Chapter 17

Magical lives are made of this.

Hiii ^ - ^

I'm deeply sorry for being MIA these past months :( However, there is a reason why! I was preparing my application for a Master's Degree and had to work on 5 projects like crazy so I had 0 time to write/read/doanythingexpectworkworkwork! But now my application is sent and I'm enjoying my free time! 

Here is a new chapter! I'm writing the final chaps of this story and I can't believe I'm achieving this... I just love to write this so much! 

(Also, someone pointed out to me that there are quite a few chpaters rated M or TW which I did just to be on the safe end of the site but, I'll revise these chapters and change the ratings in case it is bothering someone else ^^)

Anyway, I'm gonna stop boring you with my life and let you read! Happy Reading <3



 

 

The day for the second trial had arrived and everyone at Hogwarts was excited to see what the Championship had in store for the four champions. However, there was one student who wasn’t that thrilled about the test.

"We’ve been already through this Yu." Yixing sighed when his girlfriend hugged him tighter before starting to walk to the magical Arena. He stopped when Yu didn’t began to walk.

"I know. Just be careful, please."

"It’s a Potion Championship baby, I’m not fighting dragons or enchanted labyrinths…" Yu rolled her eyes at Yixing’s words.

"But they didn’t give you another clue for this trial! It COULD be dangerous."

"I’m starting to feel a bit offended on your faith in my skills, you know?" He trying to change the mood around them.

"I trust your abilities. I don’t trust the world." Yu explained with a huff. Yixing chuckled and side hugged her leaving a peck on her lips. Yu blushed.

"This discussion would have been useless if I don’t leave right now. They are probably waiting for me." He got up and began walking again. "I’ll see you later. Cheer loud for me, okay?!" He waved her goodbye while he was walking. Yu sighed but waved back, she had to meet the others at the Quad to go to Arena together once the public was allowed to go in.

She just hoped everything would be okay.

 

 

 

"Are you seeing what I’m seeing or did someone spiked my juice this morning?!" Jongdae’s voice was loud as he looked at the two people approaching them with wide eyes. The others turned around and some gasps were heard too.

"Oh yes, it happened last night apparently…" Kyungsoo answered with a smirk.

"Hi guys!" Baekhyun waved to his friends with his left hand since his right hand was entertained with Mina’s. The Slytherin girl was a blushing mess.  "Sorry to keep you waiting. Let’s go?"

"Uh…would you mind explaining that first?" Suho asked him with a pointed look to their hands. Baekhyun just rolled his eyes.

"Mina and I are dating, surprise! Can we go now? We’re going to be late!"

"Okay, okay, let’s go everyone!" Kyungsoo said while pushing a sputtering Dae and a still astonished Suho to start walking. Mina looked at Baek smiling and pointed at her friends on the back. Both of them with equal surprised expressions on their faces.

"I’m going to do damage control back there." She whispered making him chuckle and nod.

She slowed her pace a bit to get reunited with them. When she was next to the other girls they were still astonished about the news.

"I’m sorry but, we did talk last night right?" Roro asked with a frown on her face. "I didn’t dream that, did I?"

"No honey, we did talk last night." Mina giggled.

"So, how come you didn’t tell us about this?!"

"Hahaha well… This kind of happened later." She shrugged blushing a bit.

"OH MY GOD, Mina!" Roro half whispered, half screamed. "You have to tell us EVERYTHING."

"Yeah but later okay? We have to support Yixing now!"

"As the girlfriend I give you permission to momentarily forget about that and explain in detail what happened!" Yu quickly said in a hushed whisper. Both Roro and Mina giggled.

"Seriously girls, I’m still not sure how it happened, I just…" Mina sighed and smiled.  "I bumped into him when I was going back to my dorm and I don’t know, we talked, he confessed and I don’t know, it just happened."

"Oh my god, he confessed?" Roro asked covering her opened mouth. "Mina that’s so great!"

"Yes, yes but… what did he say? I mean Mina, details are important!"

"Hahaha well, stuff, he… Okay so," Mina took a deep breath "he asked why I had been avoiding him and then he asked if I was dating Jongin." Roro yelped at that "I know, dumb. So, I kinda got fed up and told him it was none of his business and then…" Mina avoid her friends eyes blushing "Then he said he considered his business who the girl he likes is dating or not." A loud squeal was heard from the other two girls, attracting the attention of the male of their group and other people around them. Baekhyun looked at them smirking and shaking his head but stopped when Chanyeol rounded him with his arm teasing him.

"That’s SO romantic!"

"Bit cliché but nice, nice." Yu nodded. "We approve!"

Roro nodded her head enthusiastically at Yu’s affirmation while Mina laughed at her friends silliness and relished on the warm feeling in her chest. It felt great to be surrounded by people who loved you.

