Chapter 16

Magical lives are made of this.

If Roro had known that all it took for her best friends to be in the same room again without arguing was her broken heart, she wouldn’t have avoided them so much. She knew she wasn’t subtle at all. She had been skipping breakfast every morning in order to not talk to Chanyeol and she had Xiumin if, for the moment, they could have tutoring every evening after dinner in the kitchen. The Ravenclaw boy looked at her with curiosity but didn’t say anything against it. She silently thanked him for not prying. She was able to spend the day without thinking about the Gryffindor Keeper and not crying. However, the nights were another thing. She had fell asleep the whole last week after crying in silence, holding her sobs down and chest hurting. If her roommates noticed, they decided to give her privacy and didn’t say anything. Even though, she could see Linda’s worried eyes every morning after showering. The first morning after crying herself to sleep, Linda had hugged her tightly and then left the room with a “see you in class”. She knew Roro was going to skip breakfast. She was observant like that.

Avoiding everyone meant that she hadn’t been paying much attention to her best friend's situation. She felt bad about it but she had too much on her mind. Besides, it wasn’t as if she hadn’t tried to help them before. They were just too stubborn. That’s why she was surprised to see them walk in the kitchen after she had parted ways with Xiumin. They sat next to her, one on each side, and looked at her with worried looks.

"What is going on Roro?" Yu went straight to it.

"You can’t keep on avoiding everyone, you are not being exactly subtle about it…" Mina continued. Roro sighed.

"Are you two on speaking terms again?" She tried to change the subject.

"We agreed on a truce while we deal with you. Then we’ll talk." Mina explained looking at Yu for confirmation. The Ravenclaw girl nodded.

"Yes. Now, spill it. What’s wrong?" She took her right hand and squeezed it. Roro sighed.

"I, well, I guess I’m dealing with a broken heart." She tried to chuckle but it came out as a strangled moan. She breathed deeply again. She did not want to cry, again.

"What?!" Both her friends asked surprised.

"But, but… what happened with the caress and… you know?!" Mina asked.

"Yeah, last time we talked things were “Pleasantly uncomfortable”." Yu quoted what she had told her. Roro snorted avoiding their eyes.

"That was before I accidentally listened to how happy he was when Victoria confessed." She told her friends hearing two matching surprised gasps.

"HE’S DEAD MEAT!"  "HOW DARE HE?!"

Roro couldn’t help but giggle at her friends attitude. Then, small tears began to form on her eyes again.

"Was he playing with me?" She asked with a broken voice. "I don’t know or, I don’t want to think that…"

"Roro…"

"It’s okay." She sniffed and brushed the tears away. "Chanyeol isn’t a bad person. I was the one reading too much into that moment or whatever."

"Then why are you avoiding him?" Mina asked confused.

"Because it still hurts…" This made her two friends sigh.

"Well, I guess this explains why he has been hanging out with Victoria lately." Mina said thoughtful.

"Mina!" Yu reprimanded her oblivious friend.

"Sorry, sorry! I mean—"

"It’s okay Mi." Roro chuckled with a dejected expression. "That’s what couples do anyway… I was expecting it."

"They don’t act like a couple though."Yu said.

"Maybe they are trying to be subtle about it." Mina offered as an explanation.

"Or maybe they are not together at all. What did Jongdae tell you?" Yu asked. Roro looked at her friend surprised.

"How do you know he talked to me?"

"Well, he isn’t exactly friendly with Chanyeol. He's not avoiding him or hating on him but they seem tense together. I just assumed something happened between them again and with what you just told us, I guess I was right.

"Wow… You are a true Ravenclaw Yu." Mina whistled making the three of them giggle. Roro sighed squeezing both her friends hands.

"I missed you." She smiled at them. They smiled back. "Jongdae told me to talk to Chanyeol but if he’s hanging out with Victoria I don’t think there is much to talk about."

"So, what are you going to do?" Mina asked softly. Yu nodded to the question encouraging Roro to answer.

"Well, I guess I’ll try to calm down a bit and then act as if nothing happened. I’m hoping he understands I need space if I’m a bit colder towards him, right?"

"I don’t know Roro…" Yu looked doubtful. "I think you should talk it out with him. No talking always brings more problems than peace."

"I’m not ready yet. I will once I’m over him. It can’t be that hard." She shrugged trying to smile.

"Okay… You know we are here if you need us." Mina kissed her hair and hugged her. Then Yu joined the hug too.

"Yeah, I know."

It was nice to have them again. It didn’t matter if she was broken hearted, her heart would be warm again. She was lucky to have so many people worrying about her around.

"So Mina, do you want to tell us about your new friendship with that Hufflepuff boy?" Yu to change the subject. Mina rolled her eyes.

