Episode 4: Staring contest

Sweetheart

Sangdo's birthday is coming up in just a couple of days and even though you've just met him recently, you want to give him a nice gift... But what can you give him? You just started to get to know him as a person and you have no idea what he likes and what he doesn't. You spend a lot of time thinking and wondering what can you get him. A shirt? But, you don't know his size. A hat? What if he doesn't like it? Free coffee for a month? Well, that's gonna get paid off your paycheck, but at this point, It's your best idea. You text your Rina and ask her for suggestions. You're open to hear anything.

"Well, you can go see a movie together or go to the park and walk. Or, you can eat something at a nice restaurant" Rina suggested.

"It doesn't sound bad, but that's something couples do... And we're just friends. I don't want to freak him out by asking him on a date or anything" you replied

"Then I don't know, I ship you two, so it's hard for me not to suggest a date 😂"

"Lol, Thanks but I'll keep thinking on something else. Thank you!" you put your phone down and start getting ready for work. You have a night shift today so you practically slept all day just to be energyzed enough to be working until midnight. You've been having night shifts for the past few days so you haven't been able to see Sangdo, and since you don't have his phone number, you can't tell him you've been working at night.

You arrive on time and start working almost instantly. The Cafe was packed with so many people and it made you feel a little anxious. They were all teenage girls which makes you very curious.

"Why is there so much people here today?" You asked your co-worker

"I don't really know. They've been here for a while. It looks like they've been waiting for someone. Or maybe it's because I'm that handsome" he said while he was about to leave.

You glared at him and then laughed "oh come on, you can't be the reason why they're all here" you say jokingly

"Pfft thank you for lowering my self esteem" he said "oh I almost forgot! There's something for you under the counter. Someone came asking for you this afternoon and gave that to me so I would give it to you"

You look under the counter and there was a napkin under a cup with something written on it.
- "Let me know when you're working. I miss your coffee. Here's my number so text me when you are here. -Sangdo"

You opened your eyes wide surprised that he actually wrote his number on a napkin... just for your coffee? You take out your phone and saved his number.

You start typing: "Hey, it's me, y/n. I read your message, I'm at the Cafe right now" you send it and lift your head to attend a costumer that just arrived.

"Hello! What can I get.....you?.... Sangdo?" You try guessing just by seeing his eyes which were the only part of his face you could see. He was wearing a hat and a black mask.

"How did you know it was me?" He asked while he lowered his mask a little

"Because of your eyes... and your ears too actually"

He laughed and touched his ears "they do give me away huh?" He checked his phone and then looks at you. "Oh you texted me"

"Yes, I just saw your letter. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my night shift this days. The last time we saw each other was the day..." you pause and blushed at the memory of you curing Sangdo's lip. "...that day of your photoshoot" you concluded

"Oh yeah, the day that my soul got burned with extremely hot coffee" he said laughing. "Speaking of which, can you make me a cup please?" You nod and proceed to make Sangdo his coffee and hand it to him.

"Ah, I missed this. I drank other coffees in this couple of days but as I said, yours is the best" he said pleased and happily. You laugh and keep talking but at the same time, you hear many whispers and it's getting on your nerves. You start looking around you and there's a bunch of girls looking at you and talking secretly.

"What's with teenage girls now a days?" You complain a little annoyed by the stares.

"Oh. Yeah. Those are... fans" he said carelessly

"Fans? You mean your Fans?"

"Yeah.. one of them saw me entering here the day of the photo shoot and recognized me. Since that day, there has been more girls each day. They knew I came here often so yeah... I guess the word spreads fast, right?" He said while he chuckled a little

"Is it funny though? Doesn't it bother you even a bit?" You said worried with a hint of annoyed because of the sneaky stares.

"No, they don't bother me at all. They just look at me a lot and wave at me when I wave at them. Just a couple of them have come to me to say hi. I guess they are pretty shy. I tried to be under cover  today so they couldn't notice me passing by, but I saw you and then I had to enter" 

"Oh.. okay" you keep talking but you're feeling kind of insecure and you start physically feeling the stares penetrating your skin.
Some fans start to notice that you and Sangdo are talking a lot and being friendly so they started to take pictures. Sangdo notices and gets up immediately and starts walking towards the girls who took the pictures.

"Excuse me, I don't want to be rude but please don't take pictures of me or my friend. That's invasion of privacy. I'd be very happy if you don't post those pictures online. Thank you" he smiles, turns around, and goes back to you. The girls felt embarrassed and left.

"Thank you for that, Sangdo. I was feeling uncomfortable with those phones pointing at us"

"Yeah I noticed. That's why I got up and told them. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable around me because of that." He said a little embarrassed

"Thank you" you said and smiled a little
There was a moment of silence between you two, but Sangdo didn't take his eyes off you. You start to look somewhere else because if you look at his eyes, you start blushing immediately. 

"Are you alright?" Sangdo said while seeking eye contact.

"Y-Yeah I'm okay. Can you... please stop looking at me?" You say avoiding his eye contact 

"Huh? Why? I like to make eye contact with the person I talk to. I'm sorry, I won't if you don't like it" he said giving you a sweet look 

"No it's not that I dont like it. It's your eyes--"

"You dont like my eyes?" He interrupts with a sad voice

"No. I mean, yes, I do. That's why it makes me nerv... weird."

Sangdo stays silent but keeps looking at you. "Come on, get rid of your fear. Staring contest for a few seconds and you'll stop feeling weird, I promise" he gets up and leads you to an empty table, you sit in front of him and take a silent deep breath before you start.

"Okay lets go" you say. You start your staring contest and you already feel your ears getting warm

 "oh No! I don't want him to see me turn red" you though to yourself and tried to think about something else while you were looking at his eyes. It's so difficult, because each second you keep looking into his eyes, you keep falling deeper and deeper into them. His eyes have a spark that you have never seen in anyone else's. He can say a thousand words with those eyes without having to open his mouth. "They are so beautiful... I can stare at those eyes all day" you think to yourself and unconsciously let out a smile. Sangdo sees your smile and looks away losing the contest.

"HA! you lost! I think I feel better now, that actually works! Thank you!" you say getting up quickly, but its a lie... your hart is racing like never before. You can't get over those eyes that easily.

"Ah I can't believe I got distracted!"

"Distracted by what?" You ask

"Someone... made an unexpected move that made me lose" he gives out a shy smile and gets up "Please excuse me while I go to the bathroom for a second" 

"Alright" you say as Sangdo turns around. You go behind the counter and start playing a game on your phone. There are no new costumers at the time so it's okay.

The door closes behind him

Sangdo's POV
-looking at himself on the mirror-
What is this...? why did my heart start beating so fast when she smiled...? I don't think that staring contest was a good idea. My heart was beating hard the whole time. Ahh! Her eyes are so pretty. Why did I do this to myself. It worked for her, Why not for me? Come on Yu Sangdo snap out of  it! You can't fall in love. Not right now when you're in the middle of your comeback. Sangdo think...
Okay what if I start counting every time she does something that makes my heart beat faster. When it hits 10, I will let myself fall in love no matter what. Seems like a good plan... I'll start immediately...

☆Back to you☆

"Damn, he's been a while. I hope he's okay" you say worried

He gets out of the bathroom and goes to you. He sits infront of the counter putting his arms on it.

"Hey, everything okay? Are you feeling sick or something?" You say looking at him with worried puppy eyes and putting your hand over his. He looked up with wide eyes and stared at you for a second, then looked down...

 *sigh* "I'll start tomorrow..."