Not So Bad

Champions (Moonsun FanFiction)

Moonbyul was left utterly confused but mostly guilty. Maybe I went too far? I didn't think she'd take volleyball so seriously... 

 

Byul would soon find out that volleyball was the only thing Yongsun was completely devoted to. With no other idea, the blonde apologized to the crowds of people and went to chase after her rival.

------------

"Kim Yongsun!" The shouts continued but no reply was given. 

Yongsun was hiding in one of the many bathrooms of Yonsei, tears spilling out of her eyes. Luckily, no one was in or had shown up in the bathroom, leaving Yongsun the space and privacy she needed at that moment. 

She cried, thinking how all her hard work was useless since she just lost in the end. Stupid Byulyi! I know I'm not strong... 

"Yongsunnnnn! KIM YONGSUN!" The shouts came closer and Solar panicked. Oh no.. 

The door to the bathroom opened, "Kim Yongsun? Are you here?" With panic in her heart, Yongsun rushed to the door and tried to run past Byulyi. Obviously, that did not work as Byul grabbed her wrist before the smaller girl could go anywhere else. 

"I've been running nonstop trying to find you, I'm not letting you go...", Byul said. She was glad that no one else was around them, for it would have been an embarrasing moment. "Can we talk please?" 

"No", was what Yongsun had wanted to say but there was so much guilt and concern laced in her rival's voice that she had to give in. All she could muster out was a "hmph" type of noise and Byul got the hint that, that meant "yes". 

Byul started to walk, neither of the two noticing that the taller girl's hand was still on Yongsun's wrist. 

"There's this cool place I found while we were on tour...", Byulyi said, guiding Solar. "I mean it looked pretty cool". 

Pretty cool it was indeed. The place hadn't been far from where they were and to top it off, it had a killer view. It was like a large balcony connected to the already large building. The floor was completely white and there were small round tables with chairs placed around. When they reached the end, there had been a crazy site of the city and sunset. 

"Beautiful..", Yongsun murmered as she leaned against the balcony fence, preventing her from falling to her death. The sunset gave off a warm, orange glow that shadowed over the city. As night was creeping onto South Korea, the soft, slow wind came in, making both the girls feel at peace. 

"You know, I'm sorry....about what happened earlier", Moon Byulyi started. Yongsun hadn't said anything, this was cue for Byulyi to keep going. 

"I didn't realize that volleyball was so important to you." Still nothing said from the older. "Since we're going to be teammates, I hope we can be on good terms." Byul put out her clenched fist, hoping to get a fist pump from Solar, who was looking at anything to avoid eye contact. Both of them were equally as horrible and awkward when it came to socializing. Solar had just noticed that Byulyi's hand was removed from her wrist when she put her hand out for a fist pump. Yongsun blushed a little, this had been an odd scenario. 

 Instead of returning the fist pump like any other normal person would do, Yongsun stuck out her index finger and poked Byulyi's hand so quickly that the taller girl didn't even realize the contact. And before Byul knew it, Solar ran back into the building half-yelling, "Volleyball is my life!" 

What an interesting girl.., Byul thought as she slowly made her way back into the building and back to the tour, which she would easily find with all the athletes gathered in one spot. 

Byulyi might not be that bad afterall..., Solar thought as she walked through a random hallway, hoping to find any signs of the tour. But she's still my rival, and I refuse to play side by side with her!

-----

Flashback to Yongsun's highschool life..

Freshman year: 

It was the middle of spring and volleyball had finished, but Yongsun was still working to get her athleticism up. She was making her way to the soccer field of her school, since she received a letter in her locker telling her to go there. Her friends assumed it was a love note and someone was trying to confess to her, which was true, but Yongsun was so naive when it came to anything love-related. She never knew what it felt like to actually like somebody, since she was so focused on training. 

She arrived at the field only to see a tall boy in his school uniform waiting for her arrival. 

"H-hi", he stuttered with a blush and surprised look on his face. He probably didn't expect Yongsun to show up. 

"Hey", the girl replied with a dimpled smile, which only caused the boy to blush more. Yongsun noticed his red face but didn't really know why he was like that. 

"You okay?", she asked. 

"Y-yeah I'm fine, I actually wanted to- uh- tell you something. You got my note right?" 

"So that was who it was! What's your name?" Ouch.

"I'm actually your classmate", he said, losing confidence. "My name is Minhyuk.." Solar felt guilty and even a little bit sad, she had never really payed attention to her classmates. The look on Minhyuk's face made Solar feel really bad for him. 

"Ah....sorry", she said awkwardly. Suddenly, the ground became really interesting to look at. 

"Um.. it's okay, but- uh- yeah I'd like to say something, really... important to you if you dont mind." Yongsun nodded and said a quick "sure" while smiling.
Minhyuk gulped, "Kim Yongsun, I really really like you and I was just wondering if you'dmaybegooutwithme?" The last part came out like a blob, making it a little difficult to understand but Yongsun got the gist. She was never good with confessions, and she received a lot of them through her high school years, mostly because she was "hot". 

"Minhyuk....", she started. "I'm sorry.... I can't say that I feel the same way." The boy turned his head to the ground, a frown appearing on his face. "No I don't have a boyfriend, and I'd rather focus on volleyball than love. Sorry", Solar tried to turn him down in the nicest way possible. 

Minhyuk forced a smile and a laugh, "That's cool, maybe we can be friends then?" Yongsun, being the nice person she was, said yes. But the only person she really befriended after a confession was Kim Nam-joon, who liked to be called Rap Monster or Rap Mon. He had been dared to ask her out, obviously she said no, but they started seeing other more often at school and ended up hanging out as friends. 

Minhyuk and Byulyi kind of look alike, Yongsun thought as she found the tour group. 

Solar constantly read about things or heard about things from classmates consisting of lovers. She's heard how your heart is supposed to speed up, how hate and love are super close, how being around each other is the most comforting thing. Yet, she still hasn't felt any of that towards anyone. With Moon Byulyi as a new teammate and rival, hate was indeed a word to be used.....

But so was love. 

----

A little MoonSun and backstory for Solar, more friends and story on Moonbyul will be introduced in the next chapter :) thanks for reading and for subscribing!