"Actually, he’s gay so, no innuendos there please." She laughed when both her friends looked at her surprised.

The rest of the evening was spent catching up about their time apart. When they left the Kitchen, Roro excused herself first because she had promised to help Linda with some Potions paper she was struggling so she left first. Waving goodbye to her friends and smiling softly. Mina and Yu looked at each other. The uncomfortable air around them felt suffocating.

"I’m sorry!" Yu almost shouted when Mina turned around to go back to the Slytherin dorms. She stopped and turned around.

"Yu…"

"Look, what I said was stupid. I know you have nothing against Purebloods. Hell, you have all the right in the world to have it but I know you don’t. I have been… struggling with a lot of things. My family, they are not exactly on good terms with me; Yixing is too busy with the competition and… I’m sorry Mina." She looked down. Mina approached her friend and hugged her. This surprised the Ravenclaw girl.

"I’m sorry too." She let go of her friend. "I didn’t mean to imply anything Yu. I… look, I’m just worried about Yixing because I don’t like those two Slytherins but you are right. It’s your life and I should have explained before…"

"Explain what?" Yu looked at her worried. "I did talk to Xing and he promised to spend less time with them. He said they were helping him but… I don’t like them either. They feel fishy." Mina sighed.

"I’m going to tell you something but please, please, hear me out before thinking I’m crazy please."

"Okay."

Mina told Yu everything. The bullying, the investigation she had done with Baekhyun and her suspicion that the Slytherins were up to nothing good.

"Mina… you should have told us something!"

"It’s okay Yu. Baekhyun helped me, they left me alone after that." Yu sighed.

"Look, if anything like that happens again. Please tell us. We are your friends." Yu looked at her with pleading eyes.

"I will. Don’t worry."

"Okay. So, what do you think they are up to?" Yu asked interested.

"What? You don’t think I’m crazy?" Mina asked surprised.

"Well, I don’t see why they should suddenly bully you. Also, those substances on the bathroom are suspicious and the nicknames, the secret talking… I do think you are right. They are up to no good." Yu nodded. "Do you know what those name could mean?"

"Wait Yu… What are you saying? They are part of a gang or something? They are students!"

"I don’t know! But it does look fishy. Maybe they are part of a gang that smuggles illegal substances inside the castle."

"Like trafficking?" Mina asked dubious.

"Maybe. We need to know more about them or know what are they doing in that bathroom."

"Well, good luck with that." Mina rolled her eyes.  "I don’t know how we are going to do that."

"I could ask Xing to pry, see if they tell him something."

"What?! No! It could be dangerous!"

"Mina, you said it yourself, they are just students. What could they do?"

"I don’t know…" Mina said squirming. "I think we should figure out why they befriended Yixing and what are they doing there and then theorize. I have a bad feeling about this." Yu sighed.

"Okay, but let me tell Xing at least that you heard them talk and what Baekhyun and you discovered. Maybe he has an idea or something."

"Okay. But don’t tell him about… the other thing." Mina whispered the last part.

"I promise." Yu smiled at her and her friend returned it. "I’m glad we are friends again."

"Yeah, me too."

"Well, I’m going to head back to the dorms and you should too. It’s almost curfew." Yu waved her goodbye and began walking towards the Ravenclaw tower.

"Goodnight!"

Mina waved back and smiled watching her friend leave. It felt nice to have their friends back. She was two steps away from the door to the Slytherin dorms when it opened up and she collided with the person coming out.

"I’m so sorry!" She apologized getting away. The person looked up and she found Baekhyun looking at her with something she couldn’t decipher. "A-are you okay?" She asked with a strangled voice.

"I’m fine." He answered not looking at her eyes. "You?"

"I’m fine, fine… Uhmm… well, I guess I’ll see you around." She said clumsily and tried to get into the dorm just to be stopped by the boy’s hand on her arm. "Baekhyun?"

"Are you dating that Hufflepuff boy?" He asked without looking at her or turning around. Mina looked surprised at him and turned around to stand in front of him.

"What? Jongin?" She asked snorting at the absurdity of the question.

"Are you or are you not?" He insisted.

"Well, I don’t see how is it any of your concern but no, I’m not." Mina answered crossing her arms. Baekhyun let a sigh escape. Mina lifted one eyebrow at him when he turned around to look at her.

"Why are you mad at me?" It was Mina’s turn to avoid his eyes. She shrugged. "Is that it? Just because?" He asked exasperated.

"I don’t want to talk about it." She said pursing her lips.

"Well, too bad." Baekhyun crossed his arms too. "Because I want to know what did I do so bad to make you avoid me."