 

They were getting through the entrance of the Arena when someone collided with Mina making her fall to the ground.

"You should look where you are walking, mudblood." A deep voice hissed at her.

"Yeah, learn you place you filthy–"

"I dare you to finish that sentence!" Roro stood in front of her friends taking out her wand.

"Ooooh, do you think I’m afraid of a tiny Gryffindor?" Purtrefs mocked her taking her wand out too.

"You should." Another voice said behind them. Chanyeol walked to them with his wand pointing to both Slytherins. "Why don’t you apologize and leave them alone? "

Before anyone could do anything Professor Viola appeared from the entrance and looked at them with a threatening look. Everyone put their wands down but kept their gazes on each other.

"I’m going to pretend I didn’t see you threatening each other just now because no hexes were casted. However, I advise you to go back inside and root for our Hogwarts’ champion before I change my mind."

"Yes professor!" All of them said.

"NOW!" 

The girls and Chanyeol scattered quickly inside the Arena while the other two Slytherins kept walking outside the Arena, whispering to each other and sending daggers to their backs.

Once inside, Chanyeol turned around to look at the three of them.

"Are you girls okay?"

"It’s okay Chanyeol." Mina answered for them. "It was small collision, really."

"You didn’t need to save us or whatever, we had it under control." Yu said looking at him with cold eyes.

"I got worried when I realized you weren’t following us and decided to go check on you, I wasn’t trying to–"

"Well, you shouldn’t be worrying about us." Roro interrupted him. "If someone has to do it should be their boyfriends and my brother, if anything." She stressed the word brother but kept a fake smile on her face.

"We should go, it’s about to start." Mina said quickly before Chanyeol was able to answer again. She took Roro’s hand and began walking with Yu behind them.

Chanyeol looked at them with a frown on his face and deeply sighed following the girls to where the rest of the group was. When he arrived to their seats the girls were explaining what had happened. Baekhyun looked angry while Mina assured him everything was okay. He was getting to his seat next to Suho and Jongdae when he saw Xiumin caress Roro’s right arm in a comforting gesture. The Gryffindor girl smiled at him, really smiled at him and they began talking. He felt a red anger fill him up and sat down with a huff. Jongdae looked at him with a raised eyebrow but he just shook his head. He needed to clarify this stupid mess once and for all before it was too late.

 

 

 

They were 30 minutes into the Trial and all that could be heard was silence inside the big Arena. It wasn’t an action packed test but it was a dangerous and nerve wracking one. Each champion had a table full of poisons in front of them. They had to classify them by mortality level. After that had been done they had to taste the least dangerous ones to verify it was correct. The judges had the antidotes ready of course, but even then testing poisons was a tricky subject because even if the symptoms were the same, in general, each poison reacted different on each person so it was always a risk.

Roro was crushing her brother’s hand due to how nervous he was feeling. This championship may not be as physically challenging as the Triwizard tournament was but it was as dangerous for sure. She didn’t know how Yu was able to keep watching Yixing drink poison after poison without shouting for him to stop. She wanted to hit her professors for making her friend go through this and Yixing was just that, her friend. She didn’t know what she would do if it was Chanyeol. Well, not Chanyeol. She couldn’t think about him like that. He was taken now. Taken. Then why the hell does he keep giving me side looks? Stop it! She couldn’t wait for this trial to be over.

It was fifteen minutes after that internal battle that Headmistress McGonagall took the center stage of the Arena to address the crowd of students.

"The second trial is done!" Cheers and applauds were heard. "After checking everything carefully the judges have delivered their decision. Since this there was just one champion who got everything right and the other three mistakes are difficult to level, we have decided to award points to the only champion who completed the task." The crowd was a mix of cheers and boos. McGonagall raised her hand asking for silence. "The only champion who was skilled enough to identify the Swooping Evil venom, a colorless substance with a very faint smell was…" she stopped for dramatic effect and then smiled. "Mister Zhang!"

The moment Yixing’s surname was out of the Headmistress’ mouth the crowds went bonkers. Cheering and applause were heard. Yixing looked up to where his friends were all waving at him and smiling like crazy. He chuckled and bowed to the crowd. then he proceeded to comfort his rivals and shakes hands with all of them. He had just shook Victoria’s hand when Mr. Filch got inside the Arena running with an alarmed expression on his face towards the Headmistress. The cheers stopped and everyone in the Arena looked at the interaction between Filch and McGonagall. The witch leaned to listen what Filch had to say with a bit of an annoyed look for being interrupted but then her face changed to one of pure fear and distress. She said something back to the caretaker and turned with a more controlled face to the crowd.

"Please all the students follow your houses’ Prefects and go back to your dorms. Nobody is allowed to go out until further notice."

Everyone began to look at each other wondering what could have happened. Suho, Mina and Baekhyun moved quickly to gather their respective students and guide them back to the dorms. Some people began panicking and Jongdae hold Roro’s hand tighter.

