Chapter 17

The Sun that never Withered

Chapter 17

 

 

A brief silence came in between them.

 

 

Weiting felt a little flustered at her beauty for a second, "You said your name was Yang Sun?"

"... Yes," She nods with her knees bent as her eyes rolls back to the ground and then back to him.

Weiting scans her carefully from top to bottom and then turns to face Lushi, "Where's Boran?" He changed the subject so fast, Yang Sun released a sigh of relief.

"O-oh, Piao-Ge is in his study chambers." Lushi points with a blank stare.

Weiting's persona changed pretty quick. Lushi saw it in his eyes from yesterday's visit chat, and that a second ago, he was interested in knowing who this Yang Sun is. But now, he looked like he didn't care much after seeing her with his own eyes.

Weiting frowns as he peeks at Yang Sun one last time before heading his way towards Boran's study chambers. Meanwhile, Yang Sun secretly listened to his footsteps as he walks away from the garden.

"What was that about?" Lushi asked herself after he completely disappears from the garden.

"What?" Yang Sun gasped softly and walks to Lushi's side.

"He's acting weird..." Lushi whispered, forgetting about Yang Sun's presence.

"How?"

"He..." She caught herself almost spilling her thoughts to Yang Sun. "... Nothing." She shakes her head and ties her hands behind her. "Oh yeah, I was going to ask you, do you want to help me run into the market today?"

"For what?"

"It's Boran's birthday this weekend. I'm planning a birthday lunch for him."

"His birthday?" She thought, "... Hao ah," She agreed with a nod to her head.

While Lushi and Yang Sun headed out to the market to shop for things, while Weiting was busy conversating with Boran in his study chambers.

"What?!" Boran gasped sitting across from Weiting at the dark colored wooden table. "You're going to go ahead and proceed with the marriage?"

"Yes," Weiting nods as he plays with his fingers on his lap. "That's the only way to find out if Feiyang has anything to do with Taiyang's death."

Boran wanted to tell him to stay out of trouble, but knew for a fact that Weiting wouldn't care less on what he has to say.

"I guess," He sighs and looks away. "I have already warned you to be patient... But since you want to be a busy buddy, do what you think is best." He gave up trying to keep his friend out of trouble.

Weiting looks over and stares at him, "Yo, what happened to the busy buddy friend of mine that is always trying to stop me from getting into trouble?" He teased his friend with a smirk.

"Tsk... You wouldn't listen to me even if I tried to stop you anyways. What's the use? I can only act crazy like you now."

They both chuckled at Boran's comment, "I know that you mean good. But this issue has been bothering me for the past 5 years. I still feel like I owe a debt to Taiyang. Please understand me." His eyes softened up.

"I understand you, that is why I'm not even going to try and stop you now." Boran said and crosses his arms on his chest. "I can only help you go crazy like a mad man... Oh yeah. Did you tell your father about the marriage? I couldn't let myself to tell him when I found him, I wanted to let you tell him yourself."

"I did, but my father doesn't agree with me. He wants me to stay out of it, but I can't."

"I agree with your father, but you do what you have to do. I will always help you in any way I can. Besides, even if me and your father disagrees, the Emperor has already given out a decree! No one can escape the Emperor's decree."

Weiting was lucky to have such a caring and loyal friend like Boran. He was happy to know that someone had his back at times like this.

"Thank you," He thanked and pulls forwards, "... Oh yeah... That girl..."

"What girl?" Boran's eyes fixed on him.

"... Miss, Yang Sun."

"What about her? Did you meet her already?" Boran asked as he leans forwards on the table too.

"Um, I just met her before coming to your study chambers." Weiting replied. "But she looks rather familiar... Have I met her somewhere before?" His eyes looked confused a bit.

Boran chuckles with a 'not you too' expression, "You asking me that question, I'm not you, how am' I supposed to know?"

Weiting nods, "You're right... That was a stupid question."

Boran sat there staring at him for a few more seconds in silence, "But... Why does everyone ask that question? Your father asked the same thing."

"My father?" Weiting looked curious.

"Um, when your father first met Miss Yang Sun, he asked her the same question."

"What did she say?"