"You did nothing. I just…" Mina huffed. "Look, it was a misunderstanding okay? I’m sorry."

"If it was nothing then explain it to me." He pressed her. He had a decided look on his eyes and Mina knew this was it but she was too exhausted to endure this humiliation right now.

"Look Baekhyun, it was nothing. I’m sorry I avoided you. It won’t happen again."

"I want to know."

"You can’t!" She exploded. "I don’t know who do you think you are to question me about my life but you shouldn’t. You saved my a couple times and for that I’m thankful but I don’t see how is it you business why am I moody or if I date a Hufflepuff or not." Mina could feel her heart pounding. She was so tired.

"Well, I consider it my business when the girl I like stops talking to me just because and begins hanging out with a dashing and handsome Hufflepuff. One that makes her laugh and seems cozy with." Baekhyun said avoiding her eyes this time and with a faint blush on his cheeks.

"W-what?" Mina asked with a trembling voice. Baekhyun sighed.

"You heard me." He looked embarrassed. "I don’t know what I did but I wish I hadn’t done it."

"I’m not talking about that!" Mina answered blushing too. "The… liking part." Baekhyun smirked, actually smirked, this time and looked at her.

"I don’t gift entire book collections to just anyone Mina. Nor do I keep secrets, help investigate or lend them my anti-bruising cream… I mean," He fidgeted. "I thought I was being very obvious—"

"YOU WERE NOT!" Mina interrupted him. "You were not… Oh my God." She put a hand to her chest, breathing deeply. "I think I need to sit down." She got closer to the wall and slid down. Baekhyun hurriedly got closer and crunched in front of her.

"Hey, are you okay? You look pale."

"I am… shocked, I guess." Mina giggled nervously. "So, hold up. Can you repeat it again please?" Baekhyun sighed and rolled his eyes.

"I like you." He said with a serious expression.

"Since when?"

"Well, for awhile… I mean, I kind of knew you had a crush on me." Mina let out a strangled moan and covered her face in embarrassment. This made Baekhyun chuckle. "You weren’t exactly subtle with your stalking—"

"I WASN'T STALKING YOU!" she interrupted.

"Then why did you follow and looked at me so much?" Baekhyun asked furrowing his nose in doubt. Mina cleared .

"It was more like… uhh… appreciating, okay?" Baekhyun laughed.

"Okay, then, you weren’t subtle with your appreciation technique. It got me curious and I don’t know it just kind of happened as I was getting to know you." Mina blushed again. "Stop blushing! Is not that bad, is it?" He asked concerned.

"What?! NO! I just…" Mina looked away shyly. "I never thought you would like me back, that’s all." Baekhyun bite his lower lip. This girl was too cute without trying.

"Well… Am I now entitled to know why were you avoiding me?"

"Well..." Mina felt the blush creep onto her ears. This was too embarrassing. "I kinda, for a bit, maybe, felt jealous because you thought Wendy was beautiful." She said it all in one breath and hide her head between her hands again. She felt her face about to explode. Baekhyun laughed at that. Then she felt his hands trying to pull her out of her hiding spot. When she looked up Baekhyun’s face was really close to hers. He was looking at her with a soft expression that made her legs felt like jelly. Good thing she was already sitting on the floor. Baekhyun was smiling at her.

"Well, you don’t need to worry anymore. I think you are the most beautiful girl in this school." He assured her.

"I am much more than a beautiful face" Mina blurted suddenly. Baekhyun giggled.

"I know Mina. I’m not talking about your looks. Not only your looks I mean. You are witty, smart, caring and your pride is almost as big as your heart. I’m not looking for a face, I’m looking for someone who can keep me on my toes and who isn’t afraid to confront me if it’s necessary." He explained caressing her left cheek. "And I would like you to be that. For me." Mina swallowed and nodded too intimidated to say anything. Then she scrunched her nose.

"Wait, are you asking me out or…?" Baekhyun laughed.

"Yes Mina, I’m asking you out. Does it work into your agenda?" He joked.

"Well, I’m sure I can make it work somehow." She back making Baekhyun smile wide.

"Well then…"

Mina was about to ask him what he meant by that when his lips crashed with hers. Talk about an impromptu first kiss. She had dreamt about this several times through the last years and now it was happening. What was she supposed to do? Well, she did what she always did when she didn’t knew the answer. Close her eyes and let it happen. Baekhyun’s lips were moist and, all in all, it was a much more wet business than what she imagined. But it also made her feel light and warm. She hoped the things racing like crazy on her stomach were the so famously known butterflies and not her dinner. Instinctively, she put her hands behind Baekhyun’s neck and opened a bit, letting the boy to inspect with his tongue. Okay, this was something else. Not bad she conclude. Not bad at all.  It was seconds before she felt out of breath that someone clearing their throat interrupted them. Both students separated quickly. However Baekhyun stood where he was, half hiding her from the other person.

