chapter 14

The Sun that never Withered

Chapter 14

 

 

Yang Sun walks her way through the bamboo forest while her mind was in its own little world as she strolled alongside the wind. The bottom of her purple robe shuffled a little as it accompanied her feet on the ground. She knew that it was about time she had to return to the palace to seek what she needed to be done. It’s been 5 years since she last saw her father, sisters and Weiting himself.

Her eyes glazed in a blank motion, “I have to…” She told herself. “I have to be strong…” Her voice echoes in her head.

She comes up to the witches den after a few more miles and she stops in front of the front yard of the old cottage home. She remembered what she had promised to the witch before her death, to seek revenge.

I will…” She half smiled as she stared at the cottage home, “… To seek justice for myself… Because no one will seek it for you, only you can find the truth.” She repeated the witch’s words through .  “I will return to the palace.”

After realizing that she needed to return to the palace, she had gathered a few things she needed inside the run-down cottage before burning it down to the ground in flames. There she stood with a bag across her shoulders and an old jade palette pendant that belonged to the witch. On the jade palette pendant craved a dimmed one letter word: (Gao).

She wasn’t sure what the word was telling her, for it can mean anything. She knew that she had to enter the palace to figure things out first. Boran and Lushi was riding on the hills towards Luo City, when eventually they came passing the bamboo forest. They noticed smoke appearing a few miles ahead where the witches den was stationed.

“Piao-Ge, look! Smoke!” Lushi saw it first as she pointed it out.

Boran stops everything by raising his right hand, “Why would there be smoke coming from there? Is it a forest fire?” He thought to himself with a little surprise. “… Su Tang,” He called one of his soldiers over.

“Yes sir,”

“I’m going to go and check it out. You’re in charge of here until I come back.”

Yes sir!”

“I’m going too!” Lushi raised her right hand as well.

Boran brushed her off, knowing that he couldn’t stop her regardless and decided to let her tag along. They two of them, with a few soldiers, gallops their way a towards the black smoke and finally comes across the burning cottage.

“What happened?” Boran asked as he hops off his horse.

He ran over to the fire and stops. He sees Yang Sun sitting on the ground, like she was injured.

Miss Yang Sun?

Lushi came rushing over as well. “Miss Yang?”

Yang Sun shut her eyes and lowered her head while Boran and Lushi rushes over to her side, “Are you hurt anywhere?” Boran asked her as he grabs her left arm to turn her over.

“I’m fine,” She replied and opens her eyes.

“This… What happened here?” Lushi asked.

“My house burned down.” She said with a sad voice, and looks back to the burning cottage. “Someone must have burned it down.”

Who?” Boran peeks at the burning cottage and then back to her.

“It must have been that old ugly herbal man in town!” Lushi frowns with anger with both her fists up in midair. “Remember that old guy!? The one who blamed Miss Yang of selling rotten herbs to him!” She took a guess.

“Maybe?” Yang Sun sighs. “Maybe… It’s a sign for me to move on.”

Boran noticed the sullen and grim look on her face, “It’s okay… You 4 over there!” He waved for his 4 soldiers to come over.

“Yes sir,” They all rushed over.

“Hurry and put the flames out.”

“Yes sir!”

Boran peeks back to Yang Sun and helps her up from the ground, “Here, get up first.”

Yang Sun brushes herself off the dirty ground and looks into his eyes, “Thank you.”

“F-For what?” He blushed suddenly and Lushi took noticed.

“You saved me again today.” She tried to smile as her fingers rolls in front of herself.

“N-No, I didn’t save you today. You were already out here when we arrived.” He said and removes his hand from her arm.

“But… Now that my house is burnt down. I really have nowhere to go.” She told them and looks down to the ground.

“Nowhere to go?” He gasped softly and thought, “How about… You can travel with us first, besides, aren’t you a herbalist? You can help me--”

“NO!” Lushi shouted and they both jumped in surprised. “I mean, we can’t take her along.”

“And why not?” Boran places his hands on his hips, “I took you—”

She felt a little angry towards Boran for not considering her feelings.

“She… She…” She couldn’t think of any excuses.