"She said no.... I didn't think of it as much since it was possible for people to look a like... But, you're now asking me the same question too, perhaps your father and you have met her before?" He phrased it in a form of a question.

Weiting leaned back into his chair with a soft sigh, "I feel like I've met her somewhere before. Her eyes looks oddly familiar... Don't you feel that way?"

"No." Boran shakes his head. "I have no time to meet new people besides your family." He in a way.

Weiting knew he had seen those eyes somewhere before, but he can't pin down, where he has seen her before? He bit his lips gently and took a moment to think to himself.

"Hao le, there's no way you could have met Miss Yang Sun. She told me that she lived in the forest all her life. She only comes out to sell herbs once every 6 months... I haven't met her before, and I'm usually with you on your travels." Boran interrupted Weiting's thoughts. "Instead, you should be telling me how you're going to proceed with this marriage... What are your plans?"

 

 

Yang Sun and Lushi was strolling down the dry pathway in the market that morning, carrying each in their hands a small sized basket.

"What else do you need?" Yang Sun asked her as she walks on the right with careful steps.

"I need..." Lushi thought as tries to remember what she needs. "Oh! A new pair of shoes!"

"Shoes?" Her head tilted a little to the side.

"Um!" Lushi nods cutely and faces Yang Sun, "You don't know, but Boran's family has this unique ritual during their birthdays where they have to have on new shoes."

Yang Sun turns to face in front of her as they continue their stroll down the path.

"I think it's weird, but I heard my father said, the Dong family has this rule that on their birthdays they must wear new cotton shoes. It represents good fortune." Lushi blushes as she holds onto her basket.

Yang Sun saw her sudden face turning red, "You must love him a lot to even remember that detailed."

Lushi choked, "W-What? Love?" She became a little embarrassed. "It's true, I like Piao-Ge, but... He doesn't see the same way I do." Her voice lowered.

"It's okay... Time... That's what love needs. One day, he will see your love and by then you two can be happy." Yang Sun told her to make her feel a bit happier.

"You think so?" Lushi grabs her left arm softly with a bit of hope lighting in her eyes.

"I know so... Besides, you're so cute, Boran wouldn't dare reject you."

"Tsk. What do you know? Ever since you arrived, Boran already rejected me." She gasped with a cute expression of annoyance and released Yang Sun's arm.

Yang Sun felt a little guilty but didn't give much thought since she held no feelings towards Boran.

"But... You really don't like him?"

"Me? Like Boran?" Yang Sun flustered.

"Yes! The way he looks at you is different when he looks at me. I can tell that he likes you.... I grew up with him, so I know him very well! If you dare fight with me for Piao-Ge-- I tell you, I won't back down so easily!" She has her hands rolls into two small fists in her face.

Yang Sun laughs at her cute threat as they came to a stop, "I'm grateful that he has saved me a few times," She takes her hands and uses them to remove Lushi's fists out of her face, "But I don't like him like you do. He's a friend that I just met, besides, he's not my type of guy."

Lushi growls cutely, "That's what they all say at first." She whispered and tucks her hands back onto the handle of her basket. "And then they fight to death just to have the affection from the guy."

Yang Sun laughs at her again and Lushi secretly peeks at her, "Then... What about you? You claim that Boran isn't your type... Do you have someone you like?" She asked suddenly and Yang Sun's smiled turns upside with a tint of sadness.

What was this? Lushi saw the sad look and bit her lips. Did she say something wrong?

"I don't." Yang Sun lied and turns to look back onto the path in front of them. "... Hao le, let's go get those new shoes for Boran and head back. We've been gone for an hour now, he must be looking for us."

"See, see, see..." Lushi points her finger at Yang Sun like she had done something wrong, "Didn't you just say that you didn't like Boran like that? But his name comes out so easily from your mouth, saying weird things like he will worry about you if you go out too long."

Yang Sun shakes her head side to side for a second and smirks, "You--- you're still a child. Now I understand why Boran can't find it in him to like you-- yet." She said loud enough for herself to hear only.

"Who are you to him? He could be worry about me, but not you!" She complained like a child.

"Hao le! Boran will get worried about you if we stay out here too long, let's get going." Yang Sun said and walks off first.

