(9)

Freedom

9

The long look she has on her phone quickly changes when she hears Sooyoung asking her from the other side of the room. She turns her phone off and pockets it without any sound.

“So, you and this Seulgi girl… are that close?”

Joohyun doesn’t pay any attention to the one who is speaking and only focuses her eyes to stay planted on her TV screen, although her mind has been secretly wondering around Sooyoung’s question as well.

“Joohyun?”

“We are not.” She casts a quick glance at the doorway and catches her best friend’s sight. Well, it furthers her will for not responding at all when Sooyoung is using her knowing tone to annoy her.

“Really…?”

She hears a sloppy drag of footsteps getting nearer and in a second, she feels the couch deepen with another additional weight beside her. “I know there’s something going on here.” Sooyoung continues to probe her into question after question yet she doesn’t react until the said woman decides to poke her thus Joohyun responds with a yelp.

“Stop poking my you plank!” The older woman exclaims while she scoots away from Sooyoung’s persistent hands. She throws a glare when she sees her best friend leaning even more in her direction. “Yah! Go away!”

“I won’t until you tell me what truly happened yesterday.” Sooyoung pokes her side and Joohyun tries to block the countless attack with a cushion in return. She groans out loud when she feels like her efforts went futile as Sooyoung doesn’t seem to back down. “Stop!”

“Why did you end up in Seulgi’s back last night?” Her best friend’s question echoes clearly even with a pillow plastered over her face the whole time—an attempt by Joohyun to shut her up.

Her hands stop pushing the said pillow almost instantly. She gives her companion a confused look as she thinks she hears her wrong. “What did you say?”

“Wait,”

Sooyoung places the pillow down on her laps and stares at her surprised friend. Instead of answering directly, the chestnut-haired woman decides to inspect more of her best friend who looks completely in confusion. “Did you really not remember anything? Because I swore I saw you two going outside the bar.”

“We went outside because a guy was bothering me while I was intoxicated.”

“A guy was bothering you?” The taller woman furrows her brow in concern. “Were you okay? Did he try to do something to you?”

“I was okay. He was invading my personal space, but Seulgi was fast enough to stop him. She helped me.” Joohyun’s small smile appears and Sooyoung doesn’t miss it, she quietly sighs while shaking her head. “I told you not to drink excessively. You were lucky, you should thank her.”

The black haired woman nods and drops her gaze. “I know, I’m sorry.”

Sooyoung pats her shoulder and urges her to talk more with a smile. “What else did you remember?”

“We went to a convenience store,” Joohyun ponders while tilting her head as she plays with her fingers, clasping and unclasping it like a child would do. “I watched her eat and I lost my conscious no longer after that. I think I fell asleep?”

“And that’s why she decided to piggyback you all the way to the bar.” Sooyoung nods to herself and leans back on the couch. “She wasn’t lying then. I thought she was kinda suspicious at first, recalling from the way you told me about how you two met and how your supposed to be boss treated you quite unlikely earlier.” The bartender shrugs, she then wiggles her brows upside down. “Now, I know why.”

“She carried me the whole time?”

Joohyun blinks in surprise. “When I was unconscious?”

“Of course, you should remember if you were sober though.”

“I thought I was dreaming,” The quiet woman mutters to herself. “Guess, it really happened then.”

“What are you muttering?”

“Nothing.” Joohyun motions with a shrug of her shoulders. “She escorted me back right?”

“Yeah, but that’s not my point.” Sooyoung snaps her fingers in front of her best friend to gain her strewn focus. “Listen up. The reason for her acting that way towards you, well, I have a feeling that she might like you, Bae Joohyun.”

“And I’m not talking about a friendly thing here.”

Joohyun freezes in her place, eyes wide in an utter panic. It can’t be. She doesn’t like me that way!

She returns to her sense and shakes her head quickly to block any possibility of Seulgi liking her more than friends. “No. We’re not nearing that topic again.”

“What?” Sooyoung straightens her posture and folds her hands. She doesn’t like this pessimism in her best friend’ tone. “Why? Do you want to spend the rest of your life alone?”

“If it’s for the better then I won’t complain,” Joohyun mumbles lowly and looks away. If she has the ability to turn back time, she would like to go back to where everything is alright. Definitely, not that one time when her decision has made her whole life turns 180 degrees in misery.

“Aren’t you tired of hiding most of the time?”