“General Dong,” His men came running back, “We can’t seem to stop the fire! We feel like the more we try to make it go out, the more the fire will spread!”

“Yes, it’s like magic!” Another said.

Yang Sun secretly looks away and back to the them. Could they have figured it out already?

“Hao le,” Boran sighs, “Miss Yang, it’s settle, you can travel with us for now. When I’m done with my matters we will head to the capital together and you can stay at my manor for a while.”

Yang Sun felt relieve, “Hao,” She nods.

“No!” Lushi shook her head with a cute pout.

Enough,” Boran frowns at her immature remarks. “Have some manners. She just lost her home, do you want her to sleep out in the cold and dark with the wild animals?”

“That’s not what I meant…” She said.

Yang Sun could tell that Lushi was mad with her but brushed it off quickly.

“Miss Yang, you can ride with me,” He reached out his hands towards her.

“No!” Lushi grabs his hand and pushes it back.

“Lushi!” He snaps at her softly.

“It’s okay. I think, riding with you will cause a misunderstanding among your soldiers,” She said and Boran noticed the 4 men standing to side staring at them. “Since we’re both girls, I will ride with her.” She already knew that Lushi was a girl in disuse as a man, and that her emotions and feelings were all out on the table.

You knew?” Lushi asked with embarrassment.

“Yes, you look to pretty to be a man.” She complimented her a bit.

Lushi smiles, “… Thank you,” She flustered.

 

 

Chan Manor;

 

 

You know?” Weiting looked rather surprised from Ke Chi’s sudden words.

A royal physician knowing too much about the inner palace troubles?

“I have a hunch,” Ke Chi stands on his feet and paces around the middle of the room slowly.

“Who?” Lu Geng frowns as he tightens his fist to his sides.

“On the day of the royal maids entering the emperor’s palace, 4 years ago, only one person of the royal family was missing… The current crown princess Ruyang.”

“Princess Ruyang? But why?” Cui Feng didn’t understand. “And… The current crown princess?”

Ke Chi nods and ties his hands behind his back, “The royal guards I asked who worked that shift, told me that she was gone the whole day. My guess is that she had kidnapped Cui Feng and hid her in Xi Village because of what Cui Feng said.”

“… What did I say?” She couldn’t remember clearly.

“You told everyone that she had delivered the soup and fed Taiyang with it. She might have wanted to get rid of you, since you are a living proof of evidence.”

Everyone sat in silence for a moment again.

“… I also digged into it and found out that Princess Ruyang had previously hired a few men to dig up Taiyang’s grave secretly.”

Why?” Cui Feng stood from her seat. “I always thought that it was princess Feiyang who did these evil things because she never liked Princess Taiyang.”

“Because Ruyang wasn’t there when Taiyang passed away, I guess she wanted to make sure that Taiyang was really dead.”

Ruthless!” Lu Geng slammed his hands together. “How can a princess do such a thing!?” His eyes swayed in anger.

“I can’t believe this…” Cui Feng cried a little as she spaced off, “Princess Ruyang always favored Taiyang, she always made sure Taiyang was loved. She showered Taiyang with so much emotions! Why would she do that to her?”

Weiting shut his eyes for a moment, “Right now,” He opens them, “We don’t have proof. We only know what has spoken… Wait. We have to wait and find hard core proof.”

Ke Chi agreed, “Don’t worry, 4th princess Luyang is already searching.”

“4th princess?” Cui Feng gasped, “Is she okay?”

“She’s fine,” Ke Chi rest her worries. “She wanted me to deliver a message to you, Weiting.”

Weiting peeks over.

“She said: ‘don’t go doing stupid things. Wait for my signal’…”

Signal?” Weiting frowns, “What signal?”

“I’m not sure, I thought you’d know what it is…” Ke Chi shrugs his shoulders. “Anyways, just wait… You’ve already waited 5 years, waiting a little longer isn’t going to kill you. Be patient. Whoever put this plan to use, didn’t leave enough evidence for us to find.”

Weiting sighs, “I know, tell the 4th princess, I will be patient.”