"Wait for me! We're not one talking!"

 

 

Lushi and Yang Sun arrived back to the Dong Manor and into the main hall they entered; where Weiting and Boran were now having tea.

"You two are surely getting along fine now." Boran teased them both, especially Lushi. "I thought you didn't like Miss Yang Sun?" He set his small cup of tea on the side of the table.

Lushi stuck her tongue at him, "Tsk. Mind your own business!"

Weiting looks over as well and first thing he looked at was Yang Sun's eyes. She locked eyes with him and then shifted her gaze at Boran with a secretive nervous sweat.

"Sorry, I kept Lushi out a while longer."

"No need to apologize." Boran smiled. "Why did you two go out anyways?"

"Girl things!" Lushi said quickly before Yang Sun could reply. "You don't need to know."

Boran takes in a deep breath and stands on his feet, "You didn't go out to buy me new shoes did you?" He guessed right and Lushi frowns at him.

"You always ruin everything!" She complained with a pout as he walks to her side to poke fun at her.

"It's not that I always ruin everything. I just know, because you do the same thing every year." He pokes her cheeks cutely. "Didn't I tell you that I don't want to celebrate my birthday this year? Why don't you listen?"

Lushi turns away with an angry face. "Loser," She cursed at him underneath her own breathe and runs off.

"Eh!" Boran gasped but she had gone far off already.

"Hao le, Lushi spent a long time getting things ready for your birthday this weekend." Yang Sun spoke on her behalf. "Just pretend that you don't know what's going on."

Boran sweetly smiles at her, "H-Hao,"

"Then... You two have a good chat, I'll go and put the things away." She said as she was holding onto her basket.

"Hao," Boran excused her and she exited the hall.

Weiting watched her walk out the room and bit his lips softly. "... You like her?" He asked Boran.

"W-What?" Boran looks at him and takes his seat. "Like her?" He pretended not to understand his friend.

Weiting smirks to the side, "I've never seen you act so awkward with a girl before...." He sighs, "Hao le, I'll be on my way now." He stands up on his feet, "I've been here for a few hours already. I still have a few things to take care of at home."

"Hao, then... I'll make sure to follow the plan thoroughly."

Weiting nods, "Thank you," He thanked his friend and exits the hall as well.

 

A few moments later, Yang Sun was seen walking her way down the path towards the garden, yet again. She was searching for something that she had dropped there a few hours earlier.

"Where is it?" She was seen bended to the ground searching in the nearby flower pots. Her fingers rushed against the soft lilies and roses. "I can't have lost it..."

Weiting had to pass the garden to exit the Dong Manor and spotted her on the ground. He stops and stares at her from the side.

"Aiya!" The thorns on the roses pokes her finger and she bled a little.

Weiting blinks a few times and walks to her heed, "What are you doing there on the ground?" He approached her and asked.

She looks up and stands on her feet with a pale look, "I lost something... I'm searching for it." She replied and lowered her head.

He scans her again quickly and then turns to look at the flower pots. "What?" He asked and she peeks at him. "What did you lose?"

She didn't want to tell him for he will for sure know who she is. "It's nothing. It's just a small item that I lost earlier. I will search for it myself." She bows using her knees and turns to walk away.

"Wait!" He stops her and digs out a handkerchief in his chest pocket.

He walks in front of her and grabs her right hand, wrapping the oddly familiar handkerchief around her finger. "I'm only lending this to you. You must return back to me." He told her and ties a knot with it.

She took one glance at it and frowns with shock. It was the handkerchief that he had given to her on her birthday, 6 years ago. She had thought that she had lost it, why was it in his possession? She was confused.

"This..." She whispered and he removed his hands from hers.

"Don't lose it." He glared at her forehead since she was looking down from his eyes the entire time.

"Yes," She bows.

Weiting didn't understand why he just did what he did, but she had something about her that pulled him in. He cleared his throat and turns to walk out of the garden. Yang Sun took her left fingers and gently patted the handkerchief that was tied into a beautiful knot around her right finger.

She smiled a little, "He... He had it all along?" She whispered to herself.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

Sorry for being gone too long! Life has been SUPER BUSY! lol Will update more as soon as I can! :)