As if something snaps in her back of mind at her own thrown question, Sooyoung immediately clamps shut. She has pretty much crossed the line.

Joohyun’s orbs are filled with nothing but pain, and Sooyoung suddenly has the urge to slap her own face for speaking up her mind thoughtlessly when her best friend turns to face her. “I-I didn’t mean to-”

“Do you really think it’s easy?” Joohyun chuckles and she knows very well that it wasn’t a real laugh.

“If only.”

Sooyoung can perfectly see hurt reflecting in those brown eyes and she feels bad almost instantly. “I’m sorry,”

“It’s not an easy task to do,” the older woman drawls desperately, her voice is barely steady, cracking on the edge as she recalls her painful memories. “I-I lost everything! My family, they even-“ Joohyun swallows the big lump inside . It tastes bitter, the truth tastes bitter in her own mouth.

“T-they even disowned me, when I told them that I am different, Sooyoung-ah.”

Sooyoung reaches her hand forward to touch Joohyun, but the latter draws back. Her heart shatters at the sight of her best friend breaking and she does her power to engulf her in a hug, whether Joohyun likes it or not. She’ll deal with it later.

“What should I do, Sooyoung-ah? What should I do?”

Nothing can describe how it really pains her heart to hear Joohyun asking her in that tone.

“I’m still the same Sooyoung you knew back then. Your childhood friend and your best friend. I know it’s been years, but I do believe they will accept you for who you are, sooner or later. They probably need their time and so do you. Be a strong woman that you are and I’m sorry for being an . I got your back, Joohyun-ah.”

She runs a palm on her back and coaxes the latter when she feels Joohyun trembling in her hold. Sooyoung remembers that particular day. It’s still vivid. The look of Joohyun’s crestfallen expression when the woman first appeared at the foot of her door, looking wasted with a luggage in tow, freezing in the night of December.

Seoul’s weather at that time was harsh and Sooyoung couldn’t imagine how long her best friend had stayed outside, waiting for her in front of her dormitory door with chattering teeth.

When they were already warmed by hot drinks, sitting comfortably after changing their clothes thus Sooyoung figured out the reason of Joohyun’s sudden appearance in Seoul. It turned out that the latter was leaving her hometown for good after being disowned by her family—for coming out in terms with herself, for being who she was, for being who she is now.

“I’ll never turn my back on you, I promise.” Sooyoung whispers and tightens their hug. “I love you, you know that right?”

She loves her dearly like her own family member and it hurts her knowing that Joohyun has no one to lean on when everything turned south at that time. Joohyun is such a sweetheart, a loving and kind woman, the softest human-being she ever knows. She surely doesn’t deserve this cruel fate.

The smaller woman’s bites her own lips and shuts her eyes close, holding in the feelings of being unwanted—a failure who brings shame to her own family.

“You deserve to be happy...” Sooyoung murmurs softly and she wants to believe it as well. “You really deserve to be happy, Joohyun-ah.”

It doesn’t take long before the said woman finally breaks down when she feels no longer able to keep everything bottled inside anymore.

X

“Hi.”

Seulgi brings her gaze to see a tall woman standing in front of her table. She stands and bows a bit, extending her hand in the process. “Hello, Sooyoung-ssi. My name is Seulgi, in case you forgot. Thanks for coming here at such a short notice as well.”

“No need for honorific and I do remember you.” Sooyoung shakes the stretched palm and withdraws her hand back. “How did you get my number anyway?”

Seulgi gestures them to take a seat first before answering with a sheepish smile. “I met your boss earlier this afternoon at the bar and she told me that your shift starts at 5 pm and so I planned to head back, but she gave me your number telling me if there’s something urgent-” She catches her doubtful look and holds her palm up. “I swear I don’t even know why she gave me your number. Besides, I’m not going to use it for ill purpose anyway.”

Sooyoung raises her brow while crossing her hands over her chest, examining her. “So, what’s the urgent thing?”

Seulgi huffs while taking a deep breath. She looks at her. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry, what? Why are you suddenly apologizing to me?”

“I know you don’t like me the first time we met and I’m sorry for making you worry about Joohyun’s well-being last night. Like I said before, I did nothing to her. She happened to be asleep and I didn’t know how to bring her back to the bar aside from doing a piggyback. No hard feelings, I’d react the same if a stranger brought my drunk best friend elsewhere.”