"I guess I’ll see you later, right Baek?" Kyungsoo’s voice was embroiled with a smirk on the Slytherin’s face. Baekhyun rolled his eyes at this and turned around.

"Yeah, get lost." The Prefect boy shood his roommate away while the other entered the dorms laughing lightly. "I’m sorry about that." He apologized to her.

"N-no worries." She tried to play it cool. Mina wasn’t able to feel much of her legs yet. Baekhyun chuckled.

"You are too cute." He pecked her lips again.

"Shut up!" She whined hiding her face on his chest this time. Baekhyun giggled at that.

"Okay, okay… Should we get inside?"

"Can we stay here a bit? I think my heart could burst if I move right now…"

"Hahahaha okay." He sat next to her, side hugging the younger girl. "So, how long was this crush of yours been going on…?" He .

"Oh God, shut up Byun!"

"Make me." He dared her smirking.

Mina closed her eyes and leant in. She could get used to this. No matter how tired she was, she could do that.

 

 

 

 

Jongdae had tried it. He had tried it hard. When he was with Chanyeol he tried to keep a light conversation. He tried to avoid the elephant in the room but it was quite hard. Chanyeol wasn’t stupid. He knew Roro was avoiding him too. It was after a Quidditch practice that his friend exploded.

"Okay, that’s it." He said stopping abruptly on their way back to the dorms. It was a cold Saturday of February so there weren’t many students out and about. Jongdae turned trying to feign normalcy. "What's going on?"

"What do you mean?" He asked looking around.

"Dae, you know what I mean. You’ve been acting strange around me, again." He sighed."I know your sister is avoiding me too." He said looking away.

"Well, she must have a reason." Dae prayed he hadn’t sounded as hard as he heard himself say it. "Look Yeol—"

"No! Tell me what’s going on. I don’t know what I did this time and, frankly, I’m quite fed up being the bad guy all the time!" He said exasperated. "It is exhausting." Jongdae looked at his friend with softer eyes. He sighed and took a deep a breath.

"You are not the bad guy, Yeol. But, look, talk to Roro, okay?"

"I tried!"

"Try harder!" Jongdae breathed deeply again. "She is…upset." Chanyeol was about to interrupt him. "Hold up! I’m not saying she is right about it, I’m saying how she is feeling. She is hurt because something she heard." Jongdae stressed the last word.

"What, like a rumor or something?" Chanyeol looked at him confused. Dat sighed again. He was surrounded by hard heads.

"More like she stumbled, by accident, into a private conversation and heard something that deeply hurt her but she didn’t wait until the end of that conversation. Do you know what I mean?"

"I…2 Chanyeol looked confused again but suddenly his eyes grew wider as if something clicked in his mind. "Dae, listen it wasn’t—"

"I know!" Jongdae interrupted him. "I mean, I guessed it but… This isn’t a conversation I have to meddle in. You two need to talk things out, by your own will."

"I’ll try again but she is really good at avoiding me."

"Look Chanyeol, my sister isn’t a bad person she is just really sensitive and sometimes a bit stupid. She’s a teenager I guess." Chanyeol whispered a drowned “you too” that Jongdae decided to ignore. "If she doesn’t want to talk to you, she won’t unless you force her to do it. I don’t mean to violently force her, I’ll hex your arms before you could as much as touch her. But you have to push her into an unavoidable situation so you can talk to her, okay?" Chanyeol nodded and then sighed.

"Why does it have to be so complicated all the time?"

"Because that’s what High School is for. Unnecessary drama and parties." Jongdae joked resuming his walk back to the dorms. Chanyeol followed his friend trying to think of a way to force the young Gryffindor to speak to him without making her run away.

Again.

 

YAY! Relationship development :D As I said this is one of my favourite chapters because I had SO MUCH FUN writing that confession scene! Also, I like the contrast showed in here: both sides of being fifteen and in love, I guess. 

Another confession for today: Jongdae is my favourite character in this story! He's also my second bias (First being Chanyeol^^) and I love writing him. He's so sassy but awesome and genuinely nice :) I'm writing a Detective AU right now and I'm exploring him more which makes me excited xD

Anyway, thank you everyone for your kind words! <3 I decided to delete the previous post and concentrate on the story. However, your kind words really helped me feel better and don't think about it anymore ^^

I hope you like the update and I'm looking forward to hear your feedback! Thanks again for reading, subscribing and upvoting: you are all rockstars!:3

Love, 

R.