Chapter 10

The Sun that never Withered

Chapter 10

 

Weiting grabs hold of the golden scroll and Haiyang wraps his hands around his back again. Although Haiyang had said a few things, teasing him earlier, it was nothing but friendly teasing.

"Congratulations!" Haiyang congratulated Weiting with a warm smile. "I know it's hard accepting this decree after what you have just gone through, but what's happened is going to happen sooner or later."

Weiting didn't say a word as he continued to clinch on the scroll in his hands.

"Don't feel pressure, if you don't want to marry Feiyang mei-mei, we can help you." Ruyang said and he looks over to her. "Haiyang is the crown prince, and I'm now the crown princess." She pulls her heavy sleeves onto her arm, gently. "Without our support, you have no chance of turning back."

Weiting felt like she was threatening him. "... No need," He spoke with glaring heavy eyes.

"What? You agree on this marriage?" She gave away a shock expression while Haiyang peeks at her secretly. He noticed how interested she was in this issue.

Weiting has always been the kind of person who didn't need anyone else to meddle in his problems. He had a high self pride and confidante in everything he does.

"I'll take care of this matter on my own." He said and reached the scroll over to Lu Geng. "Sorry, but I have other things to attend to. Please excuse me," He bows and turns around to walk towards his carriage.

"Wait!" Ruyang stops him and pokers up a false smile. "... How about this, me and Haiyang will accompany you on your journey today... Besides, without a royal order, you won't make it pass the gates of Huaijiu Hills."

Weiting knew he wasn't going to pass the gates without the order from the Emperor because he was not a royal family member, but he had already made plans to secretly enter through a rabbit hole (secret passage). But to save him the trouble of taking the long way in, he agreed to having the company.

"Hao," He nods and turns to hop into his carriage.

Ruyang turns back around to enter her carriage as well, with Haiyang following behind her. The pair of siblings were now sitting in their royal carriage, traveling out towards Huaijiu Hills behind Weiting's carriage.

"What are you doing?" Haiyang whispers to Ruyang, swaying side to side as the carriage strolled on the bumpy unpaved road. "You look rather interested in his marriage than he was... I also thought we were only going to relay the royal decree. I wasn't expecting us to travel to Huaijiu Hills with him..." He made a sour face.

She sighs as she sat on his left, "Ge, first of all, don't mistaken me. I don't like him." She said and fixes her hands onto her lap. "Second: if we don’t learn how to control Weiting right now, we can’t use him in the future... I'm only doing this for your own good." She swayed her voice.

"My own good?" He laughed at her joke. "You mean for your own good?"

"What do you mean?" She peeks at him.

"You claim that you don't like him, yet you were worried when he denied your help just now with Feiyang ... Now you're following him to Huaijiu Hills as he goes and offer prayer for Taiyang," They met their eyes. He felt like she was a bit jealous, "Tell me how am' I supposed to believe in you? We're siblings, I think I know you well enough to read you like a piece of paper."

She gave a sibling smirk, "You say you know me well, but you don't even understand what I' m doing right now. How can you claim to know me well then?" She titled her head to the side.

They were now arguing over a small detailed problem. It’s true that she didn’t like him. She only wants to use him for her future plans.

"You're my little sister, I love you, but there are things that you have to understand that you can't step over."

"Like what?"

"Weiting,"

"Why?" She blinks. "Because he is your friend?"

"Not just because he is my friend... Like royal father said, he is a pillar of our kingdom. If you screw him over, aren't you afraid he might rebel?" He glared at her, "Do you know how many soldiers the Chan family holds? How much power they have within the royal army? Did you even know that they carry half of the dragon jade?" He asked and Ruyang gulped secretly.

The dragon jade is a piece of white jade which is used to control half of the Zhao Kingdom's royal army-- even the royal body guards. While the Chan family held their half of the jade, the other half of was given to the Prime Minster.

"He isn't someone to be messed with... I'm the crown prince, even I'm afraid of his abilities." He turns to face the front with his hands on his knees.

Ruyang understood what her older brother was implying, but still insisted on trying to get Weiting to follow under her. “I don’t care, all I know is that if we help him, no matter what happens, he will owe us a debt.” She added in and her eyes sparkled with a bit of a callous feeling.

"Since we're already out here with him, behave yourself, don't be foolish!" He warned her.

Soon enough they arrived at the gates of Huaijiu Hills. Weiting’s carriage stops in front of the golden royal gates, blocking their way into Huaijiu Hills, and he hops down.

“Young Master,” Lu Geng rushes over to his side.

Weiting looks at him for a second and turns to the royal carriage behind his. There he saw Ruyang and Haiyang hopping down from their carriage.