"Don’t let go." He told her as they practically ran out of the Arena. She nodded keeping her eyes on the ground not to trip.

With her brother’s hand tightly holding hers and Chanyeol’s hand on her waist to keep her from falling due to the amount of people pushing and shouting to get out there, Roro made her way out of the mess twenty minutes later. The three Gryffindors said goodbye to their friends and followed their Prefect to the dorms.

"What do you think is going on?" Chanyeol whispered to them.

"I don’t know but it has to be something really bad to put that look on McGonagall’s face." Jongdae answered with a dark look on his eyes.

"Do you think someone died…?" Roro asked frightened. Her brother squeezed her hand and throw a reassuring smile to her.

"Everything is going to be alright, okay? Don’t be afraid, Sis." The moment Jongdae squeezed her hand she felt more relaxed and sent him a small smile too.

"Let’s keep going."

Nobody was allowed to go out of their dorms until the next morning. However, Minho told them while they were on their common room that someone had been attacked while the Trial was being held. They didn’t know who did it but it was someone from the Castle for sure and the victim had been able to wound the perpetrator. Roro wasn’t able to fall asleep until very late that night and even when she did, she didn’t have the best sleep.

 

 

 

The following morning at breakfast, avoiding the Gryffindor Keeper was the last thing on her mind when she sat down next to Linda on the Great Hall. Her friends looked at her surprised but she just ignored it.

"Have you heard about what happened?" She asked Linda.

"Everyone is talking about that but nobody knows who is the victim. However, Professor Longbottom is missing from the teacher’s table." She pointed to the front of the Great Hall where all the teachers ate.

"Do you think it was a Hufflepuff student?" Dae joined the conversation. Linda shrugged.

"I don’t know but it could be. Not everyone has showed up to breakfast."

"Maybe he is being consulted on the matter or something." Chanyeol pointed out. "He did work as an Auror before coming to Hogwarts." The others hummed at his words.

"Whatever it is we’ll find out soon." Roro said pointing to Headmistress McGonagall who was walking in front of the table to address the students.

She clapped twice asking for silence and when all the attention was on her. She began.

"As some of you might know, something horrible happened yesterday at our home."  She took a deep breath. "Professor Longbottom was attacked inside his office while the Second Trial of the Potion Championship was being held."

A lot of gasps and choked sound were heard from the student body. Everyone began whispering.

"We don’t know who the perpetrator is yet. However, we are working on it and the Ministry is sending some of his best Aurors to investigate the attack. That’s why, all the students are required to answer their questions and walk in groups wherever they are going to. We are going to keep curfew as it is until further information is known. Finally, don’t let this affect your routines and try to stay calm. Thank you, enjoy the rest of your Sunday!"

 

"Well, that does explain why he wasn't sitting on the table." Jongdae said when McGonagall went back to her place. Everyone shared the same worried look. "You heard her, we have to stay calm." He stressed the last word smiling.

"Dae is right." Chanyeol spoke up. "They are sending Aurors so, we will be more protected. Everything would be fine."

They all nodded and smiled at each other. Roro looked at the Hufflepuff’s table were the students looked concerned and wished that Chanyeol was right.

 

 

Later that day, Roro was coming out of the kitchen where she had been hanging out with Isha and avoiding certain someone when that someone appeared in front of her.

"Hey Roro! I was looking for you." Chanyeol tried to keep his voice as casual as he could. He needed to talk to the girl and clear everything out but she was either nowhere to be found or always busy with her friend so he couldn’t interrupt.

"Uhm… actually I have to go back to the dorms quickly" The girl answered avoiding his eyes. "I promised Linda I would help her with her Potion’s assignment."

"This won’t take long, I promise!" Chanyeol said before the girl could escape again.

"Can we talk later? I’m quite late…"

"Well then, can you stop avoiding me?" Chanyeol asked when the girl turned around to leave again. Roro stopped after Chanyeol’s words. She closed her eyes cursing her luck and swallowed the lump on . There was no way out, she had to do this.

"Look Chanyeol, I’m sorry but I really need some space–"

"Let’s talk and then I’ll give you the space you want, if you still want it." He said exasperated.

"Look it’s nothing personal…"

"The hell it is!" Chanyeol said getting angry. "I know you heard me talking to Victoria but it isn’t what you think." He tried to explain.

"You don’t owe me an explanation!" Roro interrupted him. "I’m sorry I eavesdropped but I’m really happy for you Chanyeol! She told me how much in love you were when you were younger and I think it’s great!" She talked quickly without giving him the chance to interrupt her. She needed to do this. She had to be happy for him.

"That’s not what happened!"

"You said you were happy!" She shouted at him once she couldn’t stand it anymore. She was trying to be happy for him, couldn’t he see that?