Sooyoung’s eyes flicker in a mild amusement. “You’re really fast in catching the situation.”

“Yeah, kind of.”

“Good. But I’m no longer disliking you, so rest assured. In fact, I’m thankful for your good intention. Thanks for helping her from that guy too.” Sooyoung offers a genuine smile and she catches her surprised look in response. She chuckles at the comical sight, both of them aren’t any different. “Joohyun told me this morning.”

“Ah… that’s why.” Seulgi nods repetitively as she bites her lips in hesitation. She throws a quick look towards the taller woman. “Is she alright? She doesn’t reply to my message so I’m kind of wondering.”

“So, the urgent thing was it? You were worried about her?” Sooyoung yields an open laugh and she finds herself rambling to explain. “It’s not like that, I’m just wondering. She was a bit wasted last night though-”

“I get it, I get it.”

Seulgi groans internally at the teasing tone. “Why do I’ve a feeling that you are not.”

“Joohyun is fine.” Sooyoung chimes with a wide smile as she takes a glance at her wristwatch. “That’s all you want me to answer right? My shift is starting soon and I’ll be going now.”

The brown-haired woman bolts up from her seat when Sooyoung begins to stand on the ball of her feet. She shakily asks the companion of her who looks amused. “C-can you give me her address???”

“For what? Didn’t I tell you that she is fine?”

“I want to check on her condition… but yeah, I shouldn’t be eager like this though.” Seulgi mumbles quietly, leaving Sooyoung to smile to herself.

“I’ll give it to you in one condition.” The bartender smirks as she leans forward and Seulgi can’t help but feel a bit lost when the former starts whispering something in her ear. “What?”

“Do it okay? I’ll send you her address later. Bye, Seulgi!”

X

“Who is it? Sooyoung has already left for her shift so she won’t be-“ Joohyun stops mumbling when she sees the one across her doorframe. She blinks again, watching the monitor to make sure that her mind doesn’t play any trick. “Seulgi?”

She presses the intercom and asks the standing figure outside. “Why are you here?”

“Oh, hi to you too, Joohyun!”

She almost smiles back but halts her own. Though Seulgi can’t see her smile, this isn’t the right thing to do. “Hi. Why are you here?”

“Can I borrow your bathroom for a second?”

“For what?”

Joohyun has the growing doubt at her sudden presence and so, she won’t let her in without any valid excuse. Besides, who in the hell gave her address to her boss?

“I want to pee.”

Seulgi even squirms weirdly in front of her door to emphasize her point. “Do you want me to pee here?”

“Wait a bit.”

Her forehead creases slightly, but she opens her door nonetheless, letting Seulgi make her way inside with a backpack in tow. “Just walk in that direction, the bathroom is right in the corner. It has a sign so you won’t mix it up with other rooms.”

“Okay.”

But to her surprise, Seulgi doesn’t even move from her position even after her earnest explanation about its exact location. “Aren’t you going to use the bathroom?”

“Nope. I lied so you would open your door.”

It irks her when she watches her smiling triumphantly in return, no longer posing agonizing look. “Let’s go out.”

She gets tricked again.

And Joohyun really should see this coming. She sighs and points towards the wooden door. “Get out.”

X

“What in the world am I doing here?”

Joohyun’s frustration comment makes its way to her ear as she reaches the end of their running path.

Seulgi spins her body and starts to jog in place, waiting for the other woman to catch up while cooling down. She grins when her eyes catch a sight of Joohyun dragging her feet—no longer running, with a small white towel dangling on her neck.

“Who in their right mind running from a bridge after the bridge at night? From Hangang Bridge to Donjuk Bridge and ending up at Banpo Bridge, seriously? Is it supposed to be a healing treatment? You should just rest at home. And to top it all, it’s 3 miles in a total! I can’t even-“

“Excuse me.”

She stops complaining when two people run past her mumbling something like, “That one must be a homebody who doesn’t like exercising.” Along with snickers and Joohyun deadpans on the spot until Seulgi’s abrupt call snaps her back to function.

She grabs her dangling towel and smacks it on the air to pent out her emotion. “What is their problem?”

“Hurry up!”

The taller woman hollers from the other side and Joohyun raises her fist in return, feeling irritated by the running people before and with how her hairs turn sticky after running for an hour or so, Seulgi still has guts to fuel her even more. She pants out with difficulty. “Gosh… Stop commanding me!”