“Crown Prince, Crown Princess,” He walks over to them. “The road was long and unpaved, I hope you both didn’t have trouble along the way here with me.”

The morning was now over and the afternoon now shifted into place.

Ruyang smiles again, “It’s okay. This is nothing, me and Haiyang has traveled with our royal father many times out of the State, we’ve gone through worse than this.”

“Yes,” Haying nods, “… Shall we?” He gestured towards the gates where 2 royal guards stood.

Weiting waits for Haiyang and Ruyang to walk in front towards the gates first and follows after them.

“Crown Prince,” The 2 guards greeted him. “Crown Princess,” They greeted Ruyang as well.

“At ease.”

“What brings you here today?” The guards asked.

They were two built men dressed in dark color armors from head to toe.

“I need the gates to be opened. I’m here to make offerings.”

The two guard’s peeks at one another quickly and then bows, “Does the emperor know that you two are here?” They also noticed Weiting and his few servants behind.

“You need the Emperor’s order for me to pay offerings to the late crown princes?” He frowns.

“W-We didn’t mean it that way,” The guards shook their heads, “It’s just… The Emperor told us that no one shall be entering the hills for a while.”

“It’s okay, we just want to make offerings to the late crown princess. If the Emperor makes it hard on you two, just say it was me who told you to bend the rules.”

The two guard’s frowns and decides to let them enter, “Hao,” They moved to the side and the older one opens the gates using a golden key. “This way,”

Haiyang nods and peeks over his shoulders towards Weiting, “Let’s go,”

Weiting bit his teeth and walks ahead of everyone with Lu Geng right behind him. A few more moments and they all came up to Taiyang’s tomb stone. It was neatly taken care of, just like the first time he saw it 5 years ago. Weiting felt a gush of guilt overcoming his body and mind. So much memories came flashing once again.

He was a bit furious still that the Emperor never solve the murder of Taiyang-- not yet at least. He felt defeated, gutless and cruel for leaving her behind like that. Haiyang and Ruyang stood a few feet away behind him, staring at his back in silence. They could feel the tension burning just by the look of his back and shoulders.

Lu Geng and Lao Li were busy setting up the food offerings near the stone with candles and incense.

“Young Master,” Lu Geng stands from the ground after laying the offering food near the stone. “It’s all ready.” He said and walks over to Weiting’s side gripping onto his sword at his left side waist.

“Hao,” Weiting sighs, “Let’s start.” His voice was a bit sadden.

Lao Li brought over 3 incense over to Weiting and they began the bowing ceremony first. Weiting kneels and bows his head for 100 times. It was a tradition for his family to bow their heads 100 times when they are doing a memorial offering. The number 100 seems to be quite special for his family.

“Why is he bowing so much?” Ruyang asked Haiyang as she watched him bowing for a few minutes. “I thought it was only three times,”

She didn’t understand their family custom, although she knew him for a while now.

Right when Haiyang was going to say something, “100 is a pure number in the Chan family.” Lao Li interrupts in whispers as he stood next to them. “When the Chan family was created years ago, they started out with only 100 loyal men. These men were the protectors of the family.”

Ruyang peeks at Lao Li.

“Did you know they actually started out as bandits?” He smiles cutely to her.

Bandits?” She gasped.

“Yes! His forefathers were bandits before being recognized by the founder Emperor of Zhao State. He gave them the general title for their hard work and loyal merits as they helped the founder Emperor fight the war against the Xiang army! For over 80 years, we’ve served the royal family with the most loyal hearts; and from then on, we’ve received a lot of love from the people and the Emperors to follow…”

Haiyang agreed, “I heard of the story before, Weiting told me a little a bit about it… The reason behind the 100 head bows shows respect for the 100 founder commander generals who lost their lives to protect Zhao State.”

“… Is that so?” Ruyang slowly understood. She knew why Haiyang didn’t want her to mess with Weiting now.

Weiting finished up his bowing ceremony and reached over his 3 incense towards Lu Geng to place it into the rice sand pit. Lu Geng then pours 3 cups of white berry wine into 3 separate cups.

“What is he doing now?” Ruyang asked.

“After the bowing ceremony, he must drink 3 cups of the family’s white berry wine as an oath offering.”

Weiting took all 3 shots in one gulp, then Lu Geng pours 3 more cups of the white berry wine.

“Oath offering?” Ruyang’s eyes didn’t look away once from Weiting.

“It’s a promise to stay loyal as a member of the Chan clan; to the dead.” Lao Li explained.

 “Loyal?” Ruyang whispered into her head. ‘Could he…’ She thought as she sequenced her eyes.