"Not about her liking me!" He shouted back at her.

"What?" Roro asked frowning. He made no sense.

"I said I was happy because she said she wasn’t going to lie to me but I–"

"RORO!" Yu’s voice interrupted Chanyeol. Both Gryffindors turned around to see Yu and Mina running to where they were. Both girls had a urgent expressions and were sweating a bit due to the running. "We need to talk. NOW!"

"We are kind of in the middle of something Yu…" Chanyeol said to the girl with a frown. "An important something."

"This is more urgent, you come too Park!" Mina said taking Roro’s hand and running down the stairs to the kitchen. Chanyeol frowned at them but followed the girls nonetheless. Hopefully he would have a chance to explain himself after they were done. It was about time.

 

 

 

The group was gathered together inside Isha’s spot in the kitchen. After the girls and Chanyeol arrived it took the others five minutes before everyone was there. Even Jongin who Baekhyun made a clear point to stand between him and Mina. The Hufflepuff’s boy smiled tightly at him and looked away. He didn’t know what he was doing there.

"Can you tell us what this is about Mina?" Suho asked what everyone was thinking. "I have a lot to study today."

"It won’t take long, I swear!" Yu answered instead of her friend. "But before we say anything, Mina has to explain something."

All the eyes turned to look at her and she felt a bit self-conscious. What she was about to tell the rest wasn’t easy but she had to do it. She took a deep breath and began telling the others about the bullying Purtrefs and Leveratag put her through. She also told everyone about her investigation with Baekhyun and what they had found out. Several gasps and nods were heard and seen during her retell of the facts. After she finished the story she waited to see how they reacted. Roro was the first one to speak.

"Why didn’t you tell me?!" She asked upset. "You told Yu!"

"I didn’t want to worry you but I was going to tell you as soon as we were alone. I told Yu two days ago!"

"I’m sorry you had to go through that Mina…" Yixing said in a small voice. "If I had known…"

"It’s okay Xing." Yu interrupted him. "She didn’t want to mess with your chances at the Championship."

"Even then, you should report them!" Suho complained and then turned to look at Baekhyun. "You are a Prefect, you are supposed to report this kind of behavior. She is your girlfriend for God’s sake!"

"She asked me not to!" Baekhyun said on his defense.

"Okay, okay everyone!" Jongin interrupted all his seniors. Suddenly, ten pairs of eyes were on him. "I’m sure Mina had a point when she told us all these things, right Mi?" He looked at her friend encouraging her. Mina smiled back at him and Baekhyun frowned.

"Jongin is right. I had a point." Mina looked at Yu for reassurance. He friend stood next to her.

"As you heard this morning Professor Longbottom was attacked and rumor has it that he wounded the person who did it. Taking into account that he fought in the Second Wizarding War next to Harry Potter when he was just a student like us and that he worked as an Auror I think there is a big chance that the rumor it’s true."

"So?" Xiumin asked.

"So, this morning I saw Purtrefs clumsily eating with her right hand when she is left-handed." Mina answered.

"Wait, are you implying Purtrefs attacked a professor?" Suho asked with wide eyes.

"It’s not that impossible!"

"She could have hurt her hand before yesterday!" Suho complained.

"She was fine." Roro answered for her friends. "Before going into the Arena we had a fight and she pointed her wand at me. With her left-hand." Mina and Yu nodded at that.

"Wait, wait… you had a fight?" Jongdae asked.

"Long story, I’ll tell you later." She dismissed her brother with a shake of her hand. "But why would she attack Professor Longbottom?"

"Maybe he discovered her stealing something for Leveratag’s and her illegal brewing activities." Chanyeol offered.

"That’s what we think too." Mina confirmed.

"Then we should tell the Aurors when they arrive!" Kyungsoo said. "They need to know!"

"We can’t do that." Baek said. "If we go to the Aurors we will need proofs and all we have now are conjectures. Besides, if they find out who did it, they could hurt Mina or worse… I’m not letting that happen."

"Then what do you suggest?" Jongdae asked his best friend.

"I think we should keep investigating. Something here feels fishy. Even if they were brewing beer or something, attacking a Professor is worse than that." Everyone nodded to that.

"So, we just ask around or something?" Jongin asked.

"Yeah but we should be discreet. If we are too obvious they would get suspicious about it." Suho explained.

Everyone was deep in thoughts, their faces stern and frowning. It was a dangerous accusation but it did make sense after what Mina told them. However, going from selling illegal beer to attacking someone was a big step. And a former Auror at that. It was worrisome nonetheless.

"Well, looks like we just founded a Detective’s Agency. Everyone, welcome!" Jongdae joked making everyone giggle and easing the serious mood that had settled between them.

Detectives or not, Roro thought, they needed to find out the truth. She just hoped it wasn’t going to be too dangerous to do it.