 

 

Luo City;

 

Boran, Lushi and Yang Sun finally made it to Luo City a few days later. It was dimmed, dark and cold. There was only a few people bustling in the city. They stared at the Boran on his horse and the small carriage behind him.

“Why are they staring at us like food?” Lushi quietly asked Yang Sun as she peeks out the windows.

Yang Sun chuckles to herself, “Do you know why this city is called Luo City?”

“No,” Lushi shakes her head and sits back next to her. “Why?”

Lushi had changed back into her woman robe to accompany Yang Sun.

“Before it was named Luo, the city’s first name was ‘Qi’ which means to abandoned. To be exact, the city use to be known as Qi Gao City. The late Emperor renamed it to Luo which means to arrange; after the massacre that happened here 30 years ago. The Emperor wanted to keep the outlaws and thieves in their place, so he created Luo City… It is also a place where outlaws and thieves can start over…” She explained clearly.

“So… Is it like jail?” Lushi was still too young and naïve to understand everything.

“You can think of it as a jail for them, just with a bit more freedom.” Yang Sun giggles at her innocent mind.

Boran rode on his horse with Su Tang at his side.

“General Dong,” Su Tang whispered to him. “Are you sure Commander Chan is here?”

“I don’t know. Weiting wanted me to check it out, so that’s what I’m going to do.”

Just then an old man runs towards them with 2 middle aged men in the middle of the city. He was largely built in body and had a long dark colored beard at his chin.

“Greeting’s General Dong,” He greeted Boran. “Welcome to Luo City.”

“At ease,” He excused the man.

He was the mayor of Luo City, Hu Zi. It was weird for Boran, Weiting wanted him to come check out the area secretly, but how did the mayor of Luo city know that he was coming?

Boran hops off his horse, “How did you--”

“Oh,” Hu Zi interrupted him, “Let’s go to my place and talk.” He suggested.

Boran hesitated since he had both Lushi and Yang Sun with him. If anything shall happen, he wouldn’t be able to keep both girls protected. Maybe Lushi was right, taking Yang Sun along was the wrong idea.

“It’s weird…” Yang Sun was hit with a thrilling scent.

“What’s weird?” Lushi whispered.

“It’s too quiet for an outlaw city… And…”

And?

“… I can smell fresh blood.”

Blood?” Lushi’s eyes popped.

The mayor could see the hesitation in Boran’s eyes, “Don’t worry, General Chan already told me that you were arriving…” He whispered loud enough for them to hear only. “This way,” He pointed afterwards.

Boran then brushes off the weird feeling since the mayor knew who he was and who Weiting was as he mentions his name. Perhaps Weiting really did let him know. As he was going to take his first steps Lushi calls out for him.

“Piao-Ge,” She hops off the carriage with Yang Sun and walks over. “Wait!”

“… Who is this?” Hu Zi smiled upon seeing her youth beauty. He took a look at Yang Sun but dismissed her quickly and stuck his eyes on Lushi.

You want us to follow you, but you haven’t even given us your name?” Lushi spoke harshly.

“Oh-- I’m sorry! My name is Hu Zi, I’m the mayor of this city.” He laughed a little in the end.

"Hu Zi? Beard?" Lushi laughed at the meaning of his name.

Boran noticed the old bearded mayor couldn’t take his eyes off Lushi and cleared his throat, walking in between the space of Lushi and Hu Zi. He quickly reminded himself that this city is nothing but trouble.

“I have a weird feeling about this place.” Lushi whispered to him quickly. “So does Yang Sun Jie.”

“Of course, it’s an outlaw city… Just stay close to me… Don’t do anything silly.” He whispered to the girls and faces Hu Zi. “After you,” He points.

Eyes of the few people around were glued onto them closely as they stood there. Yang Sun stood behind Lushi, she could feel a tension building up her spine.

“H-Hao, this way!” Hu Zi lead them.

They were soon escorted into a small living hall in the mayor’s resident that afternoon. Lushi and Yang Sun both took a seat next to Boran on the left while the mayor sat in the middle chair towards the back.

“You said General Chan told you that we were coming here?”