She could see feelings travling out from Weiting's body.

“Then he will have to pour 3 cups of the wine onto the grave of the deceased to seal the deal of the oath,”

Haiyang nods as he listened to Lao Li’s explanation. Weiting stood from the ground after pouring the 3 cups of wine onto Taiyang’s grave. Lu Geng then reached over a small bowl of white uncooked rice to Weiting and he grabs a handful of it.

“Now he has to spread the rice in a line in front of the tomb stone.”

“Why? This I haven'ts heard about yet,” Haiyang asked with curiosity. 

“The white rice signifies a shield for the dead. With it there, no other spirts will be able to take what belongs to the owner of the offerings.”

“I see,” Haiyang nods.

“The Chan family has a lot of traditions...” Ruyang sighs and crosses her hands in front of her.

Yes,” Lao Li scratches his head a little. “Too much to remember, your highness” He laughs a little as well.

Weiting spreads the uncooked rice onto the ground in a straight line in front of the stone and claps his hand three times ending the offering with a prayer, silently. Lao Li walks back over to the tomb stone and grabs a few more incense and returns to Haiyang and Ruyang.

“Crown Prince, Crown Princess,” Lao Li hands them each 3 incense. “Since you’re here, how about paying your respects as well?”

Haiyang and Ruyang hesitated for a second and then grabs it from Lao Li’s hands.

“Hao,” Haiyang said and did his prayers first.

Ruyang then walks over to Weiting’s side to offer her prayers next, “I didn’t know that you cared about her this much,” Ruyang quietly said and begins to give her younger sister a quick prayer with her eyes closed for a moment.

Weiting watched as Ruyang prayed.

“I always thought… That you never like Taiyang.” She said after she gave Lu Geng her incense to place into the rice sand pit.

“I never said I hated her.” Weiting turns to face her while Lu Geng and Lao Li tidy up the area.

“That’s not what Taiyang mei-mei told me.” She gave a gabby look, “She said that you thought of her as a burden, she didn’t want to be a burden to you, that’s why she got sick and died.”

“Sick and died?” His eyes swayed. “Who said she got sick and died?”

“That’s what was announced after you left. You didn’t hear?”

She wanted to spark something in him, but he already knew what she was trying to do. He kept a compose look.

“So, you didn’t hear?” She looks away with a timid laugh, “I thought you would have gotten the news while you were away for 5 years. Yes, the Emperor announced Taiyang’s death as a sickness.”

Weiting looked erratic for a moment and looks away, “Lu Geng,” He turns to face his body guard, “Pack up, we’re leaving.”

“Yes,”

Because Ruyang and Haiyang came along, he couldn't stay as long as he wished. Weiting rolled his eyes coldly and headed back towards his carriage first. Ruyang could tell that he was angry as she walks back to her carriage with Haiyang.

“Thank you for making this journey with me. If I have time, I will surely pay you both a visit in the palace.” Weiting bows again and turns to get into his carriage.

Ruyang and Haiyang both watched as Weiting’s carriage sets out first through the gates.

“What did you say to him?” He asked his sister.

“Nothing,” She lied and rolls her hands onto her belly.

Nothing? Why did he look so angry then?” He gave a heavy look to her.

“Nothing, I only told him about Taiyang’s news.”

“What news?”

You--” She paused as she stares into his eyes. “... Why can’t you trust in me?”

“I told you, don’t mess with him. It will do you no good.” He warned her and turns to hops onto a horse. “I’m heading out first, you can slowly follow behind.”

Ruyang watched as Haiyang gallops away on the horse, leaving her behind with the carriage and a few servants. She bits her lips and hops into the carriage, leaving the premises afterwards. A pair of light foot appeared from the side behind the tall trees to the left. It belonged to a young woman it seems.

 

Tiankong Palace;

 

A few days later, Weiting walks into Luyang’s chambers, as he entered the palace to pay his offical greetings to the Crown Prince and Crown Princess ealier.

Weiting?” She saw him and stood from her seat. She was havin her afternoon tea time.

She still looked the same, dressed the same and talked the same still. She was still single, and living in the palace as a princess.

“What are you doing here?” She was happy to see him, but annoyed as well.

“Greetings, 4th princess.” He bows in her presence.

At ease,” She excused him quickly and approaches him, “I never thought I’d see you again,” She smiled a little. “How have you been?” She asked, almost in tears.

Weiting noticed the tears gathering in her eyes. But why? Was she worried about him? Did she think he was dead? She was after all like an older sister to him; but she was always blaming him for hurting Taiyang. She was a bit rough and tough on the outside but a softie on the inside, he knew very well. But this was a first he is seeing her soft side.

