?"


"I have to..."


"Then... What if I don't want you to leave? If I ask for you to stay, will you stay?"


Yang Sun releases a soft sigh, "Lushi, no matter what happens, I will have to leave one day. If it's not today, it will be tomorrow. If it's not tomorrow, it will be next week."


"If... If I allow you and Boran to be together, will you stay?" Lushi asked, only starting to get use to having her around.


Yang Sun became flabbergasted at her comment, "What are you saying? Just a few minutes ago you wanted me to leave, and now... You want me to stay? Don't worry, I will visit again. It's not like you won't ever see me again... I just have some things that I need to do."


"But...." Lushi knew that she couldn't change her mind in this matter and gave up on trying to persuade her to stay.

 

An hour later, Yang Sun had finished gathering her things into one small cloth bag and places it on her right shoulders. She then secretly leaves her room and walks towards the front of the Dong Manor to leave.


She slowly walks pass the two male door servants and exits the Manor into the busy street in front. She took one look back behind her and disappears before Boran could chase after her.


"She left?" Boran's voice echoes through Yang Sun's room. "When?"


"About 20 minutes ago." The female maid replies with her head lowered. "She said she was going to come greet you before she left..." 


Boran gritted his teeth together in anger and rushes out the room towards the front of the Manor. He stops as soon as the two door servants greets him.


"Did you two see Miss Yang Sun leave?"


"Yes," They both nods. "She left about 25 minutes ago."


"Which she did go?"


"Uh," They both scratched their heads. "We didn't see which way she went."


Boran looked anxious and upset.


"Do you want us to go and look for her?"


"... Never mind." He shakes his head and turns to walk back into the Manor.


He understood that she did this because she didn't want to be put into a dilemma. 

 

-
-

 

Yang Sun was walking alone through the bustling town market and noticed a warm weather like feeling over came her body; as if she was starting to have a fever. A vomiting like sensation crawled up and clogged right in the middle. She peeks at the sun above her head with her left hand covering her forehead and felt the scorching heat attacking her body like pins and needles. 


But it was the beginning of Autumn, the weather is supposed to be cold... What was wrong with her all of a sudden? Her heart seemed to weaken and her legs became numb and weak. She then felt a tight grasp that wrapped around her chest and suddenly heard a loud drumming coming through her ears.
"Ughh!" She gasped in pain and almost falling to the ground. 


She caught herself and stops moving. The few people who walked pass her watched as she cringed there, bended a little at her knees and gasps to one another. They weren't sure to help her or not. Her breathing became shallow and she felt as if she couldn't breathe for the moment. This was not the first time she had felt this way. She knew what was wrong.


She pulled out the jade pendant from her chest pocket and held it tightly in her hand with her eyes shut tightly. She tries reaching her hands out to the side, to grab onto anything, just anything before she could finally collaspe onto the ground. 


Suddenly, a hand reaches over and grabs her by the waist and back.


"What's wrong?" The voice sounded her ears, all to familiar. 
 

 

--------------------------

A/N

Whoa has it been a while since I updated! sorry for the long haitus everyone. I have been busy with life, work, funerals, moving etc... And I actually lost the chapters that I wrote, so I' am trying to rewrite what I can remember. Lol. Thanks for enjoying my fanfic!