When Joohyun finally comes to a stop beside her thus Seulgi starts clapping her hand in fake celebration. “Finally.”

“Stop being annoying.” The older woman growls, but once her eyes start scanning the view, has slackened openly from gasping in silent surprise.

“Why are you bringing me to this place?” She asks albeit a bit late, the dancing lights are mesmerizing and she is at lost for words.

Seulgi cranes her neck to look at her and beams, pointing towards the slow and calm flow of Han River which gets illuminated by the light in front of them. “It’s nice right?”

“It’s high.”

Joohyun only realizes it just now as they stand closer against the railing of Banpo bridge. She gulps when she takes a hasty look of the water underneath them, as beautiful as it seems, the river is still deep and cold. She takes a big step backward. “I’ll be here.”

“But it’s safe here.” Seulgi motions at the safety protector below while Joohyun doesn’t buy it. She stubbornly crosses her hands, making a ‘no’ sign for the younger woman to see. “It’s safer here.”

Joohyun’s black hair is tied back in a ponytail, making it bounce sideways whenever she expresses herself in displeasure with a shake of her head. Seulgi smiles at the adorable sight and when their gazes meet, she can’t help but cough inwardly. “You’re unbelievable.”

They have been bantering quite long, but their arguments do not seem to over. Seulgi has to laugh at their silly banter. Her dying giggles stop surfacing as she leans on the barrier, facing the smaller figure.

“What are you afraid of?”

“Falling.” Joohyun utters in a lower voice, eyes scanning around.

Metaphorically speaking or not, she does really afraid of falling. Her gaze shifts from Seulgi then to their surroundings before it finally ends on her running shoes. She lifts her head and smiles after a silence-inducing moment between them, “I’m afraid of stumbling upon something and end up jumping freely off the bridge if I get closer to your place.” Joohyun elaborates with a chuckle from her place. “The view is beautiful but dangerous as well.”

“Let’s scream our lungs out then.” Seulgi softly initiates, spinning around to face the river.

“What?”

“I...!”

A sharp intake of breath. “HATE!”

“VEGETABLES!!!”

Joohyun jumps in her place at the sudden yell coming from Seulgi. The said woman turns to her, a satisfied smile playing on the rim of her lips as she beckons her closer. Upon seeing Seulgi’s look, Joohyun has to admit that her smile does sweet and contagious. She doesn’t even have any control over her own lips, it reaches her cheeks without any effort and that one fact has begun to scare her.

“Do it like me. It works for me to relieve my stress away.”

“No one will hear you screaming. The noise from cars passing by will drown your voice.” She feels a gentle hand pulling her forward. “Take a deep breath and shout it out. You will be feeling so much better.”

“Besides, I’ll be here. Don’t be afraid okay?”

Seulgi’s tender whisper brings her back from her trance, along with an encouraging pat on her shoulder. Without her realizing it, she has stood in front of the railing of the Han River’s bridge alongside the latter who beams proudly at her. “You can do it.”

“Palm your mouth like this if you want to make it louder,” Seulgi demonstrates and Joohyun mimics it. “Like this?”

“Yup.” The younger woman dismisses their quick lesson with a grin. “You’re ready to go!”

“Alright then,”

Cupping her own mouth with both palms to make her sound louder, Joohyun then takes a very deep breath before screaming at the top of her burning lungs, “I WANT...”

Seulgi watches in silence as Joohyun closes her eyes, still belting out her words over the thin air.

“TO BE...”

“...HAPPY!!!”

Joohyun’s lips are trembling while yelling those words with longing. Tears are seeping unknowingly but she feels as if something heavy on her shoulder slowly disappears. I want to. I really want to.

Opening her lids to the still breathtaking view of the Han River, Joohyun can’t help but smile to herself. It feels nice.

She blinks back her remnant tears as she spins in place to fully face Seulgi, smiling gratefully at her. “Thank you, Seulgi.”

“I’m feeling better now, all thanks to you.”


Hi! Thanks for subscribing, commenting and upvoting! I really really do appreciate it! ^^
Sorry for the mistake and I hope you enjoy it~
Have a good day everyone!

Edit: AND OH MY GOD LUP 2! WHY ARE THOSE GIRLS SO ADORABLE?! AND CONGRATS FOR WINNING THE AWARD BABIES!! YOU GUYS DESERVE IT!!!