“I’ve been good,” He lied. He removes his hands to his side, “I was in the palace and thought I’d should visit you before I head out.”

“Hao, it’s been 5 years.” She chuckles, “It’s good that you’re doing good! I was thinking about visiting you a few days ago, but I heard that the Crown Prince and Crown Princess paid you a visit, so I stayed back... They must of gave you a hard time huh?"

"It was nothing much,"

"… I heard what happened to your father.”

Weiting’s eyes swayed away for a second.

“Sorry, I shouldn't talk about this issue.”

“It’s okay. I’ll find him,”

“Yes! You will! Here, sit.” She told him and they both took a seat. “What brings you here today?”

A maid walks over to serve tea, slowly, and then steps out the room with all the other maids.

“I wanted to ask you a question.” Weiting gently rubs his left fingers together.

“Ask ahead,”

“It’s about Taiyang’s case.”

“… Taiyang?” Luyang’s eyes frowned and he noticed her face expression changed. “What about it?”

“I heard that the Emperor announced it as a sickness…”

How did he find out? Luyang was taken back for a moment.

Yes,” Luyang nods. “He did,”

“Why?” He begins to look furious. “The Emperor knew that it wasn’t like that.”

Luyang half smiled, “He knew… But what can he do?” She sighs and look away.

“… What do you mean?” He looked baffled.

Luyang sighs not wanting to talk about it, but knew she had to, “He knew, but what could he have done? Taiyang was his daughter, but the ones who likely murdered her was also his family.”

Silence walked into the room for a minute.

“… Who?”

Luyang shook her head, “I-I’m not 100% sure who it was... But my guess is...”

Who?”

Silly,” She called him and flustered a little. She could feel the worries he had, “Who else? Who else is jealous of her?”

Weiting thought for a moment. “Princess Feiyang?

Luyang nods. “Hao le, I knew that you would have been really mad about this matter, so I told my royal father not to mention it to you. I only think it’s Feiyang, I don’t have any evidence yet. Also, perhaps it wasn’t her too! But I can promise you that once I have evidence, I'll ask my royal father to give Taiyang justice.”

She wished for Weiting to wait a little longer before causing any trouble.

“I know, you’re worried that I will cause trouble.”

“Maybe,” She giggles and he stares at her.

“You… You already tried to do something about it?”

“Me? How?” She laughed again, “My mother is nothing but a royal maiden, the lowest of status for a wife of the Emperor. And I’ am nothing but a daughter of a maiden… What can I possibly do to help Taiyang’s soul?” She had no power in her voice, he noticed.

He felt her pain.

“Enough, just wait. I’ll figure something out.” She told him.

Weiting knew how loyal Luyang is towards Taiyang, but it’s been 5 years. Any longer and this case will be gone just like the wind. After his visit with Luyang, he exits the palace and returns home. As he sat in his carriage that evening, he passed the royal Huaijiu Hills yet again.

“Stop,” He told his servants to stop the carriage.

“Yes, Young Master,” The carraige suddenly stopped.

He peeks out the windows to the side and looks up to the hills. He saw the red sun going down from the sky behind Taiyang’s tomb. The colors were so beautiful, it matched her name so well. The sky was painted an array of pink, orange and yellow color while the clouds held the promise of a clam, peaceful and breezy evening.

The light has dimmed down, making him want to have one last conversation with her before night fell. He looks at her over the hills quietly, amazed by the beautiful art work on a canvas of the red sun.

 

‘Our earth rotates unnoticingly in the opposite direction of the Sun. The sun looks tired and wants to go for rest. So, we have to try to set our gaze on the dipping god less and watch it go down willingly... That way, it won't get tied too often... Of course, it turns more and more red because it wants to sleep too. The Earth will only continue its rotation to spoil our view of it.’

 

He still remembers her voice and takes a smile upon his face quickly. He gazes down to his hands and then back up to the hills. There he saw a figure standing in front of her grave. His hands tighten and he quickly jerks forward in surprised.

Who? What? How?

No one was allowed there in that time of day! Who was that standing there? He couldn’t believe his eyes.

‘Taiyang?’ He gasped and then quickly rubs his eyes.

The figure was gone. Just like that! In one second, the figure was gone!

“Young Master, can we go now?” His servant interrupts him, carefully. "It's getting dark..."

Weiting sits back slowly and spaced off into his own little world. Was he seeing things? Was it Taiyang just trying to show him that she was ok, because he was thinking about her.

“… Let’s go,” He sat back and folded his hands onto his knees as the carriage begins off again.