Yes,”

Boran nods, “Then you must know the reason why we are here? I don’t need to explain anything.”

Yes, yes… Guards, bring it in!” He yelled out and the doors opened from the entrance and walks in a strong looking guard carrying a large tray with an armor on it. “I think this belongs to the commander.”

Boran stood and walks over to the guard before he could completely walk into the room, “It’s his armor!” He confirmed it. “Where did you find it?” He turns to ask Hu Zi.

“Near the river bank of city. I think he must still be somewhere there.”

Boran quickly thought, “I’ll need your permission to search for him.”

“I already have my men searching since the day we found the armor. If you want, you can take your men and search as well.”

“Thank you,” Boran grips his fists and turns back to the armor.

“Me and Yang Sun is going along too.” Lushi jumps onto her feet like the wind.

“No, it’s too dangerous for you two to come along. The river banks are deep and rocky. You can fall in and drown.” Boran said.

“But!”

Lushi,” Yang Sun walks over and grabs her left arm, “We’ll stay back here and wait for General Dong to return. Don’t worry, I’ll look after her.”

“Yes,” Hu Zi rubs his hands as he too stood, “I’ll make sure the two girls are safe here until you come back.”

“I’ll have to bother you then, Mayor.” He thanked him and turns to the guard, “Take me where you found this armor.”

“Yes sir,” The guard bows and lead him out the room.

Lushi and Yang Sun both stood there watching as Boran left the mayor’s resident. Yang Sun felt the eyes gazing at Lushi’s back from the mayor. That evening fell quickly as Yang Sun and Lushi were escorted to rest in one of the mayor’s guest room together while Boran continued his search near the river bank.

“Are you still mad?” Yang Sun asked as she stood to the side while Lushi sat on the bed pouting.

“I don’t understand. You said it was dangerous here. Why didn’t we go with Boran Ge? He can protect us!”

"We'll only be trouble for him, what if we fall into the river? He can only chose to save one of us."

Lushi nods her head now thinking about it.

Yang Sun walks over and takes a seat next to her on the left, “… Do you trust me?” She suddenly asked out of the blue.

“… Why are you asking me that?” They stared in each other’s eyes. “I can’t say that I can trust you completely. I’ve only meet you twice; but…. You don’t seem like a bad person.”

“Trust me… Although it’s dangerous here. I will protect you.”

You! Protect me?” She laughed. “It’s more like I’ll protect you… You’re so weak looking.” Lushi said and wrapped her hands on Yang Sun’s arms. “Your arm isn’t even as big as mine.”

Yang Sun removes her hands and smiles, “Trust me… Here,” She brings over a cup of tea. “Drink this.”

“Water?”

“No, Luo City Tea.” She holds the cup still.

Lushi sighs and takes hold of the tea, “Why not? Perhaps the sweetness will cure my anger.” She said and gulps the tea down .

Yang Sun watched her as she drinks the tea in one shot and sets the cup on her lap in her hands.

“How does it taste?” Yang Sun asked.

“It tastes… A bit Bitter.” Lushi smacks her lips softly trying to taste the tea. “Wait…” She looks at the cup. “Luo City tea isn’t supposed to be bitter…” She turns to look at Yang Sun but a gush of sleepy motion came over her mind. “You… What did you put in the tea?” She placed her hands on her head as the cup fell from her lap to the ground.

Yang Sun quickly caught her and lays her on the bed, “Trust me,” She said and Lushi fell into the deep sleep.

Later that night, 2 pairs of feet crept into the hall ways of the guest rooms. It was Hu Zi, the mayor, and his servant. They were quite as a mouse creeping into the girl’s room. Hu Zi opens the doors slowly and enters the room with his servant. They saw Lushi sleeping on the bed while Yang Sun knocked out by the table.

“It worked!” The servant quietly jitter. “It worked!”

Shhh!” Hu Zi hushed his servant. “Be quiet! Hurry, take the young girl.” He told the servant and they both ran over to the bed.

They removed the blankets over Lushi’s body and carried her out the room, passing by Yang Sun. The doors were shut and they giggled off. Yang Sun slowly raised her head and waited for a moment before she exited the room herself.